• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If you're playing a new game that you enjoy but then another one comes out that you looked forward to - will you drop your current playthrough?

Drizzlehell

Banned
Let's say that you started playing a game that came out about a month ago and it was just something that you picked up on a whim because you heard good things about it, even though you weren't particularly hyped for it. And then you got into it and you like it so much that you want to see it through to the end, but then it's also really long or you just don't have that much time to finish it before the next game comes along. However, that next game is actually something that you were really looking forward to for a while now and can't wait to finally sink your teeth into it.

Are you just gonna go "screw it" and drop that first game in order to play the one that you were hyped for, or are you gonna be patient enough to finish the first game before grabbing the next one?

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
That title though

Card Games Fun GIF by AsmodeeGames

-
I very rarely buy new games that close together, with the most recent being some PSVR2 games. And no, I don't completely drop playing one game for another if I'm enjoying it.

killatopak

I didn’t. This happened during the time I was playing Elden Ring and RE4 Remake got released.

I try to play a game to completion before moving on. Makes it easier for my muscle memory.

The other day, my sister played Elden Ring and she was asking me how to sprint and I mistakenly said the run button for RE4 configuration. I’ve been playing RE4 a lot so it definitely messed up my memory for Elden Ring.

cormack12

Gold Member
That title though

Card Games Fun GIF by AsmodeeGames

-
I very rarely buy new games that close together, with the most recent being some PSVR2 games. And no, I don't completely drop playing one game for another if I'm enjoying it.

I had to rotate my ipad to landscape to read it.

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
I buy games when I have time to play them. I want to play Burning Shores, but between Everspace 2(barely have time for that) and all the other things I have to do in life, I wouldn’t have time for it now.

There are games that I will drop things for, but those are rare.

I don’t have a burning need to be part of the conversation at the time of release, so I’m not bothered with waiting.

KillaJamm

God I have like 10 different games on the go all the time these days, unless you get a release like RE4R where I just blitzed it in a couple days, short attention span I guess. Pretty much jumping between things I've picked up in sales, waiting for that next big release.

DanEON

I used to do that, but then I had too much unfinished games that I would never go back.
Now I only start a new game once I finish the one I am playing. This way, I finish every game I start, basically.

L*][*N*K

Banned
I used to do that, but now days if there is a game on the horizon that I really want (Zelda for example) I don’t start another long game before it, which is why I am putting Redfall in the backlog until I am very much done with Zelda and hopefully by then we get some news on the 60fps, which also gives me time to deal with Jedi Survivor and Diablo 4

Quezacolt

Started the Burning Shores expansion yesterday, but i'll drop that for now to play the xenoblade 3 expansion instead, since that franchise means a lot more to me than Horizon ever will, even tho i enjoy the Horizon games.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
Elden ring was so big that I was still playing it when GOW ragnarok came. I had no choice. GOW ragnarok is my first platinum. Elden ring my first souls game that I abandoned...

This will happen in june. I'm really looking forward to diablo 4 and will try to play it as much as possible but once FFXVI drops I'm throwing myself at it until I finish the game

Drizzlehell

Banned
Maybe because I'm getting older but Ive had to start over games because if I try to get back into them, I'm freaking lost
That's honestly my main concern whenever I drop a game to play something else. I usually won't come back to finish it for months and then I have no idea what the hell was going on.

I will also be pissed at myself if it turns out that I wasn't even that far from finishing that previous game, and coming back to it for just a couple of hours only to see the credits feels really unfulfilling, lol.

Last edited:
That's honestly my main concern whenever I drop a game to play something else. I usually won't come back to finish it for months and then I have no idea what the hell was going on.

I will also be pissed at myself if it turns out that I wasn't even that far from finishing that previous game, and coming back to it for just a couple of hours only to see the credits feels really unfulfilling, lol.
At least I'm not the only one, I dont know how many times i've restarted some games just to find out I was a few hours from the credits. If I dont though, I'm lost and I cant just get back into the combat system/story

Bartski

Gold Member
yeah this idea of re-onboarding, games are usually horrible at doesn't get enough attention. One of the reasons I really try sticking to one title especially if it's relatively difficult and complicated.
Very few examples have built-in systems to re-tutorialize the player on the very basics while you're deep into the campaign. I can name games I couldn't continue after a long break.

Last edited:
Yep, unless a game really hooks me I just don’t have the attention span to play 15 hour + games with the limited time I have. It’s one of the reasons I’ve gravitated to rogue likes over the years. Lesser need to remember story points that I forget after a long layoff. I used to seek out story heavy long games but now <10 is my sweet spot.

Yep, unless a game really hooks me I just don’t have the attention span to play 15 hour + games with the limited time I have. It’s one of the reasons I’ve gravitated to rogue likes over the years. Lesser need to remember story points that I forget after a long layoff. I used to seek out story heavy long games but now <10 is my sweet spot.
It's so hard for me to play a game more than 25 or so hours. With kids, work and all the rest, it's hard to find some time to play

Fbh

Depends on how much I'm liking the game I'm playing.
For example right now I'm playing Ghostwire and Chained Echoes, both games I picked up on a whim after hearing good things about them.

Ghostwire I'd probably put on hold until I finish the game I was looking forward to.
But Chained Echoes is good enough that I wouldn't drop it or put it on hold

I'm terrible about this. I always juggle multiple games anyways, and if something shiny and new comes out my 2 second attention span is instantly snapped.

Case in point this Friday. I've been enjoying Dead Island 2, but it will inevitably be shelved for Star Wars.

I'll get back to it eventually.......like all the others.

Robb

Gold Member
I’d just play both but skew more time towards the new game. I usually have 2-4 games going at a time anyway.

Well find out between if I can finish zelda in time for ff16, they are a month apart and my time is limited. Other than that generally no, I time my releases and hove enough space between releases for my time allowance

MikeM

New games are so broken these days that its would be laughable to leave an experience I am enjoying for a broken mess.

I finish my games, then move to the next in the backlog.

Neolombax

I would just play whatever I feel like playing. I try not to force myself to finish games, in my experience it makes the game feel worse than it is. Worst case, if the new game just completely tales over the game before it, I'll just replay.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Yeah, I tend to go hard on a game but fall off if I go back to old reliable. Hogwarts was the last one, god of war 2 before that. Prob gonna happen with Star wars too.

therealmoonface

Neo Member
I’m enjoying Ghostwire Tokyo right now but it’s gonna be dropped as soon as Redfall comes out. I might go back, I might not. I’ve come to value my time more now and don’t feel obligated to finish every damn game I start. But going back is a real bitch, I still haven’t finished Witcher 3 or RDR2 because of this.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I enjoy finishing the games, so if I’m really looking forward to it. Everything sits. It’s been like that for ages though. Typically I didn’t start anything new if a new big release was coming out. I’d play a classic game or something that I never got around to playing, finish that, and wait for the next big release.

After finishing RE4R I went to play Advance Wars, felt like taking a break so I booted up Dark Souls Remastered and played through the DLC. After I did that I played a handful of things on my Deck, went back to Advance Wars. I purchased FFV on Switch. I’ve been playing that. I’ll drop everything for Jedi Survivor. Thinking I’ll go back to FFV after that or finish Advance Wars.

DelireMan7

I usually pay attention to games that I really want to play and their release date. And plan accordingly the games I pick to be able to finish them before the release.

For example, with FFXVI coming in June, if I start a new game end of May, I'll choose a short game to be sure I am done by the release of FFXVI.

In case of a surprise release (Silksong?)well... depends on my current game and my mood. I usually hate to drop game but if the new one is one I am really hyped for I can drop it.

Neilg

These days I never drop a game I'm enjoying - the new one can wait. I've learned through experience that dropping something I'm in the middle of for a months means my overall enjoyment of it when I do go back to it will be much less.

Fredrik

I try not to but I instantly dropped Horizon Forbidden West to play Elden Ring, and I’m still not over Elden Ring so I still haven’t returned to HFW, feels bad because it’s now up on PS+ so buying it was dumb.

lachesis

Only play one game at a time - so it will be the TOTK for quite some time. I've been kinda postponing playing any other games, including RE4 Remake... that I haven't even bought it yet - that I will buy it when the price goes down, or they release the gold edition like I did with RE8... (Still to play that one too.)

Paltheos

A few people have said this already but I do it too - For big, day 1 releases, I make sure my schedule's clear. I don't start any long games shortly before highlight releases because I prefer playing games one-at-a-time to completion.

MaestroMike

Gold Member
I hate stopping a game I'm still playing and haven't completed to start another one, but then again, TotK is coming out soon and I have no other choice. mainline series zelda/mario games get preference over anything else and must be completed immediately as soon as they're released unfortunately my hands are tied

Robbinhood

Banned
I will prioritize certain big games if I so happen to be playing another game during its release. But tbh its rare for two big games to come out so close to each other.

It happened of course with Horizon both times. I was loving Zero Dawn but the Zelda hype got me, so I made the switch. After 15 hours I got bored and went back to Horizon and ultimately kept jumping between them til they were both done, that was not ideal.

Then HFW came out, I tried to play as much as possible before ER, but succumbed to ER hype. Outside of some occasional jumping around between them, I settled on ER, beat it and then went back to HFW. It was actually a nice change of pace after that brutal game.

So ya generally you won't get that kind of schedule in big games, I know for sure when Spiderman 2 releases I'll drop whatever I'm playing for that.

Top Bottom