• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Insider Gaming: Sony’s next Playstation Handheld (not a cloud-streaming device)

Ozriel

M$FT
Obviously we have no way of knowing if the rumors are true. but it doesn't make sense to me why this device wouldn't be able to run vita or psp or android games natively. I doubt sony would make a handheld that can only be used next to your ps5.

Then you can expect pricing to go up commensurately, making it an even worse deal vs the Steam Deck.

Baki

If you took PS5's lineup and put it on a portable, that portable would sell similar to the PS5.

If we look at why 3DS did mediocre in Europe and wose than the PS4 for example, its not because Europe loves consoles and doesn't like handhelds. Its because PS4 had the more appealing software for that market.

A portable device doesn't solve the software issue.
Disagree. We’re talking Japan right? A portable PlayStation that has Monster Hunter, Resident Evil, GT7, Elden Ring, Persona, Hogwarts Legacy, DQ, KH, Final Fantasy and Ghost of Tsushima would be a dominant platform in Japan, if Sony were able to provide the supply. That’s a line up that would have made the PSP blush!

Last edited:
This could be very useful for lots of people.People also play their switch in handheld mode at home.For people who’s TV is occupied by others or their kids they can sit somewhere comfy in their houses and play bloodborne or other games with this Sony handheld.So this would be really useful for lots of people.I know people want a brand new handheld from Sony with unique games made for it who knows if it’s like that or only companion device for the PS5

Banjo64

cumsessed
Then you can expect pricing to go up commensurately, making it an even worse deal vs the Steam Deck.
This won’t be less than £200. I’m expecting it to be close to the Logitech one at £349. The Steam Deck is £349. The Switch OLED is £309.

These companies (Xbox/Logitech and Sony if they follow suit) are out of their actual minds. The entire concept of these devices are such a waste of time considering they cater to maybe 100k people, if that. Pricing is an absolute insult.

lordrand11

This is not true All other Sonys hardware is state of the art.So was there psp and vita and their Virtual Reality headset
State of the art doesn't mean shit when it doesn't hit state of the sales and most of that hardware has been okay at best in sales with the exception of the PSP at the time.

So it's basically a Wii U GamePad that you can stream PS5 games to?

How much is this gonna cost

I think sometimes about how much better the Wii U could've done had Nintendo just made some key decisions early on. They could've released a Wii U minus the GamePad, with a Pro Controller bundled, for $199. And then given people the option to buy the Deluxe Bundle with the GamePad if they wanted that "Off-TV Play" or asymmetric multiplayer. Or sold it seperately for $100 if you did change your mind and wanted one later on. All they would've had to do is update the UI and the backend system to make it so the GamePad wasn't required for certain system functions.

Similar to how MS pivoted real early on with Xbox One and removed the Kinect mandate from needing to be bundled with every system. They originally envisioned Xbox One and Kinect would be hand-in-hand for every user, but the market didn't want it. They just wanted the console. That saved the Xbox One from suffering a fate similar to what happened to the Wii U.

I think had they done that, could've at the very least sold at GameCube levels, maybe even N64 levels. Instead of being the colossal failure that it was.

Last edited:
So it's basically a Wii U GamePad that you can stream PS5 games to?

How much is this gonna cost

I think sometimes about how much better the Wii U could've done had Nintendo just made some key decisions early on. They could've released a Wii U minus the GamePad, with a Pro Controller bundled, for $199. And then given people the option to buy the Deluxe Bundle with the GamePad if they wanted that "Off-TV Play" or asymmetric multiplayer. Or sold it seperately for $100 if you did change your mind and wanted one later on. All they would've had to do is update the UI and the backend system to make it so the GamePad wasn't required for certain system functions.

I think had they done that, could've at the very least sold at GameCube levels, maybe even N64 levels. Instead of being the colossal failure that it was.

That GamePad was very expensive to make in 2012, you could say it was the biggest cost for Nintendo compared to the rest of the hardware specs...

If they didn't bundle it with the console, they couldn't have recoup the costs IMO as an optional accessory

Last edited:
That GamePad was very expensive to make in 2012, you could say it was the biggest cost for Nintendo compared to the rest of the hardware specs...

If they didn't bundle it with the console, they couldn't have recoup the costs IMO as an optional accessory
Right, I think that's absolutely why they felt like they couldn't just remove it from the system bundle. I think it would've been financially painful for them for awhile, but eventually the system would've sold much better, and thus higher software sales and accessory sales would've compensated for that, eventually.

They cut the price of the 3DS by a third within 6 months after launch, and they barely broke even on it for a couple years as a result of that decision, but they had to because otherwise it was selling so badly it would've eventually been in danger of being discontinued. A few revisions later, and by 2016 they dropped the whole 3D effect altogether.

Last edited:

BootsLoader

Banned
If it’s a controller then it’s ok.

But a handheld console to remote play ps5 games? Wtf? I ca. buy an iPad which does more things and remote play from there. I highly doubt that it’s only for remote play. Doesn’t make sense to me.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I don’t believe the PS5 Pro exist and will not exist. They are just saying this for hits and “probability” since it hope es last gen, so “why not this one too”.

It doesn’t make sense at all, but people love to be fooled by “insiders”. Just think about it:

- Sony doesn’t have games this gen. They haven’t announced a game since the PS5 reveal.
- They still mass produce cross-gen games. There are less than 10 games for PS5 only and the majority of those could also be PS4 games.
- No one has used more than 10% of the PS5 power not even 2.5 years later. Why would they release a more powerful console, when they can’t even finish developing games for PS5.
- This is just a wet-dream for people that think they only focus on 60fps, as if it’s something the majority cares about.

These are lies.

Disappointing, if true. Come on Sony, we need some competition for Nintendo with a true hybrid. Competition is good for gamers.

Almost NO Playstation gamer wants this! A Sony hybrid would be stupid!

Woopah

Disagree. We’re talking Japan right? A portable PlayStation that has Monster Hunter, Resident Evil, GT7, Elden Ring, Persona, Hogwarts Legacy, DQ, KH, Final Fantasy and Ghost of Tsushima would be a dominant platform in Japan, if Sony were able to provide the supply. That’s a line up that would have made the PSP blush!
Depends on what you count as dominant. PS4 will end at around 10 million, so a cheaper portable with that line up would probably do around 11-13 million.

Number of releases will also matter. Games on PSP were quicker to make which is why it was able to get so many exclusive Monster Hunters. The portable PSP was doing worse than the console Wii until Monster Hunter blew up and completely changed the platform's performance.

That's what PS5 needs now, exclusive games that blow up like Monster Hunter, Splatoon, Minecraft, Zelda, Ring Fit or Momotaro Denetsu did.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I will never understand you loonies championing for less consumer rights by acting like it is the future. You are what is wrong with this industry.
it IS the future whether or not you like it. I don't. But i can easily envision a future where everyone's playing cloud games on their fucking television. The fuck do you think we can do to prevent it? the masses settle for trash. Any consumer rights we ever even had have been eroded by corporations who brainwashed the masses to do nothing but consume regardless of quality.

Gudji

Jurassic Park Ian Malcom GIF

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I don’t believe the PS5 Pro exist and will not exist. They are just saying this for hits and “probability” since it hope es last gen, so “why not this one too”.

It doesn’t make sense at all, but people love to be fooled by “insiders”. Just think about it:

- Sony doesn’t have games this gen. They haven’t announced a game since the PS5 reveal.
- They still mass produce cross-gen games. There are less than 10 games for PS5 only and the majority of those could also be PS4 games.
- No one has used more than 10% of the PS5 power not even 2.5 years later. Why would they release a more powerful console, when they can’t even finish developing games for PS5.
- This is just a wet-dream for people that think they only focus on 60fps, as if it’s something the majority cares about.
Just this whole post
24cLd9m.jpg

DonJimbo

So excited for a New dedicated Handheld by Sony my playtime on psp and Vita were more than on ps3 and ps4 together

If they were smart, it would be an Xperia Play return with a SD slot for retail games and no more than $700 available at all US carriers to finally try and become relevant in the market again.

So more likely it's going to be a handheld with bulky frame with $90 proprietary 2GB SD cards, and games costing $70.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
it IS the future whether or not you like it. I don't. But i can easily envision a future where everyone's playing cloud games on their fucking television. The fuck do you think we can do to prevent it? the masses settle for trash. Any consumer rights we ever even had have been eroded by corporations who brainwashed the masses to do nothing but consume regardless of quality.

Lol, no it isn't.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
These are lies.

Almost NO Playstation gamer wants this! A Sony hybrid would be stupid!

Lol that's the silliest thing I've ever seen on this forum. I dare you to start a poll thread asking if anyone would want to buy one. You do realize your opinion doesn't equal fact, right?

Banjo64

cumsessed
Yeah, incredibile weak hardware like the Switch.... :D

Thank god they won't do it
That’s cool and all but I don’t game just to look at pretty textures. Although funnily enough most Nintendo games age remarkably well whereas most realistic Sony games end up looking like garbage 2 generations later 🤷‍♂️

StereoVsn

Vita was a market failure. It didn't even sell more than 15 million units iirc, PSP was an eternity ago, what? 15 years ago? Just because you want a Sony handheld doesn't mean it makes sense. It's a problem of allocation of dev resources, it's not possible to make it work and keep a PS5 and a hypothetical PSP3 properly fed with titles.
The new handheld could play native PS4 games (possible with AMD APU), BC PS1/2/PSP/Vita games (digital ones already on the platform), and then remote stream PS3/PS5 games (remote play, cloud streaming, whatever).

That would certainly have a large potential audience and no need to split game dev. Not very likely possibility though. It would also cost anywhere from $400 to $1000 judging by SteamDeck prices as well as other more niche 6800U devices.

Yeah, I don't know how much this would sell after all. I mean Deck sold what 1mil in a year? Everything else combined sold less. Well, at least I would buy this unicorn Sony handheld, lol. Come on Jimbo, do it!

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Sony should make a portable handheld that can play digital games on PS Store in lower settings, and sync able to sync library with console. Would buy it day 1.

StereoVsn

Should be max 99 dollars for what you get.
Backbone controller alone is $99. And you think a device with a battery, nice screen, a Qualcomm SoC and so on should be same price?

Is it a great device? No, Logitech should have put in a stronger chip even if they had to charge $20-50 more. However, people need to stop with this stupid notion that a device like Logitech Cloud is not expensive to make.

Sony should make a portable handheld that can play digital games on PS Store in lower settings, and sync able to sync library with console. Would buy it day 1.
See my post above. They can make that device up to PS4 level. It would cost quite a lot. PS5 native isn't likely for a few years, so would need streaming (cloud or RemotePlay).

Last edited:
Backbone controller alone is $99. And you think a device with a battery, nice screen, a Qualcomm SoC and so on should be same price?

Is it a great device? No, Logitech should have put in a stronger chip even if they had to charge $20-50 more. However, people need to stop with this stupid notion that a device like Logitech Cloud is not expensive to make.

See my post above. They can make that device up to PS4 level. It would cost quite a lot. PS5 native isn't likely for a few years, so would need streaming (cloud or RemotePlay).
Not saying it’s not expensive to make. Just saying that’s what the device would be worth to me to actually buy it. It only does streaming. It’s basically a controller (60 dollars) retail maybe, but way cheaper to produce. A small screen of not too great quality and it only streams games.

Even if it takes 500 dollars to produce one, it’ll be only worth 99 bucks to me, maximum. So maybe the value of what you get vs what you have to pay might make the product just not sensible.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

Wont happen. Sony made the smart play of having only one hardware spec for this gen. One cross gen is gone and buried under cement, the ps5 is all anyone who wants to make a playstation game will target.
They wont need to focus on making 2 SKU’s. Just that they leave an uncapped version with 720p or 900p etc so PSP can play downscaled. Like Steamdeck.

Developers dont make a separate version for Steamdeck, it just plays the games downscaled. 95+% of PS5 games are 3rd party so those games will have that feature, like Steamdeck.

They wont need to focus on making 2 SKU’s. Just that they leave an uncapped version with 720p or 900p etc so PSP can play downscaled. Like Steamdeck.

Developers dont make a separate version for Steamdeck, it just plays the games downscaled. 95+% of PS5 games are 3rd party so those games will have that feature, like Steamdeck.

You know the price of steam deck right? You know how long the battery last to play PS4 quality games?

The value of that thing sucks big time

What are you suggesting is a complicated and expensive product when it can be done better and cheaper using remote play

mckmas8808

Lol that's the silliest thing I've ever seen on this forum. I dare you to start a poll thread asking if anyone would want to buy one. You do realize your opinion doesn't equal fact, right?

Not at all, would be incredible.

Yall do understand what it would take to make a PS handheld right? Even Nintendo has abandoned that strategy. And for good reason.

THE DUCK

Yall do understand what it would take to make a PS handheld right? Even Nintendo has abandoned that strategy. And for good reason.

I'm not even sure what planet you are on at this point, I said hybrid handheld, you said nobody wants one. Now your answer is that it would be too hard for Sony to make a handheld and that Nintendo has abandoned it. (Switch says hi)

Regardless, Sony can make a vr system but it's "too hard" to make a hybrid handheld? You've moved onto the realm of absurd here.

THE DUCK

I'm not even sure what planet you are on at this point, I said hybrid handheld, you said nobody wants one. Now your answer is that it would be too hard for Sony to make a handheld and that Nintendo has abandoned it. (Switch says hi)

Regardless, Sony can make a vr system but it's "too hard" to make a hybrid handheld? You've moved onto the realm of absurd here.
It would be far more popular than vr and be far more supported software wise.

Switch is not an hybrid console. It's a portable with an HDMI output

You get 720p exclusives on the Switch

I don't want Sony to make an home console with shitty hardware

mckmas8808

Ummmm....dude........ Nintendo ONLY has the Switch because it's a hybrid. Did you forget that Sony is currently selling a current video game device called the Playstation 5? Where would a hybrid system fit in?

THE DUCK

Ummmm....dude........ Nintendo ONLY has the Switch because it's a hybrid. Did you forget that Sony is currently selling a current video game device called the Playstation 5? Where would a hybrid system fit in?

Just like the series S fits in, or a pro console, it's not nearly the issue you are making it out to be. It's happened 3 times already in the last 2 generations and once by Sony themselves. 2 skews is fine.

THE DUCK

Switch is not an hybrid console. It's a portable with an HDMI output

You get 720p exclusives on the Switch

I don't want Sony to make an home console with shitty hardware

Lol, it's always been a hybrid and the polls flush that out. Switch is 9 year old hardware, don't be so dramatic.

THE DUCK

So Switch 2 will run PS5-quality games right?

Switch is 6 years old not 9 and it sucked even in 2017

Pretty damn close, at a lower resolution of course. We already have an announcement of a portable that's twice the power of steam deck.

And the switch x1 chip is pretty much 9 year old tech, it was designed and developed in 2014-2015. It was released in 2015 on
01/05/2015 = its 3014 days old. Definately closer to 9 than 6.

mckmas8808

Just like the series S fits in, or a pro console, it's not nearly the issue you are making it out to be. It's happened 3 times already in the last 2 generations and once by Sony themselves. 2 skews is fine.

But you can't make a PS5 level hardware system in a portable. It's literally impossible lol

But you can't make a PS5 level hardware system in a portable. It's literally impossible lol

I mean it's not that hard to get...

Give me an example of a portable hardware ever released that was on par with the related home console in the same generation...

Never happened

Last edited:
Top Bottom