• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I'm new to PC games, what should I get..."

Herne

Kerbal Space Program
Crusader Kings II/Europa Universalis IV
Total War series
Payday 2
Left 4 Dead 2
Faster Than Light
Rust
DayZ
Chivalry - Medieval Warfare
Mount & Blade Warband

Denton

2) New Vegas/Fallout has random loot, correct? I don't actually know that. She doesn't particularly like open world games, so I think this is a series that isn't for her.

It has some loot, but they are really not loot games. The meat of Fallout lies in dialogues, quests, choices, consequences, exploration. Loot is just a small part of the game(s).
And Bloodlines man. Almost no loot there. Pure dialogue character heaven.

Opiate

It has some loot, but they are really not loot games. The meat of Fallout lies in dialogues, quests, choices, consequences, exploration. Loot is just a small part of the game(s).
And Bloodlines man. Almost no loot there. Pure dialogue character heaven.

Okay, I'll recommend Bloodlines. She does not mind lower end graphics (her preferred system is 3DS).

z1ggy

• Fallout 1&2: The best games cRPG about the world ends.
  • Planescape: This is the best RPG.
  • Undying (2001): If you like Half life and horror games, this is a great classic game.
  • DOTA 2: You know.
  • CS:GO: The best FPS multiplayers.
  • Shadow Warrior: My GOTY FPS from 2013.

DocSeuss

Borderlands 2. Man I love those PhysX. Fun game too.

Dark Souls 2. framerate on that game makes me smile on the inside.

Creating such a massive backlog is not the best way to go about things.

Half-life Series
Diablo 2
The Witcher

It's like some of you don't even read the OP. :mad:

I'd sit down and have a serious conversation with them and ask them if they'd heard the good word about Sid Meier.

Either EVERYONE's got the recommendation, or, like me, they just don't enjoy hex-based games all that much.

System Shock 2

I think it's the greatest game of all time, despite some janky controls and a rough initial hour. Considering that everyone from Bioshock to Portal to Dead Space to Doom 3 got everything they know from System Shock 2, and it still outshines them all... I think it's one of those games that people should play regardless of their interest. It is one of, if not the most influential video games ever made. I can think of very few games that make it onto "best of all time" lists that are A) better than System Shock 2 and B) more influential than System Shock 2. Whether it's "best horror games" or "best sci-fi games" or whatever, System Shock 2 pretty much tops whatever list it's on. Nothing else comes close.

SS2 = GOAT next to FFVII and Deus Ex for me.

My MUST play PC list:

Deus Ex, Deus Ex: HR (and if you really love those 2, then the sequel to the original, called Invisible War, as well).

Baldur's Gate 2 + Expansion

Half Life 1&2 + expansions

EverQuest (Go to Project1999.org and download the private server emulator - best classic EQ experience there is and it's kosher via the Sony EQ Live people).

Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines

Thief 1 & 2

Duke Nukem 3D

Dark Forces 1&2

Jedi Knight & JK 2

KOTOR 1 & 2

Anachronox

Arcanum

Planescape: Torment

Starcraft 2 (1 was better but its dead now)

Diablo 3 (2 was better but again, its dead now)

Elder Scrolls Online (this one will get some hate, I'm sure).

Looking at this list.... yes I'm stuck in the late 90's early 2000's...

shaowebb

For damned fine card games

• Hearthstone
  • Might and Magic Duel of Champions
  • Infinity Wars

DOTA 2 for damned fine life sappingly addictive MOBA goodness.

For damned fine Bulllethell
  • Jamestown
  • Ikaruga
  • eXceed Trilogy Jade Penetrate Black Package
  • Crimzon Clove
  • Siter Skain Trilogy

For damned fine Metroidvania meets roguelike ROGUE LEGACY

Ah yeah...damned fine time on damned fine PC gaming.

Authority

Banned
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. Lots of good ideas. Responding to a few of the "sounds good in theory but doesn't work because..." answers:

1) She seems to get a bit motion sick with FPS games, but she's willing to give FPS another try on PC with the different controls. I have already gotten her Portal.

2) New Vegas/Fallout has random loot, correct? I don't actually know that. She doesn't particularly like open world games, so I think this is a series that isn't for her.

3) She does not particularly enjoy Trading Card Games. Which is a shame, since I play hearthstone.

4) Xcom seems like wading in to the deep end right from the start. Is it an optimal choice for someone who has never played turn based video game strategies?

5) She liked but did not love Dragon Age 1.

If these seem like criticisms, don't take them that way. I'm just responding to suggestions to better help you guys help me. What is half minute hero about? I'll wiki it.

If she liked Portal she might like Q.U.B.E. She may like Faster than Light, Starbound, To The Moon, Steings gate, The Swapper, Psychonauts, Cubeworld, Trove, Bastion, The Binding of Isaac.

Here is a list of Detective Games and Games like <insert name>

Not enough people recommend Dawn Of War 2 (which unless we get some sega miracle patch love is about to only be one available title when GFWL expires).

It's three games in one.

You have a single player diablo-with-a-party loot game
You have a more traditional competitive RTS
You have a co-operative persistent hero oriented horde mode

I've sunk hours and hours into this one, its great.

mkenyon

Banned
It'd be neat to do a voting system for "must buy PC games" similar to the GOTY thread. I've never been involved in one of those. How do we do this?

Have it like top 10 per genre to have it approachable. Something like:

RPG

Strategy

Action/FPS

Competitive/Multiplayer

Classics (Everything pre-2002ish?)

None of the Above

Abounder

Banned
BroForce - retro sidescroller that's a ton of fun

375px-Broforce_miniboss_animated.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1DTgY1hqKw

DocSeuss

It'd be neat to do a voting system for "must buy PC games" similar to the GOTY thread. I've never been involved in one of those. How do we do this?

Have it like top 10 per genre to have it approachable. Something like:

RPG

Strategy

Action/FPS

Competitive/Multiplayer

Classics (Everything pre-2002ish?)

None of the Above

I'd be up for doing one of these as well. But I still feel like it would only be the games mentioned in the OP as "stuff that always gets mentioned ALL THE TIME and also I don't actually enjoy most of them."

Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon

I would say that the entire Far Cry series is much better on PC, although I haven't tried that Far Cry 1 remake they recently released on consoles. Far Cry 2's console versions have a horrible aim acceleration mechanic and you can't save anywhere like you can on PC. Far Cry 3 and BD's framerates are absolute ass and look significantly worse on consoles.

Just keep in mind that Far Cry 1 is a linear FPS, the rest are open world games. The entire series is actually a bit weird, each of them feels like they shouldn't belong in the same series at all.

Grayman

Can anyone recommend some games for my new girlfriend? She's a lifelong console gamer (and particularly handheld gamer) who has avoided PCs mostly through necessity; she's only owned laptops.

Well, now she has a desktop PC. A good one, that can run Crysis on high, just for measurement's sake. I also think she has a taste that lends itself fairly well to PC gaming. Some of her favorite games:

Animal Crossing
Legend of Zelda:OoT
Pokémon Soul Silver

Recent favorites:

Ace Attorney series
Professor Layton
Mass Effect

She is also a dedicated board gamer. Some of her favorites:

Agricola
Glass Road
Worker placement and econ games of all types

She does not like random loot drop games, generally, which means no games like Diablo or RPGs like DarkSouls. She has already expressed interest in Telltalle games' series. She likes puzzle and strategy, but hasn't played a lot of turn based strategy to have a strong sense of whether her board game preferences translate to video games.

Any advice would be appreciated.
This seems like the right way to ask the question at the start of the thread.

Depending on what she liked about Mass Effect that could lead her down the rabbit whole of all CRPGs or at least to Bioware's other games KOTOR and later. Alpha Protocol is what I would suggest to someone more experienced but if she enjoyed how the shooting felt in Mass Effect AP may not be up to that bar of a smoothly polished seventh console generation game.

It looks like she would be into adventure games so she could start with some of telltales then branch from there. If she likes the walking dead or back to the future but then wants a game with more puzzles or to visit more areas then I could recommend some of Lucas Art's old games more strongly.

Seanspeed

Banned
It's like some of you don't even read the OP. :mad:
To be fair, Dark Souls 1/2 on the PC is so god damn improved over the console versions that it merits recommending, I think. The series is so precision combat-driven that playing it in 60fps feels like a new experience, and in 1080p+, its like seeing it for the first time.

Really has to be played to be believed.

Borderlands 2 is also greatly improved, but perhaps to a slightly lesser degree. Its gorgeous and feels better, but I probably wouldn't describe it as a whole new thing. So I would agree leaving it out.

Sentenza

Steam seems to have removed Space Rangers 2: Reboot from the store (the one I have and the one you're probably referring to?) and replaced it with a Space Rangers HD instead.)
It doesn't really matter. It's the same game with additional content and support for higher resolution.

4) Xcom seems like wading in to the deep end right from the start. Is it an optimal choice for someone who has never played turn based video game strategies?
Absolutely.
if anything, one of the things I liked the least about it is precisely how simplified and "newbie-friendly" they made it, with a managerial part that feels barely drafted compared to the original X-Com (UFO).
But at its core the game is quite fun, reasonably pretty to look at and it has a lot of customization options for your squad.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Can anyone recommend some games for my new girlfriend? She's a lifelong console gamer (and particularly handheld gamer) who has avoided PCs mostly through necessity; she's only owned laptops.

Any advice would be appreciated.

The Sims 2
Black and White
I Have no Mouth and i must scream

DocSeuss

It doesn't really matter. It's the same game with additional content and support for higher resolution.

On my Wishlist now.

Absolutely.
if anything, one of the things I liked the least about it is precisely how simplified and "newbie-friendly" they made it, with a managerial part that feels barely drafted compared to the original X-Com (UFO).
But at its core the game is quite fun, reasonably pretty to look at and it has a lot of customization options for your squad.

Totally in agreement with this. I don't like turn-based games generally, other than some 4X, but XCOM makes it ridiculously approachable, and if you find it too easy, you can totally make it harder.

When someone searches neogaf "I'm new to PC games..." It would be nice if the suggestions weren't just tailored to you.

The whole point of this thread was to recommend games other than the ones that always get recommended. In literally every other thread like this, those games get mentioned, which means other games get ignored. I wanted to create a thread explicitly for the games that don't get the limelight 'cause those games hog it.

If someone goes and creates a thread on, say, "CRPGs you should try," and someone mentions a JRPG instead... well, that's nice and all, but it's literally not the point of the thread. Just because "well, people should PLAY it" or whatever doesn't mean they need it in this thread.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Can anyone recommend some games for my new girlfriend?
Probably because I've been playing it recently, but Bastion, I think, would be a good choice. Isometric action RPG without the loot dropping of bigger RPGs (enemies drop money, and items you collect include health potions and mementos. Nothing too complex). It has a compelling story that unfolds over the course of the game, and you can shape your playstyle based on weapon/power combinations. It has great art design, voice acting, and music, so it's a good A/V experience as well.

EDIT: Just to clarify, there are other items you collect. The two I listed are just examples.

Serious Sam series. I guess they technically exist on consoles, but I can't imagine how it even works. It's an alternative take on the old school shooter, where the challenge is not in navigating a maze but rather using an insanely powerful arsenal of weapons to effectively crowd control an unfair amount of enemies. It's a game that is purely about mastering a very specific skill set, but that is kind of the only type of games I play.

Luftrausers. Probably the best small arcade type game I played this year. Fly a small plane and fight against hundreds of enemies in a faux-ww2 setting. The controls are some of the most satisfying ever.

Race the sun Another small simple game. You need to race a solar powered aircraft towards the setting sun while avoiding obstacles. There is new randomly generated map every day and a global high score that resets along with it.

Settlers II (ten year anniversary edition) You might think Settlers II is a civilization building game where you conquer your enemies. It is not. It is a game where you transport goods in the most efficient manner so that you can make soldiers, beer and gold faster than your enemy. And that somehow wins wars.The tempo is zen like, but you need to think a hundred steps ahead not to be caught in a logistical nightmare where it takes hours for a bucket of water to get to the baker to make bread for the miners who need it to mine coal for the iron smelter who needs it to make steel for the armory who needs it to make sword for a soldier who you need to man the guardhouse to expand the territory so you can make a farm that will produce grain for your bakery.

Opiate

Just so people know, these are the games on my list so far:

The Wolf Among Us
The Walking Dead
Broken Sword 1/2 (Added because of this thread)
Half Minute Hero (Added because of this thread)
XCom (Added because of this thread)
Vampire: Bloodlines (Added because of this thread)
To the Moon (Added because of this thread)
Tropico 4
Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale (Added because of this thread)
Bastion (Added because of this thread)

Hopefully that gives you further idea what I'm aiming for here.

Orayn

I recently helped a friend build his first gaming PC, and he found himself completely enthralled by Arma III when he picked it up after playing it for a free weekend. It struck me as a real surprise coming from a guy who still buys CoD every year, but it seems like certain "advanced" games and genres just resonate with people even if they weren't really exposed to them at all beforehand.

I've had similar experiences with friends who've fallen head over heels for Total War, Mount & Blade, and even Dota despite having played almost exclusively console games before building their first gaming PC.

mkenyon

Banned
Not that odd. It's something totally different. "Wait, I can have all this agency? The game isn't telling me exactly where to go?"

Having that moment when you realize you can take any one of a near infinite number of actions, and seeing all those systems and knowing you have zero idea how they all work together is everything I love the most about video games. Feels like you're being dumped into a whole new reality.

I'm just gonna recommend some more recent indies that aren't on consoles:

FTL
Rogue Legacy
Jazzpunk
Gunpoint
The Stanley Parable
Gone Home
Papers, Please
Kentucky Route Zero
Antichamber
The Swapper

Again, this is assuming you have all the consoles and have played gems like Mark of the Ninja, Fez, Limbo, Super Meat Boy, Spelunky, etc.

dracula_x

I highly recommend these games:

Heroes of Might and Magic III and Jagged Alliance 2. Still the best even after 15 years.

Orayn

Not that odd. It's something totally different. "Wait, I can have all this agency? The game isn't telling me exactly where to go?"

Having that moment when you realize you can take any one of a near infinite number of actions, and seeing all those systems and knowing you have zero idea how they all work together is everything I love the most about video games. Feels like you're being dumped into a whole new reality.

Yeah, I can definitely see this angle of it. Still makes me reconsider the overlap between "casual" and "hardcore," since some people seem to be able to compartmentalize their interests very cleanly without needing to fit into a mold of only playing cerebral genres or only being interested in high budget blockbusters.

This is what the friend said he liked about Arma, by the way.

"despite Arma3 being very slow pace I love playing the Coop match, Even though the Firefights are never Close Range like Battlefield"

"hell half the time i cant barely see the targets im hitting at. But there is something about people telling you form a line or Laying Down a Orange Smoke for a Exfil"

"like today after before getting out of a Transport Heli my squad leader told us to form a 360 around the helicopter"

"There is just something so neat about that if you get what im saying"

"as opposed to one recon guy taking a a transport heli to a fucking Tall building in BF4"

Watching someone take to a new genre like a fish to water is pretty cool.

The Wolf Among Us
The Walking Dead
Tropico 4

Someone else mentioned Alpha Protocol, I'd second that.

KingFire

Banned
Those recommendations are more suited for veterans who got bored of the latest console ports and want something more interesting.

I would never recommend STALKER to a new/returning PC gamer. I have done it before and many people simply hated it.

injurai

Banned
The whole point of this thread was to recommend games other than the ones that always get recommended. In literally every other thread like this, those games get mentioned, which means other games get ignored. I wanted to create a thread explicitly for the games that don't get the limelight 'cause those games hog it.

If someone goes and creates a thread on, say, "CRPGs you should try," and someone mentions a JRPG instead... well, that's nice and all, but it's literally not the point of the thread. Just because "well, people should PLAY it" or whatever doesn't mean they need it in this thread.

Well the title never set that up, and I did attempt to read the OP albeit skimming. Still being primarily a PC gamer I see 85% of all recommendations on par with the ones you singled out as being over recommended.

black and white 1&2.
the second game is more of an rts with a creature, but the first one is truly unique, and another contender of a sit back and relax game op mentioned with tropico4, which i also enjoy.

to the moon.
im not sure if this is on consoles or not, but its well worth the money since its pretty cheap. 4 hours of pure emotion.

monkey island games.
i know this is one of those games everyone and their mother recommends but if u want a feelgood game with good humor, u cant pass these.

soul reaver and legacy of kain series.
these might not be for everyone, as they are action games but if u like gothic atmosphere, give these a chance.

hitman series.
this is also on consoles but the games were designed for keyboard/mouse so play these on ur pc. slow paced stealth games.

no one lives forever.
this game gives me the biggest nostalgia boner gaming wise. its a story driven, 60s espionage fps stealth game. might get archer wibes.

medal of honor, allied assault.
gaming was fixated on ww2 for about a decade before modern warfare, if you skipped it all this is the game you should play.

commandos series.
it a steath strategy series. there are not many games in this genre, if u like it check out desperados and robin hood too.

max payne 1 and 2.
also on consoles. also better with keyboard/mouse.

carmageddon.
might be a little aged for some ppl. its a fun car/mayhem game

papers please.
again, everybody is going to recommend this one. but if theres any game that deserves that, its this one.

simcity4 and cities xl (whichever one is the latest)
city building/management games. skip the last simcity, but it sold well and theyre porlly gonna make another one, so lets hope that one will be better.

rollercoster/zoo tycoon + theme park/hospital.
more management games, if u like it there are alot of alternatives on steam.

Orayn

Those recommendations are more suited for veterans who got bored of the latest console ports and want something more interesting.

I would never recommend STALKER to a new/returning PC gamer. I have done it before and many people simply hated it.

I dunno, what you're saying might apply to really technical games like grand strategy series from Paradox, but some people will really take to intimidating games just because they're new, different, and exciting. They don't even need to be tired of their console favorites in my experience.

haveheart

Banned
no order at all, just some of my favs:

- gothic 2 (my goat)
- the swapper
- to the moon (feels)
- half life series
- warcraft 3 FT
- natural selection 2
- daedalic adventures
- titan quest (better than any diablo imho)
- pirates!
- Swat 3/4

mkenyon

Banned
I dunno, what you're saying might apply to really technical games like grand strategy series from Paradox, but some people will really take to intimidating games just because they're new, different, and exciting. They don't even need to be tired of their console favorites in my experience.
Pretty much. The games that made me a total gaming hobbyist were X-Com: Terror from the Deep, Civ 2, Privateer, and a very complex MUD. I was 12 when I started playing those, and they're far less approachable than most of the complicated games from today.

The Wolf Among Us
The Walking Dead
Tropico 4

Already a really solid list here but here's some more! Because decisions are always easier with more options!

Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes
brilliantly designed puzzle RPG by Capybara. No loot systems, anime aesthetic that she might like, and has a DS version if she feels more at home on handhelds but the PC port is still solid.

Costume Quest
Probably Doublefine's most charming game. It might be a little mechanically light for her but if she's considering the walking dead or the wolf among us then I don't think it'll be a problem.

Dungeon Keeper
Something for her management and economy fix that doesn't go overboard. I feel like the marathon sessions that the civ games tend to have kind of clash with the pacing that handhelds tend to provide. Also has a silliness to it that she might like compared to how dry most games in the genre are.

Kairosoft games
They're not on PC but these games are probably the most addicting management games ever made. I've only played two of these though so I'm not sure which of them are the best fit for her. I'm sure someone on GAF can point her in the right direction if she's interested though.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Agreed on the Civ 5 + expansions recommendation for Opiate. Very beginner friendly, should work well for someone who likes boardgames.

Authority

Banned
At OP, you seriously need to add Metro franchise. I hate FPS (apart from Dishonored; sold on Shadow Warrior) and especially shooters, even more shooters with horror stuff but Metro gives you a surreal experience. And fuck opinions. Just try it and see for your self; no other shooter apart maybe from Bioshock; which I had to skip because it was just too nuts for me to handle, can you give this human quality of feelings. And I am talking about Silent-Hill-type-of-quality-feelings not your standard "horror" ones.

Top Bottom