• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN Ranks 20 Best Anime Characters Of All Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holtz

The very presence of Ichigo on this list is a joke. He is barely a character, he is more like a paper cutout that keeps repeting "We have to rescue (current friend in danger)" and wins fights by pulling powers out of his ass. Kubo couldn't create a 3 dimensional character to save his life.

The fuck!? Where's Kusanagi from Blue Seed?!

pblues.jpg

Hero

Reiterating the fact that Goku is the Japanese equivalent of Superman. Hate on DBZ all you want, but he pretty much embodies most of all the ideal traits of a "hero."

vareon

I have no problem with a shitty list, but I browsed through 5 pages CTRL-Fing for Gintoki and found none.

Then I have a problem.

Aaron

No list can change the fact Ataru Moroboshi is the greatest anime character of all time. A hero and villain, skirt chaser and saint. A man full of contradictions, yet that's what made him seem much more than the one dimensional tripe that usually passes for anime characters.

Hell, he should be first place for his laugh alone.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
vareon said:
I have no problem with a shitty list, but I browsed through 5 pages CTRL-Fing for Gintoki and found none.

Then I have a problem.
Remember, even if we're part of the GINTAMA Defense Force, there is hardly anyone that knows who Sakata Gintoki is. At least he made it on Newtypes' list for October:

1. Kyon, Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
2. Lelouch Lamperouge, Code Geass
3. Ikari Shinji, Evangelion 2.0
4. Nagisa Kaworu, Evangelion 2.0
5. Kira Yamato, Gundam SEED
6. Gintoki Sakata, Gintama
7. Edward Elric, Full Metal Alchemist
8. Roy Mustang, Full Metal Alchemist
9. Tieria Erde, Gundam 00
10. Araragi Koyomi, Bakemonogatari

Skiptastic said:
:lol <3

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i love COWBOY BEBOP, but i really don't think it--or spike spiegel--has nearly so much depth as either of the leads from BERSERK. then again, they're not trying to rank "the most complex and interesting" anime characters, and spike is just pretty awesome at a glance, so i can totally dig that choice.

if i had to choose "one anime character who i'd like to be," certainly i'd choose spike. i wish i could pull off that suit with those goofy awesome shoes like he does, and like any cool guy in media, he makes me want to take up smoking. guts, on the other hand, makes me want to swing a sword with logs attached to it, which isn't nearly so practical.

mAcOdIn

Rewrite said:
Remember, even if we're part of the GINTAMA Defense Force, there is hardly anyone that knows who Sakata Gintoki is. At least he made it on Newtypes' list for October:

:lol <3
At least they like one of the better characters from Haruhi, Haruhi herself and Asahina are the two most annoying characters ever, but Kyon and Nagato are both decent.

Shinji being on their list though pisses me off to no end, oh and the lack of A-Ko.

Kreed

This list would only make sense if it was made by Cartoon Network. I mean where the hell is Kenshiro? And how can they put Speed Racer on the list but not anyone from Voltron?

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
The list is pretty much to be expected from IGN. It's obvious, they'd list all the well-known anime characters over the lesser known more obscure ones.

jmdajr

for me it's missing Onizuka from GTO and Guts/Berserk....old school characters like The Dirty Pair

DirtyPair.jpg

Vash, Spike, Goku, Lupin, Kaneda, Jubie,D.. I'm allllll for that for sure

I would also put Kintaro from Golden Boy on there!
Short series but awesome character!

Haruhi Suzumiya? I have no clue who that is! I don't like the character designs too much. What am I missing?

Goku#1? SWEET!

jmdajr

Shorty said:
Anime list wars - serious business.

I saw the list thinking the folks here would be happy. There is good stuff in there!
I guess I'm just a silly casual American anime fan :lol

gomenasia!

Would have like to see Kintaro Oae from Golden Boy, Kei Kurono of GANTZ, Hyate Kakashi of Naruto, and TEEEETTSSSSSSUUUUUUUOOOOOOOO!!!! from AKIRA.

But Kenshiro should be at #2 right behind Son Goku

ChryZ

OMG! What a shitty list, IGN.

My current top 10:

01 Captain Harlock
02 Kamina
03 Nono aka Buster Machine No. 7
04 Spike Spiegel
05 Haruhara Haruko
06 Tachikoma
07 Ebichu
08 Irresponsible Captain Tylor
09 Osaka
10 Matsuoka Miu

Dresden

ChryZ said:

My current top 10:

01 Captain Harlock
02 Kamina
04 Spike Spiegel
05 Haruhara Haruko
06 Tachikoma
07 Ebichu
09 Osaka
10 Matsuoka Miu

Isn't your list as slanted towards a specific genre as IGN's list is? Or, uh, not genre, but it's pretty much anti-shonen, and considering shonen's popularity...

Kite

No <insert name from obscure anime>? All you're lists fail >.>

No Dark Schneider from the anime Bastard! ? All your lists fail <.<

ChryZ said:

My current top 10

01 Captain Harlock
02 Kamina
04 Spike Spiegel
05 Haruhara Haruko
06 Tachikoma
07 Ebichu
09 Osaka
10 Matsuoka Miu

Nooot bad.

Here's my personal top 10....what the hell, top 20. Forgetting a lot of great ones, but these are the ones that come directly to mind.

1. Lupin III(and the rest of the main cast)
2. Lum
3. Captain Harlock
4. Char Aznable
5. Kenshiro
6. Ryo Saeba
7. Cutie Honey
8. Doraemon
9. Lina Inverse
10. Son Goku(from the original series when he was a monkey boy)
11. Nausicaa
12. Ataru
13. Totoro
14. Kei/Yuri
15. Devilman
16. Joe(Ashita no Joe)
17. Madoka Ayukawa
18. Ippo
19. Kaori Makimura(City Hunter)
20. Umibozu(City Hunter)

Status
Not open for further replies.