• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indiana Jones by MachineGames Officially Revealed - Coming in 2024 | Xbox Direct 2024

Majormaxxx

Infernal Machine is the only good one of the three. Har Barwood (who made Fate of Atlantis) made it, and even though it's a grid-based Tomb Raider copy it's much better than Emperor's Tomb or Staff of Kings.
Staff of kings yes but emperor's tomb is legit good. Hal is great though!

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Character models though? I disagree with everything bar TLOU 2. Going off the 4k screenshots and not shitty captures of course.
Just a few random images from Google Images I found for some of these games.

kratos_cave2.0.jpg

RDR2_Arthur_Morgan_Default.jpg
00-featured-re3-hd-remake-modded-immersion-preview.jpg

FvXxU6DWcAQGXkF.jpg
uoEx2RV.jpg

ss_7b1c36dbc3deb1515a65aaaca42795813de08a83.1920x1080.jpg

ysozzDx.jpg

FpQ0oiH.jpg

FeralEcho

to even counter those further i'd say it's not entirely what i'd want an Indy template to be either. Drake is a murdering psychopath who is ridiculously indestructible and superbly athletic... Indy kind of falls into spectacle and even then he's not some superhero, he just really wants to save the artifact and stop it from getting into the wrong hands. (and that's if we disregard the temple of doom altogether)
So this isn't a murdering psychopath?
indiana jones gun GIF

He just nonchalantly kills a guy...

Or this? Or any of the hundred scenes of explosions and gunshots throughout the Indy movies.
Indiana Jones And The Last Crusade Explosion GIF by Indiana Jones

Seems pretty close to what Drake does from what I'm seeing...

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

kratos_cave2.0.jpg

FvXxU6DWcAQGXkF.jpg
uoEx2RV.jpg

ysozzDx.jpg

FpQ0oiH.jpg

Nah.

They're all well detailed models.

But Indy is just as well, if not more, detailed and lovingly rendered.

Not seeing how you can proclaim that those look better than this.

GEJ3WXqbUAAmiXx

Did you really think that was the game. After your MK1 fuck up I thought you'd not be as careless, but warrior goggles seem to taint the view. Gold journalism isn't what it used to be.

No Way Oh Snap GIF by Uninterrupted

Last edited:
Nah.

They're all well detailed models.

But Indy is just as well, if not more, detailed and lovingly rendered.

Not seeing how you can proclaim that those look better than this.

GEJ3WXqbUAAmiXx

No Way Oh Snap GIF by Uninterrupted

You’re posting one shot of Indy, look at all the rest of them

It doesn’t look above and beyond other good looking games that have been out for years

The eyes and mouth have a video game look to them that’s almost like a doll figure

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

It doesn’t look above and beyond other good looking games that have been out for years

The eyes and mouth have a video game look to them that’s almost like a doll figure
Yep. I don't see anything that hasn't already been done before visually. Older games have done it better, and that, too, 4-5 years before this.

8101c451b1f55a6ecd310dced98e2fc21705661951363555_original.png

Official-Gameplay-Reveal-Trailer_-Indiana-Jones-and-the-Great-Circle-2-11-screenshot.jpg

Last edited:

adamsapple

The rest of them look fine too. At least the ones you haven't put through a filter before posting here :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Look at all these great models from the new Indiana Jones game.

7ArFRFE.png

maxresdefault.jpg

GEMi3mnWAAAe5ZR

Last edited:

adamsapple

They look good

They don’t look above and beyond other games, even last gen games.

Its not the best the industry has to offer is all I’m saying

Good. No one's saying this is the 'best in the industry'. But it's as good, if not notably better, than some of the best ones we have seen so far.

-

Worth noting that this is an ID Tech game, so a 60 FPS mode should be guaranteed by default. Wonder if they can squeeze in RT 60 FPS like ID did with Doom Eternal. Sounds too ambitious for this, but let's see.

Good. No one's saying this is the 'best in the industry'.

The original post said this was “next gen” looking character models and that’s really not true

Maybe that distinction doesn’t matter because last gen really set the bar high

I’d honestly say that only maybe Hellblade 2 at this point has shown next gen character models

StueyDuck

indiana jones gun GIF

Or this? Or any of the hundred scenes of explosions and gunshots throughout the Indy movies.

Have you played an uncharted game before?

CGNoire

Great game and it does hold up! Replayed it a few months ago on series x. There's one tricky level (people who played it know which one) where it took me a few hours to get get through it but overall fantastic.

On pc you should look up the gog forums on how to properly map the controller.

Otherwise it plays great with keyboard and mouse.
Does analog work as intended or is it just a digital to analog conversion?

Majormaxxx

Does analog work as intended or is it just a digital to analog conversion?
If I recall correctly (don't have the GOG version currently installed), analogue control works fine. The important issue is properly mapping all the controls to the gamepad buttons so that it matches the experience on console. I remember I followed the suggested tutorial in the forums (probably) and it played fine. Back in the day I finished it on PC (mouse and keyboard) but last year my playthrough was on xbox because I prefer not to be sitting while gaming. PC has the advantage of better textures. Series X does upres the game to 4k and it looks great, but still the PC textures are better.

ps2 xbox pc comparison
series x

Here is the GOG forum post:

Sad that they went down the first person shooter route rather than point n click or 3rd person adventure. I think they are missing a trick here, as there is combat in Indy, but mostly it is exploration, puzzles and dare-defying stunts.

The whip works as a fun trick a few times per movie - walking through a jungle whipping hundreds of soldiers in melee sounds a bit tedious.

Is it by the people who did Robocop Rogue City?

Last edited:

amigastar

Sad that they went down the first person shooter route rather than point n click or 3rd person adventure. I think they are missing a trick here, as there is combat in Indy, but mostly it is exploration, puzzles and dare-defying stunts.

The whip works as a fun trick a few times per movie - walking through a jungle whipping hundreds of soldiers in melee sounds a bit tedious.

Is it by the people who did Robocop Rogue City?
No, it's by MachineGames who did the Wolfenstein reboot games.
But i'm not happy it will be First Person but if anyone can pull it off it's MachineGames.

Last edited:
indiana jones gun GIF

The guy would kill him to be fair!

Don't draw attention to this classic scene of cinema, it's not too late for George Lucas to go back and edit in a machine gun in the hands of the swordsman and make him fire first.

Funnily enough it was not scripted - there was a whole fight scene but Ford had dysentry so they had to do it like that.

No, it's by MachineGames who did the Wolfenstein reboot games.
But i'm not happy it will be First Person but if anyone can pull it off it's MachineGames.

Ah - I did try out one of those, very much a first person shooter then. Shame - not my kind of genre (albeit I do like Robocop for the nostalgia and it defiitely seems to suit the character).

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
Indy is expected to do more than side hop, shoot things, and occasionally grapple around. Indy action scenes and set pieces are some of the best ever put to film and you can't match any of that in a game where you're essentially controlling a wheeled camera rig with a gun strapped to it

Chronicles of Riddick was made by many of the devs who are working on this project, it stars a protagonist who is way more action oriented than Indiana Jones and was a 89% MC rated success.

This has been pointed out many times already…it doesn’t guarantee a successful translation of Indiana Jones, but it proves the perspective works.

Mister Wolf

One thing seeing it in first person does well is convey the pain of getting struck by a whip. Especially on your hand.

Last edited:
Ah - I did try out one of those, very much a first person shooter then. Shame - not my kind of genre (albeit I do like Robocop for the nostalgia and it defiitely seems to suit the character).
You clearly haven’t even watched the trailer. Go check it out if you are interested in the game.

FR1908

kratos_cave2.0.jpg

FvXxU6DWcAQGXkF.jpg
uoEx2RV.jpg

ysozzDx.jpg

FpQ0oiH.jpg
I don't recognize all the images, but the ones I do are third person games where the ingame faces are always at a higher level than in first-person games. However, some of the environments in the Indy trailer are on a higher level than many of the games you mention here. For now, we can only guess where all the computing power goes.

Top Bottom