• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indiana Jones by MachineGames Officially Revealed - Coming in 2024 | Xbox Direct 2024

Watched it a second time and...got weird Peter Jacksons King Kong The Video Game (2005) vibes

Also I heard the Wilhelm Scream

Apparently the lead designer behind Butcher Bay and The Darkness is behind this one too
Peter Jacksons King Kong The Video Game is awesome. The more I think about that game, the more excited I am for this one.

Also, thinking back, the first-person James Bond games had better gameplay. Bond is what sells those games and this will likely be no different for Indiana Jones.

Last edited:

BlackTron

Gold Member
Here's one of the most recognizable characters on the planet, now look at his hands for the entirety of your playtime.

I wish I wrote this post before the reveal, but I will now. I predicted it would be first person just because it's Machine Games, and MS doesn't really make cogent choices. No one at Xbox leadership would say something as obvious "we have the most recognizable character, you should be able to see you're playing as them" and then either tell the studio what to do or find one that can. They would just say "let them do what they want" and facilitate blowing tons of resources. Then close the studio LOL

mortal

Have you not seen Raiders or Temple of Doom? I mean, those characters weren't really educated adventurers, but I don't think a female adventurer is too far fetched.
So is there only one way to write a female character in Indiana Jones? So because it was in other stories it must be here like checkbox? Can't she admire or respect him while also having agency of her own?

dem

Yes, even in an Indiana Jones story.

This sort of writing is pervasive, maybe 20 years ago that dynamic was interesting but when so much of today's media is filled with these sorts of characters it becomes exhausting and predictable.

Oh get over it you fucking snowflake

A strong female character in indiana jones... who would have guessed!

place nobody GIF

I don't understand why they couldn't find a voice actor to match Harrison Ford's voice. Animated TV shows swap actors all the time without the audience even realizing. It seems like such a missed opportunity

Last edited:

Killer8

The whip controls would suck in third person, also we have enough examples of games like Butcher Bay, Robocop etc where you have no loss in immersion of 'feeling' of embodying a character because it's third person.

Batman is a brawler where you need to have constant situational awareness for combat, having that in first person would be a different thing compared to this.

I would argue that the only reason the RoboCop game works in first-person is because a significant part of the movie is shown from Murphy's own perspective:

CzBfklB.png

y8IPjki.jpg

tvn41gwuhf4b1.gif

So it was the movie that set the precedent for a first-person view being used as part of the storytelling - not the developer deciding to just use it out the blue. The developers just capitalized on something already present (and pulled it off extremely well thanks to their UI design). It's a rare example where using a third person view would actually be the worse option.

Last edited:

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Lol@everyone whining "1st person, I'm out!"...

Fucksakes the game isn't even out and yes, 1st person sucks balls, narratively driven adventure games should be 3rd person, this looks all wrong but you know what it looks like an indy game, graphics looks great, some world hopping going on so who knows maybe it'll be great but I for one won't be playing it cause it's an Xbox exclusive ffs

BlackTron

Gold Member
Peter Jacksons King Kong The Video Game is awesome. The more I think about this game, the more excited I am for this one.

Also, thinking back, the first-person James Bond games had better gameplay.

007 was a FPS, and Goldeneye happened when characters looked terrible, especially human ones. This isn't a first person shooter. It's an adventure game being made by a FPS developer.

SirTerry-T

Looks great. The Devs know what they are doing and what the expectations are.

The easiest thing for them to do would have been to do another Emperor's Tomb or Infernal Machine...both games that existed a good few years before ND's "Indy" games.

The fact they want to put their spin on it at least means we will be getting something other than another third person adventure with a fancy license thrown on top.

The whole atmosphere of the stuff shown screams Indiana Jones.

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Peter Jacksons King Kong The Video Game is awesome. The more I think about this game, the more excited I am for this one.

Also, thinking back, the first-person James Bond games had better gameplay.

Funny enough I just checked Amazon to see used prices for a 360 copy of Kong and jesus christ at the prices

This game used to be found used for literally a couple bucks at GameStop :pie_open_mouth:

mortal

Oh get over it you fucking snowflake

A strong female character in indiana jones... who would have guessed!

place nobody GIF
lol oh come on, dude.

How am I a snowflake because I've grown tired of certain character dynamics? I've gone on record in multiple threads defending TLOU games and their character writing.

DanielG165

Indy looks like a lot of fun, man. Hopefully MachineGames sticks the 2024 landing, because I’m definitely interested in picking this up come release. They look like they’re doing the character, the world, and the IP as a whole proud, unlike that last abomination of a film. Indiana Jones as a franchise is also a huge get for Xbox.

MiguelItUp

So is there only one way to write a female character in Indiana Jones? So because it was in other stories it must be here like checkbox? Can't she admire or respect him while also having agency of her own?
Of course not, because this character isn't exactly like those characters. They just all had varying personalities that Indy kind of butted heads with. On that same note, why does she half to? Does it suddenly create an issue that she doesn't? I mean, I don't see why it's such an issue personally. But to each their own.

For me, I trust Machinegames. Especially with how some of their staff worked on titles like Butcher Bay and The Darkness, which still stick with me today. I can't guarantee it will be amazing, but I hope it will, and don't feel too concerned about it. At least not yet.

• Fire
Reactions: Isa

DJ12

I don't understand why they couldn't find a voice actor to match Harrison Ford's voice. Animated TV shows swap actors all the time without the audience even realizing. It seems like such a missed opportunity
exactly, if they couldn't get Ford to do it, Hamill does a mean impression and he'll do anything.

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
lol oh come on, dude.

How am I a snowflake because I've grown tired of certain character dynamics? I've gone on record in multiple threads defending TLOU games and their character writing.
People tend to ignore the fact that the same plot point basically ruined The Dial of Destiny.

I'm sitll optimistic but I'd lie if I say that I vibe with the janky 1st/3rd person hybrid in this particular franchise.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Did either of you read anything I said?

Yes, there is third-person, but if it's minimized to cut-scenes and certain traversal actions, you don't get the same reinforcement that you're playing as the character as seeing them on screen at all times. The developers give the rationale that first person is more immersive - but I think that, paradoxically, not seeing the silhouette of the character at all times actually does far more to lessen immersion.

If I see Spider-Man on screen, it is concrete that I am playing as Spider-Man:

UhX3Sjg.jpg

You can take almost any screenshot from the game and immediately know. Hell, I even used a screenshot of a random old Spider-Man game to illustrate that the point applies across games, even.

Similarly I can do this with Batman:

RKEBs1n.jpg

Now I look at moment-to-moment gameplay from Indy (ie. what a huge amount of the game will look like because of muh first person immersion):

4munt6R.png

QVUSc9f.png

XoYow9I.png

FENlTlV.png

IsYKRXt.png

What are we looking at here? The new Elder Scrolls? The new Wolfenstein? A WW2 COD game? Some puzzle solving walking sim? A UE5 tech demo showing off a jungle? Without the silhouette the game loses its identity, which it would easily have if it looked like this at all times:

9030Gpj.png

Boom, immediately obvious, and the key point is that by reinforcing this to the player at all times via a third person view, the player will feel like Indy more.

It's also the last shot that looks decent. The rest looks like a remaster of a 360 game at a higher resolution.

near

Gold Member
I held the opinion that a first-person perspective Indy game would be wank. But having seen it in motion, I hold a completely different opinion now. I think you can easily encapsulate the adventures of Indy from a first-person perspective, and a lot of the gameplay mechanics you'd expect from an Indy game lends itself well to the first-person perspective. The whip, the puzzles, and exploration befit this game design approach. I don't really need to see he's character animation to capture the immersion I'm looking for. I'm quite excited if I'm being honest.

Esppiral

Not surprise with the comments here....no matter what people will always complain about Xbox games lololol

Will buy day 1, glad to see the franchise finally getting a modem game.
I agree with you, if the next Spiderman TLU or Spiderman were Xbox exclusive you would be hearing that they look AA, like a PS3 game etc, But 1st person Indy game is a BIG mistake.

• Thoughtful
I don't even care that it's in first person. My issue with the game is it looks like Teyon made it. The graphics are inconsistent animations look really bad.

Last edited:

BlackTron

Gold Member
This was only just revealed...I look forward to how the decisions around this game mature after the hype and honeymoon phases end. Welcome to Starfield 2.0

Lol@everyone whining "1st person, I'm out!"...

Fucksakes the game isn't even out and yes, 1st person sucks balls, narratively driven adventure games should be 3rd person, this looks all wrong but you know what it looks like an indy game, graphics looks great, some world hopping going on so who knows maybe it'll be great but I for one won't be playing it cause it's an Xbox exclusive ffs
Believe it or not, some people just can’t play first person games for more than a little while because of motion sickness, including myself, that’s why I personally said it. Don’t know why other people did, but yea.

mortal

Of course not, because this character isn't exactly like those characters. They just all had varying personalities that Indy kind of butted heads with. On that same note, why does she half to? Does it suddenly create an issue that she doesn't? I mean, I don't see why it's such an issue personally. But to each their own.

For me, I trust Machinegames. Especially with how some of their staff worked on titles like Butcher Bay and The Darkness, which still stick with me today. I can't guarantee it will be amazing, but I hope it will, and don't feel too concerned about it. At least not yet.
I'm not saying she has to, it would just be refreshing to see considering the trends in media today. I'm mostly just tired of seeing female characters being condescending to male characters like it's the only option for Western media.
He's an iconic person both in-universe and in our own pop culture, so having the character view him through that lens would be cool too. I don't think that's an outrageous opinion.

Last edited:
Top Bottom