• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: The Best Open Worlds of All Time

ZZZZ

Yeah, I found it very empty and boring. Especially compared to the game you mentioned, the Witcher 3.

In the Witcher 3, you're constantly seeing interesting things that you just need to GO check out. Or that's how it was for me and many others. It's fine if you don't agree but I think you're in the minority.
Not to mention Blood and Wine, my god i loved exploring every corner of that map.

WildBoy

To be fair... Breath of the wild shouldn't even be on this list at all.... Its not open world... It's open air. :p

Castef

Banned
Expecting a game journalist to know that GTA San Andreas is the best open world game is expecting too much I guess.

"It's worth noting that this isn't a list of IGN's Best Open-World Games™, but rather our favorite worlds in and of themselves - whether they're made up of miles of untamed wilderness, countless blocks of urban sprawl or fall somewhere in-between, these are the top 10 video game open worlds."

(of course, one has to actually read to notice this...)

kiphalfton

"It's worth noting that this isn't a list of IGN's Best Open-World Games™, but rather our favorite worlds in and of themselves - whether they're made up of miles of untamed wilderness, countless blocks of urban sprawl or fall somewhere in-between, these are the top 10 video game open worlds."

(of course, one has to actually read to notice this...)

Okay.

Doesn't really change the fact that GTA 5 doesn't necessarily have a better world than GTA San Andreas or any of the other GTA games. Or for that matter, any of the games listed having better worlds than earlier generation games (PS3, PS2, etc.).

Really neat how they limited this video to this current generation (since all the games were released this gen, whether as remasters or new releases). Make sure you hit that like and subscribe button on IGN's videos boss.

Last edited:

Joe T.

I know they're not exactly the pinnacle of game/mission design in the series, but between GTA IV and V one of the two is deserving of being on that list. Those are some large, very detailed and well-populated worlds with unique touches sprinkled throughout, the former having more dynamic/interesting NPC AI and ragdoll physics to make it feel more alive (pedestrian and vehicles both).

I'd probably squeeze out one of those games to include World of Warcraft even though it's not my favorite MMORPG. I loved making my way through that world the first time through.

Rikkori

Any list without Kingdom Come Deliverance for open-world should be immediately repudiated.

IGN = trash, confirmed. Again. :messenger_face_steam:

Last edited:
The more I think about it the more I hate this list, like Far Cry 4 had the worst world of any entry. Literally no Fallout game. Even as a fan of Black Flag the open world wasn't the allure, the sailing was, you can argue it's a big deal for making traversing an open world the most fun part but the world itself wasn't that interesting. I'd even argue it's SLIGHTLY weird to include games like Witcher 3 or Red Dead 2, because those games the open world is designed to immerse you into the rest of the game, it's not the star of the game it's just a tool for the story, arguably most open world games are like this but they did say this list was about the open world itself, while leaving out franchises like Fallout where the world IS the star.

HZD and BOTW were the only open world games I've played in many years that actually wowed me and sucked me in. Also Skyrim did when it came out and I'd probably put RDR2, , GTAV in there just due to the production values of those places (especially having lived in LA for so long). And then Witcher 3 I'll have to give another shot. But BOTW shoulda been 1, HZD shoulda been 2 and the rest below.

Spoken like the typical Nintendo fanboy.
I aint a nintendo fanboy and I COMPLETELY agree. Very few open world games excite me nowadays or feel fresh - BOTW managed to. Just discovering these weird ass fantastical things all over the place and the physics - to me that's the best open world as of yet. Of all time - Gta3 has got to be in there somewhere.

God Enel

For me will always will be Gravity Rush. The game has one of the best traversal in open world game and amazing world which is just joy to fly around and explore.
tumblr_o3c7s5c0dD1u10jf6o1_400.gif

34464.gif
I swear to god. Is this available on pc? Or do I have to play it on ps5?

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I swear to god. Is this available on pc? Or do I have to play it on ps5?
For now its only available on PS4 and its a game from Studio Japan, similar to Shadow of the Colossus and The last Guardian so there is less chance coming to PC.

But I hope it does come to PC, this game absolutely deserves second chance, same way original Valkyria Chronicles did on PC.

God Enel

For now its only available on PS4 and its a game from Studio Japan, similar to Shadow of the Colossus and The last Guardian so there is less chance coming to PC.

But I hope it does come to PC, this game absolutely deserves second chance, same way original Valkyria Chronicles did on PC.
Well I’ma buy that shit when I have my ps5. Fuck it. It has to be backward compatible. I missed this whole gen (played only god of war, the two uncharted games and FF7R).

TMLT

Did anyone else find the map of BOTW to be utterly boring? Sure it was massive but didn’t seem particularly interesting to explore.

It didnt have much in the way of towns or lots of traditional NPCs to talk to/side quests. But it was huge, diverse, beautiful and the interactivity of the enviroment and potential for emergent gameplay was awesome. Also the way you needed certain clothes etc to survive the conditions in certain areas, or needed a certain amount of stamina to climb to certain places etc kept it interesting imo.

Silvawuff

Isn't that can be said about BotW as well? There are bunch of people (including myself) who did enjoy its open world and you are one of the minority who didn't.

I totally agree with this. BotW was probably one of the best open world designs I've seen in a video game. The fact you can traverse anywhere and climb anything, along with all the secrets, koroks, shrines...There's a lot to do, and something interesting to discover every 10 feet. It rewards you for exploring, with lots of little "ah ha" moments that feel like a nod from the designer that put it there. It was like a small "thanks for checking this spot, I put it here for you to find." It's fun to just spend hours going wherever you want and getting into trouble.

Edit: I should mention I felt some of the sentiment here about the boring "samey-ness" here and put the game down for a good 3-6 months before coming back to it and really engaging it to the end. When it finally clicks, it's quite awesome.

Last edited:

Poordevil

No Gothic 1 or 2? Yup ... It's IGN.
I was scrolling through comments looking for some mention of the Gothic series. But my favorite was Gothic 3. For all its glitches and faults I had a blast with that game! I played Gothic 2 and it was good too. But any list of all time best open world games with no mention of Gothic is shallow in scope.

radewagon

WTH? Did everyone suddenly get collective amnesia? I ask you this, where's the love for Lego City Undercover? Chase McCain fans represent.

DonF

I just realised I feel open world games are very boring. I've played almost every game in that list and only finished Zelda botw.

intbal

1. Pool of Radiance
2. Fallout 2
3. River City Ransom
4. Mercenaries
5. Morrowind
6. Jet Set Radio Future
7. Escape Velocity
8. San Andreas
9. Forza Horizon 3
10. Freelancer

Poordevil

I have started up Mad Max. The more I play it the more I like it. It is a decent open world game. If you like action there is plenty of it! Also there is an upgrade system for your car, weapons and Max himself. So it is an RPG of sorts. The car combat and melee hand to hand fighting are both fun. My main beef is with the controls. There is input lag and they just have an overall sloppy feel about them. But I am enjoying the rest of the game enough to put up with it.

List makes it feel like IGN only plagarizes younger youtubers who haven't played many older games lol.

So I really like Xenoblade Chronicles X.

Here's a guy giving his take on why he thinks XCX is the best open world rpg:

Itchytwitchy

Neo Member
Is it? The world in BotW is incredibly designed, you're constantly seeing interesting things that you just NEED TO go check out. Or that's how it was for me, and many others. It's fine if you don't agree, but I think you're in the minority.

Ah yes, the "I'm going to start one quest and stay on that - OH LOOK WHAT THE RJWARK IS GOING ON OVER THERE, IS THAT GLOWING?!" days. I think I'm going to replay that today now lol. Cheers

HotPocket69

Banned
I have started up Mad Max. The more I play it the more I like it. It is a decent open world game. If you like action there is plenty of it! Also there is an upgrade system for your car, weapons and Max himself. So it is an RPG of sorts. The car combat and melee hand to hand fighting are both fun. My main beef is with the controls. There is input lag and they just have an overall sloppy feel about them. But I am enjoying the rest of the game enough to put up with it.

It’s a pretty awesome game and strikingly gorgeous at times. Every single enemy camp, bunker etc all look different from one another too which was an under appreciated achievement. Almost Zelda like in that way. I think it would’ve also benefited from a Mordor like Nemesis system involving the different gangs and factions.

Goddamn what a great game.

SantaC

It’s a pretty awesome game and strikingly gorgeous at times. Every single enemy camp, bunker etc all look different from one another too which was an under appreciated achievement. Almost Zelda like in that way. I think it would’ve also benefited from a Mordor like Nemesis system involving the different gangs and factions.

Goddamn what a great game.
Creative director of mad max said that biomutant will blow it away

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Witcher 3 is barely open world
far cry is shit world
AC is busywork world
Horizon is "vast spaces of twigs" and occasional annoying trex world
But would still put most of those above GTA 5 which is completely dead. For example, even Days Gone is much more interesting.

ShinNL

I feel like the rankings on Elder Scrolls series is completely based on how much time you spent in each one and which brings the most nostalgia.

It somewhat makes sense: if you've spend a lot of time in one, the map should be more memorable and recognizable.

For the world alone, my ranking is Skyrim > Morrowind > Oblivion.

But when it comes to gameplay, it's Skyrim > Morrowind > Oblivion.

Nope, exactly the same. Maybe I spend the most time in the one I found the most mechanically fun.

That said, I'm not gonna dismiss your opinion if you like one more than the other.
But I expect you to not think you have a superior opinion either. Cause then you're wrong.

SantaC

weren’t they involved in Rage 2 after Mad Max? Will there be yet another post apocalyptic action sandbox after these two?
No, stefan ljungqvist left Avalanche after mad max and started experiment 101. He was involved in just cause 1, 2 and mad max

Top Bottom