• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If Xbox goes third party, how this is affecting you?

Del_X

Zero impact since I play on PC. Guess I'll still get a PS5 pro for GTA VI before selling that when it hits PC.

RGB'D

Ps6 will be an incremental upgrade over the Ps5. What's the point of releasing a powerful console when Sony is competing with itself? It's not good for us consumers having Sony have the home console market to themselves. Someone else needs to enter the market.
Who? Google failed. If MS leaves they failed. Anybody want a 5k console from apple? Hopefully the PC resurgence continues because console space goes to shit if Xbox leaves.

Pelao

As an Xbox user, it doesn't affect me at all.
As a PSVR2 user, it gives me hope for possibly seeing updates of PSVR1 Bethesda games for PSVR2, such as Doom and Skyrim.

IDappa

Depends on the next Xbox hardware announcement, if it’s a Xbox/pc hybrid which boots into a Xbox os with Xbox store but also lets you run windows to access steam and other programs, definitely will buy that for the living room and move my desktop. Will still buy a ps6 and switch 2 also.

If not the above probably play my Xbox games on the pc while still owning a ps6 and switch 2.

Radical_3d

Series X is my 4K physical disc Halo player and that’s not going to change. It has amazing backwards compatibility for the PS360 era games and it’s the best way to play Black. So nothing changes, I’m still buying the majority of my games on my PS5.

solidus12

I doesn’t affect me. I don’t give a shit about Xbox games. I am enjoying the meltdowns though:

e1vmGZz.jpg

Last edited:
It doesn't, I really don't care. I honestly believe my Series X is going to be my last console anyway, PC is just making too much sense.

It doesn't since I play on PC. It shouldn't have a major impact on Xbox players either, since they're going to get the same games that they would have if Xbox doesn't go third party.

If you're pissed off because Playstation might get Xbox games going forward then that's just weird. If anything it means you'll have more people to play with in multiplayer titles.

Being pissed off because Sony basically have no competition is valid to me because they'll nickel and dime the fuck out of their players. They already charge a fortune for a subscription to Plus and more will come I'm sure.

Ar¢tos

Who? Google failed. If MS leaves they failed. Anybody want a 5k console from apple? Hopefully the PC resurgence continues because console space goes to shit if Xbox leaves.
So much drama!
Xbox has been barely present this gen and nothing went to shit.

Ozzie666

Thanks for asking OP. I got a great trade in value before this news dropped and made out like a bandit on my series X.

Indiana Jones was the title I was looking forward to, now possibly on PS5.

I think Activision games will stay 3rd party maybe with some sort of incentive to play on the xbox version. Bethesda games will go to PS and Nintendo after some sort of exclusive period of time on Xbox and Xbox Studio games will stay exclusive.

Zuzu

For me my biggest concern is my digital library on my Xbox if they slowly leave the hardware market (which will likely take the Xbox store with it). What will happen to my games? Will I be able to access them in 15 years time? 20 years time? Losing all those would be a significant loss.

A second, smaller concern is what will happen to their controller division? I love the ergonomics of the Xbox controller so much that if a game is on PS5 & Xbox I will almost always play the game on Xbox due to the controller. I really don't want to lose this controller because I think it's basically perfect for me from an ergonomic point of view. And, additionally, though the quality control of the Elite series is terrible, I think it's the best Pro controller ever and I really don't want to lose that controller either. Hopefully they'll keep making the controllers for PC players to use. All the other accessories that Xbox makes are easily replaceable by other products for me but not the controllers.

I'll also be sad to not have a future console with Quick Resume, the best VRR and freesync implementation and good backwards compatibility. But the last two can mostly be achieved on PC which is good.

Last edited:

Havoc2049

As a XB Series X, PC and Game Pass Ultimate gamer, it doesn't affect me at all. I actually hope it brings fresh meat to the Halo and SoT grinder. 🤣 The first couple of months that SoT and Halo Mcc was on Steam was good for some easy kills and laughs.

Aion002

Zero. I own an Xbox because of gamepass... Also, it would be good for me, because I have friends on Playstation that wants to play Age of Empires 4 and the more the merrier.

Last edited:

Axass

September 24th 2002, the day Rareware was acquired by Microsoft, I've been waiting ever since then. It's been a long 21+ years, but all things come to those who wait.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Nothing at all unless they pull a Sony and stop doing day 1 on Gamepass while still charging a similar rate.

NahaNago

I'd play halo, gears , and , forza on the Playstation, probably, maybe. It mostly doesn't. I had bought an xbox one s for sunset overdrive and halo collection and never actually played the games.

winjer

Gold Member
I play mostly on the PC, so it won't affect me at all.
Also, I haven't had an Xbox console since the 360.

Fredrik

3rd party doesn’t affect me per say, but the consequence of the platform dying certainly affects me since I’ll have 20 years of game purchases/saves/Gamerscore/Achievements locked to a plastic box in the attic. It’ll be like WiiU. Can’t play the physical games on the next console (PS), can’t transfer over licenses for digital games, no save transfer, I will have to rebuy lots of games and start over. Not something I do with a happy face.

MonkD

3rd party doesn’t affect me per say, but the consequence of the platform dying certainly affects me since I’ll have 20 years of game purchases/saves/Gamerscore/Achievements locked to a plastic box in the attic. It’ll be like WiiU. Can’t play the physical games on the next console (PS), can’t transfer over licenses for digital games, no save transfer, I will have to rebuy lots of games and start over. Not something I do with a happy face.
How does Gamepass play into all of that?

Do achievements transfer or are they Xbox/PC specific?

if it’s a Xbox/pc hybrid which boots into a Xbox os with Xbox store but also lets you run windows to access steam and other programs, definitely will buy that for the living room and move my desktop
This would be a winning strategy and you ease tons of people into the a console-like Windows environment. It’s too good for MS to try though. They still haven’t worked hard enough on their portable interface for Windows 11.

FingerBang

I have a Series X which I barely use because I have GPU and a beast of a PC, but still use when the game runs well enough.

I will probably not buy their next console either way, so I guess it doesn't affect me

Fredrik

How does Gamepass play into all of that?

Do achievements transfer or are they Xbox/PC specific?
Sony won’t allow Gamepass so that service will crumble soon when Xbox gamers aren’t inflating the numbers for signing up at first just to play online.

Achievements will stay on your Xbox account, you can log in online to look at them like with Ubi Connect. Pointless. No transfer from Achievements to Trophies will happen guaranteed.

20 years of gaming investment in time and money will literally be locked to a website account you won’t bother looking at and a plastic box you likely won’t have plugged in 2 years from now.

I’ll miss the daft numbering:

Xbox
Xbox 360
Xbox One
Xbox One X
Xbox Series X

I guess we will miss out on Xbox Max X next.

Last edited:

tommib

This won't be as impactful as people think, that's my guess. They'll port some games after a year. Case by case basis. Xbox consoles won't disappear. They're testing the waters with As Dusk Falls and potentially Hi-Fi Rush. Everything else will be considered carefully.

MonkD

Sony won’t allow Gamepass so that service will crumble soon when Xbox gamers aren’t inflating the numbers for signing up at first just to play online.

Achievements will stay on your Xbox account, you can log in online to look at them like with Ubi Connect. Pointless. No transfer from Achievements to Trophies will happen guaranteed.

20 years of gaming investment in time and money will literally be locked to a website account you won’t bother looking at and a plastic box you likely won’t have plugged in 2 years from now.
But would your Xbox achievements carry over to PC if you're playing through Gamepass?

Either way, you probably shouldn't look at Achievements or Trophies as an investment of any kind. You're never going to get anything back for it. But sucks if you lose your library, but I'm hoping it will carry over to other devices in some capacity.

Pedro Motta

I own all the consoles, so for me the only change would be the money I lost on the Series X, what a fucking paper weight.

chilichote

As someone who mainly plays on the Playstation and bought Xbox hardware just for the exclusive titles, I can only welcome this. This way I save money on a console that sits almost unused and can still play the Xbox games that I want to play. Sure, I could do that on the PC, but I hardly ever upgrade mine and I like console gaming^^

Fredrik

But would your Xbox achievements carry over to PC if you're playing through Gamepass?

Either way, you probably shouldn't look at Achievements or Trophies as an investment of any kind. You're never going to get anything back for it. But sucks if you lose your library, but I'm hoping it will carry over to other devices in some capacity.
Saves and Achievements are there if it’s a play anywhere title, but that’s rare, and on PC I use Steam so I have no investment on Windows Store to fall back on unless it’s on Gamepass but I assume Gamepass will go poof soon.

GymWolf

I could not give less fucks about, sony and N already act like they have no adversaries so i doubt something is gonna change.

And maybe just developing games without having to care about the whole console money hole is gonna make their games better.

DonJimbo

I hope after M$ quitting the Hardware Business my Games still work
Thanks Dumbo Mattrick for the online mandatory Bullshit

Last edited:

Fatmanp

The two main issues are if they stop selling a box what happens to my digital library. The larger issue is giving Sony complete dominance over the market with zero competition in any area. You don’t get crossplay, psn, psn plus etc without a trailing competency trying new things.

CashPrizes

Doesn't effect me in the slightest, except that my usual advice to people to always buy a PC over an Xbox can now be adjusted slightly. If they are broke and can't afford a PC, a Playstation just got much more viable.

Elios83

Really little impact since honestly I've never been attracted by their software output and products.
But if Bethesda's games will be back on Playstation it's a positive thing that will avoid me playing a few of them on PC.
Zero interest in the Activision output.

Last edited:
Top Bottom