• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If Xbox goes third party, how this is affecting you?

Not much, haven't been involved in their ecosystem in years, mainly because I don't really give a shit about their game offerings. Just hoping this doesn't cause a super complacent Sony.

I’m very disappointed they never built on the momentum they started to build with 360. That console had its issues no doubt but I still thought it was great and something to improve on going forward.

They have been a frustrating experience ever since from a personal point of view and seeing the adulation for the likes of Spencer when you weigh it against what’s been delivered , sincere and with some people I believe insincere, it only bemused me more.

I’m also sick of the weak narrative excuses people push for them and they themselves have done this too.

1) Xbox One worst generation to lose. Right , I get it, digital library’s etc carry forward to next platform. Conveniently forgetting there are new people joining gaming all the time and they have start to somewhere and what better then to make you their choice to start but no, we can’t have that.

2) Blaming COVID for Halo Infinite’s mediocre showing. We were a handful of months into a pandemic when you showed off that game and the game itself and the new consoles have been years into planning.

3) “we are learning” “we need to do better” rinse and repeat. Get people in who will do better then.

4) and now this, people saying releasing on PlayStation makes sense conveniently forgetting they already release their games on millions of PCs, phones , tablets and Samsung TVs. How is releasing on PlayStation going to suddenly sort out the issues?? It’s clearly a management issue.

They did a poor job with the Xbox One and Series consoles . Are people going to say there was no other group of people that could have done a better job than they have now?

All they are doing is devaluing the Xbox console even further because of their own attitudes and failures. Well fucking bravo.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
As a primarily PS5 user, the only way it really affects me is I might buy an Xbox published game or two now.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Not at all.
Only thing I want is to get gears trilogy out of the fucking 360. Anywhere. Can be pc or ps5.
But if not - I still have my 360 for that trilogy

Crayon

Nothing in the short term. The rest depends on what happens when Nintendo and Sony stop playing nice.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Not much really. Gamefly will continue to be my main source of non Nintendo or game pass games.

Last edited:

Bond007

It doesnt.
One less console to buy next gen. A consolidation of sorts for me.

The reality is- there isnt much they offer these days. The way i see it- you NEED exclusives to justify having specific consoles. Anything else is stupid.
I own every console each generation to benefit playing wherever i want for any give release. The XBox made itself useless, nor do i need to buy new releases if i chose to play on theirs.

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
They will waste money, time and man power to make another inferior version, so maybe this will affect me with less quality/ quantity/delayed games.

Killjoy-NL

It doesn't.

Never bought one, never bought their games and tbh, in my entire life I've only ever seen one OG Xbox and two X360s.

That's it, so it basically didn't exist already.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
No negative impact here.

It just means I stop using my Xbox and use the PS5 as my only console.

gothmog

Gold Member
Xbox leaned a little too hard into the fanboy scene, so if this news is true maybe they're finally growing up.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Actually, what might change is I get rid of game pass and just up my GameFly subscription. Maybe go from 2 to 4. But that all depends on how much Sony raises their PS+ costs.

Bartski

Gold Member
Not in the slightest. I have both consoles, ps+ premium and gamepass ultimate. Microsoft releasing gamepass games at full price on Playstation means I'll still be playing them on subscription.

Generic

I don't like the idea of a single company having a monopoly on the high-end console industry. Remember the early PS3 days or the Xbox One reveal? Imagine that but without anyone to put the competition in check.

JCK75

I hate platform exclusives, I think it's awesome MS is going to include other platforms.. I'll still choose to play on my PC and Series X over my PS5 because I like getting more than 3 hours of battery life out of my controller.

jimmypython

not much personally...sad to see this if true. But we need a strong Sony competitor to keep them in check. Healthy competition is good.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
Honestly makes zero difference to me. I already own a good PC and I play all MS’s games there.

Both PlayStation and Xbox are basically just budget PCs in a box now. I don’t see why we need to have two different console ecosystems when they are both so similar to each other
Same, except I apply some of the same logic on Playstation vs PC. Which is partly why I'm 100% sure all consoles as we know them (and PC for thar matter) will die in the next decade or so to be reborn in a different form. Xbox would only be the start.

Generic

Actually, what might change is I get rid of game pass and just up my GameFly subscription. Maybe go from 2 to 4. But that all depends on how much Sony raises their PS+ costs.
I'm genuinely worried about Sony increasing the price of Ps+ even more :(

Pantz

Already made changes a while back. Due to early rumors and that they kept screwing up over and over.
Completely stopped buying games for Xbox (which was my main digital library).
Now focusing on getting enough Microsoft Rewards points to keep the free Game Pass flowing. At least until that runs out or they get their shit together.
Still prefer the Xbox ecosystem but they need to regain my trust before I start adding any paid games to my digital library again.

It really depends in what way. It is not like my Xbox Series S will go anywhere 🤷‍♂️ I will just play on Steam Deck maybe? No interest in buying PS as its ecosystem is not attractive for me at all.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Doesn't affect me at all. I primarily play on PC, so I've been enjoying Xbox titles there for a long while now.

Metnut

Nice to see some of these games come to PS5, but if they had stuff I really wanted I would’ve had an XBox already. Not really a big deal to me.

Definitely no need for me to think about getting a PC or XBox anytime soon. I can play everything I want on PS5 or Switch(2).

Last edited:

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
I will likely stop buying third party games on Xbox. If they move a first party Game Pass solution to PlayStation, I'll likely play there and purchase third party titles in the ecosystem going forward. We'll see what kind of moves Sony makes, though. I think we're going to see a massive industry shakeup with this.

cireza

It will only affect me if I lose an alternative to Sony in terms of hardware. I am never going to give Sony any money again for several reasons which I won't elaborate here, and I am not going to play on PC either again for many reasons.

I want a box that runs the same games as current Xbox and that also offers physical games. If MS going third party means this changes or disappear, then it will affect me. I will probably say fuck it and only play on Nintendo consoles then. I am already spending more time on retro consoles than modern consoles anyway. And as I get older, I have to say that power consumption of my consoles has become more important to me and I don't want to fuck up the planet too much. At least, I want to keep under control what happens in my house. But I am a crazy guy that still holds on to his CRT and has it maintained to avoid throwing stuff, so you get the idea :)

And I also like the idea of big changes happening to the videogame landscape. This can lead to all sorts of interesting opportunities for other companies.

But any of this needs official communication anyway. Everybody is projecting like crazy while all of it is purely based on rumors. Obviously things are happening, but what is the extent ? Still has to be seen.

Last edited:

Krieger

I predict the value of Xbox consoles going down the drain, because nobody wants one when every Microsoft game comes to Playstation. When that happens, I'll buy a Series X when it reaches <200€ and use it as a 4k blu-ray player.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I predict the value of Xbox consoles going down the drain, because nobody wants one when every Microsoft game comes to Playstation. When that happens, I'll buy a Series X when it reaches <200€ and use it as a 4k blu-ray player.
Mine will be a BC player. That way I can still play my OG Xbox and Xbox 360 games.

Robb

Gold Member
Mainly seems like a positive to me. It saves me money by not having to purchase MS hardware.

One less box by the TV as well. If the Ps5 is anything to go by I’m going to be needing that extra space in the future.

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

It will depends on how much money I'll lose when I sell the Xbox series X halo edition I have that is sealed.

If I lose 200$ value.. then this is how much it affected me.

I don't own a single Xbox game outside of a Tekken tag 2 copy of the Xbox 360 that I bought for 5$

My PC will be fine playing their games. But I don't want anything outside of gears, cod, halo, Forza horizon 6 ( Jesus they own lots of games. What a fucking turd of a company to go third party after they finally got this much power to turn things upside down. Stupid people at the head office that's for fucking sure )

Last edited:

Killer8

Being realistic, it doesn't affect me a whole lot. If Microsoft's games end up just releasing on PC, PS5 and Switch 2, like any other third party company, then i'll still have access to whatever they put out. I'll always be hanging onto my Series X as a backwards compatible machine.

There is a great sadness in how the brand has been mishandled though. I've been with Xbox since the beginning, having fond memories of playing system link Halo matches at my after school club. Xbox 360 was an amazing console and seemingly did the impossible standing up against PS3.

Their big disaster was the Xbox One launch, which I think really lay the foundations for every problem they have today. I honestly think Phil had a clue for a good few years and helped somewhat right the ship with things like the One X, Game Pass and the backwards compatibility push. But it's become so obvious in the last couple of years that he and the rest of the Xbox management really have no idea what they are doing.

The most egregious sin is how they basically just gave up trying to organically improve the platform, buying up developer after developer and hoping the games problem would just fix itself. Aside from the Xbox One flop, purchasing Activision for $67 billion was maybe the single worst thing they did for the brand. I mean they weren't even going to put COD on Game Pass and the competition still gets the game? It will probably pay off in 10-15 years time, and I suppose that's a positive sign that MS will remain in gaming for the foreseeable - rising from the ashes as a mega publisher, like Sega on steroids. But just in terms of what it did for the Xbox brand, it was the most expensive wet fart in gaming history.

I presume the bean counters have assured MS it will all make financial sense eventually, but I still think of all of the studios and incredible games that could've been created with that money. To put in perspective, God of War Ragnarok and Horizon had a budget of $200 million each. As a gamer I almost would've preferred if they tried to go out in a blaze of glory with a phenomenal lineup next-gen, and then just exited the gaming business if it didn't pay off. The plan now seems to be them acting as a third party Activision stand-in...

Last edited:

kiphalfton

The better question, is how many combinations of this same question are people going to feel the need to create a new thread about?

Bridges

90% of my library is digital on Xbox so the idea of those not carrying forward to a new wave of hardware legitimately scares me. I have no qualms against buying a PlayStation or primarily using a PC or whatever, but if my Xbox Live (I guess Xbox Network now?) account is stuck on the Series X this is going to seriously suck for me

lefty1117

Gold Member
I bought an xbox to be able to play stuff in the living room sometimes. If they do away with hardware, then they should double down on xbox platform as a service and get it on as many devices as possible ... even license it to others like samsung or something. Also just blatantly copy steam and replace the xbox pc app with that

Last edited:

K' Dash

People are going to have a rough awakening when Sony start charging whatever the fuck they want for hardware and software and services. No competition is never good for consumers.

Funny thing is seeing people foaming at their mouths celebrating, when this is bad news for everyone.

If I was a person who could only purchase one console and I picked Xbox because of their exclusives then I would be a bit annoyed. I could have picked PS5 and got all the Xbox games. Plays PS5 exclusives and even some third party games that are exclusive for no reason other than they just feel Xbox is a waste of time.

There was a time when this was the position I was in and I had to sell my PS3 cause Xbox had the games I wanted.

Mexen

It’s 202X, you boot up a game on your Switch X via voice activation. The screen is black. And then…

Developed by Bethes-Kojima Productions

In Association with Apple

From Xbox Publishing House

Sony Presents…

Halo Kart: Platforming Tactical Action Real Simulator

Top Bottom