• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If Disney sold Star Wars who should buy it?

Who should own it?

• Warner Bros

Votes: 7 9.6%
  • George Lucas

Votes: 20 27.4%
  • Sony

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • Nintendo

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Universal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Electronic Arts

• Ubisoft

• Viacom

• Microsoft

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Evilore

Votes: 14 19.2%
  • None, let the Franchise die.

Votes: 17 23.3%
  • Other: They go independent or someone else.

Votes: 7 9.6%

• Total voters

JordanN

Banned
kjIInQC.jpg

So ever since Disney bought the Star Wars franchise and its related assets back in 2012, it pretty much sucked.

But with rumors that they're starting to bleed badly as a result of Covid-19 disrupting the movie industry, what if they decided to free their hands from the abomination they created?

Who would make the best heir to one of America's most memorable soap opera franchise? Give it back to George Lucas, even if he's pushing 76 years old?

Last edited:
kjIInQC.jpg

So ever since Disney bought the Star Wars franchise and its related assets back in 2012, it pretty much sucked.

But with rumors that they're starting to bleed badly as a result of Covid-19 disrupting the movie industry, what if they decided to free their hands from the abomination they created?

Who would make the best heir to one of America's most memorable soap opera franchise? Give it back to George Lucas, even if he's pushing 76 years old?

House of mouse is full on brand sales. They will keep Star Wars and milk the shit out of it via toys, lunch boxes, shirts and all the other swag you can imagine. If push came to shove Disney would shut down parks across the world and slow movie production, keeping merchandise sales as the main focus.

spaceballs-merchandising-flamethrower.jpg

Last edited:

JordanN

Banned
House of mouse is full on brand sales. They will keep Star Wars and milk the shit out of it via toys, lunch boxes, shirts and all the other swag you can imagine. If push came to shove Disney would shut down parks across the world and slow movie production, keeping merchandise sales as the main focus.

spaceballs-merchandising-flamethrower.jpg

But I've heard they're not actually making money on the toys? And when Disney doesn't like something, they get rid of it.

They use to own a hockey team but for whatever reason, they sold the mighty ducks in 2005.

Last edited:
But I've heard they're not actually making money on the toys? And when Disney doesn't like something, they get rid of it.

Small part of a huge merchandising market. I would like to see the money from all the merchandise related to Star Wars.

Joe T.

I don't have confidence in any major studio today. Political correctness/"woke"ness and prioritizing the almighty dollar over everything else has suffocated creativity and put quality in the backseat. I'd have no problem watching Star Wars whither away until the market course corrected, assuming it ever does.

I might have tossed James Cameron's name out there if he wasn't so consumed with Avatar sequels.

I don’t think Star Wars will ever not make money. They just need to get some Kevin Feige esque talent in there. Hollywood studios is like the only park sold out of reservations because of Star Wars

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
It sucked before they bought it. While it still sucks I don't think they made anything as bad as episodes 1-3 (milking and mostly forgettable are certainly an upgrade). It's fandom is so crazy that no matter what they produce, it will still be profitable. I don't see them selling it, especially now. The better question would be, who could buy it.

Last Jedi, Rogue One, Mandalorian, Fallen Order, final Clone Wars season... LOL

Star Wars was a dead franchise before Disney picked it up, and George isn't gonna be alive forever:

What if the inheritor of the Star Wars legacy screwed up and made a lousy movie? Wouldn't that be painful? Not at all, Lucas says. "I've always thought I did a bad job. This might make me feel better." - Excerpt from Skywalking: The Life and Films of George Lucas

Everything Star Wars has been shit since RotJ in 1983 (and some argue it has been since ESB).

Mandalorian is a glimmer of hope, but it's also flawed as hell in its own way.
And I personally expect the second season to suck major donkey balls.

GeorgPrime

Banned
Iam sure Amazon or Microsoft would buy it.

Amazon to create more originals for their Prime Video Service
Microsoft to add more exclusive Star Wars games to the Xbox

They are literally the only ones who have enough money to buy it

Kev Kev

lmao thought i was being so cheeky choosing EviLore and Lucas, only to see the results and find out everyone else did as well :messenger_tears_of_joy:

JordanN

Banned
Iam sure Amazon or Microsoft would buy it.

Amazon to create more originals for their Prime Video Service
Microsoft to add more exclusive Star Wars games to the Xbox

They are literally the only ones who have enough money to buy it
George sold Star Wars for around $4 billion.

Given the lackluster performance under Disney's hands or if they were desperate to get rid of it, I could see them offering to sell it at a reduced price of maybe $3 billion?

Also, don't forget some of these studios on the list actually belong to larger companies. Like Warner Bros is actually apart of Warner Media who make $9.6 billion a year.

Last edited:

JimiNutz

Banned
Quentin Tarantino is easily the best pick.
He kind of hates Star Stars so would likely do something radically different with it.

I know he's expressed an interest in Star Trek before. I'd be so interested in seeing what he'd do with a property like Star Wars lol

luffie

Disney will never sell it, selling it means the utter failure of buying one of the world's biggest ip and flunking it in the worst possible way.
People who votes for lucas is also weird, Lucas, apart from the original trilogy, has never made a single good SW movie or film afterwards. The original trilogy was great because of its time, it was innovative, but the plot certainly doesn't stand the tetst of time.

Star Wars just need to strip off management and give it to someone who has credible record of delivering like Feige or Nolan. Ultimately, the management is what holding Star Wars from moving forward.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Disney should keep it.

Now the Skywalker saga is over they should take a break and then focus on individual stories in the universe. No trilogies or sagas. Just more movies like Solo/Rogue One.

In about 15-20 years then can start working on a new multi film story.

Super Mario

Banned
No chance in hell Disney gets rid of it unless they are on their death bed. Star Wars is an iconic franchise. The parks, the movies, the merchandise, all are huge. Just because the internet didn't like the movies, doesn't mean they are going to sell it.

Fbh

Shueisha, and then they go full anime with it.

The Rise of Skywalker already laid the groundwork:

"I'm all the Sith!!!!"
"Thanks to my friends I'm all the Jedi!!!!"
"N-NANI??!?!?!"

mekes

I'm not a fan of the franchise but I do like the original trilogy. I'd take the next movie somewhere completely different, in as far as the team responsible for creating the movie. I honestly feel youd get a better movie from taking the bigger risk in who makes it. I feel you can make something completely different and show the versatility of the universe rather than tugging on fans heart strings whilst trying desperately to shoehorn in some new blood on screen.

Cutty Flam

Banned
Might as well just hand it over to Nintendo and replace the pitiful cast with Star Fox characters. Even Slippy Toad is less of a bitch than 80% of the cast Disney hired

I think Lucas was smart enough to know that he created an incredibly closed scifi universe and that it going to be exhausted in a few more decades. We already see how stale it all is. That is why he sold it to Disney while the price was still high and laughed all the way to the bank.

The past few decades sort of became the era of creating these multi-million and then multi-billion franchises. Puting so much money at stake, these are obviously started to tilt torwards more and more about profit maximalisation and risk management. They must choose the "safe bet" against anything which contains even the resembelence of artistic, creative, curious or controversial topics. But once in a while there are some disruptors in a face of young and passionate artists or visionaries with a pretty spot on understanding both how a brand is being built and handled and also how to mix it with values as well. One of the best recent examples is Kevin Feige who was able to pull of something really remarkable with the Marvel cinematic universe (and I'm aware that it was a mixed bag of movies in quality wise, but in overall he's kinda nailed it). So I believe if Disney could find someone equally talented, passionate and caring - Star Wars can be easily saved and redeemed. Otherwise no matter who's going to buy it...

VAL0R

Banned
I used to looove Star Wars as a dumb little kid. I think I legit hate it now or find much of it insufferable at any rate. What a great fall that franchise has had.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I think Star Wars has been in a weird place ever since the Prequels came out. I love it but it definitely doesn't have that rare luster that it once had.

Disney has basically done a "C+" job of handling the franchise which is fine I guess. Every movie they've made has at least had some neat spectacle even if I might disagree with the direction they went in.

Really they may as well just keep on cranking out movies until something sticks.

Silent Duck

Don't sell it... save it.
Only three directors are capable of saving the franchise:
Tommy Wiseau (The Room), Neil Breen (Fateful Findings), and Derek Savage (Cool Cat Saves the World).
I would have said Uwe Boll (House of the Dead), but I think he retired.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
kjIInQC.jpg

EviLore EviLore . Look at how well he's kept GAF up since 2004. Already 15-years well into business. No joke, he's already the 3rd most chosen in the polls. I'm not giving it back to Lucas unless he plans on releasing the original cuts without the changes and editing.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Lucas was right when he said that it was his movie, he paid for it, he is going to do what he wants with it. He was right because, ultimately, Star Wars spoke to certain people of a time and place, and that time and place passed. Now it's just a damn name, and that was going to happen no matter what. Disney's handling of it has been total bullshit, but some variant of that would have happened no matter what.

Just give it back to Lucas and let, once and for all time, be Star Wars the thing that Lucas did. Love it or hate it, love Lucas or not, that is Star Wars.

Top Bottom