• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN afraid of reviewing Hogwarts Legacy

Hohenheim

If IGN is finding it "difficult" to review one of the biggest blockbusters in 2023 based on.. well, I don't even know what to call that bullshit surrounding this game..

Even if they review it (if they don't, I will lose all respect for that site), just the fact that is's problematic or "difficult" speaks volumes about how batshit crazy this industry is becoming.

Man, i'm so glad I don't have twitter.
Would probably make me depressed beyond words.

Lasha

This is just one of many things that show how much of a joke profession gaming "journalism" is; a real journalist wouldn't give a single fuck and just do their job.
Actual journalists report stand off against governments with the resources to ruin their lives. Games journalists are afraid to review a children's video game. Game journalists should drop the pretense of journalism altogether.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Battaglia and DF are spineless cunts as well. And anyone else who is scared to review this game OR review it with the proviso they mention the controversy are spineless counts as well. Just review the fucking game fairly and be done with it. Stop letting the vocal minority control our fucking gaming space!
Wait are DF not going to do a tech analysis of the game?
Surely they will have to....its probably the biggest February release both from a graphical perspective and from just being a huge game in general.
Atomic Heart probably gonna get a bunch more coverage now if DF wont be doing a bunch of Hogwarts videos.

P.S
IGN have the first contract, they absolutely will be reviewing the game, whether they review it fairly is another thing all together.
But im pretty confident the game is a good game, and even if the reviewer is "scared" of being attacked for liking the game.....fuck it, just review it, you are damned if you do, damned if you dont....atleast nut up and be like yo this is a good game in spite of the authors viewpoints.
As far as I know JK doesnt express those views in the game, so it should have no bearing on the quality or peoples opinions of the game.
And looking at how much work/effort/passion the devs put into this game, it would be a hell of slap in their face for reviewers to simply ignore the game.

P.P.S
I get why reviewers are scared to review the game, IGN as a corporation wont feel any pain from the backlash that is sure to erupt on twitter/era.
But the reviewer themselves is likely going to be named with a direct link to their twitter handle attached to the review.....if given the choice Id review the game under the IGN editors' tag if you are gonna force me to review the game, then you take the brunt of the hate that it will surely garner.

P.P.P.S
Isnt it ironic that people want to hate the game because JK uses her free speech for some "hateful shit", but reviewers are scared of those same virtue signalers coming after them? If you are on your high horse talking about how every deserves respect yada yada...logically that should also be afforded to people who might actually like the game and are simply reviewing it.
Resetera doesnt even allow mention of the game....at all.
Thats some police state shit right there.
90% of ERA is going to buy the game anyway.

I love how people have convinced themselves that this is the Arkham Asylum of Harry Potter games...

People all around this game are taking some pretty moronic takes.

It could be really good, it could also be licensed trash. Maybe we let the game speak for itself...

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Don’t be afraid of the idiots that want to cancel everything they don’t like.

People giving in out of fear is the only thing they have going for them. If outlets tell them to fuck off they’ll find themselves powerless.

tommolb

This thread reminded me I needed to pre-order this game. :)

I don't know why they don't just review the gameplay, graphics etc and score it objectively, then have an opinion piece alongside the game review talking about the politics around it. All they need to do is state they are a game review site and they'd be doing their audience a disservice by pretending the game doesn't exist, while acknowledging that certain folks have strong views about JK, on whose work this game is based.

I never got the JK hate TBH.

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

Their true nature:

"IGN: In regards to diversity in the game, can we expect to see Black characters in Final Fantasy XVI, or people of color (non-white characters) in general? To clarify a bit more, there’s been discussion around the trailers to date featuring mostly white characters, and I wanted to get clarity on whether we can expect the final game to be more diverse."

Would be surprised if the outlet isn't captured by this sort of mentality. Any reviewer their who doesn't abide by the programme will be replaced by someone who does, just as we see across many organisations.

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
7a4df9.jpg

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
How about my actual argument? You are too afraid then put a warning and review the game professionally. Boycotting the game or putting your your negative view into the review means you’ll have to do it for every game as it will be offensive to a certain group or you are a hypocrite.

I don't think that solves it, tbh.

If you want to review something that some people find very distasteful because of the creator of / beneficiaries of the income from the work (in this instance, I don't know how involved JKR is) then I don't think you can just say "we are reviewing the work, not the artist" (or similar) and automatically expect those things to go away.

Some will think you shouldn't have anything to do with the work at all, disclaimer or not, while others can isolate the work from everything else, while a third group want to cheer the work on for political reasons. In at least two of those instances, you risk a reaction from either side of the argument for choosing to review or not review the product, let alone the elements you choose to highlight in the review, or the score you give it.

So, yeah, I don't think it's not difficult. It's certainly more difficult than other reviews.

I'm loving this controversy because it tells everyone that video game reviews sites like IGN are driven by propaganda instead of objective review. A great way to discredit their credibility as a "reliable" gaming site.
See?

The game could be a masterpiece, most outlets will give it a 6 or 7 of 10, for very obvious political reasons. If it's good of course. It will also be nice to see which outlets are fair impartial reviews
See?

Last edited:

StueyDuck

Funny... I mentioned this in another thread and some local nutjob came after me and talked about IGN were the greatest and were gonna give it fair and honest reviews hahaha...

Needless to say I blocked that person cause they seem to shit up all threads they enter here on neogaf.

Feels nice to be vindicated in what I said however.

IGN sucks

Last edited:

If you want to review something that some people find very distasteful because of the creator of / beneficiaries of the income from the work (in this instance, I don't know how involved JKR is) then I don't think you can just say "we are reviewing the work, not the artist" (or similar) and automatically expect those things to go away.

Some will think you shouldn't have anything to do with the work at all, disclaimer or not, while others can isolate the work from everything else, while a third group want to cheer the work on for political reasons. In two of instances, you risk a reaction from either side of the argument for choosing to review or not review the product, let alone the elements you choose to highlight in the review, or the score you give it.

So, yeah, I don't think it's not difficult. It's certainly more difficult than other reviews.

See?
You don’t risk anything because you can choose to make the reaction not matter.

SJRB

Gold Member
If you look at Reee threads they were really looking forward a few years ago. Look at their leaked footage thread or the announcement trailer and they were hyping it

99% still is hyped and a lot have bought the game but literally can't say that because they would get banned.

So you have a videogame discussion forum where talking about a videogame gets you booted from that community. Which is just wild.

[why you'd want to be a part of such a community is beyond me, by the way]

Last edited:

Basically - "I won't support anything Potter related unless Rowling leaves her own franchise and can't profit from it".

Also, devs not answering some questions (related to Rowling) and showing more support to LGBT community.

Loool.

Last edited:

krumble

Well the game unlocks in 26 minutes in New Zealand, I'm pretty sure the metacritic score from the gaming press and users is going to be a shit show and will bear little resemblance to reality, perhaps some of the reviews from news papers etc might be more neutral, but these days who really knows ..

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
You don’t risk anything because you can choose to make the reaction not matter.
I don't know if you're the head of media at a giant corporation or not, but from where I am that sounds like quite a poor media and PR strategy.

"Boycott all companies who pay to advertise with IGN! They don't care about trans people"

How does that play out? Hope it doesn't gather momentum? Hope that nobody you've ever employed has ever said something regrettable on social media?

Last edited:

Nemesisuuu

Basically - "I won't support anything Potter related unless Rowling leaves her own franchise and can't profit from it".

Also, devs not answering some questions (related to Rowling) and showing more support to LGBT community.

Loool.

I'll laugh my ass off when the game sells in like 20 million copies. #boycottsuccessful

But, at the same time - I don't really care when I think about it. lol

Ellery

Eventually curiosity will get the best of me and find out what JKR actually did to make grown adult men tremble in fear of reviewing a children's video game JKR wasn't even involved in.

Go_Ly_Dow

Eventually curiosity will get the best of me and find out what JKR actually did to make grown adult men tremble in fear of reviewing a children's video game JKR wasn't even involved in.
It's quite simple. She's a classical feminist and is very vocal about the trans community, men, invading womens spaces. Particularly as she lives in Scotland and the Government there is very woke. There was a very recent high profile case in Scotland of a man who raped several women, then transitioned whilst awaiting sentincing and after sentincing was placed in to a womans prison. 🤡

Last edited:

ZehDon

Loool.

My favourite part about this is the terrible JK Rowling photoshop into the promo-art for Hogwarts Legacy.

The fucking irony of having to manipulate the advertising imagery for the game to get JK Rowling in it so they can use it for their op-ed - an op-ed based on manufactured outrage about JK Rowling's involvement with a video game she's had nothing to do with - is dense enough that space-time has folded and I can finally escape this madness by quantum leaping into other timelines.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Despite what is happening, posting some Twitter randos and "look guys, this is what happening" is how propaganda spreads nowadays. So not a fan of that, could be true, could be not.

I don't know if you're the head of media at a giant corporation or not, but from where I am that sounds like quite a poor media and PR strategy.

"Boycott all companies who pay to advertise with IGN! They don't care about trans people"

How does that play out? Hope it doesn't gather momentum? Hope that nobody you've ever employed has ever said something regrettable on social media?

There are numerous examples of companies that have taken the risk and not had anything bad happen beyond a few negative headlines within half a news cycle.

Corporations are scared of these people because they allow them to have that power.

hemo memo

Gold Member

Some will think you shouldn't have anything to do with the work at all, disclaimer or not, while others can isolate the work from everything else, while a third group want to cheer the work on for political reasons. In at least two of those instances, you risk a reaction from either side of the argument for choosing to review or not review the product, let alone the elements you choose to highlight in the review, or the score you give it.

See?
Why this game only though? How about other games that offend different groups that don’t have as big of a voice? How about Genshin Impact and the Chinese government? How about games offensive to different religions or nationalities? You see how very ridiculous very fast this becomes?

supernova8

Banned
For anyone who genuinely understands the situation, why has this release become a line in the sand for so many?

JKR seems to have been anti trans forever, but is it actually just a few years and this is the first release from the Harry Potter universe since that came to light / became something she's famous for?

Or is there something else?
I don't think she's anti-trans, I thought she was just stating (the obvious fact) that biological women and trans women are not the same. Surely you can acknowledge the existence of trans women but also acknowledge that biological women are not the same. The most hardcore trans activists are trying to make it so that we all have to pretend that there's zero difference between the two, and it doesn't work because no amount of intimidation will make the majority of people suspend disbelief.

Trans activists are only annoyed because JKR is already too rich and financially protected to be affected by their cancel culture and other related fuckery. They've been trying to cancel her for years and it hasn't worked. She's already made her millions, they can't take that away from her and that's why they're so furious.

Honestly it's funny.

Last edited:

Superbean

Neo Member
The game could be a masterpiece, most outlets will give it a 6 or 7 of 10, for very obvious political reasons. If it's good of course. It will also be nice to see which outlets are fair impartial reviews.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
There are numerous examples of companies that have taken the risk and not had anything bad happen beyond a few negative headlines within half a news cycle.

Corporations are scared of these people because they allow them to have that power.

It's difficult to find like for like examples but I can't remember anything like this before?

I did just Google "brands that have been cancelled" and found a few big companies that lost business after offending some of their customers.

It's difficult to compare like for like, as I said, and I'm not saying anything will happen, but I don't agree that you can just hand wave these things away.

It's difficult to find like for like examples but I can't remember anything like this before?

I did just Google "brands that have been cancelled" and found a few big companies that lost business after offending some of their customers.

It's difficult to compare like for like, as I said, and I'm not saying anything will happen, but I don't agree that you can just hand wave these things away.
I’m not saying you can just handwave it away, but a big gaming site could stick up for its principle function - to review games. And of course stick up for its writers when the inevitable hoards descend.

Just review the game for fuck sake and tell those cunts to get fucked. I’m so fucking tired of watching popular outlets pander to these moronic sacks of useless shit.

To be clear, I’ve got no issue with trans people. I do have an issue with anyone (regardless of what gender they are or claim to be) telling me how I should spend my money and telling me my political stance due to my purchasing decisions.

thief183

They really are trying really hard to make me buy the game... I wasn't interested but at this point I'll buy just to support the devs.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Why this game only though? How about other games that offend different groups that don’t have as big of a voice? How about Genshin Impact and the Chinese government? How about games offensive to different religions or nationalities? You see how very ridiculous very fast this becomes?
No idea, I asked early on in the thread why this game was getting such a big reaction.

Not sure anyone has listened to the actual Podcast but I couldn't find a mention of IGN being scared to review it - Travis just said he can't discuss it (I assume because of embargo) - 13:05 and 1:57:22 of the cast. Did he say anything else?

Last edited:

hemo memo

Gold Member
Just like I’ve said. IGN put a mention regarding J.K. Rowling but went with Travis Northup very positive review who gave it a 9.

Bravo Travis.

Top Bottom