• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is PC the best gaming platform this generation?

dcx4610

It's expensive but it's the best bang for your buck if you want access to the most games and it seems to only be getting better with Sony and Microsoft moving more of their titles over. I just wish the prices would go down a bit. $2000 for a GPU (granted the best) is still ridiculous. That was the price for an entire build not too long ago.

MiguelItUp

It's just a personal preference. Whatever is preferred in a person's eyes is "best" for them. For me personally, PC has been great for the last 20 years. I've always been a multi-tasker, and I've loved a lot of "PC only" games, etc. The only thing that's changed are my desires to own every console as well. It feels like it's becoming less and less of a thing for me.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Not for me. Way too many technical issues, which I'd argue have gotten much worse in the last 5-7 years, and the stuff I'm interested in playing (ie: not Western AAAs) don't tend to have any real advantages over their console counterparts. Doubly so since I don't care about mods. I mostly just use it for the occasional game like Ion Fury, Prodeus, or Age of Wonders 4 that play way better on kb&m.

GametimeUK

It's been a rocky ride. I preferred consoles for a while this gen. The price to performance at launch was incredible. Now they're starting to show their age a little bit.

It's just a shame so many games released with stutter this generation on PC, but luckily a chunk of great games have been fixed.

PC takes the crown, but consoles have been fucking amazing this generation. Its handy to have them around for stutter fest games like Dead Space Remake.

I'd rather have a console and be sure games play on day one instead of stressing if i have a graphic card than will have troubles / bugs with a new game that just came out thank you very much.

I'd also rather buy a new gaming device each 5 or 6 years instead of upgrading multiple parts of my computer.

Fredrik

$2000 for a GPU (granted the best) is still ridiculous. That was the price for an entire build not too long ago.
Yeah no exaggeration.
I got my graphics card for $2500. Whole build was over $5000.
First build in 2014 with a screen included was $2500.

I game on console , I don’t care about resolution, Framerates, Graphics or Mods.

I’m okay with the games that ship on console . I don’t sit here and argue about framerates I’ll leave that to you guys I’ll just read .

simpatico

All we have is PC and Nintendo now. Sony just releases a few games that are hardware tied to their version of the AMD APU gaming laptop.

hinch7

Most bad ports are fixed after a few months anyway.
Eh, I don't wait months to play a game I bought. And just replayed FF7R/Intergrade and there's still awful stutters in busy areas and later sections of the game, despite all the updates (play in 120fps, capped). Some devs just don't bother fixing their games.

Its an issue for sure but not enough to pull me off it. Unless its totally broken.. At least its considerably better than whatever consoles experience is.

Last edited:

chixdiggit

Pff, not at all. Which exclusives?

Steam has been averaging around 10,000 releases annually the last few years. Ps5 has a little over 600 releases over it's entire lifetime to date.
I'm not saying all of Steams 50,000+ games are all killer exclusives but it's easy to imagine that some people would find it's the only place to play some of their favorite games.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
not-for-me-mate-not-for-me.gif

I’m more than happy with my PS5 and Switch and…….

Vanillaware-Logo.jpg

Hugare

Steam has been averaging around 10,000 releases annually the last few years. Ps5 has a little over 600 releases over it's entire lifetime to date.
I'm not saying all of Steams 50,000+ games are all killer exclusives but it's easy to imagine that some people would find it's the only place to play some of their favorite games.
The only platform that has Sex with Hitler 1 and 2

Most of the stuff on Steam that arent available on other platforms are passable at best, borderline criminal at worst

RoadHazard

Gold Member
With all the stutter fests released in the last few years, nah. I'd rather have a smooth experience (which you generally do get on console) at a lower resolution.

Guilty_AI

Pff, not at all. Which exclusives?
A myriad of shooters and immersive sims for starters, like DUSK, AMID EVIL, HROT, Ultrakill, Ctrl Alt Ego, System Shock remake, etc. Some great rpgs like Kenshi, Mount&Blade, Grim Dawn (has a xbox version but its severely outdated), Enderal, Archolos, etc. Many other ones like Avorion, Factorio, Satisfactory, Beamng, Distance, Euro Truck Simulator 2, Spark the eletric jester 2&3, Pseudoregalia, Cruelty Squad, etc.

I know you'd probably just try to dismiss them with phrases like "Only AAA count!" or "Never heard of any of them!", but i guarantee you some players would gladly exchange the entire ps4/5 catalogue for some of these titles.

Last edited:
No. I like console and PC gaming equally. They both have their strengths and weaknesses and someone that has been gaming on PC and consoles for most of my life I can truly say I appreciate both platforms for what they are.

There are times I wanna mod the crap out of my games or play games at the best settings and that’s where my PC comes in. Other times I want to have a relaxed time chilling and I pick my PS5 for those moments. I honestly don’t know why console/PC wars exist, it’s always been silly to me. Both console and PC gaming offer different things and they cater to different tastes in gaming. Luckily for me I can appreciate what they both offer.

No. I like console and PC gaming equally. They both have their strengths and weaknesses and someone that has been gaming on PC and consoles for most of my life I can truly say I appreciate both platforms for what they are.

There are times I wanna mod the crap out of my games or play games at the best settings and that’s where my PC comes in. Other times I want to have a relaxed time chilling and I pick my PS5 for those moments. I honestly don’t know why console/PC wars exist, it’s always been silly to me. Both console and PC gaming offer different things and they cater to different tastes in gaming. Luckily for me I can appreciate what they both offer.
The wars exist because poor people are angry they can't afford both.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Lower resolution
Lower frame rate
Lower texture
Lower ray tracing if any
Lower chances of free automatic upgrade as soon as you upgrade your hardware like all PC gsmes do.

On the higher side,

Higher price compared to the PC version
Higher cost if it's an online game since u have to pay to play online ( lol what a joke this is in 2024 )

Yeah, but as long as it's a generally consistent 60 (which most games still manage this generation) I'll take that over massive stutters every time. That stuff really ruins the experience. I'll even take a consistent 30 over that.

MikeM

Lower resolution
Lower frame rate
Lower texture
Lower ray tracing if any
Lower chances of free automatic upgrade as soon as you upgrade your hardware like all PC gsmes do.

On the higher side,

Higher price compared to the PC version
Higher cost if it's an online game since u have to pay to play online ( lol what a joke this is in 2024 )

I'll take a slight stutter that can be fixed with a patch or community in case Devs were lazy. At least I can control how to mod my game.

Just say you are broke and u can't afford PC. Or you hate PC or you have invested so much money on consoles and you don't want to change. It makes it easier for everyone instead of this sad excuse you just used.
Meh. I know plenty of people with lots of money that don’t care for PC gaming. All my friends are on console but i’m the only loser with a gaming PC as well.

chixdiggit

Man, if quantity is better than quality, we might as well call cellphones the platform with the better exclusives. 'Cause some people may find Candy Crush to be the best game ever.

So we shouldnt look from that perspective, imo.
Never said that either. Just pointing out that with such a vast catalog, it's not hard to imagine that some will prefer the games they can only find on PC.
I personally love strategy games for example. PC is obviously my go to platform.

Brute

I own two gaming laptops, one is extremely powerful. I also own a Switch, PS5 and Series X.

I do a shit ton of retro gaming (emulation) on PC. But for modern gaming, always console. I find that games these days are always shoddy or rather poorly optimised for PC, especially around release. And I find myself spending more time messing around with settings than actually playing the game.

On the other hand, I turn my console on and just play the game.

More doesn’t mean better. My Steam library has 3 times more games than my PS library. But they aren’t necessarily better games on PC.

To answer the question: no. I would say Switch or PS5 is the best way to play games if you’re simply after really good video games and don’t care about frame rates and the like.

Plus, PC gamers are cringe lords.

Last edited:

_Justinian_

Gold Member
All games began on a PC. And to PC, eventually all games will return. :messenger_sunglasses:

On a more serious note, PC will always be my preferred and best platform because of the virtually unlimited gaming options available to me. I don't mind waiting for ports or long enough to emulate games in rare instances for a console exclusive (which is basically just Nintendo at this point).

TxKnight7

Not for me. I have too many cons. Multiple store fronts, small monitor, the fact that you have to play using keyboard and mouse you need to be seated at a desk, game crashes because there aren't two PCs alike, PC is not suited for multiple users, high hardware prices, system resources wasted by the SO and so on, and so on...
So, no, for me, PC is not the best platform in this or any other generation and never will be. I like simplicity and a console can't be matched in that regard.
Games crash even on consoles, and you don't have to be seated at a desk i can use my PC just like consoles i am actually playing with the ps5 controller DS5 on 60 inch TV.

Nah. Can't stand being near a PC for anything related to "fun".
PC is only for professional tasks. I do my gaming anywhere else but on PC.

That's something that changed with the years. When I was a teenager, I was a PC Gaming enthusiast (even though, as it's true for many on PC, I spent most of my time talking about games instead of playing them). I play much more now that I'm gaming on consoles.

Last edited:

SHA

I don't know what this means, get the most out of it? Buying every possible game?
Even if I bought a ps5 +10 ps5 games at full price, I'd still be out much less money than just the pc; I don't even own 10 games on my switch.
And sales on console are pretty good and frequent nowadays, at least on xbox I see sales almost all the time when I boot up the console, and I make use of them, so at sale prices I could probably double the number of games and still not hit the price of a pc with no games.
PC gamers buy hundreds"look on YouTube", just do that on consoles, if you could afford that amount you'd rather look at the latest games, it's pointless to buy older games with that amount. 10 isn't a lot, even 30 divided into 3 consoles isn't a lot, on pc, you beat those 30 games very smoothly with mouse and keyboard.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
PC gamers buy hundreds"look on YouTube", just do that on consoles, if you could afford that amount you'd rather look at the latest games, it's pointless to buy older games with that amount. 10 isn't a lot, even 30 divided into 3 consoles isn't a lot, on pc, you beat those 30 games very smoothly with mouse and keyboard.
I'm not sure what you are saying, but I'm happy for you?

I bought a gaming PC in 2021 and gave it a serious try. Between being forced to buy digital games (gross) and issues like micro-stutter, I eventually went back to console.

Buggy Loop

Yes, thankfully there's quantity and quality to be found there.

Honestly, my wishlist on PC is now mainly retro shooters / pixel art / indies. They're so good.

There's basically a new upcoming games for all the classics I loved.

Gloomwood - Thief
Selaco - FEAR
Core decay - Deus Ex
Compound Fracture - Dino Crysis
Fortune's run - Crazy as fuck immersive sim in space with aliens and deep combat system
Death Trash - Fallout
Agent 64 : Spies Never Die - Goldeneye

Completely hidden immersive sims (does it show I like the genre?) like Ctrl Alt Ego (best immersive sim ever? top tier list). This game has crazy mechanics, systems on systems stacking together, coming together to make almost nothing impossible.

and Cruelty Squad, insane looking game that is again S-tier immersive sim

I'm basically playing sims and these new wave of retro games by indies. I'm straying further and further away from "Quadruple A".

bender

What time is it?
Honestly, my wishlist on PC is now mainly retro shooters / pixel art / indies. They're so good.

Gloomwood - Thief
Selaco - FEAR
Core decay - Deus Ex
Fortune's run - Crazy as fuck immersive sim in space with aliens and deep combat system
Death Trash - Fallout

Completely hidden immersive sims (does it show I like the genre?) like Ctrl Alt Ego (best immersive sim ever? top tier list). This game has crazy mechanics, systems on systems stacking together, coming together to make almost nothing impossible.

I'm basically playing sims and these new wave of retro games by indies. I'm straying further and further away from "Quadruple A".

Check out Black Parade if you haven't.

Guilty_AI

Gloomwood - Thief
Selaco - FEAR
Core decay - Deus Ex
Death Trash - Fallout

Check HROT if you were into DUSK.

Also, for immersive sims there's Blood West (a bit of a different take but close enough) and Weird West (isometric camera, but game included a first person mod in one update).

Terenty

Every console of every generation is at my fingertips with emulators. You can literally play anything you want on your PC nowadays, why even ask

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
I mean, we are getting ports, but all the worse ports(bar switch)!

Last year alone we had disappoinment after disappointment. Botched last of us. Botched the last Jedi. Even starfield could do better. Hell, we couldn't go one month without some UE5 release suffering because of no pre compiled shaders. I think we had it better on the 8th generation.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I dont understand why we keep getting this threads about "PC is best gaming platform"? If you are enjoying PC gaming then great but do we REALLY need multiple threads about this?

It feels like those crazy religious group that are desperately trying recruit more people to their cult.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
damn right walter white GIF by Breaking Bad

Most current gen releases require fidelity or performance compromises on the gimped curent gen consoles.
Not a big fan of modes. I use them but it’s always a choice of loss. Not choice of gain. And I play on console to not do that.
On other hand, 40 is good and vrr is good.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
They may not be widely known issues but i bet if you go to ANY pc games forum you'll see "how to fix stutters". They never make a perfectly running game across all types of graphics cards and PC set ups. That's just a fact.
Of course. This is a fact. Go to steam forums of any game or pcgamingwiki.
If you have a good pc some issues are ignorable. But I still feel like an idiot for picking pc version of a game and spending more time in settings trying to find which setting is crashing the game.
But it will always be like this. Hardware is so different

Top Bottom