• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"If the game doesn't interest me, I won't enjoy it." Are you usually right?

Speevy

Banned
Often we tell ourselves that certain games don't appeal to us for whatever reason. Perhaps it's the genre, developer, style, or any number of other things. No one should be forced to play a game they're not interested in. But in the interest of expanding our horizons or perhaps bored curiosity, we sometimes take the plunge anyway. That game you would have never bought 2 years ago now sits in your collection.

Now, you could have been right when you originally thought "I'll hate this." but then again, it could surprise you. How well are you usually able to guess about these things? How often are you surprised by a formerly unappealing game?

Jacobi

Banned
I never buy games which I don't like, because they are simply THAT expensive (Europe).

But there IS a little story : I hate EA. Their ego-shooters have normally a bad framerate and are full of scripted events and linear level design. Then I got Medal of Honor : Frontline and Nightfire. Frontline sucked hard, it was SO average. Nightfire was okay though, average but OK, but the Multiplayer was only fun at the Austrian level with the bazooka-shooting.

flsh

Banned
I'm right mist of the time. The only time I was completely wrong was with Ratchet and Clank 2, and that's after not liking the first one. I also didn't care much for Tales of Symphonia, but after it was released I changed my mind and decided to give it a shot.

Borys

Banned
If a game doesn't interest me at all(like most futuristic SP shooters - in this example it was Deus Ex) but it gets rave reviews (like Deus Ex) and incredible word of mouth (Deus Ex) then I'll buy it.

(2 weeks later)

That was quite a ...surprise and happened to be my favourite RPG of all time, even better than Ultima 7.

CoolTrick

Banned
I almost never buy games that don't interest me. Otherwise, why would I want to waste my time with them, when there are plenty of others games I don't have that do interest me?

Boogie

Borys said:
If a game doesn't interest me at all(like most futuristic SP shooters - in this example it was Deus Ex) but it gets rave reviews (like Deus Ex) and incredible word of mouth (Deus Ex) then I'll buy it.

(2 weeks later)

That was quite a ...surprise and happened to be my favourite RPG of all time, even better than Ultima 7.

Deus Ex love + 1000

Ironclad

I try to keep an open mind regarding games. Sure, there are some games that I am more interested in than others and there are certain games that I just won't buy and I am usually right on this. A good example for me would be sports games. I don't really care for sports games so I don't buy them. I have played sports games in the past and have enjoyed some for their gameplay, but not enough to purchase them and seriously put as much time as some people put into them.

123rl

It depends on how a game interests me way before I can say whether or not it'll be enjoyable. I've played games that I've hated just to prove a point to myself that I can finish it

If it's main selling point is its license or that it's "street" (that's me trying to sound cool :D ) then I am just not going to bother playing it. I don't care how good its reviews are, they mean nothing to me because I can almost be certain that the game will suck

But if a game is sold on its gameplay and gets praise from impartials (forums, friends, shop owners etc) then I'm much more likely to enjoy it.

Or just stick the name "Mikami" on the front cover and I'll buy it right away :lol

duckroll

I don't think I've ever really enjoyed a game that I was completely uninterested in at all. What does happen though is that sometimes I'll buy a game for non-quality related reasons (I like the franchise, a certain composer/artist/director/whatever, or I liked the cover art) and expect the game to really suck. Sometimes it does, sometimes it surprises the heck out of me. Although it should be noted that as negative as I might seem about many things, for me to be completely turned off by a game so much so that I'm convinced it's shit before playing it, it's pretty much always bad. That isn't the same as games I boycott though. For example I'll never buy Radiata Stories or Stelladeus simply because the previous games from the developers (Star Ocean 3 and Hoshigami) were so utterly bad that I feel the need to vote with my wallet sometimes.

RiZ III

There are some games that really interest me but I can't ever come to enjoy them. Fable, Phantom Dust, Otogi, some others.

On the other hand there are some games which I have found suprisingly fun.

jman2050

My initial impressions of a game, based on viable data, is about 99% indicative of how I enjoy the game. The SOLE exception was Kirby;s Adventure, which I thought was going to suck, but then became one of my favorite platformers ever.

But yeah, if a game doesn't interest me from the start, chances are I won't like it.

evil ways

The majority of the time, yes. I hate Pokemon, hate the show, hate the toys, the merchandise etc., so it's a given that I will hate the games no matter what. Same with Golf.

So the bottom line for me is, if the game is based on something that I know I dislike then there's no possible way I will enjoy it.

Ranger X

Pretty much always right. There's a couple of mistake i usually make allusion to (and get flamed sometimes) like .... arrrgh... no.. i won't... say.... ... LOI. :D

pjberri

Crotchety Old Man
I have absolutely no interest in licensed games, for me, it's like taking half the reason I like playing games away. Every now and then one comes along that is alright to play, but even so, I don't get into them that much.

Pimpbaa

I'm pretty good at guessing what I won't like. For instance, I know for a fact I will never ever like a Madden game regardless of how good it is. Although that could be a bad example since I don't like football. Usually I can tell if I will like a game or not by reading reviews and peoples opinions from here. I think the only time I was surprised at how much I liked a game was Call of Duty (since I hate realistic war themed first person shooters).

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Yeah, I hardly play anything that's not an RPG (action and strat included), 2D oldskool style game, shmup, or fighter, because games outside of these genres tend not to interest me at all, with very few exceptions.

spliced

Yes I'm almost always right, 2 exceptions I can think of were Virtua Fighter and Half-Life/Counter-Strike. It wasn't so much the specific games as much as those Genres. FPS didn't really do much for me and I hated fighting games, but those 2 blew me away.

Gattsu25

Banned
not always right, with the sole exception of war-based games. I seem to have become completely bored of them and, with the exception of Battlefield II, any games that take place and focus on previous or current war or military conflict have not been able to hold my interest. Call of Duty 2 interests me, though.

I generally horde and don't play RPGs though...so that's one genre where I guess you can say I'm mainly wrong...tell myself I will be interested...and then loose interest in only to be fooled by the NEXT game.

Ruas

Banned
yeah im usually right. i liked mvp even though im not interested in sports games, that the only time i can remember.

Top Bottom