• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming September 2016 | I don't have unlimited money

Pachimari

Bandai Namco have today announced God Eater Online for smartphones.

9EPgSqt.jpg

Matt Frost

As of september, this is my GOTY list...

Leap Day - absolutely the best use of the vertical screen...
Redungeon - dungeon crawler done the Nitrome way... style, oomph, awe,...
Crashlands - better than No Man's Sky...
Lost Socks - stunning, fun, longlasting, awesome...
Blitz Breaker - best twitch platformer of 2016...
Reigns - perfection on the go...
Shadow Bug - ninja slashing smashing cutting edge

Options:

Road Not Taken: after playing a few years, I found it very repetitive. You always start in the same area, with the same quest, on the same place, same dialog, same matches... weared off very fast for me... very very fast...

Legend of the Skyfish: So far is good, but doesnt stand out as much as it should and doesnt have that "I need to keep playing" vibe it started with...

Hyperburner: Loosk good, moves good, feel good... but is not doing it for me, needs an extra kick...

Severed: I am both bored with it and completely stuck behind three locked doors, two reasons that make me think about uninstalling it and never bother to come back...

Samorost 3: Need to complete it but so far it seems to be as good as Machinarium...

Pachimari

Another text adventure game KOMRAD has hit the App Store.

It's set during the Cold War, and has been developed by Sentient Play. It cost $2.99 and has no IAP.

Other games released today
- Zombie King
- Paul Pixel

And if you fear that Papers, Please has been removed from the App Store, it'll only be temporary until they fix an iOS 10 crash.

Also from the creators of the Dictator series comes My Majesty, where you get to rule in the Middle Ages. There'll be six factions, and you'll get to meet historical figures and build your own castle. The game will hit the App Store on September 27.

Here's a trailer for you.

Lara Croft Go is on sale for 99c.

Pachimari

How are you liking the SK beta?
Man I'm getting dizzy with tilt controls lol. Nah I think it is fun, and I like the feel. Although I haven't actually played against others online yet, as nobody seem to join. So I just drive against the AI. What is your impression of SK?

Jamesways

Man I'm getting dizzy with tilt controls lol. Nah I think it is fun, and I like the feel. Although I haven't actually played against others online yet, as nobody seem to join. So I just drive against the AI. What is your impression of SK?

The more I play the more I like it. I have it on my 5S and on an iPad Air. It looks so much better on the iPad. I think it's failry easy to control (I'm used to tilt from Real Racing 3 and SBK16) and I do like playing with the different tire compounds. I haven't really gotten into the tuning and setups much yet, seems like there's a lot to tweak and there's no practice mode to use for testing.
The AI is really easy some races. I've gone against some slow people and some extremely fast people too. The real time TOD and weather is a great feature, but playing at night after work it's in the middle of the night on all the tracks.

I do think the cartoon art style and graphics are at odds with the serious sim approach of everything else though. And I wish there were more options to turn off the music and HUD.

I'll definitely pick it up when it's out. It'll be fun to play with the customization in the full game.

Pachimari

In my desperation, I have gone ahead and asked Telltale Games about the iOS release of Batman.

Yeah, I'll pick up the full game too. I definitely have to put more time into the beta though. I haven't really played around with the different tires yet, or customizing and such. Only just fueled up my kart and repaired my tires.

PittaGAF

My iPhone is bricked :( but testing iOS 10 from iPad.
Predictive multi language keyboard support is the best feature ever for me.
Works incredibly well.

EDIT: iPhone unbricked via iTunes (LOL, it was years since I last used iTunes).
Now doing an iCloud backup just in case...(last was 3 days ago, no biggie, but you never know).

PittaGAF

Did the iOS 10 upgrade brick your iPhone??

Yes, like millions other according to internet (mostly almost all who updated in the first minutes...Apple released an official statement saying that now the problem is solved).
Anyway all is solved now.

Pachimari

Predictive multi language keyboard support is the best feature ever for me.
Works incredibly well.
This would be the most useful feature to me too, although I won't update to iOS 10.

I didn't get my Batman game today Telltale! Strange how there's apparently adverts in tv showing it's available for download. Maybe it'll turn up tomorrow.

PittaGAF

This would be the most useful feature to me too, although I won't update to iOS 10.

I didn't get my Batman game today Telltale! Strange how there's apparently adverts in tv showing it's available for download. Maybe it'll turn up tomorrow.

I'm amazed by how well it works...switch between English, French and Italian (generally not the easiest language) without any issue!!!

zukalous

Neo Member
Hey I know it is just barely September but I was wondering if you all know of anything big coming out next month? I am an gamedev who is done with my game and it is Halloween-ish themed but I am afraid that I could potentially release it next to something huge.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Rule of thumb with Telltale games, don't touch until season 1 is out. It'll be:

1) cheaper, likley episode 1 free
2) maybe the bugs have been fixed

Pachimari

With Batman I'm too excited to get going. But with the rest of them I have only bought the full seasons long after they were finished, cause I never had any big interest in them. I didn't like Tales From the Borderlands, but The Walking Dead S1 and The Wolf Among Us seems alright so far. Just slightly though.

autoduelist

Serious question...

I don't pay too much attention to mobile games, because I have a ps4/vita/pc combo... but I still buy some for my Android tablet. In fact, I just bought Dungeon Warfare due to this thread, and would have bought Solitairica but it doesn't seem to be on Android.

Anyway.

I recently stumbled upon a free game. It's a great game, and it's totally free. However.... it's an exact clone of a game I played over a decade ago [and came out in 2001] called Slay. It's a strategy / conquest game [think risk, but with very different rules] and this clone is, well, an exact clone mechanically. Maybe even code base, for all I know.

So my question -- has there been any sort of crack down on this sort of thing? Should I contact the original dev and tell them, or will it just potentially make them angry when they realize they can't do anything?

I don't know if this is the correct thread [ie, mobile discussion] or if it belongs elsewhere, or its own thread.

PittaGAF

Loving the iOS10 update but I do miss the ability to stalk on my friends and see what they are playing or see who among my friends has a certain game.

killercow

iOS 10 feels way faster on my Air 2! Finally, an update that doesn't slow every part of the OS... Apart from that, it feels like a really small update for iPad users though, I'm hoping for more in iOS 11.

iOS 10 feels way faster on my Air 2! Finally, an update that doesn't slow every part of the OS... Apart from that, it feels like a really small update for iPad users though, I'm hoping for more in iOS 11.

There's some neat springboard tweaks they did that make everything more responsive. But the os is more an upgrade for phone over iPad. It's been how they do this for a while now. 10.1 will have iPad specific stuff.

killercow

There's some neat springboard tweaks they did that make everything more responsive. But the os is more an upgrade for phone over iPad. It's been how they do this for a while now. 10.1 will have iPad specific stuff.

Well the .1 updates are generally minor stuff. So far only iOS 9 felt like a massive upgrade for iPad users.

I recently stumbled upon a free game. It's a great game, and it's totally free. However.... it's an exact clone of a game I played over a decade ago [and came out in 2001] called Slay. It's a strategy / conquest game [think risk, but with very different rules] and this clone is, well, an exact clone mechanically. Maybe even code base, for all I know.

So my question -- has there been any sort of crack down on this sort of thing? Should I contact the original dev and tell them, or will it just potentially make them angry when they realize they can't do anything?

I don't know if this is the correct thread [ie, mobile discussion] or if it belongs elsewhere, or its own thread.
When I worked at Apple I had a number of clones removed from the App Store. In those situations they were open source software that had been renamed, changed in a minor way, and was being sold.

So if it does share the code, without permission from the developer, then it can be removed.

Otherwise, if it's a clone then that's for the developer of the original game to take up with Apple or their own lawyers. If it's graphically and gameplay identical then Apple can remove it. But if the differences require judgement then you have to go legal.

Its actually find to make as game inspired by another. They grey area is if its a direct copy with no changes.

Rlan

mHnfDLa.jpg

Yay! New update to Doomsday Clicker!

- 10 Brand new Roomies - the weirdest ones yet!
- New Bonuses! You will now get sweet Trophies and Bonuses by getting all Silver, Gold or Platinum rooms!
- Like everyone else today, sweet iOS stickers!

Download it here!

PittaGAF

Those seem like pretty impressive numbers for a paid mobile game.

PREMIUM MOBILE GAMES ARE DEAD :p

So happy.
As a premium games user (I play free to play games of course but I never paid for consumable iaps and probably never will) I'm so glad this (and many other cases) demonstrates that a clever idea, suited to mobile, well realized is still viable.
You maybe won't do billions in 6 months, but you still can earn a respectable amount of money and continue working on what you love, instead of doing monetization researches (something now probably only for bigger organizations) and cloning the clone of the clone for the 10000000th time.

Top Bottom