• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If you're playing a new game that you enjoy but then another one comes out that you looked forward to - will you drop your current playthrough?

Barrico82

Banned
I play one game at a time .. in the case mentioned i will fully finish the game i am playing then move on to the next one

Since i play single player games .. with this approach i may get a better deals for the games i intend to play

stickkidsam

I am only just now playing through Breath of the Wild. I originally started it on launch day.

So yeah I’ll fuck around.

Chastten

Banned
I did that a lot around 20 years ago, as I got older and started working and had too much money. Not just with games. Also anime, tv-shows, etc. Start something, get distracted by the shiny new thing, and never finish it. Ended up with literally 100's of unfinished games/DVD's/etc.

Nowadays, not anymore. I only play a single game and watch a single tv-show/anime at a time. Only start a new one once I finish the previous one or I get so bored and have no intention of continuing it.

This doesn't take into account a few multiplayer/gaas stuff like Mario Kart, Mario Party, Genshin, and since yesterday, Honkai Star Rail. I just play those whenever I have some offtime, or when with friends, whatever.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
It depends if I enjoy plating the game more than I anticipate the newer one.If I anticipate the newer one more, I'll play it, keep my mind busy, try to avoid the suicidal thoughts, then once done come back to the previous game.

GymWolf

Maybe i give a couple of hours try just to se what's up and then return to the unfinished game.

Luckily(?) it doesn't happen that often.

Adeptus

If I enjoy first game? Than rather no. Except if the first game is very long (like e.g. some CRPGs) or if it is game that You are playing infinitely (like Crusader Kings).

WX3

Thought this was about to occur with Dead Island 2 and Jedi Survivor however DI2 didn't take as long to nearly 100% as I figured so I think I have avoided this terrible practice!

NahaNago

I'm the type to jump onto the game I was looking forward to. Then again these days I'm trying to not buy games as much since I'm not really playing the games I buy. I think I've bought like a dozen games this year, even downloaded quite a few of them but I've only started like 2 of them. So I would like to finish a game and then buy.

Yes, and unfortunately I have a very hard time coming back to the previous game. That's why I never actually finished Xenoblade, Wolfenstein, or Sakuna, and I really need to finish Kakarot before TotK gets released...

KungFucius

King Snowflake
This is basically, Can I finish _______ before Zelda right now. If I drop a game, I probably won't come back so I am hesitant to start anything that isn't short. So in cases like this, I tend not to play anything that will take time.

kicker

Banned
I think realistically if one is excited for a new game, they're already tracking when it releases and will schedule playing other games accordingly.
And most people don't finish games so they would have no issue dropping one for another.

Myself though? Once I'm not enjoying my time at all, then yeah, I'll switch over to something else, new or otherwise. I try to stick with games till the end but several modern games are just bloated in length and content, and I sometimes find myself playing just to get through a certain annoying section instead of playing through because I'm enjoying it.
I'm usually cycling between 2 to 4 specific games because of this.

Top Bottom