• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In other news.... VictimofGrief sells his Xbox 360 but gains a new PC.

For those of you thinking because of this thread, see here :
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=273512

But really, not really for that above link
:lol

For those interested in my PC setup :
GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX All Solid Capacitor Intel Motherboard Rev 2.0
OCZ StealthXStream OCZ600SXS ATX12V / EPS12V 600W Power Supply
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor
XFX PVT94PYDDU GeForce 9600GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card
A-DATA 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit
ASUS Black SATA DVD-ROM Drive Model DVD-E616A3T OEM
SAMSUNG 20X DVD±R DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-S203B
ZALMAN 9500A 92mm 2 Ball CPU Cooler
Microsoft Comfort Curve Black USB Wired Ergonomics Keyboard 2000

Hardware I already have :
LG 19" Widescreen Digital Monitor
Western Digital 74GB Raptor
Western Digital 250GB
Lian-Li PC-60 Case

All together I spent about $800 bucks or so for everything. Mind you I'm coming from a P4 3.2E w/ Hyper Threading and 8X AGP. I expect this thing to blow my old rig away.

So the Xbox 360. It's gone. I sold it to a friend for a pretty fair asking price for everything it came with. he got about $600 bucks off retail price for everything I had.

A couple of closing thoughts on the 360 and my enjoyment of it.

The Xbox 360 is an interesting culture talking point. People in general I think have heard the Xbox brand now, maybe not as far reaching as the PlayStation brand--- but you have to lend it to Sony, they did their homework for marketing. The primary reason I sold it was it wasn't getting the attention I used to give it. I had fallen on the way side of playing the current crop of games.... Call of Duty 4, Mass Effect... even giving Burnout Paradise another chance... (Shout out to TigerRiot on that one. :D ). However, the 360 still has a great life ahead of itself with Gears 2 coming, GTA4 out in a couple weeks and loads of media content.

Having played through Bioshock and just recently PGR4---- The Xbox 360 is just starting to hit it’s stride with a multitude of games and genres. Xbox Live is what is going to keep Microsoft in the gaming business for a LONG time to come. I would expect to see the brand “Live for Windows” continue to grow here in the future as it’s going to come down to “Live” Vs. Steam as far as digital distribution with gaming content. Additionally as they will probably come out with a new version of “Live” for the next Xbox planned here in the next couple of years. Many props to a system that is fairly well maintained and operational 95% of the time with some exceptions.

So why the shift to the PC? Functionality as well as gaming. Having been out of the “current” crop of games that have been available, I’m going to be able to make up for some of the games I’ve missed on the PC side as well as enhance the others I’ve been playing. (Namely Team Fortress 2) I’m excited to play Crysis (Finally)—Waiting for Fallout 3 and FarCry 2, along with playing Call of Duty 4 on Steam. Also looking forward to playing Unreal Tournament 3 with a proper rig. The argument of having a Keyboard and Mouse is very valid with many of the games that come to the consoles. I for one will still play Gears/Gears 2 (eventually) with a 360 pad but that’s just me.

Overall I think I’m just getting older and refining my processes and tastes. This isn’t meant to be a bailout thread or “sell xyz it’s all over” more of personal reflection on the fun I’ve had with the 360 over the past couple of years but moving forward, it’ll be exciting to see what happens with Microsoft’s next console and the continuing blending of the Xbox brand and Windows games.
I’ll be hitting some of you up for your SteamID’s and hopefully see you PC guys online.

VoG

enjoy crysis....its more than just the graphics. hell its fun booting up sandbox and blasting through the levels in different ways

RobertM

I don't really think it's the right time to get back to PC gaming, I really don't, but I guess if you haven't played older games there is an incentive.

Minsc

Gold Member
You might want to give RTS's another chance with a new PC. Already out that will look really pretty on a new machine you have Company of Heroes & Supreme Commander. Then due out in the next year or so Starcraft 2 (looks amazing), WH40K: Dawn of War 2 (looks amazing), and Red Alert 3.

TheExodu5

Banned
RobertM said:
I don't really think it's the right time to get back to PC gaming, I really don't, but I guess if you haven't played older games there is an incentive.

It's one of the best time in YEARS. Probably the best. You can finally get a rig capable of handling every game out there without breaking a sweat (except for Crysis, as always) for super cheap. What the hell are you talking about?

Minsc

Gold Member
TheExodu5 said:
It's one of the best time in YEARS. Probably the best. You can finally get a rig capable of handling every game out there without breaking a sweat (except for Crysis, as always) for super cheap. What the hell are you talking about?

Ignorance.

RobertM said:
Naw. Now is a great time to jump into the PC gaming fold again as the hardware is in a really great spot and is dirt cheap.

beat

Davidion said:
That's a nice price for a good setup.

Why do you have a DVD-rom AND a separate burner? :lol
I do too. It's like 20-30 bucks to save the hassle of copying a disc to an image on the HD.

If you don't mind missing out on stuff like Ninja Gaiden and Resident Evil 5 while waiting on stuff like GTA IV that's cool I guess. There's a lot of great stuff on the PC.

Minsc

Gold Member
No Means Nomad said:
If you don't mind missing out on stuff like Ninja Gaiden and Resident Evil 5 while waiting on stuff like GTA IV that's cool I guess. There's a lot of great stuff on the PC.

Why do you think RE5 won't make it to the PC? It's using the same engine as Lost Planet I thought, the one that's (in theory) optimized for porting to the 360, PS3 & PC.

This is the first one of these type of threads I've ever seen that wasn't full of console warz flamebait... So, even though it reads more like a blog entry than a forum post - good going and congrats on your new rig.

You can just play GTA4 when it comes out on the PC eventually like the other GTA games. It's not like it's a game you can really spoil by reading about it.

In the meantime get yourself a nice slice of some good strategy and indie PC gaming-it's the real differentiator between the hardcore console scene and the hardcore PC gamer scene, so it'll be pretty fresh and different coming off of the 360.

Fragamemnon said:
You can just play GTA4 when it comes out on the PC eventually like the other GTA games. It's not like it's a game you can really spoil by reading about it, lol.
I would agree. Plus, GTA4 while it is going to be huge game and going to sell 10 million copies, to me-- I'll get around to it when I can. The last one I played (San Andreas) was just so overwhelming in terms of content..... I just got lost in what to do. I can expect that I'll be in a larger sea with GTA4. :lol

Not a bad choice. Most 360 exclusive games make their way to PC. Although LIvE for Windows is looking to sour the deal.

I really need to upgrade my PC...gonna need a new MB, vid card, and Dual Core CPU...probably a new case...*sigh*

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
on thin ice VictimOfGrief
Forever Dumb
(Today, 02:58 PM)

Sorry to easy.

I'd never sell my 360 though, but I can understand why someone would. Like the Wii, it caters to a particular demographic.

GHG

I was considering doing this (even a similar build) but I think I'll be keeping my 360 rather than selling it for funds towards the PC. Reason? Recently I've been having a lot of fun with games like Lost Odyssey and PGR4. You can't get gaming experiences like that on the PC. So I'll have both thank you very much :D . Yeh I could have had the PC already if I sold it but I think I'll be patient and wait to save a bit more.

PC ETA = next month. Should be epic.

ICallItFutile said:
on thin ice VictimOfGrief
Forever Dumb
(Today, 02:58 PM)

Sorry to easy.

I'd never sell my 360 though, but I can understand why someone would. Like the Wii, it caters to a particular demographic.
:lol

Thanks man. ;-)

wotter

I'm interested in buying the same motherboard, got any experience you want to share? Any features, bugs, oc'ing stuff I need to know in advance?

wotter said:
I'm interested in buying the same motherboard, got any experience you want to share? Any features, bugs, oc'ing stuff I need to know in advance?
All of the reviews I've read on it both @ the Egg and others say that the board is EXTREMELY good for overclocking. Some of the reviews I found had the Q6600 running over 4.0GHz on air on the board easily.

No bugs that I know of, the board @ NewEgg is Rev 2.0 which works with the Wofldale chipsets--- HOWEVER, if you buy a Wolfdale chip, you will have to upgrade the BIOS of which I've heard you need an actual CPU that works on it first--- to be able to actually upgrade it. Of course there has to be ways around that by booting to a floppy and I'm sure that Gigabyte would offer that but just be cautious.

I've got the board at home right now and will be putting in the case tomorrow. Sleek and sexy as hell. Some may say that the 4 SATA-II ports is a bit sketch but honestly, I don't need anything more. Solid Caps is a huge plus and bang for the buck features is what sold me.

Haunted

I welcome you into the fold. Nice rig and it really is a great time to upgrade. Affordable hardware that can pretty much take everything you throw at it.

The overlap is very strong between the 360 and the PC, most 360 games ending up on PC eventually. Good choice you've made.

GHG

VictimOfGrief said:
All of the reviews I've read on it both @ the Egg and others say that the board is EXTREMELY good for overclocking. Some of the reviews I found had the Q6600 running over 4.0GHz on air on the board easily.

No bugs that I know of, the board @ NewEgg is Rev 2.0 which works with the Wofldale chipsets--- HOWEVER, if you buy a Wolfdale chip, you will have to upgrade the BIOS of which I've heard you need an actual CPU that works on it first--- to be able to actually upgrade it. Of course there has to be ways around that by booting to a floppy and I'm sure that Gigabyte would offer that but just be cautious.

I've got the board at home right now and will be putting in the case tomorrow. Sleek and sexy as hell. Some may say that the 4 SATA-II ports is a bit sketch but honestly, I don't need anything more. Solid Caps is a huge plus and bang for the buck features is what sold me.

o_O Say what?

Fragamemnon said:
You can just play GTA4 when it comes out on the PC eventually like the other GTA games. It's not like it's a game you can really spoil by reading about it.

In the meantime get yourself a nice slice of some good strategy and indie PC gaming-it's the real differentiator between the hardcore console scene and the hardcore PC gamer scene, so it'll be pretty fresh and different coming off of the 360.
A port confirmation would be enough for me, come on R* throw me a freaking bone here

Davidion

GHG said:
o_O Say what?

That's impressive, but not impossible, methinks. My E6750 goes from 2.66 to 3.6 on air, though the 6600 has lots of room to make up, I can see it being feasible if the circumstances are right.

edit: SHIT, that board's only $90 retail? Talk about a good price.

Prime crotch said:
A port confirmation would be enough for me, come on R* throw me a freaking bone here

It's like Mass Effect-you knew it was going to happen, just a matter of them fessing up to exactly when it will happen.

VictimOfGrief said:

That is false. You can boot up just fine with a Wolfdale to update the bios. Just put the bios on a usb key or a floppy and use the motherboard bios update utility.

Top Bottom