• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If Xbox goes third party, how this is affecting you?

Not really. From my PC-biased perspective, Microsoft and Sony are already third-party.

That's your (limited) prospective.

The real prospective is that Nintendo and Sony hardware has been locked out of MS games since forever and that will change next week

It's an absolutely massive change of scenario

Last edited:

Hudo

That's your (limited) prospective.

The real prospective is that Nintendo and Sony hardware has been locked out of MS games and that will change next week

It's an absolutely massive change of scenario
well, the OP asked how it would affect me. And it wouldn't.

I've been PC + Nintendo since the end of the PS3 era. But I guess it's cool for Playstation-only and Nintendo-only people since Microsoft can offer some genres that Sony and Nintendo themselves don't give a shit about (or are not able to deliver due to lack of expertise).

Last edited:

MayauMiao

Doesn't affect me as I already see Xbox as a dead brand. I just don't have any hope for whatever Xbox is doing for its next gen console seeing how the brand seem to lost its purpose.

hemo memo

Gold Member
For me? Nothing really. 2 months ago I would’ve gave a very different answer though as a previously main Sony player. Now I got PC for everything and Switch for Nintendo. PS5 is now redundant as well as Xbox as even more when they go third party.

Last edited:

Skelterz

There’s a serious 3rd person hardcore shooter multiplayer problem on PS and since naughty dog just cancelled there online game this announcement could be gold dust in regard to gears of war coming over, Plus lost odyssey and blue dragon would be big wins.

I have a PS5 but just play most games on the Series X. So won't affect me this gen. Like and hope there to be a next box, but if I need to game only the PS6, so be it. This isn't a SEGA moment that ripped my heart to shreds to the point it made me not want to go to work the next day or go out on the weekend; I never love or support a gaming company as much as I do for SEGA Japan. Even now I'll bleed blue SEGA blood with a just bit of blue Cardiff City blood mixed in for good measure

Only my love for Jackie Chan, Tom Savini and Michael Schumacher come close for my love of SEGA and the BlueBirds

PC gaming isn't for me, sorry to the master race. Nintendo and their fans can just do one...

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I just wonder how this will affect third parties. With Xbox gone, and after the success of the Switch, who will they cater to more, Nintendo’s Switch 2 or the PS5/6? Or somewhere in the middle where tech isn’t pushed as much?

Still don't know how I feel but Halo MCC with trophies is a great proposition...
Also competition in the market is a good thing, at the same time you can ask if MS has been any competition at all in the last 10 years 🤷‍♂️

lefty1117

Gold Member
Do I still have access to xbox ecosystem? XBL, friends & social stuff, apps, my back catalog? That's the main thing for me and if they do decide to get out of hardware, will be my only real question. Back in the XB1 days I thought their endgame was to go MS-DOS style and basically get their OS and services on lots of different devices. Maybe that's what they'll end up doing. Though I do like their hardware, it's not why I bought an xbox.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
To be honest, Xbox did things wrong, I had an Xbox 360, but with the red lights error, it made me so angry that I went with Playstation and swore I would never have any Xbox brand product... and look, the promise was kept. .

Since that error, it was one of the key points of the brand's decline.

Havoc2049

I think people are being a little optimistic about how many games MS is going to port to other systems. If we totalled all the games mentioned in this thread and others, it would total probably around 30 games.

Taycan77

I'm interested in half a dozen Xbox franchises such as Forza (Motorsport & Horizon), Flight Sim, Starfield and the odd other.

Not enough to make me buy an Xbox console or go back to PC gaming. But I would pick 'em up on PS5. The aesthetic, exploration and chilled nature of Starfield interests me. But I always thought there'd be an opportunity to buy a Complete Edition on PlayStation. I was expecting that to be PS6 but looks like PS5 Pro will be the jump in point.

I think people are being a little optimistic about how many games MS is going to port to other systems. If we totalled all the games mentioned in this thread and others, it would total probably around 30 games.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if MS ported 30 title in the next 18-24 months. Especially when you take into account compilations and back catalogue titles that have had no release on PlayStation.

Last edited:

mrMUR_96

Quite a few games I'd be happy to play on PS5 because I can't be bothered to upgrade my PC (plus very overpriced). Stalker 2, Hellblade 2 and Indy for sure, hopefully fable turns out good as well.

Havoc2049

I'm interested in half a dozen Xbox franchises such as Forza (Motorsport & Horizon), Flight Sim, Starfield and the odd other.

Not enough to make me buy an Xbox console or go back to PC gaming. But I would pick 'em up on PS5. The aesthetic, exploration and chilled nature of Starfield interests me. But I always thought there'd be an opportunity to buy a Complete Edition on PlayStation. I was expecting that to be PS6 but looks like PS5 Pro will be the jump in point.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if MS ported 30 title in the next 18-24 months. Especially when you take into account compilations and back catalogue titles that have had no release on PlayStation.
So including new games over the next two years, you seriously think MS is going to release like 40-45 games in two years on the PS5 and Switch/Switch 2?

keefged4

I'm PC mainly, with a sprinkling of PS5 and switch on the side, so it won't. Will be nice to see Rareware titles on other platforms though I do admit.

Taycan77

So including new games over the next two years, you seriously think MS is going to release like 40-45 games in two years on the PS5 and Switch/Switch 2?
Ports would include new titles with timed exclusivity - Hellblade 2 for example. MS will want their big hitters and legacy titles available on PlayStation and (if possible) Switch/Switch 2. So many collections they can release to catch people up with franchises. Once they're into year 3 and beyond they'd obviously just be focused on new releases unless they start remastering 360 and earlier era titles.

Who? Google failed. If MS leaves they failed. Anybody want a 5k console from apple? Hopefully the PC resurgence continues because console space goes to shit if Xbox leaves.

You are right PC hardware is so cheap right now, NVIDIA is selling GPUs for peanuts :D

Evil Sony must be stopped

lethial

Reeeeeeee
Won't bother me, my XSX will still work and play games lol I have a decent pc rig as well to cover other games.

Last edited:

DragonNCM

I'm fine because I always have 2 consoles+ PC & I don't give a shit about exclusives. I just want to play good games. Maybe they will make me a favor & I can play all MS games on next PS6.
That will be grate....more savings for me.

RGB'D

You are right PC hardware is so cheap right now, NVIDIA is selling GPUs for peanuts :D

Evil Sony must be stopped
My point is that raising the cost of consoles will lessen the delta between PC and consoles. Not that PCs are cheap. They are also scaleable and software is cheaper and discounted earlier than consoles.

Top Bottom