• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: The Top 10 Modern RPGs of All Time

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

From the newest iterations of classic series to brand new ones, here are our picks of the top 10 modern RPGs of all time. Here's a couple of quick notes on our rules: For the purposes of this video, we're defining "Modern" as any game released in the last 15 years. Since RPG is such a broad genre, we also made the rule to leave off anything that could be more easily described as a sub-genre, which means we're leaving off all Soulsborne games, tactical-RPGs, and action-RPGs that skew too closely to the action genre.

No Siralim 3? lol okay

As a fun exercise, I listed all the games that I figured they would include based on popularity and I got most of 'em (didn't think of Divinity: OS2, Persona 5, or Disco Elysium).

Witcher 3's high accolades continues to perplex me. Is it the open world? Is it something else? Witcher 2 post-patches is the superior, leaner game.

brian0057

Banned
Mass Effect 2 (not even the first one) and Skyrim made the list but not Deus Ex?
People will call anything an RPG these days.
cough*witcher3*cough.

Last edited:

VertigoOA

Banned
Not a single From Software game?

never thought of them as rpgs... My favorite single player experiences of the last decade are from software games tho. They’re better than everything on this list.

Witcher 3 definitely deserves top spot.

Dragon Age doesn’t deserve to be there.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Arbitrarily making the threshold 15 years means that WoW, VTM: Bloodlines, Fable, and KotOR 2 missed the cut-off by a year. Retarded.

Fifteen years marks when the Xbox 360 came out, so I don't think it is arbitrary.

The list is fine anyway. How much more do we need to talk about WoW and VTM Bloodlines.

Shifty1897

I'm fine with this list, though I would have swapped in Deus Ex Human Revolution for Disco Elysium.

As for the Soulsborne games not being included, I agree that they're their own genre at this point, no different than a tactical RPG. The list would have been less interesting with them on there.

VertigoOA

Banned
Why not? Levels, stats, skills, classes, weapons, spells... it's all there. I don't see how they can count Dragon's Dogma as an RPG, but not Dark Souls.

every game has this now....

Bloodborne for instance is more of a Metroidvania than anything else...

Last edited:

johntown

Banned
never thought of them as rpgs... My favorite single player experiences of the last decade are from software games tho. They’re better than everything on this list.

Witcher 3 definitely deserves top spot.

Dragon Age doesn’t deserve to be there.
How are they not RPG's? The souls games are the very definition of an RPG. Just because IGN says they are not RPG's does not make it true. They are more of an RPG than Mass Effect 2 (please note I love Mass Effect 2) but it is much more of an action game than an RPG.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Role-playing_video_game

They seem to fit to me?

IGN just didn't want to include them because they would end up taking to the top 4 spots. Except for maybe The Witcher 3. I agree that game is a masterpiece and probably deserves the #1 spot.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Is Fallout: New Vegas really that good? Never really looked into Divinity - now interested. Semi-surprised no Final Fantasy entries included. Glad DQ11 made the list.

In my opinion NO. I much prefer FO3 to FO:NV. In fact I much prefer it to TW3 and would put it at#1.

Birdo

Banned
Skyrim is way too low. It's one of the most popular single-player RPGs of all time.

Mass Effect 2 above it? :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Metnut

Not a bad list.

Surprised to see the Mass Effect 2 hate. Was a really good game that I played the heck out of.

brian0057

Banned
Not a bad list.

Surprised to see the Mass Effect 2 hate. Was a really good game that I played the heck out of.
Mass Effect 2 is a good game, but it sucks as an RPG.
On a scale from 1 to Daggerfall, the second Mass Effect ranks as a Gears of War.

Last edited:

Humdinger

I don't get the love for fallout new Vegas, found it boring after spending over 100 hours in fallout 3. I brought the first divinity and really don't understand the love for that either. Maybe I have bad taste.

Same. I wouldn't attribute it to "bad taste," though. RPG is a weird genre, which attracts some odd people (including me). You know, you can get a group of people who like first-person shooters together, and they will more or less agree on what the great games in the genre are. Same for racing games, sports games, platformers, and many other genres. Not so for RPGs. Although you can find some degree of consensus, there is a drastic range of variability in opinion. With RPGs, preferences are very individualistic.

anthraticus

Banned
Skyrim is way too low. It's one of the most popular single-player RPGs of all time.
I know it's lol GN, so it's gonna be that anyway, but I thought theoretically, that this was a list of the top modern RPGs......not most popular.

Last edited:

SantaC

1. The Witcher 3
2. Fallout: New Vegas
3. Mass Effect 2
4. Divinity: Original Sin 2
5. Persona 5 Royal
6. Disco Elysium
7. Skyrim
8. Dragon Age Origins
9. Dragon's Dogma
10. DQ11
What a shit list.

Where are the Falcom rpgs?!

YS8 should be top5.

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
I was expecting way worse. It's not as bad, but theres aways room for improvement.

Most popular for all the wrong reasons I guess. Can't say that would be enought reason to score higher.

Last edited:

anthraticus

Banned
No order... starting with 2010, otherwise I'd have Knights of the Chalice (2009) in here, no doubt.

UnderRail
Age of Decadence/Dungeon Rats
Grimoire Heralds of the Winged Exemplar
Dark Souls
Pathfinder: Kingmaker (turn based mod)
Shadowrun: Dragonfall
Fallout: New Vegas
Kingdom Come Deliverance
Neo Scavenger
Disco Elysium

Last edited:

Lux R7

i bet they don't even know about the existence of Inquisitor.
that said, including DD and excluding souls doesn't make sense to me because they are the same genre (third person arpgs)

BigBooper

Is Fallout: New Vegas really that good? Never really looked into Divinity - now interested. Semi-surprised no Final Fantasy entries included. Glad DQ11 made the list.
I've tried repeatedly and can not get into Divinity OS2. It's one of those games that feels more like playing a spreadsheet than a game.

Top Bottom