• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Insider Gaming] PlayStation 5 Pro is “100%” in Development.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Whether people like the idea or not, there will always be a % of people that will always want to own the best PS hardware available, so by not doing it they could be leaving money on the table.

I'm part of that % so you can blame me :messenger_beaming:. I have stopped building PCs so justify it that way, especially in the second half of a generation when we see PC starting to move ahead in certain ways.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
People FINANCE those iPhones. That argument is stupid.

95% of humans walk into that cell phone store. Walk out. Added $30 to their bill with 0% interest rate on that phone.

People don’t (at mass anyhow) finance video game consoles.
Maybe in USA.
In Poland people finance everything. We buy Phones and consoles from retailers like media markt with 20x0% charge.
Buying on a plan from tmobile is the worst, most expensive way to buy an iphone.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Some people here clamouring against performance options......

The braindead are among us.
The only one braindead here is you, if you can't see why pro consoles are a part of problem.
John says it well here. There is barely any reason and way to do it. And the additional sku to optimize for is not great for devs.
13:53

1:44

Plenty of opinions like that. The more educated you are on the topic, the more you can see PRO is just milking the customers and muddying the water for devs.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
bullshit. Options are options and as such optional.
not at all. watch the vids i linked.
what is option for you, hurts other players and devs.,.. and the whole industry.
And I will get one. Its not even my problem but I dont fail to see it

Dutchy

Would the introduction of a PS5 pro increase the likelyhood of the Series S being left behind in the development for feature multi-plat titles? Considering there would be three ''powerful'' consoles to develop for.

Schmendrick

not at all. watch the vids i linked.
what is option for you, hurts other players and devs.,.. and the whole industry.
And I will get one. Its not even my problem but I dont fail to see it
Bullshit takes for drama`s sake on YT are your arguments....
Uuh, one more system profile for HIGHER powered FIXED hardware will break the industry, meanwhile the pro consoles were a non-issue last gen, the series S exists and then there is still PC......
Don´t make me laugh and don`t try to validate clickbait paranoia.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Bullshit takes for drama`s sake on YT are your arguments....
Uuh, one more system profile for HIGHER powered hardware will break the industry, meanwhile the series S exists and the pro consoles last gen were a non-issue.
Don´t make me laugh and don`t try to validate clickbait paranoia.
You are blind and stupid man.
Yet you point to Series S which is exactly the prolem. Look what it did. Games have to target lowest denominator and devs need to optimize for many platforms.
Wake up sheeple !!!

winjer

Gold Member
You already have a new node inside the newer PS5s. My day 1 PS5 is on a 1nm higher node than the current ones on the market, and with that they managed to save some costs on the cooling solution. I would argue that had that shrink not happened, the current console price probably would be even higher. You also have the other side of the market playing a part (limited supply with crazy high demand), so no real incentive to drop prices.

All in all it just means the market is ready to absorb current prices, no need for a "slim" version just yet (although I would argue the new version with optional bluray drive to be launched later this year would count as a slim).

Once demand drops at the current price, you'll see some drops. That will feel especially good knowing how many scalpers will be losing money on inventory :)

N6 is the same node as N7. It's called a half node, and it bring fewer improvements.
Same thing for N4, being derived from N5.

Schmendrick

You are blind and stupid man.
Yet you point to Series S which is exactly the prolem. Look what it did. Games have to target lowest denominator and devs need to optimize for many platforms.
Wake up sheeple !!!
Because higher powered hardware with exactly the same architectural setup which can basically be accounted for by simply changing the resolution if you so wish is the same as accounting for a crippled toaster of a base console and the world ended last gen with the pro consoles, too.

I´d say get rid of your tinfoil hat, but the amount of utterly retarded paranoia you spew every single time a pro console is mentioned tells me it`s too late for you. You must be what happens if someone mistakes social media clickbait for reality....

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Because higher powered hardware with exactly the same architectural setup which can basically be accounted for by simply changing the resolution if you so wish is the same as accounting for a crippled toaster of a base console and the world ended last gen with the pro consoles, too.

I´d say get rid of your tinfoil hat, but the amount of utterly retarded paranoia you spew every single time a pro console is mentioned tells me it`s too late for you.
No. It's not a pc despite the popular opinion. It's never just a res change and go lol. You dont know nothing about console hardware it seems.
There are plenty of dev interviews on this topic. You change resolution and have to compile new version. Effects change, plenty of stuff can change even with simplest res change. It's not a pc. you have to playtest and fix other versions man.
It' not "retarded paranoia". It is facts and observation shared by most people knowledgeable enough which you fail to see.

And as I've said in every fucking post. I will get the pro. I don't care. I am not the problem here. But I really wish it just never existed.

Schmendrick

It' not "retarded paranoia". It is facts and observation shared by most people knowledgeable enough which you fail to see.
It is your retarded social media induced paranoia and nothing else. I´m a software dev myself.
If devs are moaning about 1 additional profile for fixed higher powered hardware with 1 to 1 architecture then they`re bullshitting you to exuse some fuckup, not that someone like you would realize that.......

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
Hope this turns out to be true. Anything up to $599 is perfectly fine to pay for improved power.

Mid gen consoles will bring MUCH better Ray tracing + DLSS3-like frame generation tech to the mass market. And I'm all for that.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
It is your retarded social media induced paranoia and nothing else. I´m a software dev myself.....
If devs are moaning about 1 additional profile for fixed higher powered hardware with 1 to 1 architecture then they`re bullshitting you to exuse some fuckup.
You continue to be blind.
You are software dev my ass. You don't make games for consoles. Again - it's nothing like making change in .ini file. There are many devs interviews

I see You lack any empathy and knowledge on this topic since you quickly came down to slurs and calling me retarded instead of trying to understand the topic.
It is not as simple as you make it out to be. Both dev wise and market wise.

Just stick to PC and shut up. You don't know anything about consoles apparently.

kyussman

Ok,ok.....I see a PS5 Pro and a copy of Death Stranding 2 as a very probable gateway into this gen.I see many of you are annoyed and a get it,you feel you haven't even got much value out of your launch PS5's yet due to how shit this gen has been so far.That's why I've not even bothered with it yet.I think I have to play Death Stranding 2 though.
I was considering an XSX and a copy of Starfield as my first next gen experience but that dream is dying quickly given recent events,lol.

Schmendrick

And now you also prove you don't know anything about games too.
reported. I am done taking slurs
I seriously always thought you were just some board troll...
Now I start to relize you actually mean what you write, and it makes me worried.,

I´ve been rofif`d.
Sad Ap Top 25 GIF

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I seriously always thought you were just some board troll...
Now I start to relize you actually mean what you write, and it makes me worried.,

I´ve been rofif`d.
Sad Ap Top 25 GIF
plenty of people want pro consoles and don't agree with me.
Look at HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 for example. yet I am not arguing with him like that. He got some good points and don't need to call me names. Totally on another level of discussion compared to you

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I wouldn’t be surprised if the PS5 never drops below $399.99. If the disc add-on is real, then they’ll shift to a single sku and discontinue the current models. I don’t expect a Pro, but if it happens it will probably come in at $600 for the digital base model with the same +$100 for the disc add-on.

I’m happy with the regular PS5 and I’ll stick with it for the rest of the gen.

Schmendrick

plenty of people want pro consoles and don't agree with me.
Look at HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 for example. yet I am not arguing with him like that. He got some good points and don't need to call me names. Totally on another level of discussion compared to you
"you are blind and stupid, more options will end the world, look at the youtubers I base my opinion on"

yeah, "discussion".

Go kick a rock dude.
Better late than never: ignored.

Last edited:

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Would the introduction of a PS5 pro increase the likelyhood of the Series S being left behind in the development for feature multi-plat titles? Considering there would be three ''powerful'' consoles to develop for.
I don't see it getting substantially worse/different unless PS5 Pro was a big market-success out of the gate.
Reality is Series S has mostly already been left behind - the only reason it gets so many compromised versions is that Series X (&PS5) are leading and S is just a down-port target.

And if you're asking 'what other way is there' - MS makes no mandates for a Series X version to even exist - all they require is that a game runs on both. So developers were entirely free to do it the other way around and optimise around S consoles - they just chose not to.

Lysandros

PS4 launched weak put of the gate with its CPU.
Only on CPU side, it was quite capable in GPU/Bandwidth/ASYNC departments with a fair number of custom bits. That is the console who gave us Killzone Shadow Fall right off the bat, and aged surprisingly well till this day.

PeteBull

First of all i hope we keep it civil, lets not give in to the infamous neogaf meme :p

Now about ps5pr0, lets wait and see if market likes it, at 600 or even 800, or not, then and only then we will know if it was needed or not.

For example by now we can clearly tell xbos series s, even at that 300$(often around 200$ with promotions) was not accepted by market for the simple reason xbox series s/x combined for those 2,5years sold way worse vs ps5, thats hard data right there, not opinions, customers simply prefered more expensive but better ps5 vs cheap but weaker series s.

Lysandros

Well it did launch 2 TF weaker than the competition the only reason Series X's advantage haven't manifest is because their most competent devs haven't released anything yet. While I agree it's a well rounded amazing machine it's still underpowered relatively speaking..
Did you also know that XSX launched 26 Gpixel/s and 1.62 Gtriangle/s weaker than the competition?

NEbeast

..why?

This fucking gen didn't even start yet, we've had like 4 or 5 actual gen exclusives
They're making the consoles basically PCs with 3 year new hardware releases
But suckers will keep on sucking
I'm confused, it has been 4 years. How long should they wait? You don't have to upgrade if you don't want to. This doesn't effect you, or everyone else crying at all! Why all the fucking whining?
Billy Crystal Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

The only one braindead here is you, if you can't see why pro consoles are a part of problem.
John says it well here. There is barely any reason and way to do it. And the additional sku to optimize for is not great for devs.
13:53

1:44

Plenty of opinions like that. The more educated you are on the topic, the more you can see PRO is just milking the customers and muddying the water for devs.

DF kind of tells on themselves here... they just don't want to cover it. What they fail to acknowledge is that cross gen is largely dying and by the time a PS5 Pro would launch based on rumors is holidays next year, when cross gen will be almost entirely dead except for maybe some GaaS games and sports games.

I don't think people not being able to get a PS5 until recently is a valid argument. They could have released a PS5 Pro at launch.

I also don't think you need to market it for 8K today. The reality is that if you want the PS5 Pro to extend into the 8K advent, it's still worthwhile, but most importantly you can better market 120fps, Dolby Atmos and vision support, maybe PS1-5 on disc support, and if you could have fidelity modes with unlocked framerates that would be a win as well. There is a lot you could do with a PS5 Pro even if it can't fidelity at 4K60 with RTX, or maybe it has some dedicated function for ray tracing.

Arun1910

Yeah... because the Ps5 has so many games on it that push the hardware.

Iron Man Eye Roll GIF

I'll buy a Pro when there are actually games that require it to play. How long do you think that's realistically going to take?

Considering games take around 3 years minimum now to make, and that many games releasing now had to go through 2 years of Covid development hell...

2025 earliest I'd recon.

I also don't think price is a real factor either.

If they want to sell the PS5 Pro at 1K, it's fine.

If they're aiming to bridge some of the PC market, that's still a steal comparatively. How many people would buy a PS5 Pro just for hardware BC and maybe a digital games library covering PS1-5?

You look at the used game market for prices for some of these games and how many people demand BC... maybe this is a solution for that crowd if they're willing to pay for it. For 1000 dollars you get 5 consoles? I think that's a fair deal. Not saying that is what the PS5 Pro will do, but to dismiss this out of hand simply because you aren't going to double the power of the chipset seems pretty nonsensical.

I can think of SEVERAL ways to market a PS5 Pro that aren't related to 8K (today or at all).

Yeah... because the Ps5 has so many games on it that push the hardware.

Iron Man Eye Roll GIF

I'll buy a Pro when there are actually games that require it to play. How long do you think that's realistically going to take?

That's kind of a poor take.

How many games on PS5 have a 30 fps fidelity mode that with VRR can be boosted to 40+ that with a PS5 Pro could be boosted to upwards of 60?

35cent

God no! The current consoles aren't being pushed as it is. We don't need pro consoles. Also, I only got a PS5 a couple of weeks ago so there's that too :messenger_tears_of_joy:

You know Sony is a victim of its own success when 60 million units (by end of fiscal year next year) isn't enough supplied to meet demand to where anyone would complain about them adding another sku to their lineup...

By the time holiday 2024 rolls around they'll probably be at 70+ million.

How many non Sony pure consoles have sold 60+ million units?

Wii - Non core gamer console
Xbox 360
NES/Famicom

Sony will have done this in just 4 years... so much for supply constraints...

Lysandros

Why is that a problem everyone how they like if you are happy with the base PS5 good for you.If someone else has the money and wants the best version of games what’s the problem?
Saturating an already strained industry with even more SKUs thus lowering app quality/optimization per platform even further.

Cannibalising/diverting resources from actual next generation hardware research and development thus resulting with an even more compromised product and evolution per generation.

FunkMiller

That's kind of a poor take.

How many games on PS5 have a 30 fps fidelity mode that with VRR can be boosted to 40+ that with a PS5 Pro could be boosted to upwards of 60?

A jump of 10 to 15 fps does not justify an entirely new five hundred quid console, at least not for me.

Games that have new and interesting mechanics, environments and story telling that can only be done on something as powerful as a Ps5 Pro... that's different. But I ain't buying that shit for a few frames. Give me games that justify its existence and I'll bite. But not before.

Last edited:
N6 is the same node as N7. It's called a half node, and it bring fewer improvements.
Same thing for N4, being derived from N5.
ok... so?
Still brought the heat production down and cooling costs down as well... not sure what the point of disagreement now.

shaddam

I dont have problem with a PS5 pro. If the price and upgrade is correct I might buy one, and I can move my ps5 to my parents. I skipped the ps4 pro btw, the update seemed minimal

A jump of 10 to 15 fps does not justify an entirely new five hundred quid console, at least not for me.

Games that have new and interesting mechanics, environments and story telling that can only be done on something as powerful as a Ps5 Pro... that's different. But I ain't buying that shit for a few frames. Give me games that justify its existence and I'll bite. But not before.
That's fair. Exactly why no one is forced to buy it :)

winjer

Gold Member
ok... so?
Still brought the heat production down and cooling costs down as well... not sure what the point of disagreement now.

Power usage and performance gains in N6 are marginal. Not enough to make a Slim console.
The only real advantage of N6 is density. Here is what TSMC had to say:

N6 manufacturing process delivers 18% higher logic density over the N7 process. At the same time, its design rules are fully compatible with TSMC's proven N7 technology, allowing its comprehensive design ecosystem to be reused. As a result, it offers a seamless migration path with a fast design cycle time with very limited engineering resources for customers not only to achieve the product benefits from the new technology offering but also can significantly reduce customers' product design cycle time and time-to-market.

KXVXII9X

I am at that age where you have seen enough that you begin to find all this noise about streaming, cloud, services, hardware iteration, Pro-versions... really tiring...and quite distracting...The focus is on how to consume, instead of on the product itself...
Development costs are exploding, the industry is consolidating, games are a constant work-in-progress, Netflixization is knocking at the door (Oh Lord!)...
How does the PS5-Pro fit into this? I don't know...Just a bit high and annoyed...😑
I couldn't agree more. It feels like a lot of distractions instead of real advancement in gaming. Software is still the most important at the end of the day.

Top Bottom