• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming September 2016 | I don't have unlimited money

Pachimari

Hmm, seems like Ember feels like a lite CRPG experience, so I might look elsewhere. Haven't gotten Baldur's Gate yet but don't know how well it controls on iPad.

I started up Hero Emblems again, and it's so good. I never got far and seem to have lost my save, so I'm starting over from the beginning. I'm cruising through the first few stages. Definitely like the artstyle of Hero Emblems II better, but the one in the first one isn't so bad.

awp69

Oz: Broken Kingdom, which was showcased at the Apple event, is also out in the US. Looks like F2P garbage anyway, which is ashame when there are so many great premium games they could have shown off.

Picked up Ember because even if it is a "lite" CRPG, always love a good hack n slash and the positive feedback on Steam pushed me over the edge.

Not sure if I'll even get a chance to play it tonight but if I do, I'll try to post some impressions.

nampad

My iPhone is bricked :( but testing iOS 10 from iPad.
Predictive multi language keyboard support is the best feature ever for me.
Works incredibly well.

EDIT: iPhone unbricked via iTunes (LOL, it was years since I last used iTunes).
Now doing an iCloud backup just in case...(last was 3 days ago, no biggie, but you never know).

They have finally added that feature to the keyboard. My old Blackberry already had that and I sorely missed it when my company switched phones (well, the Iphone has a lot of other advantages).

Overall, I thought the Blackberry OS was pretty well and still had some features I thought were way better then what iOS offers now. Anyways, the new iMessage is nice :)

Do both users have to download the games for iMessage if you want to play them or is there some magic?

PittaGAF

They have finally added that feature to the keyboard. My old Blackberry already had that and I sorely missed it when my company switched phones (well, the Iphone has a lot of other advantages).

Overall, I thought the Blackberry OS was pretty well and still had some features I thought were way better then what iOS offers now. Anyways, the new iMessage is nice :)

Do both users have to download the games for iMessage if you want to play them or is there some magic?

Depends.
Simple images like the Mario stickers, no...they see it.
Everything animated, no....both need iOS 10.

Any impressions of Ember? I want to get into CRPGs but Balders Gate was a little too confusing and slow for me, this have any notable differences from that?

Any impressions of Ember? I want to get into CRPGs but Balders Gate was a little too confusing and slow for me, this have any notable differences from that?
Haven't bought it yet, but from what I've read, it's more streamlined CRPG-lite. Three-person party, real time with pause, less complex stats, drag skills to enemies to use them, etc.

Sounds like it's kind of the game you're looking for

Twisted Lines - $2.99

QdM05kS.png

awp69

Haven't bought it yet, but from what I've read, it's more streamlined CRPG-lite. Three-person party, real time with pause, less complex stats, drag skills to enemies to use them, etc.

Sounds like it's kind of the game you're looking for

I've only played a little so far but it seems really good. It is less complex and easier to manage things than a game like BG or Icewind Dale. Honestly those games kind of overwhelm me a bit, especially on mobile.

Oddly, I'm running into issues running the game on my iPhone 6S+ running iOS 10.0.1. It crashes during the opening cinematic and I can't get past it.

So now I've got it on my iPad Mini 2 running iOS 9.3.5 now and it runs beautifully. It's better suited for the larger screen anyway but have been trying to make use of my new phone more. Hopefully they'll put out a fix soon.

Hmm, tried starting Ember on my iPad mini 3 but it keeps freezing in the opening credits. Checking TA forums and apparently this is happening to more than a few people. It's on 9.3.5 so it shouldn't be a software problem. Hopefully the dev can get an update out quick to fix this.

awp69

BTW, the iPad Mini 2 is supposed to be compatible with iOS 10 but strangely, I only got the 9.3.5 upgrade yesterday and it still doesn't pull up iOS 10 when checking for updates.

Is anyone here running 10 on the mini 2?

BTA

Reigns sold more than 600.000 copies, so new adventures and cards are coming.

I'm happy.

Awesome! That'll be a good reason to return to it, though I'm pretty sure I'll just be hunting for the new content and not playing for long lives.

Meanwhile: thanks to all the talk about Picross 3D Round 2 I decided to finally try playing a Picross game. I have so many other games to finish and yet I can't stop playing Paint It Back. Help.

Xenoflare

BTW, the iPad Mini 2 is supposed to be compatible with iOS 10 but strangely, I only got the 9.3.5 upgrade yesterday and it still doesn't pull up iOS 10 when checking for updates.

Is anyone here running 10 on the mini 2?

You just need to wait it out, Mini 2 runs on an A7, of course it's going to get iOS 10

God Apple please update your ipad line up, I want a mini that runs on an A9 at least.

Pretty annoyed they never fixed the issue with the Finding Dory event in Disney Crossy Road. Hopefully there will be some way to get those characters again later.

Pachimari

How is The Quest?

I'm really contemplating making it my next big purchase. It looks to have a lot of content and things to do.

awp69

The more I play Ember, the more impressed I am with it. Honestly, as far as mobile RPGs go, I'm enjoying this more than Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale. Those games are just too UI heavy for mobile and I get trounced in battles (probably because I suck too).

Here the controls and UI work wonderfully. I actually was not a fan of the pause system in Dragon Age games but it feels better here so I'm loving the combat a whole lot more.

Runs beautifully and looks great on my iPad Mini 2 on 9.3.5 (there's a fix coming for crashes like are happening on my 6S+ running 10.0.1).

Overall, I'd say this is easily one of the best RPGs on iOS.

It isn't an ARPG but the real time combat (with the pause) still gives it that feel. Kind of a good compromise between something like Titan Quest and BG. And being made from the ground up for mobile, better than either of those iOS adaptations.

heringer

The more I play Ember, the more impressed I am with it. Honestly, as far as mobile RPGs go, I'm enjoying this more than Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale. Those games are just too UI heavy for mobile and I get trounced in battles (probably because I suck too).

Here the controls and UI work wonderfully. I actually was not a fan of the pause system in Dragon Age games but it feels better here so I'm loving the combat a whole lot more.

Runs beautifully and looks great on my iPad Mini 2 on 9.3.5 (there's a fix coming for crashes like are happening on my 6S+ running 10.0.1).

Overall, I'd say this is easily one of the best RPGs on iOS.

It isn't an ARPG but the real time combat (with the pause) still gives it that feel. Kind of a good compromise between something like Titan Quest and BG. And being made from the ground up for mobile, better than either of those iOS adaptations.

Glad to know. I'm mostly interested because it seems to be a streamlined version of those classic games, so it probably works better on mobile. Can't wait to try it tonight!

Decided too hell with it and downloaded Ember onto my 6+ until the patch. Not the ideal way to play probably but it still plays well and I'm enjoying the game so far. Not using the pauses as much as I probably should be but the realtime combat is getting the job done anyway. Love the fact that you can save at anytime which helps for burst sessions. Thinking I'm going to love this game.

awp69

Glad to know. I'm mostly interested because it seems to be a streamlined version of those classic games, so it probably works better on mobile. Can't wait to try it tonight!

Yes. It absolutely works better than the games I mentioned. I'd argue also better than KOTOR (on mobile).

This was a really pleasant surprise coming out of nowhere (at least I had no knowledge of it before it released).

awp69

Decided too hell with it and downloaded Ember onto my 6+ until the patch. Not the ideal way to play probably but it still plays well and I'm enjoying the game so far. Not using the pauses as much as I probably should be but the realtime combat is getting the job done anyway. Love the fact that you can save at anytime which helps for burst sessions. Thinking I'm going to love this game.

So you got past the initial cinematic? Are you on iOS 10?

I'd like to play on my 6S+. But can't until that patch.

Also hoping they implement iCloud (my only real complaint thus far).

So you got past the initial cinematic? Are you on iOS 10?

I'd like to play on my 6S+. But can't until that patch.

Also hoping they implement iCloud (my only real complaint thus far).
Nope, 9.3.5

The devs said on the TA forums that an iCloud update was not a high priority for them since they are still trying to fix bugs on both PC and mobile and also working on new content.

awp69

Nope, 9.3.5

The devs said on the TA forums that an iCloud update was not a high priority for them since they are still trying to fix bugs on both PC and mobile and also working on new content.

Yeah, just saw that.

And I guess the crash must only happen on certain devices with iOS 10. Weird. Anyway, good that a fix is on its way.

Pachimari

Hmm, I think I rather want a PC port full on CRPG package, than a streamlined one designed partly for mobile at the moment. So might look into Baldur's Gate, although I just don't know how good the lore is.

Are there any reports of the new Dragon Quest VII remake (3DS) coming to mobile?

heringer

Hmm, I think I rather want a PC port full on CRPG package, than a streamlined one designed partly for mobile at the moment. So might look into Baldur's Gate, although I just don't know how good the lore is.

Are there any reports of the new Dragon Quest VII remake (3DS) coming to mobile?

It's out in Japan. I wouldn't hold my breath for a US release though, considering Nintendo pretty much paid for the localization. Maybe in a couple of years depending on the deal they made.

okno

Y'all got me so excited about this feature, but I knew it was too good to be true :( Native Icelandic speaker, so I was hoping this worked across most languages, but as of now it's just across the more common ones (which is unfortunate, because the keyboard works very well at predicting Icelandic text when I use it). I'm sure they'll continue to update it over the coming months, but I can't wait for it to become more convenient for myself and other Icelanders.

melike75

Neo Member
Hey,
I'm really trying to get into boardgames ....which is hard since I work from home and am busy with the family all the time (plus I have no friends. Awww).
So I was wondering if anyone could recommend some good ios boardgames, specifically for 1 player?

PittaGAF

Hey,
I'm really trying to get into boardgames ....which is hard since I work from home and am busy with the family all the time (plus I have no friends. Awww).
So I was wondering if anyone could recommend some good ios boardgames, specifically for 1 player?

Elder Sign: Omens is IMHO still the best single player boardgame.
Talisman is great too (multiplayer takes too long).
BattleLore is great too, with a long single player campaign.
There are a ton of boardgames on iOS, covering many subgenres...from euro to ameritrash...depends on your tastes.
Are you looking for something more specific?

Also, for people with busy lives that want to play multiplayer boardgames, async is a must.
If you consider it, there are a ton of great other games, from Lost Cities to Carcassonne, from Ticket sto Ride to Ascension, Lords of Waterdeep...and the list can go on.
iOS (iPad in particular) is the proper home for digital boardgames.

Pachimari

Carcassonne is like the best async multiplayer boardgame out there. I also like Ticket to Ride of what I have played of it.

melike75

Neo Member
Elder Sign: Omens is IMHO still the best single player boardgame.
Talisman is great too (multiplayer takes too long).
BattleLore is great too, with a long single player campaign.
There are a ton of boardgames on iOS, covering many subgenres...from euro to ameritrash...depends on your tastes.
Are you looking for something more specific?

Also, for people with busy lives that want to play multiplayer boardgames, async is a must.
If you consider it, there are a ton of great other games, from Lost Cities to Carcassonne, from Ticket sto Ride to Ascension, Lords of Waterdeep...and the list can go on.
iOS (iPad in particular) is the proper home for digital boardgames.

Thanks Pitta! No, not looking for anything specific - just new to the whole genre and wanted to sample a few. Those suggestions will get me started very nicely. Thanks! (And thanks also, Ive been lurking for a few years now and always enjoy whenever you post.)

Top Bottom