• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indiana Jones by MachineGames Officially Revealed - Coming in 2024 | Xbox Direct 2024

VulcanRaven

I like how the graphics look and I'm just happy we are getting more Indy. Looking at those short third persons clips makes me a bit sad though. I wish the whole game was like that. Making a first person Indiana Jones game is like making a first person Batman game. I want to see the character doing things.

Last edited:

Killer8

Did you even watch the video ? They took the time to specifically address this point with explanations and examples of moments where they put the camera back for you to see the character, as well as cut-scenes.
You know cut-scenes exist right?

Did either of you read anything I said?

Yes, there is third-person, but if it's minimized to cut-scenes and certain traversal actions, you don't get the same reinforcement that you're playing as the character as seeing them on screen at all times. The developers give the rationale that first person is more immersive - but I think that, paradoxically, not seeing the silhouette of the character at all times actually does far more to lessen immersion.

If I see Spider-Man on screen, it is concrete that I am playing as Spider-Man:

UhX3Sjg.jpg

You can take almost any screenshot from the game and immediately know. Hell, I even used a screenshot of a random old Spider-Man game to illustrate that the point applies across games, even.

Similarly I can do this with Batman:

RKEBs1n.jpg

Now I look at moment-to-moment gameplay from Indy (ie. what a huge amount of the game will look like because of muh first person immersion):

4munt6R.png

QVUSc9f.png

XoYow9I.png

FENlTlV.png

IsYKRXt.png

What are we looking at here? The new Elder Scrolls? The new Wolfenstein? A WW2 COD game? Some puzzle solving walking sim? A UE5 tech demo showing off a jungle? Without the silhouette the game loses its identity, which it would easily have if it looked like this at all times:

9030Gpj.png

Boom, immediately obvious, and the key point is that by reinforcing this to the player at all times via a third person view, the player will feel like Indy more.

LordCBH

I like how the graphics look and I'm just happy we are getting more Indy. Looking at those short third persons clips makes me a bit sad though. I wish the whole game was like that. Making a first person Indiana Jones game is like making a first person Batman game. I want to see the character doing things.

100% how I feel here. I’m sure they’ll make a decently fun FPS Indy game. But first person doesn’t fit Indy. Part of the charm is seeing Indy do cool shit while I control him, IMO.

It would be like making a TPS halo game: just no.

NeverYouMind

Gold Member
If they have many platforming elements it will be bad in comparison to Uncharted, but Indiana Jones is not known for parkour so with enough interactivity and adventure game elements the first-person view could work out well. It worked for Bioshock...

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Did either of you read anything I said?

Yes, there is third-person, but if it's minimized to cut-scenes and certain traversal actions, you don't get the same reinforcement that you're playing as the character as seeing them on screen at all times. The developers give the rationale that first person is more immersive - but I think that, paradoxically, not seeing the silhouette of the character at all times actually does far more to lessen immersion.

The whip controls would suck in third person, also we have enough examples of games like Butcher Bay, Robocop etc where you have no loss in immersion of 'feeling' of embodying a character because it's third person.

Batman is a brawler where you need to have constant situational awareness for combat, having that in first person would be a different thing compared to this.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
First person. What a waste. I categorically don't play first person games, so have no interest in both Avowed and this Indy game.

I'm betting this is going to limit sales/MAUs, because it seems there are far more people who refuse to play first person games than there are people who refuse to play third person games. Would be interesting to see which perspective Negaffers prefer.

THE DUCK

Banned
If they have many platforming elements it will be bad in comparison to Uncharted, but Indiana Jones is not known for parkour so with enough interactivity and adventure game elements the first-person view could work out well. It worked for Bioshock...

They said in the video traversal is third person......

First person is fine, some huge overreacting here. We don't need uncharted 5 mixed with tomb raider.

Last edited:

Ristifer

First person. What a waste. I categorically don't play first person games, so have no interest in both Avowed and this Indy game.

I'm betting this is going to limit sales/MAUs, because it seems there are far more people who refuse to play first person games than there are people who refuse to play third person games. Would be interesting to see which perspective Negaffers prefer.

I just play games. I don’t give a fuck what the perspective is, as long as it’s good.

BlackTron

Gold Member
Guessing you've never watched a Jones movie or haven't watched one in 30 years or you would realize capturing the essence of the movies means the game will be a bit of that cheesy 80's movie.

I don't think he was talking about the sets.

Skifi28

It's a studio who makes nothing but first person games, and even still some folks need to convey how disappointed they are that it isn't a third person game 🤷‍♂️
I suppose the next Fable is going to be a kart racer then, or maybe studios don't always have to do the same thing and we can expect them to occasionally evolve/adapt to what they are making.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Its just a viewpoint. We have had first and third person games since the start of 3D gaming. In fact some of the biggest selling games of all time are first person.

mortal

Looks pretty decent honestly, although the combination of 1st person and quasi-3rd person is kind of jarring imo.
It comes off as a design concession as they understand how iconic the character is.

The inclusion of a condescending female adventurer who puts Indiana in his place made me roll my eyes.

Majormaxxx

Shooting should be solid. Music should be great as well. Premise sounds great.

Cringe dialogue and strong independent characters will be an issue.

So a 50/50 chance of a good game?

Jedge

There is something called the Golden ring of Russia but I don't think that's related to this game.

First person isn't my favorite for adventure games but I'll probably give it a chance as I love the genre

dem

Looks pretty decent honestly, although the combination of 1st person and quasi-3rd person is kind of jarring imo.
It comes off as a design concession as they understand how iconic the character is.

The inclusion of a condescending female adventurer who puts Indiana in his place made me roll my eyes.

Really? In Indiana Jones?

Alphagear

Looked promising until they showed it’s first person.

Weird choice for this type of game.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Gold Member
Why these developers never listen to what gamers want? A first person Indy? Go f yourself.
Honestly anyone that didn't think first person was a possibility kind of did it to themselves IMO. It's Machinegames. They're clearly fans of the perspective, and hasn't really been a secret. I thought alternating between third and first on the fly would've been cool, but them doing first, but then third for moments still works. Much like it did with Butcher Bay. Even if this is a bigger and more recognizable IP.

The "issue" with going strictly third person is that they've had third person Indy games previously. We've also had quite a few games where the environment or characters were clearly inspired by Indiana Jones. But this is at least new for Indiana Jones, even if some people may not agree with it, or doubt it.

With how Butcher Bay was handled, I think it wouldn't be fair to completely shoot this down personally.

Have you not seen Raiders or Temple of Doom? I mean, those characters weren't really educated adventurers, but I don't think a female adventurer is too far fetched.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Yep they have to have stuff like that in the game of course. Although after the disaster that is Dial of Destiny, and movie fans reaction to that woman in that, i'll guess they wont go overboard with her in this game.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
I just play games. I don’t give a fuck what the perspective is, as long as it’s good.

A nice sentiment. But I still get queasy after playing a first person game for 20-30 minute. I've long given up on those games. I think the last FPS I played must have been Bioshock Infinite.

Last edited:

BlackTron

Gold Member
Damn, those facial animations look like they came straight from a late PS3 game. Hell, the facial animation in uncharted looked quite a bit better than what was shown today.

This is actually another reason I don't like the 1p decision. Indy is either not on screen at all, or when he is you're looking at those cutscenes and close-ups. At no point can Indy be the effective selling point he really is.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I'm also not a fan of the first person but it looks entertaining. WAYYYYYYYYY YYYYYY YYYYYYYY YYYYYYY better and more interesting than Hellblade 2. Consider me interested.

sodstall

from 1:55, it looks like some 3rd person swinging? so maybe some dynamic/cinematic action shots for traversal and combat?

edit: brainfart

Last edited:

Hugare

Put me in the "1st person was a mistake" group

It doesnt make you feel like Indie. It makes you feel like, well, you.

It also limits what can be done in terms of gameplay. Looks like Wolfenstein + a whip.

An Uncharted-like game but with Indie + next gen graphics was all I was hoping for

DJ12

Lets face facts, it looks like a cross gen title in 4K (although I bet it's not), the animation is awful, the facial models a bit iffy, voice acting poor and the puzzle where he randomly threw a stone and it landed somewhere he wasn't really aiming is telling me this isn't going to be a great game.

Add in Todd's involvement after the train wreck that's Starfield and I'm worried for this game. The story is going to be an incoherent shit show.

I'll be honest, when he said John WIlliams I got pumped, but even that lead to a let down.

First person is not for this, it will turn into a generic shooter that will be forgotten when the nostalgia glasses fall off.

I have a feeling this will get a third person mode patched in at some point.

We all know xbox is crying out for a decent Uncharted clone, and I'm sorry you guys aren't getting it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom