• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Insider Gaming: Sony’s next Playstation Handheld (not a cloud-streaming device)

Why not just use a phone for this purpose? Especially if it doesn't do cloud.....
A ps5 remote play handheld could make use of the mobile network I think. But the benefit could be dualsense control and very low price. If it doesn't run games itself it could easily be under $100. Also you need not necessarily need a ps5, as it is conceivable multiplayer games could be hosted in some ps5 and output to a few portable handhelds.

A ps5 remote play handheld could make use of the mobile network I think. But the benefit could be dualsense control and very low price. If it doesn't run games itself it could easily be under $100. Also you need not necessarily need a ps5, as it is conceivable multiplayer games could be hosted in some ps5 and output to a few portable handhelds.

This device NEEDS a PS5

Perrott

Gold Member
Last December I bought a Vita and, for the first time, got to experience the benefits of remote play. I played Yakuza: Like a Dragon and Bloodborne on it, and the experience was amazing in spite of the Vita's lack of L2/L3 and R2/R3 buttons.

That's why the idea of a dedicated remote play handheld device with ALL the buttons and features from the DualSense controller and a big ass screen... sounds great.

Kokoloko85

You know the price of steam deck right? You know how long the battery last to play PS4 quality games?

The value of that thing sucks big time

What are you suggesting is a complicated and expensive product when it can be done better and cheaper using remote play
But no1 cares About remote play.
Yeah they should wait and invest in better battery life, give it a year or 2 Instead of remote play.

Switch also has terrible battery life. Like 2.1/2 hours for BOTW when I bought it, still sells bucket loads

But no1 cares About remote play.
Yeah they should wait and invest in better battery life, give it a year or 2 Instead of remote play.

Switch also has terrible battery life. Like 2.1/2 hours for BOTW when I bought it, still sells bucket loads

Switch sells because it has exclusive software that you can play only on that tablet...

Nobody buys a Switch to play third-party games

Last edited:
This device NEEDS a PS5
My point is it doesn't necessarily need to be your very own ps5, depending on how it is designed. The ps5s of others could host coop and noncoop multiplayer and share their compute.

Even single player could potentially be used with others ps5s. Sony could give ps store credits for sharing ps5 compute with others.

Last edited:
My point is it doesn't necessarily need to be your very own ps5, depending on how it is designed. The ps5s of others could host coop and noncoop multiplayer and share their compute.

Even single player could potentially be used with others ps5s. Sony could give ps store credits for sharing ps5 compute with others.

I don't think Sony would allow multiplayer with only one PS5 connected, but it's too soon to tell

Kokoloko85

Switch sells because it has exclusive software that you can play only on that tablet...

Nobody buys a Switch to play third-party games

Well 3rd party games like SMT, Octopath, Triangle Strategy are still good games that people buy, like myself.

People would be interested in playing Spiderman 2, GTA 6, GT7, Fifa, RE4, Tekken, Death Stranding 2 on a portable

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Why do some of you guys still think that power only helps resolution?
It doesn't - but we already know what a '1080p equivalent' of the PS5 power is - it's called the Series S.
That said - same applies to this as any portable XBox ideas that aren't literally a 1:1 match of a Series SKU in handheld form factor. If it requires porting/patching of games to run (and 1/4 resolution change would require exactly that) - it will miss out on a sizeable portion of the library (and by extension - be seen as the weak value proposition to the potential consumers).

This seems like a terrible idea. This will do slighly better than psvr2 but that's not saying much. It needs to be a dedicated device not some remote bullcrap.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
It doesn't - but we already know what a '1080p equivalent' of the PS5 power is - it's called the Series S.
That said - same applies to this as any portable XBox ideas that aren't literally a 1:1 match of a Series SKU in handheld form factor. If it requires porting/patching of games to run (and 1/4 resolution change would require exactly that) - it will miss out on a sizeable portion of the library (and by extension - be seen as the weak value proposition to the potential consumers).

I'm curious to see how true this is once all games aren't cross-gen anymore.

I'd buy it for $200 or less if it has all the haptics/triggers. I'd just use it as a handheld to use around my house.
Right now I have a backbone and an ipad/control combo, and neither is a great remote play solution imo.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I'm curious to see how true this is once all games aren't cross-gen anymore.

As long as it has a big block of memory and basically the same architecture (which isn't hard at this point tech wise) it should be even easier than series S ports, even ones that aren't cross gen.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
As long as it has a big block of memory and basically the same architecture (which isn't hard at this point tech wise) it should be even easier than series S ports, even ones that aren't cross gen.

Which again, will be basically impossible to do in a handheld. At least in 2023 or 2024.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
The Vita was perfect for streaming PS4. Some issues with reading fonts and having to work around not having L2/R2 as actual triggers.

I’d like a PS Deck. One thing I don’t want to do is copy my auth session from PSN just to get it to work on the Deck. That’s how two factor gets hacked. I remote play on my phone sometimes, like the Diablo IV beta. It’s serviceable, but I miss the Vita remote play.

I didn't hear this new until now.

I wonder how credible the source is because if Sony where going to release a handheld they would have the best chance at market performance by releasing before or around the same time as Nintendo's next handheld.

My issue with believing this is to do that they would have to build interest in the product, show off the games launching with it and releasing soon after, and have a whole marketing campaign arranged. Nintendo is expected to launch or announce their new console this year. This would mean Sony would have announced console by now if this is real.

Sony hasn't said anything so I believe this is false. There's no way Sony would release a handheld late after the competition without build up.

Perrott

Gold Member
I didn't hear this new until now.

I wonder how credible the source is because if Sony where going to release a handheld they would have the best chance at market performance by releasing before or around the same time as Nintendo's next handheld.

My issue with believing this is to do that they would have to build interest in the product, show off the games launching with it and releasing soon after, and have a whole marketing campaign arranged. Nintendo is expected to launch or announce their new console this year. This would mean Sony would have announced console by now if this is real.

Sony hasn't said anything so I believe this is false. There's no way Sony would release a handheld late after the competition without build up.
Dude, you've gotten it all wrong.

This rumored device is a remote play accessory to the PlayStation 5. That's it. It has no proper gaming hardware, no games, absolutely nothing along those lines. Just an 8-inch 1080p LCD touchscreen, alongside the full range of buttons and features (Adaptive Triggers, Haptic Feedback) found in the DualSense controller.

As a product, its much closer to being compared to the DualSense Edge controller than to being the successor to the PlayStation Vita.

GAF machine

A screened DualSense that supports remote play, but doesn't support Plus Premium streaming when they're essentially the same thing (i.e. game streaming) makes no sense. It's also senseless because a remote play only device undermines one of SIE's game streaming goals, which is to "maximize off-console opportunity". Then there's mobile. SIE can't possibly think it's sensible to release a portable device that can't run their own mobile games.

Nah, there has to be more to Q Lite than remote play. SIE didn't refile an 'abandoned' 2006 patent application in 2016 for Ken Kutatagi's "game controller" just to make a remote play only handheld. I think Q Lite will turn out to be a device for remote play, cloud and mobile gaming; with the added functions of a motion sensing universal remote to control various electronics in the home (detailed in entries [0039], [0045] and [0046] of this related application).

A feature he penned for the console was that it would support two of his game/universal remote controllers as traditional gamepads, or 2-player remote play (detailed in entry [0042] of the related application). I bet this feature is in reserve for PS5.

Last edited:

Perrott

Gold Member
PlayStation is in trouble.

When a studio that's been working for five years on their game - Firewalk's Concord - shows up only with a 30s CG, then there's fucking trouble.

This shit was unacceptable: announcing Haven's 2029 game before Factions, showing a movie trailer at a game showcase, having all that third-party shovelware, no date on Spider-Man 2, no Stellar Blade (a 2023 game, let me remind you)... terrible, their worst ever game event.

Zannegan

PlayStation is in trouble.

When a studio that's been working for five years on their game - Firewalk's Concord - shows up only with a 30s CG, then there's fucking trouble.

This shit was unacceptable: announcing Haven's 2029 game before Factions, showing a movie trailer at a game showcase, having all that third-party shovelware, no date on Spider-Man 2, no Stellar Blade (a 2023 game, let me remind you)... terrible, their worst ever game event.
I wouldn't say worst ever, not by a long shot. Sony's E3 2006 is in a whole other league.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
odsQjIw.png

Well, it was close enough.

Trilobit

I've been looking at the white PSP, PSP Go and PS Vita and they're all so gorgeous. I didn't but any of those and I wouldn't buy a Vita 2, but I'd seriously enjoy the pictures of it and be very happy for people who'd buy it.

Last edited:

vivftp

Considering they're using Android in Portal, they can definitely enable Cloud gaming. I think Sony doesn't want to offer a $199 device that could make buying a PS5 redundant ... at least not yet.

There is no Android cloud streaming solution for PlayStation at this point in time. Until that day arrives there is no option to add it to the Portal. Many do suspect they are working on an Android app as that can be used on phones, tablets, Bravia TVs, Afeela EVs and the Portal.

They only just launched the revamped cloud service with PS5 servers a couple weeks ago and had to do a tiered rollout on just the PS5 because it was a large undertaking. Further support for more devices will no doubt come in time.

Top Bottom