• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN Posts Up More Project Cafe Hardware Power Rumors

Kenka said:
11 days left, right ?

I am so unexcited. But I guess it makes the wait less painful. Let's see if we have reasons to rejoice soon. I don't expect to be blown but who knows, mabe the software/launch date/specs/price will all be satisfying.

I thought it was 12 days *checks calander* yeah it's 12 days

ReyVGM

God damn it. Stop saying how many days are left, it just makes the wait even longer.

*edit*

11 days and 19 hours left.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Bisnic said:
Maybe, but who will want to buy games such as Black Ops, Resident Evil 5 or MGS4 again, even with better texture or framerates? Worst is they're going to be sold for full price again.
RE4 wii, Pikmin: new controls, Metroid Prime Trilogy, etc.

Anth0ny

You guys are doing it wrong.

Konami's press conference is only 7 days away. That's technically the start of E3. Time will fly after that!

DragonKnight said:
With the new info from Andriasang concerning Sony's investment in the PS4 I definitely don't think that the 720/PS4 will be leagues ahead of the Cafe. I'm expecting moderation on both Microsoft and Sony's account.

Too bad i'm also expecting moderation from nintendo...
Link?

now with PS4 development *officially* underway (of course it was started before PS3 reached store shelves), Nintendo needs to make Cafe as powerful as affordably possible.

Meesh

blu said:
Everybody and their dog will port the shit out of their lineups to the Cafe, that much is clear.
Uh..what if 2k don't have dogs...what if they're more hamster people? And...more importantly, are those hamsters casual or enthusiast types? Hamsters in dogs clothing???? Also...no new info :( ???

swerve

herzogzwei1989 said:
now with PS4 development *officially* underway (of course it was started before PS3 reached store shelves), Nintendo needs to make Cafe as powerful as affordably possible.

Surely it makes no difference if PS4 is underway now or if it starts development in January next year. It's still obviously coming. No one outside SCE knows when. Basing Cafe decisions on theoretical rival scenarios would lead to poor decisions.

They need to do as they always do - make a system they can ride for 5-6 years. They then - *unlike* what they usually do - need to work on making it extremely developer friendly, so that people *want* to work on it.

BY2K

Membero Americo
herzogzwei1989 said:

What?

EDIT: Oh, saw the news. Nintendo better deliver hard.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Anth0ny said:
You guys are doing it wrong.

Konami's press conference is only 7 days away. That's technically the start of E3. Time will fly after that!

Exactly.

We can just watch Konami's on loop until E3.

BY2K said:
Dug a little bit when I got back to work. It appears that there are two pieces of news. Sony's R&D budget is up because of development of their next home console, and that they don't plan to sell their upcoming consoles at a loss like the PS3.

Sony's massive initial expenditures for the PlayStation 3 lead to years of losses. This is something that apparently won't be repeated for future platforms.

During an investors briefing today (via Nikkei), Chief Financial Officer Masaru Kato was asked if Sony expects its games division to continue to maintain its recent profitability. Different from the major losses of Sony Group as a whole, the company's games business turned profitable over the fiscal year.

Kato noted that the main factor in the losses for the past few years has been the big difference in sales price and cost for the PS3 system. Sony even spent billions to create its own semi conductor facilities.

This is something that won't happen in the future. The semiconductor business is changing, said Kato. "It is no longer thinkable to have a huge initial financial investment like that of the PS3."

Sony's Network Products & Services division, which overseas the PlayStation business, saw a 0.4% increase in sales to 1,579,300 million yen. Last year's operating loss of 833,000 million yen was turned into an operating profit of 356,000 million yen.

PS3 hardware cost reductions and increased software sales were major factors in the turnaround.

Sony shipped 14.3 million PS3 systems, 8 million PSP systems and 2.64 million PS2 systems over the year. Software shipments were 147,900,000 for PS3, 46,600,000 for PSP and 16,400,000 for PS2.

For the current year, Sony forecasts 15 million PS3 systems, 6 million PSP systems and 4 million PS2 systems.

You can take that as either:

1) They won't use a future console as an excuse to sink money into new businesses (like semiconductor production)
2) They don't plan to lose significant amounts of money on per unit hardware sales in future consoles.
3) They plan to make Apple/Nintendo style per unit profits on hardware sales in future consoles.

I think #1 fits the wording the best, but it may be that #2 meets their actual intention better. I think they already practice #3 in other sectors, but I don't know that would work for them in consoles so well.

BY2K

Membero Americo
At any rate, it won't come out before 2013 (probably the same case for Xbox 3). So it will be just like this gen, except this time it's Nintendo who's gonna release their console a year before the other 2.

Like I said, Nintendo better deliver HARD.

antonz

BY2K said:
At any rate, it won't come out before 2013 (probably the same case for Xbox 3). So it will be just like this gen, except this time it's Nintendo who's gonna release their console a year before the other 2.

If Nintendo sticks to their 4-5x plan they will do just fine.

Sony faces the biggest gamble. Rumblings out of Microsoft indicate that shareholders and corporate want to see profitability from the gate.

Does Sony try and one up everybody and be the odd one out or do they content themselves in a PS2/GC/Xbox level power fight. One upping doesnt get them anywhere as 3rd parties will develop around the 2 closer systems in this situation Cafe/Xbox3

Easy_D

never left the stone age
blu said:
Everybody and their dog will port the shit out of their lineups to the Cafe, that much is clear.
I'd be down with Mass EffeCafé: Calibrate the Perfect Dinner with Garrus!

J-Rock said:
If Nintendo is going to rip off anything from Microsoft it should be Xbox Live.
I agree completely. As long as they avoid adding a price to it(or the price is $20 or below).
ReyVGM said:
God damn it. Stop saying how many days are left, it just makes the wait even longer.

*edit*

11 days and 19 hours left.
Yeah, this is not helping at all. We've got no news and constant countdowns will be the norm. I'd rather post in other threads than deal with this type of torture.

:(
BY2K said:

Nintendo had better go about this with some decent power and online strategy. Anything less than 3X(I know it's an arbitrary number, but you guys get what I mean) the power of a PS3 or 360 is just a dumb move on their part if they plan on capturing the hearts and minds of third parties and the "hardcore" crowd.

TunaLover

I change my mind, I´m expecting a moderate E3, with lots of dissapoiments.
-No Xenoblade localization.
-No Last Story localization.
-No GCN BC.
-No Pikmin 3, just a short video.
-Wii games looks only a little bit on Café when displayed on big LCD screens.
-No major 3rd party presence on Café, just the retorical "the platform is great we´re look into".
-Two or three "harcore" ips from third/second parties.
-The big show will be for 3DS, ton stuff revealed.
-Café show will be moderate, with only 2 or 3 games showing how capable the machine is.
-Café is indeed barely powerful than PS360.
-SkyWard Sword will be the game of the show.

And that´s it

Easy_D

never left the stone age
TunaLover said:
-No GCN BC.
-No major 3rd party presence on Café, just the retorical "the platform is great we´re look into".
-Café show will be moderate, with only 2 or 3 games showing how capable the machine is.

And that´s it
Is being localized. Just import it from Europe, modding your Wii to play games from other regions is a piece of cake.

TunaLover

I barely have money to buy games in my own country -___-u

And yeah, I have HomeBrew Channel and stuff, but import is too expensive for me.

TunaLover said:
-No GCN BC.

And that´s it

Sounds about right.

Portugeezer

Gold Member
Easy_D said:
Is being localized. Just import it from Europe, modding your Wii to play games from other regions is a piece of cake.
It's being localised for Europe, then it will go to NA. This is a JRPG, they sell more in NA than EU.

Rich!

EuropeOG said:
It's being localised for Europe, then it will go to NA. This is a JRPG, they sell more in NA than EU.

Wouldn't be so sure about that. It's happened before.

Remember Terranigma on the SNES?

Terranigma, known as Tenchi Sōzō (天地創造?, officially translated The Creation of Heaven and Earth)[1] in Japan, is a 1995 action role-playing game for the Super Nintendo Entertainment System developed by Quintet. It was published by Enix in Japan before Nintendo localized the game and released an English version in Europe and Australia. The game was never officially released in North America. Terranigma tells the story of the Earth's resurrection by the hands of a boy named Ark, and its progress from the evolution of life to the present day.

Effect

TunaLover said:
-No GCN BC.

And that´s it
Sounds pretty reasonable. I've already accepted that Xenoblade and Last Story aren't coming over even if Europe gets Xenoblade.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
TunaLover said:
I barely have money to buy games in my own country -___-u

And yeah, I have HomeBrew Channel and stuff, but import is too expensive for me.
This is why you order from UK stores. Prices are comparable at launch, and drop like a stone in a few weeks.

As long it has HD on par with the 360 and a packed-in "standard" dual analogue controller, I'll personally be happy. If it has good online service and anything else, that's just icing on the cake. I think my expectations are where they need to be. Anything higher is a bit absurd.

You know, there is such a thing as drastically under hyping something.
I mean, it's all well and good to curb expectation within reason, but some times you guys just want to kill all pleasure you have in this world.

Woffls

AceBandage said:
I mean, it's all well and good to curb expectation within reason, but some times you guys just want to kill all pleasure you have in this world.
They don't want to believe :(

I'm still mega-hyped for E3 as usual, but I've become less excited in the last few weeks since the Café rumours died down. If I find myself too enthused then I'll watch the 08 conference again to realign my expectations.

Woffls said:

I'm still mega-hyped for E3 as usual, but I've become less excited in the last few weeks since the Café rumours died down. If I find myself too enthused then I'll watch the 08 conference again to realign my expectations.

Why would you do such a horrible thing?
Not even the most hardcore Nintendo fan can survive such devastation.

AceBandage said:
All I'm hoping for is that Nintendo won't go third party. That's my only hope coming into the show.

Anth0ny

AceBandage said:
Why would you do such a horrible thing?
Not even the most hardcore Nintendo fan can survive such devastation.

I have the E3 2004 Press Conference on DVD. Now that is something I can watch over and over =)

Never forget.
cammie.gif

BY2K said:
Nintendo CAN and WILL pull it off. They will beat their 2010 conference.

Care to wager something?

Edit: I take it you mean beat last year's conference in terms of shit people actually care about and not in suckage

Well, I'd rather be pleasantly surprised than woefully disappointed. That's all my views are. I expect the worst and hope for the best. I hope Nintendo goes all out and Iwata goes "WE NOW UNDERSTAND WE NEED A TRUE COMPETITOR TO THE XBOX 360", but there IS a good chance that won't happen. I hope they learned their lesson, but Nintendo is a DAMN stubborn company. They have been for decades now. Not to piss on anyones' parade, but they could potentially screw this up royally. I hope they DON'T, but they COULD.

Maybe I'm just a cynic after they went in a direction I, admittedly, selfishly didn't enjoy with the Wii, but... I'm not putting my head in the clouds just yet. We'll see in two weeks.

edit: That Cammie gif reminds me of once in '88 or so when my mom tried to play Duck Hunt and... tried shooting the kill counter duck icons instead of the actual ducks. Oh dear.

EricDiesel said:
Well, I'd rather be pleasantly surprised than woefully disappointed. That's all my views are. I expect the worst and hope for the best. I hope Nintendo goes all out and Iwata goes "WE NOW UNDERSTAND WE NEED A TRUE COMPETITOR TO THE XBOX 360", but there IS a good chance that won't happen. I hope they learned their lesson, but Nintendo is a DAMN stubborn company. They have been for decades now. Not to piss on anyones' parade, but they could potentially screw this up royally. I hope they DON'T, but they COULD.

Maybe I'm just a cynic after they went in a direction I, admittedly, selfishly didn't enjoy with the Wii, but... I'm not putting my head in the clouds just yet. We'll see in two weeks.

Nothing selfish about it. You don't like what you don't like

Woffls said:

This made me want to go back and watch some old Nintendo E3 conferences so I'm going from 05' to last year. I need somethingggg to pass the time. :(

Woffls said:

I don't know how you can complain about that conference as a hardcore gamer. I mean, you got Animal Crossing!

;)

DragonKnight said:
Nothing selfish about it. You don't like what you don't like
Yeah, that's fair. I just hate being the entitled gamer that expects everyone to bend to my whims. People like that annoy me. I really dislike motion controls, but some people still enjoy the shit out of them. And I'm cool with that. (I just kind of hope it's a dying fad, personally. :p But I'm fine with the market speaking for itself.)

DragonKnight said:
Care to wager something?

Edit: I take it you mean beat last year's conference in terms of shit people actually care about and not in suckage
I'm in.

Nintendo knows how to bring it. A new Nintendo plateform means that Nintendo "wins" E3. Happened with the Wii, happened with the 3DS ... gonna happen with the Wii2HD+CAFEY-Streamer.

So are we taking bets now?

EricDiesel said:
Yeah, that's fair. I just hate being the entitled gamer that expects everyone to bend to my whims. People like that annoy me. I really dislike motion controls, but some people still enjoy the shit out of them. And I'm cool with that. (I just kind of hope it's a dying fad, personally. :p But I'm fine with the market speaking for itself.)

at this point, calling it a fad still just reeks of bitterness :p

Nintendo's system needs to have a power level at least 1/2 way between that of the PS3 and PS4/720.

Anything less than that will disappoint the core audience and possibly make some games simply impossible to port.

BY2K

Membero Americo
DragonKnight said:
Care to wager something?

I'd like to meet any people who think Nintendo 2010's Conference was bad. If that's what you meant.

Let's speculate on the last "surprise feature" of the controller mentioned by 01.net.

I still hold that it will be a nice XL sized stylus that doubles as a pointer by having the sensor on the eraser end. Maybe 1 or two buttons and slides vertically into center of the tablet so as to retain pointer functionality while not in use.

Only way I can justify losing Wiimote form factor and using single instead of multi-touch.

watershed

Banned
Black-Wind said:
I'm in.

Nintendo knows how to bring it. A new Nintendo plateform means that Nintendo "wins" E3. Happened with the Wii, happened with the 3DS ... gonna happen with the Wii2HD+CAFEY-Streamer.

So are we taking bets now?
Isn't there gonna be some kind of official E3 predictions thread? I'll place my bets there if so.

Top Bottom