• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: The Top 10 Modern RPGs of All Time

gimic26

Neo Member
I'm mostly on board with this list. Never played Fallout:NV (couldn't get into 3 so I never gave this a shot) , Persona, DA:O (2 felt cramped in a small world and Inquisition felt too big at times) or Dragon's Dogma.

I put so many hours into Witcher 3. I beat the main game 3 times and the DLCs twice. Blood and Wine is just an incredible achievement for a DLC thanks to CDPR's world building and storytelling. Gameplay might be better in Witcher 2 as it's a tighter, more focused experience but I just couldn't get enough of the world and all there was to do in the 3rd game.

The ME Trilogy is my favorite RPG series of all time and ME2 is my favorite of the 3 even though it has it's flaws. Combat is better than the 1st game though not as good as the 3rd. I loved the loyalty missions and their consequences. The story was great even though the ending was odd albeit not nearly as horrible as the 3rd game's ending,

D:OS2 was fantastic, especially co-op. So much fun, a great story, character progression and music. Anyone who hasn't played this should give it a shot if you can handle the turn based combat. Grab a friend and go in together!

Disco Elysium was oddly good. Not usually a point and click person but I had fun with it. Story got better as the game went on.

DQ11...I grew up loving JRPGs from the 80's and 90's but I don't think I'm that big a fan anymore. This was a decent game but I really struggled to finish this.

Anyone want to recommend me a great modern(ish) JRPG? FFXV was awful. FFXII: Zodiac Age was great though IX is my favorite of the series.

S0ULZB0URNE

From the newest iterations of classic series to brand new ones, here are our picks of the top 10 modern RPGs of all time. Here's a couple of quick notes on our rules: For the purposes of this video, we're defining "Modern" as any game released in the last 15 years. Since RPG is such a broad genre, we also made the rule to leave off anything that could be more easily described as a sub-genre, which means we're leaving off all Soulsborne games, tactical-RPGs, and action-RPGs that skew too closely to the action genre.

List sucks

Top Bottom