• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I'm new to PC games, what should I get..."

DocSeuss

I'm not great at thread titles.

Ya'll have probably heard this before. Someone comes along, new/returning to PC gaming, and they want to know what they should play. Nine times out of ten, they get some pretty boilerplate responses:

Valve stuff, Blizzard stuff, Tripwire's games, League, Binding of Isaac, The Witcher 2, Civ 4 or 5... and that's all well and good, but for the sake of discussion, let's pretend someone's just told you they're new to PC games, and when you make these suggestions, they go "yeah, yeah, yeah, I already know about those, and I'm not interested. What else you got?"

What do you say then? To make it a bit easier, let's go with stuff that's PC exclusive or PC primary--meaning, it might be on consoles, but it might as well not be, since sales/playerbase/whatever is abysmal. So no Dark Souls, in other words, because everyone already knows about that, but Sanctum 2 or Tropico 5 would count.

Basically, what computer games would you recommend beyond the titles everyone recommends?

Me, I'm likely to run with these:

STALKER

I've talked before about how the game saved my life. I owe it a lot. Plus, the series is a great introduction to games we don't normally see on consoles: janky European video games. It's one of the most atmospheric games of all time, one of the smartest gaming experiences in existence, and there's nothing else like it in existence out there.

Orcs Must Die 2

I don't know why I enjoy Orcs Must Die 2. There's just something awesome about its cool action/tower defense hybrid that makes it super duper fun. Plus, traps are way cooler than towers, the humor's solid, solving levels is a blast... crap, I'm talking myself into going back and playing it. Plus, I mean, 2-player co-op. Always awesome.

Tropico 4

I like Tropico 4 because it's one of the most zen gaming experiences I've ever played. When I need to relax, Tropico 4's my go-to game. It's not really a game you can lose most of the time. You just kinda do stuff, listen to super happy music, enjoy the sense of humor, and build the virtual equivalent of an ant farm. Contrary to what most reviewers said back in the day, Tropico 4's radically changed from Tropico 5. While it's got the same basic formula, there's a lot more going on--subtle changes that drastically influence the way you play. Going back to Tropico 3 after playing Tropico 4 reveals just how radical that change is.

Age of Empires II/Age of Mythology

Now that they've got Steam releases, the best RTSes of all time totally deserve attention. They're still great after all these years--absolutely delightful to play, chock-full of content (not to mention the endless permutations in skirmish modes)... heck, Age of Empires 2 actually got an expansion after years of play, which was originally one of the game's best, most ambitious mods. The multiplayer can get a bit stuttery, but, hey, AoE2HD is like $7 on the Humble store. That's well worth the price of admission.

System Shock 2

I think it's the greatest game of all time, despite some janky controls and a rough initial hour. Considering that everyone from Bioshock to Portal to Dead Space to Doom 3 got everything they know from System Shock 2, and it still outshines them all... I think it's one of those games that people should play regardless of their interest. It is one of, if not the most influential video games ever made. I can think of very few games that make it onto "best of all time" lists that are A) better than System Shock 2 and B) more influential than System Shock 2. Whether it's "best horror games" or "best sci-fi games" or whatever, System Shock 2 pretty much tops whatever list it's on. Nothing else comes close.

Shadow Warrior (2013)

It was the best game released in 2013, hiding some brilliant, original storytelling beneath a veneer of enthusiastic immaturity. In a lot of ways, Shadow Warrior is like Bulletstorm, but with more bosses, a dodge system, magic skills, a longer campaign, a ridiculous number of secrets, and a ton of other stuff. It's the best-written game in years, putting stuff like Bioshock Infinite to shaaaaame, and it's got better gameplay on top of that. Ain't nothing sexier than the four-barreled shotgun with a giant red "everything dies" alt fire button, let me tell you.

BONUS SHADOW WARRIOR GIFS FROM MESSOFANEGO

i3wjeJLMng0GG.gif

iwUinl6nWnHN0.gif

Tons of other stuff out there I'm sure should be recommended. What stuff do you think people should check out if they're new to PC gaming, but have already been given/don't like the generally-recommended stuff?

Durante

Planescape: Torment

Because I'm evil and want to make them dislike the story and characters of any game they play subsequently, forever.

DocSeuss

Indeed. Not enough people recommend them. Check out any "must-have" list, and you'll see 'em in the comments, but they're almost never on the lists themselves.

Because I'm evil and want to make them dislike the story and characters of any game they play subsequently, forever.

Not sure if evil or good...

Deadly Premonition + The Walking Dead + Alpha Protocol + Assassin's Creed 2

let's go with stuff that's PC exclusive or PC primary--meaning, it might be on consoles, but it might as well not be, since sales/playerbase/whatever is abysmal

tumblr_mquh4a4rEn1qlovjio1_500.gif

Hari Seldon

EU4

Sins of a Solar Empire

Out of the Park Baseball 15

CoH

The above is what I have been keep coming back to over the last few years in PC gaming. All have more than 200-300 hours of my time haha.

Vampire Bloodlines. Still looks good and plays flawlessly with the fan patch. Hasn't aged at all and is easily one of the best games ever developed.

Opiate

Can anyone recommend some games for my new girlfriend? She's a lifelong console gamer (and particularly handheld gamer) who has avoided PCs mostly through necessity; she's only owned laptops.

Well, now she has a desktop PC. A good one, that can run Crysis on high, just for measurement's sake. I also think she has a taste that lends itself fairly well to PC gaming. Some of her favorite games:

Animal Crossing
Legend of Zelda:OoT
Pokémon Soul Silver

Recent favorites:

Ace Attorney series
Professor Layton
Mass Effect

She is also a dedicated board gamer. Some of her favorites:

Agricola
Glass Road
Worker placement and econ games of all types

She does not like random loot drop games, generally, which means no games like Diablo or RPGs like DarkSouls. She has already expressed interest in Telltalle games' series. She likes puzzle and strategy, but hasn't played a lot of turn based strategy to have a strong sense of whether her board game preferences translate to video games.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Sentenza

Space Rangers 2.
It's like "Pirates!" in space, but with the EVE Online spaceship fitting on top, with some text based adventures as side quests, plus occasional RTS sections. Except with more story and RPG in it.
And the universe is alive and goes on by itself regardless of the player input.
In short, it's one of the most deep, ambitious and rewarding games ever made... And one of the most criminally overlooked too, considering how virtually no one seem to acknowledge its existence even on core gaming forums.

NIN90

Can anyone recommend some games for my new girlfriend? She's a lifelong console gamer (and particularly handheld gamer) who has avoided PCs mostly through necessity; she's only owned laptops.

Well, now she has a desktop PC. A good one, that can run Crysis on high, just for measurement's sake. I also think she has a taste that lends itself fairly well to PC gaming. Some of her favorite games:

Animal Crossing
Pokémon Soul Silver

Recent favorites:

Ace Attorney series
Professor Layton
Mass Effect

Agricola
Glass Road

She does not like random loot drop games, generally, which means no games like Diablo or RPGs like DarkSouls. She has already expressed interest in Telltalle games' series. She likes puzzle and strategy, but hasn't played a lot of turn based strategy to have a strong sense of whether her board game preferences translate to video games.

Alpha Protocol sounds like a good fit considering she liked Mass Effect.
Shadowrun Returns too for a recent turnbased game with a strong story focus (don't remember if it has random loot)

Andrew.

Banned
I was expecting your opening post to be five times longer. You're slippin Doc.

Also, Day of the Tentacle and anything LucasArts point n click related circa mid to late 90s.

DocSeuss

FTL

I guess it's on tablets too now but still FTL

I should have mentioned that one in my "don't mention this," because it's another one everyone mentions. Still a fantastic game, though. One of my favorites, even if I've never gotten past the final boss.

Tropico 5 comes out next week.

This week. It comes out this week.

I'm so excited.

Vampire Bloodlines. Still looks good and plays flawlessly with the fan patch. Hasn't aged at all and is easily one of the best games ever developed.

Hnng, great call.

Animal Crossing
Pokémon Soul Silver

Recent favorites:

Ace Attorney series
Professor Layton
Mass Effect

Agricola
Glass Road

Have her try Tropico 4's demo. It's all about economic management stuff. If she likes it, The Settlers VII (though it has Uplay) is another great title. It has so many resources, you've got to do things like road planning... it's awesome. I love it to pieces, and really hope we eventually get Settlers VIII.

Divinity: Dragon Commander might be enjoyable? It's a weird mix of... like... Risk meets RTS (though you can autoresolve and not do the RTS battles) meets Mass Effect-style politicking.

Space Rangers 2.
It's like "Pirates!" in space, but with the EVE Online spaceship fitting on top, with some text based adventures as side quests, plus occasional RTS sections. Except with more story and RPG in it.
And the universe is alive and goes on by itself regardless of the player input.
In short, it's one of the most deep, ambitious and rewarding games ever made... And one of the most criminally overlooked too, considering how virtually no one seem to acknowledge its existence even on core gaming forums.

I have not heard of this. Thank you for the recommendation. :D

This vs Shadow Warrior?

edit - I got one for you! Zeno Clash! You'll want to play it.

Zeno Clash... still not sure if I liked it or not.

Shadow Warrior is a bit less polished than Far Cry 3, but it's by far the better package overall. When I say Shadow Warrior was the best game of 2013, you do realize I'm putting it up against The Last of Us and Bioshock Infinite, right? I'm deadly serious. It's superb. It's the most late-90s-like shooter I've played.

I was expecting your opening post to be five times longer. You're slippin Doc.

I got stuff to do is all. Did this between errands.

Also, my long posts tend not to get nearly as much discussion as I wish they would. And I didn't want to mention a bunch of stuff and leave people with nothing to say. For instance, I didn't mention Thief or Homeworld.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Everyone recommends it, but in fact, it's a whole genere:
Civilization, head of the 4X genre, which has a lot of valid titles in it. Don't do yourself a disservice by not even trying to play those.
A good starting game in the genre, except of course Civilizations themselves, is Endless Space.

Santiako

Animal Crossing
Pokémon Soul Silver

Recent favorites:

Ace Attorney series
Professor Layton
Mass Effect

Agricola
Glass Road

Sounds like she would love Civilization V.

DocSeuss

Everyone recommends it, but in fact, it's a whole genere:
Civilization, head of the 4X genre, which has a lot of valid titles in it. Don't do yourself a disservice by not even trying to play those.
A good starting game in the genre, except of course Civilizations themselves, is Endless Space.

MOO is the head of the 4X genre. Civ is an impostor.

But yeah, Pandora: First Contact, Endless Space, Endless Legend... lots of great 4X things out there. I'm just not into the Civ thing nearly enough to recommend it. I kinda recommend picking up Endless Legend when I could have gotten Men of War: Assault Squad 2 or Wargame: Red Dragon instead.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member

Animal Crossing
Pokémon Soul Silver

Recent favorites:

Ace Attorney series
Professor Layton
Mass Effect

Agricola
Glass Road

Jelly No Puzzle is an amazing puzzle game, free as well iirc

If she likes Adventure games she should check out the LucasArt classics

Maybe she'd like Europa Universalis IV ? Oh, and FTL, even though it's a rogue-like

Farks!

Classics:
Fallout
Fallout 2
Baldur's Gate 2
Deus Ex

Modern:
Company of Heroes
The Witcher
Wargame: Red Dragon (for the multiplayer)

TwistedSyn

Jeez where do I begin...

Freespace 2
Commandos 1-3
Crusader: No Remorse and No Regret
System Shock 2
Descent 1 and 2
Hard Reset
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six games
Return to Castle Wolfenstein
Singularity
FTL: Faster Than Light
The Binding of Issac
Age of Wonders games
Papers Please
Outcast
Wing Commander games
Giants: Citizen Kabuto
Sacrifice
Ultima 7 games
Thief 1 and 2
Deus Ex
Blade of Darkness
Dungeon Keeper 1 and 2
Blood
Jagged Alliance 1 and 2
Roller Coaster Tycoon 1 and 2

There are so much more I can list but, for right now those are my recommendations.

Civ 4 or 5... and when you make these suggestions, they go "yeah, yeah, yeah, I already know about those, and I'm not interested. What else you got?"

I'd sit down and have a serious conversation with them and ask them if they'd heard the good word about Sid Meier.

Neo Child

Banned
jazz jackrabbit
commander keen 1
doom 2
transport tycoon deluxe
rollercoaster tycoon 2 & 3 (2's like a better 1, 3 is different - some love, some hate. i love it - get the one with all the expansions)

ryuken-d

This vs Shadow Warrior?

edit - I got one for you! Zeno Clash! You'll want to play it.

zeno clash is such a weird ass game. Its like aliens made this game, it seriously makes me feel like I'm tripping balls. also shadow warrior all the way. way all the way.

DJIzana

Sleeping Dogs. It always goes on sale and, I think, it's THE best open world game out there. Can't go wrong. PC version has amazing graphics too.

Gone Home and Hearthstone might be up her alley.

Battleblock Theater just came out recently on Steam.

injurai

Banned
Creating such a massive backlog is not the best way to go about things.

Half-life Series
Diablo 2
Deus Ex
The Witcher
Age of Mythology

Denton

Vampire Bloodlines...might be a bit rough graphically, but it is one of the best, most atmospheric games ever, and it had female playable characters.
Also New Vegas should be tried. If she does not mind older graphics, maybe even older Fallout games, 1 and 2 with high-res patches/restoration packs, they look good and are still fantastic.

Skyzard

Banned
zeno clash is such a weird ass game. Its like aliens made this game, it seriously makes me feel like I'm tripping balls. also shadow warrior all the way. way all the way.

Ha, great way of putting it lol. I'm almost scared of firing up the sequel which I have sitting in my library for a while now. Saving it for the right mood of wondrous weirdness.

I'm loving Shadow Warrior already, I had far cry blood dragon on my list though, it does look quite cool.

0xShodan

Neo Member
Try Gothic 2 ...

But I can't really tell you why I like it. It may be the whole atmosphere , the music or even perhaps how you may end up using game bugs to your advantage at times ...

Sentenza

Opiate, it's not strictly an exclusive but I'm going with a stab in the dark and guess she would probably enjoy Xcom a lot.
Bloodlines is another good suggestion.

Also Dragon Age seems to have a strong fanbase among women.

Authority

Banned

Animal Crossing
Pokémon Soul Silver

Recent favorites:

Ace Attorney series
Professor Layton
Mass Effect

Agricola
Glass Road

Definitely Portal and Half-Minute Hero. Oh and Syberia and The Longest Journey. Basically Point n Click Adventure GAF 2014 No longer in our dreams, memories or just Germany.

She might like Ragnarok Online.

Liha

Banned
Shooter:
System Shock 2
STALKER

Strategy:
Civilization 5
Total War: Empire / Shogun 2

RPG:
Gothic 1 + 2

Opiate

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. Lots of good ideas. Responding to a few of the "sounds good in theory but doesn't work because..." answers:

1) She seems to get a bit motion sick with FPS games, but she's willing to give FPS another try on PC with the different controls. I have already gotten her Portal.

2) New Vegas/Fallout has random loot, correct? I don't actually know that. She doesn't particularly like open world games, so I think this is a series that isn't for her.

3) She does not particularly enjoy Trading Card Games. Which is a shame, since I play hearthstone.

4) Xcom seems like wading in to the deep end right from the start. Is it an optimal choice for someone who has never played turn based video game strategies?

5) She liked but did not love Dragon Age 1.

If these seem like criticisms, don't take them that way. I'm just responding to suggestions to better help you guys help me. What is half minute hero about? I'll wiki it.

Can anyone recommend some games for my new girlfriend?

Seems like she would enjoy some of the less combat-oriented MMOs out there, as Animal Crossing is basically an offline my first MMO.

For the Phoenix Wright enjoyment, there are a number of point and click adventures which you might want to look into;
- Lucasarts point and clicks, naturally
- Broken Sword 1&2
- the Blackwell trilogy (and other Wadjet eye titles like Gemini Rue)
- Machinarium / Botanicula / Samorost
- Dreamfall / Longest Journey
- Daedalic Games portfolio
- Pendulo Games portfolio
- Telltale Games (puzzle agent is a straight up rip off of Layton)

She is also a dedicated board gamer.

There are a lot of "digital boardgames" you might want to check out, beyond the more traditional turn based titles;
- Delve Deeper
- Greed Corps
- Fate of the World (about the most depressing game I have ever played, as it is in uncomfortably realistic portrayal that solving climate change is hard)

Space Rangers 2.

Steam seems to have removed Space Rangers 2: Reboot from the store (the one I have and the one you're probably referring to?) and replaced it with a Space Rangers HD instead.

In a similar vein, the awfully named Space Pirates And Zombies (S.P.A.Z) which is just the combat parts (no text adventures here)

Top Bottom