• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming September 2016 | I don't have unlimited money

PittaGAF

Thanks Pitta! No, not looking for anything specific - just new to the whole genre and wanted to sample a few. Those suggestions will get me started very nicely. Thanks! (And thanks also, Ive been lurking for a few years now and always enjoy whenever you post.)

:)
Those listed are my fav ones minus the strategy ones, but keep in mind I like the so called ameritrash games (I really dislike this term) and I'm not that into euro games.
I prefer highly thematic boardgames over complex rule set and high strategy ones.
But the list can go on forever.
If you happen to like the main genre but you see you prefer certain mechanics over others (like let's say....card games or positional games or story heavy or whatever) just say and we will narrow down the list.

melike75

Neo Member
:)

I prefer highly thematic boardgames over complex rule set and high strategy ones.
But the list can go on forever.

I think that would be me also - 'll let you know if I need things narrowed down but those are more than enough for a great starting point.

Thanks Pitta! No, not looking for anything specific - just new to the whole genre and wanted to sample a few. Those suggestions will get me started very nicely. Thanks! (And thanks also, Ive been lurking for a few years now and always enjoy whenever you post.)

I'd also recommend Ticket to Ride, which is also great for pass and play gaming. My wife and I were stuck in a cabin for a night, and it played great. Also, it doesn't get much love, but I highly recommend Splendor. It has a great single player implementation and I'm surprised I don't see it get more love.

Other games that translate well to iOS:
Patchwork
Sentinels of the Multiverse
Small World
Suburbia
Agricola
Carcassonne
Lords of Waterdeep
Galaxy Trucker
Twilight Struggle
Baseball Highlights 2045
Xenoshyft: Onslaught

And recently, Sushi Go and Castles of Mad King Ludwig were released for the iOS, but I haven't tried them yet.

I just got into boardgames myself. I prefer the tactility of real life board gaming, but I have a busy life and family obligations that make a regular board gaming night difficult to arrange. iOS boardgames are great way to scratch that itch. Now if they'd only put X-Wings Miniatures and Imperial Assault on iOS...

Retroid

Having had an iPhone 4 as my phone for the past 6 years has made me miss out on pretty much any game since 2012 (I stayed on iOS 5) so I'm looking for recommendations of things I might have missed over the years as I just got a 7. Any recommendations (preferably of games people might have forgotten/stopped talking about but are awesome)?

Having had an iPhone 4 as my phone for the past 6 years has made me miss out on pretty much any game since 2012 (I stayed on iOS 5) so I'm looking for recommendations of things I might have missed over the years as I just got a 7. Any recommendations (preferably of games people might have forgotten/stopped talking about but are awesome)?
I literally got into mobile games in 2012. You have an insane backlog to catch up on

Check out these threads
Pre-2015 - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=921676
2015 - http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1160360
Hidden Gems - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1224256

And the OTs of the 2016 threads for monthly recommendations

Most recently Reigns, Solitairica, and Blitz Breaker, and next week's Sorcery 4

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
still pretty much only playing Hearthstone & Vainglory on my phone.

they're just too good to tear away from.

PittaGAF

I just got into boardgames myself. I prefer the tactility of real life board gaming, but I have a busy life and family obligations that make a regular board gaming night difficult to arrange. iOS boardgames are great way to scratch that itch. Now if they'd only put X-Wings Miniatures and Imperial Assault on iOS...

I guess you are aware that next year FFG will have their Imperial Assault app in the AppStore, similar to what Road to Legend did for Descent (basically an AI Overlord).

And while not a proper digital port of X-Wing The miniature game on iOS (for which I prey every night)....but I have fun with this often to play solo or coop with my son (you need the physical game).
Works like a charm on iPad.

http://xws-bench.github.io/bench/#

Retroid

I literally got into mobile games in 2012. You have an insane backlog to catch up on

Check out these threads
Pre-2015 - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=921676
2015 - http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1160360
Hidden Gems - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1224256

And the OTs of the 2016 threads for monthly recommendations

Most recently Reigns, Solitairica, and Blitz Breaker, and next week's Sorcery 4

Looks like I've missed out on a lot! Thanks!

PittaGAF

Lol. I've never heard that term. As an American I am amused.

I discovered the term on BGG, seem dispregiative to me but apparently many use it freely.
Means, as far as I understood, a highly thematic boardgame with doses of luck involved (cards,dice...)...things you can see from, let's say, FFG, as opposed to euro games, more abstract.
I actually happen to love apparently ameritrash :)

https://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Ameritrash

Matt Frost

Playing Hyperburner... at the last world... game is good, but needs a hook to reel you in, something extra. Too barebones at the moment

Also playing Legend of the Skyfish, just completed the first world a beated the first boss... so far, world 1 was really repetitive that relied on 1 mechanic. World 2 already presented a new one but I hope it introduces more... is almost 2017... lately I prefer shorter more condensated adventures like Inside who doesnt repeat itself rather than longer adventures that exaust mechanics.

Drek

Anyone know if/how you can family share the season pass of The Wolf Among Us? It lists as family share-able on the iOS detail but can't get it to work.

awp69

Still loving the hell out of Ember. Had to switch to my 6S+ because I'm starting to suspect more and more that some of my control issues with some games are due to a screen replacement I had about six months ago on my mini 2. And it was affecting the gameplay on Ember at times.

Anyway, it'a a tad small on my eyes on the 6S+ but still very much playable (unlike Titan Quest which I do not recommend on anything but a mini or full size iPad).

Everything just is so polished and works perfectly for mobile. Still not backing away from my earlier comment that this is more enjoyable to play than ports like Baldur's Gate. Being made at the same time as PC and mobile clearly shows.

The combat is an utter joy. Graphics and occasional voice acting are top notch for an indie game. It just all clicks and another game to add to my GoTY contenders.

Oynox

Does anyone know if iOS 10 broke MFi support in some sort? Horizon Chase and Rush Rally cannot recognize that I am playing with my Stratus :/

Edit: restarted phone, working fine now

Ortus Regni is also a very good board/card game

Completely free on iOS

Lovely presentation too
Table-view.jpg

PittaGAF

Ortus Regni is great, but personally I wouldn't start diving in board games with it.
It's immensely complicated and unless you know what you are doing, it's immensely frustrating, even after having watched several YouTube videos on how to play.

If you are familiar with the real life game or have the time and patience to learn how to play (with resources outside the actual game, unless in the last months they didn't added a proper real tutorial that teach you not only what is what, but how to effectively use it) its a great title, and a very polished one too.

It didn't click with me before for some reason, but I'm playing Horizon Chase again now, and it's fantastic. I like how the key to success is controlling your speed and smart movement on the track to overtake opponents without bumping them. The sense of speed is excellent, and the racing is surprisingly aggressive

colinp

Banned
Real iOS 10 talk: why the hell does some downloaded music in the Downloaded Music section show up at the top and some show up below a buch of random playlists that are not on my iPhone? Aaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Matt Frost

Almost completed Shadow Bug and Hyperburner... and going at it with Legend of the Skyfish... and completed Blown Away: Secret of the Wind...

Shadow Bug is amazing. Is slashing perfection. Levels are fun, boss fights are epic, controls flawlessly, indie love. Slashing top.

Blown Away is a simple runner with 1 premise but works outstandily well... one of the best auto-runners ever, and the best at teletransportation.

Hyperburner gets better at what it does, but still needs an extra hook. Boson X is superior in every single way to it

Legend of the Skyfish is opening a little bit on its gameplay, getting better and meatier... but still, lack the extra oomph, like Hyperburner. Both great games, lacking the special something that would make them must gets.

Matt Frost

Hyperburner... complete!

Nice: Sense of speed, graphics, first person view is scary, the levels are nice, nice ships, good design. Is a nice cruise.

Bad: Way too easy, last stages in particular... too easy. Beated the last level on the first try... Endless mode should mix and make for segments instead of offering single endless levels of every stage.

Conlusion: They shouldnt be afraid to made it more difficult. Everythig else is brilliant.

Now to finish the last two levels of Shadow Bug... finishing up games... doing things :D

what is this?
One of the best and most unique puzzle-platformers in recent years
Mushroom 11 is a challenging physics-based puzzle platformer that turns the typical genre gameplay on its head by putting you in control of an amorphous fungus that can mold and shift into any shape. Each chapter introduces new mechanics and dangers, always exploring new uses of the mushroom's amorphous design. The unique gameplay was Mushroom 11's initial hook, but discovering what new hazards and puzzle elements the developers would introduce next was what keep me intrigued throughout my six-hour playthrough.
Yaj2ujW.gif
O235AyJ.gif
W7cdl5b.gif

Turns out soon by dev standards is early 2017. But still, cool to see that the mobile version is in the final stretch
I'm always weary when devs say "soon". The Card Thief devs for example have had "coming soon" on the game site for months now but it isn't coming till November. A grain of salt is usually required for the word "soon"

Donut Games, creator of such amazing games like the mighty Bubble Pig (serisouly, their best game), metroidvania Traps N Gemstones or the awesome Monkey Ninja comes a new game, Vulture Island!!! an open game platformer. Looks epic.

When I had my iPod touch 2nd gen I had almost all their games. Still remember the opening jingle where they whisper donut games.

Matt Frost

When I had my iPod touch 2nd gen I had almost all their games. Still remember the opening jingle where they whisper donut games.

Yeah Donut Games are here since the inception of the AppStore, delivering solid games throughout their existence. Everyhing they make is good. Bubble Pig and Moneky Ninja are both must buys IMO. Venture Island surely is awesome as well.

Top Bottom