• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: The Best Open Worlds of All Time

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
It's a great list but I wanted to see this there (at least as an honorable mention)...

a3a7mdH.jpg
Keep in mind that people like you, Neogaf or me ... we are people with extensive and refined knowledge.

Do you think that the IGN have knowledge and good taste? Obviously not, that's why GTA V always appears (which for me is the worst in the series), but for its sales they will always put it on the list.

And I agree, SOTC should be in the top 10 ... Along with my beloved game

Isn't that can be said about BotW as well? There are bunch of people (including myself) who did enjoy its open world and you are one of the minority who didn't.
See below.
in BotW is incredibly designed, you're constantly seeing interesting things that you just NEED TO go check out. Or that's how it was for me, and many others. It's fine if you don't agree, but I think you're in the minority.
In the Witcher 3, you're constantly seeing interesting things that you just need to GO check out. Or that's how it was for me and many others. It's fine if you don't agree but I think you're in the minority.
I'll let you connect the dots.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
What do they mean by best? Most interesting to explore? Best designed? Most fun? Best game?

If it’s just world itself as in exploring, landscapes, etc, to me it’s easily the Witcher 3. It was beautiful, it was diverse, it had so many places to go in, nothing felt cookie cutter or cut and pasted. I got lost in that world.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Keep in mind that people like you, Neogaf or me ... we are people with extensive and refined knowledge.

Do you think that the IGN have knowledge and good taste? Obviously not, that's why GTA V always appears (which for me is the worst in the series), but for its sales they will always put it on the list.

And I agree, SOTC should be in the top 10 ... Along with my beloved game
Thank you. I was a big IGN supporter back in the early 2000's. I left them in about 2008 and GAF sorta makes them look like an amoeba in the gaming community. ✌

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Is it though? It gets to a point pretty quickly where you realise a lot of the landmarks you go to explore either have nothing there or you'll find one of the repetitive shrines

My feeling was BOTW had a great world design without reward for getting creative with exploring

I loved finding shrines (did them all), and even just finding a simple Korok seed puzzle was at least SOMETHING. In so many open world games you don't even get that for exploring.

I loved finding shrines (did them all), and even just finding a simple Korok seed puzzle was at least SOMETHING. In so many open world games you don't even get that for exploring.
I found all the shrines too.

Exploration for exploration's sake isn't as fun when you already who know you're going to "explore" before you start. 99% of the time it was another shrine with a very very similar gameplay loop. Even the dungeons felt like big shrines in terms of their sameness. The gameloop was fun to start but it gets very very repetitive. I'd rather a linear game with less exploration if the idea of exploration is an empty wilderness with a tower and shrines that all play so similar you realize how similar they are after the third or fourth one.

The towers and map feature killed that very sense of map exploration and turned exploring into looking for destinations that you could check off a list. A list they give you. Removing towers actually probably would've improved the exploration game mechanic way more in my opinion.

But for you to downplay the Witcher 3 which is heralded for its open world design and being full of life and to prop up BOTW which received criticism for its open world design and there has been a lot said about its emptyness is a bit surprising. If anything, you could critique the combat of Witcher 3 and its depth but seeing how BOTW's combat also suffers from the sameness feel after the first few hours of the gameplay loop, I can understand not wanting to bring it up. Especially since nothing in Witcher 3 compares to the weapons degradation mechanic in BOTW. Stunning to consider that game anywhere near the top 10 all-time with such a massive flaw in a core game design.

I cannot think of a single instance in my time with BOTW that compares to finding random quests and/or encounters in the woods or wilderness of Witcher 3. Zero. Never mind the writing and character development in the Witcher 3 compared to BOTW (especially the ending, don't get me started on the end of BOTW). If the content a game can point to for being open world is a laundry list of towers/shrines to discover that turn out to be almost the exact same as the previous one and will be almost the exact same as the next one and you want to herald that as content then be my guest.

Roach > Epona

Edit: Not to get in an argument, to each their own. But to downplay Witcher 3 is a bit laughable in my opinion. Cheers, game on, you do your thing.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I found all the shrines too.

Exploration for exploration's sake isn't as fun when you already who know you're going to "explore" before you start. 99% of the time it was another shrine with a very very similar gameplay loop. Even the dungeons felt like big shrines in terms of their sameness. The gameloop was fun to start but it gets very very repetitive. I'd rather a linear game with less exploration if the idea of exploration is an empty wilderness with a tower and shrines that all play so similar you realize how similar they are after the third or fourth one.

The towers and map feature killed that very sense of map exploration and turned exploring into looking for destinations that you could check off a list. A list they give you. Removing towers actually probably would've improved the exploration game mechanic way more in my opinion.

But for you to downplay the Witcher 3 which is heralded for its open world design and being full of life and to prop up BOTW which received criticism for its open world design and there has been a lot said about its emptyness is a bit surprising. If anything, you could critique the combat of Witcher 3 and its depth but seeing how BOTW's combat also suffers from the sameness feel after the first few hours of the gameplay loop, I can understand not wanting to bring it up. Especially since nothing in Witcher 3 compares to the weapons degradation mechanic in BOTW. Stunning to consider that game anywhere near the top 10 all-time with such a massive flaw in a core game design.

I cannot think of a single instance in my time with BOTW that compares to finding random quests and/or encounters in the woods or wilderness of Witcher 3. Zero. Never mind the writing and character development in the Witcher 3 compared to BOTW (especially the ending, don't get me started on the end of BOTW). If the content a game can point to for being open world is a laundry list of towers/shrines to discover that turn out to be almost the exact same as the previous one and will be almost the exact same as the next one and you want to herald that as content then be my guest.

Roach > Epona

Edit: Not to get in an argument, to each their own. But to downplay Witcher 3 is a bit laughable in my opinion. Cheers, game on, you do your thing.

I'm not downplaying TW3. It's a brilliant game. And yes, you can stumble upon more interesting side quests and stuff in it than you can in BotW. I was ONLY talking about the world design itself. There I just think BotW has a more interesting world to look at. Right when stepping out of the resurrection chamber you get this amazing view of fields, forests, a mountain split in half, and other interesting landmarks. TW3, by comparison, is a lot of forests with few interesting vistas in that sense. It's still a great world, but not one that fills me with a sense of wonder in the same way.

waxer

Botw I Havnt played but their video example? Vasaline misty shapes in background and a bunch of close up shots don't exactly make me want to play because open world.

I really should borrow a switch to try though.

These lists will just end up being people's favourite games more than anything technical etc.

Yoboman

The problem isn't whether they were fun, its whether the expectation of finding something unexpected matches what you actually find. And when you only ever find the same thing over and over again, your exploration isn't rewarded

Something like God of War, while not a large open world, did a much better job of exploration. Exploring lets you find useful upgrade materials, and interesting story & lore by going off the path on a consistent basis which feeds your overall character build growth. But there were also entire hour long stories and temples, mini bosses etc. that can be found by solving the puzzles that let you access more of the world. That game rewarded exploration in a much more meaningful way whether you're the type to just check out a few things and get some cheap treasure by exploring around the main path or want much more expansive content to feed into the exploration you're doing far away from the main quest

Strategize

Am I the only one who hates how all open world games are always lumped into the same category?

Like how the hell do you compare Red Dead 2 to Sunset Overdrive? These games are completely different in what they want to achieve, so how do you quantity one being "better" than the other?

Last edited:

zcaa0g

Banned
Breath of the Wild should be #1, and TW3 probably shouldn't be that high. Don't get me wrong, I love that game, but the world is really samey everywhere. Except for the cities there are few really notable landmarks, and the world doesn't make me want to explore everything I see like BotW did. Horizon has the same problem, but its world is even less interesting (I enjoyed that game too though, but mainly for the story).

Spoken like the typical Nintendo fanboy.

WildBoy

Is it though? It gets to a point pretty quickly where you realise a lot of the landmarks you go to explore either have nothing there or you'll find one of the repetitive shrines

My feeling was BOTW had a great world design without reward for getting creative with exploring

Wow we definitely played different games... Exploring netted you new weapons, exploring got your korok seeds that gave you more Inventory slots for those weapons... Exploring got you ingredients to cook with and also components in which to craft powerful gear with different properties... You can knock the game all you want but to knock it for exploration is a huge disservice to a game which has the best exploration and reward for it of any game I have ever played... Out of curiosity what games have good exploration iyo? Also repetitive shrines!? What? Creative shrines you mean. Surely?!

WildBoy

Breath of the Wild should be #1, and TW3 probably shouldn't be that high. Don't get me wrong, I love that game, but the world is really samey everywhere. Except for the cities there are few really notable landmarks, and the world doesn't make me want to explore everything I see like BotW did. Horizon has the same problem, but its world is even less interesting (I enjoyed that game too though, but mainly for the story).

Horizon is the most over rated game of this generation... Absolutely dry game with no heart and Combat that results in jumping about In slow mo and shooting arrows at enemies... Beautifully designed enemies that were too good for that game. Alloy is an unlikable bore that talks too much and the end boss is the biggest joke it pulls. Also child alloy is the stuff of nightmares...

THEAP99

Banned

We've put together a list of our favorite open worlds in gaming. It's worth noting that this isn't a list of IGN's Best Open-World Games™, but rather our favorite worlds in and of themselves - whether they're made up of miles of untamed wilderness, countless blocks of urban sprawl or fall somewhere in-between, these are the top 10 video game open worlds.

10) 0:33 SunsetOverdrive
09) 1:19 Horizon Zero Dawn
08) 1:50 Far Cry 4
07) 2:16 Watch Dogs 2
06) 2:47 Assassin's Creed Black Flag
05) 3:22 Skyrim
04) 4:11 Witcher 3
03) 4:52 Red Dead Redemption 2
02) 5:27 Zelda Breath of the Wild
01) 6:12 GTA V

Watch Dogs should not be on this list.

Yoboman

Wow we definitely played different games... Exploring netted you new weapons, exploring got your korok seeds that gave you more Inventory slots for those weapons... Exploring got you ingredients to cook with and also components in which to craft powerful gear with different properties... You can knock the game all you want but to knock it for exploration is a huge disservice to a game which has the best exploration and reward for it of any game I have ever played... Out of curiosity what games have good exploration iyo? Also repetitive shrines!? What? Creative shrines you mean. Surely?!
The weapons have zero value being breakables, and you don't really need to explore for cooking ingredients and components.

The shrines were creative but always the same aesthetically and were nearly always the focal point of exploration plus towers. There is a reason a lot of people would have rather have had dungeons rather than the shrines

What I would have found more interesting would be interesting side quests, NPCs, story lore. The value of getting weapons would be much higher if they weren't breakable and didn't have carry limits etc.

Greeno

There are 4 "open-world" games that truly felt new to me in terms of experience and gameplay.

* Skyrim: The exploration in this game was something really new to me. It truly felt like an adventure. The endgame was the most impressive part. I discovered that there was a civil war going on AFTER finishing the main storyline. It made me rethink of how important endgames can be.

* Far Cry 3: It felt like a true sandbox game. You could do many things in its world. Fight outposts and liberate them (and then have allies being situated there). It felt alive and crazy. Skills trees were streamlined to fit the sandbox nature of the game. It truly felt revolutionary. You can easily see the influence of this game on many of the games that came after it in terms of the streamlined skill trees.

* The Witcher 3: Player agency affected the story in ways I've never experienced before. Side-quests were really well-structured and made me invested in the characters involved. The player agency plus the story beats made me rethink of how important player agency in narrative of games is. This game made fetch quests look redundant and many are now avoiding those.

* Fallout 1: it redefined for me what open-world games should be like. No more should they hold your hands and guide you until the end. Unfortunately, this kind of experience is lost to time.

WildBoy

The weapons have zero value being breakables, and you don't really need to explore for cooking ingredients and components.

The shrines were creative but always the same aesthetically and were nearly always the focal point of exploration plus towers. There is a reason a lot of people would have rather have had dungeons rather than the shrines

What I would have found more interesting would be interesting side quests, NPCs, story lore. The value of getting weapons would be much higher if they weren't breakable and didn't have carry limits etc.

The game would hardly have a survival feel with that mecahnic. It's just like running out of ammo in the last of us. It creates tense moments and also made me more creative with the Sheikah slate. What difference is an unbreakable weapon to one you use for 2 mins then discard as you get better ones in other RPGS? This just takes away messy inventory management and that dreaded scrapping thing games love theses days. Oooohh let's scrap it for materials! *Yawn.

Nearly every shrine in Skyrim was similar in aesthetic... And they have had years of creative dungeon designs in their games and various environments in which they are themed. Also it was refreshing not to be Inca dungeon for hours with the only way to progress by solving the puzzle in front of me. Botw gave you the option to walk away and try another... It also didn't get stuck In that rhythm of dungeon and then chat or villagers to move on to next point in the story to get to next dungeon that past zeldas fell in to. The gameplay loop of botw is far larger than that.

I found all the sidequests interesting, funny or charming in their own right... I 100 percent did everything in that game and none of it seemed like a chore to me. I played it for 415 hours and got 900 korok seeds and finished all quests... On the other hand I'm 40 hours into the Witcher 3 and see why everyone liked it but it's just all a bit to much for me... Getting bored and having more fun playing Asuras Wrath for the first time. Lol.

Having said all this my fav open world where I felt completely lost in its vastness has to be San Andreas... It felt on a scale unimaginable to my mind and remember getting to San fiero and being amazed... Then getting to las Venturas and my mind completely and utterly blown! How the ps2 do that? Insane.

Witcher 3 should win a separate award for having the biggest, prettiest, but most empty open world of all time. Huge world, absolutely no depth whatsoever. I spent days exploring just to find a single deep-dive dungeon, but only found a bunch of caves that took about 90 seconds to explore.

Woggleman

San Andreas should be at least somewhere on that list. Honestly GTA IV should be there before GTA V. I know that is not a popular opinion.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Fortnite has a better open world than all the games listed by an order of magnitude.

Why? Because everything in the open world has actual meaning to the player.

WildBoy

Fortnite has a better open world than all the games listed by an order of magnitude.

Why? Because everything in the open world has actual meaning to the player.

If that's the case... Minecraft should win. Fortnites openworks is serviceable.. none of the design is remarkable. It's a giant death match map.

Arachnid

Horizon is the most over rated game of this generation... Absolutely dry game with no heart and Combat that results in jumping about In slow mo and shooting arrows at enemies... Beautifully designed enemies that were too good for that game. Alloy is an unlikable bore that talks too much and the end boss is the biggest joke it pulls. Also child alloy is the stuff of nightmares...
Agreed. It was a 6/10 kind of game for me. I can't wrap my head around people giving it 9s. 8 is really pushing it.

Moriah20

Kinda blown away that there's 3 ubisoft games in the list but no AC Origins. Their recreation of Egypt was insane - the sense of scale was mindblowing, loved how the game wasn't afraid of utilizing the desert as negative space to convey scale and distance, the cities actually felt quite big, especially Alexandria which was downright incredible, and you could really see the cultural differences between the regions. Not to mention that you could actually explore the pyramids and they weren't just lazy copy paste dungeons, but actually quite different from eachother with some cool stuff to find. AC Odyssey may have been bigger but felt like such a massive step back - most of it felt auto generated from a small pool of assets whereas Origins had a much more handcrafted feel.

For the 2 rockstar games - I'd replace GTA 5 with San Andreas. GTA 5's map is really truly brilliant and I love it, which is why it annoys me so much how the story did such a poor job at exploring the whole map. Look at San Andreas, it's basically a 30 hour long road trip that takes you full circle across the entire map. Each region represents a chapter of the story -it's great. GTA 5's map has so many either insanely underused areas (the northernmost town for example, literally a stakeout mission and a heist and that's it) or areas that you NEVER go to... like how about the military base? It's a huge, interesting area yet.... nothing. And that's ignoring all the little settlements, camp sites and other industrial areas that could easily have been used for a few missions but, they aren't. And there is not even any side content. San Andreas also wins some bonus points for using tech limitations to its advantage in conveying a sense of scale - things were so close to eachother, but the road network design, and low view distance really sold the idea of it being a massive open world. Really smart design by rockstar.

RDR 2 is my favorite open world of the gen, though it does still have GTA5's issue when it comes to the southern part of the map. You have an entire desert, even a small town, and it's all used for... NOTHING. If you don't go out your way of "unfogging" the map, then the story has ONE single mission that takes you anywhere near close. Like, I see a potential chapter with its own campsite right there.... it's just frustrating! However, thakfully the rest of the map is well utilized, and the game has really fun exploration too. And, it's the most authentic feeling & reactive world I experienced in a game yet.

Honestly nothing about HZD or Sunset Overdrive stood out to me in terms of open worlds, kinda surprised by those picks. Kingdom Come Deliverance would definitely be one of my picks instead of them, if you live in Eastern Europe or ever visited you just know how well this game recaptures the feel of that region, especially the vistas and forests. It's almost magical. Plus, the world just feels really natural, in a way that may be "boring" to some people but I think given how much the game aims for immersion, it's very fitting. My other pick would be a driving game, but I'm kinda struggling to figure out which - I think Forza Horizon 1 has a very underrated map, it's a really really underrated location and fantastic road network design. However, I think Test Drive Unlimited 1's Ohau deserves the spot more: it's the first game where I could make actual "road trips", the scale is absolutely amazing, and to this day bigger than any of the Forza Horizon games. It also does a great job at capturing the Hawaii spirit, the game just feels like a dream summer vacation really.

Skyrim isn't even the best open world in the Elder Scrolls series. Morrowind easily has one of the best open worlds in a game I have played.

In no particular order, here's my top 10 list:

-Morrowind
-Breath of the Wild
-Divinity 2: Ego Draconis
-Sunset Overdrive
-Gravity Rush
-Fallout 3
-Witcher 3
-Far Cry 4
-Forza Horizon 4
-AC Odyssey

Top Bottom