• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Saints Row terrible?

Ogbert

Hello all,

Is the Saints Row remake genuinely terrible or is it, instead, a reasonably fun 15 hour distraction that was overly criticised for the sake of it?

It’s £26 on PS5 and I’m thinking of picking it up.

RareJordan

I ignored the reviews and bought it at launch. I played about 10 hours and I just kept feeling it was missing something.

Turns out what was missing was “fun”. It’s a game, but it’s not fun to play in any capacity. It’s also the most forgettable game I’ve ever played. I sold it, but If someone gave it to me for free I still wouldn’t finish it.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Milk Eww GIF by Way Nation

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
I bet there are better ways to spend your time.
And money!

I've worked it all out for him anyway, for a better time

On Amazon..

£8.93p, Claw hammer
£8.23p, P60 Sand paper
£2.00p, Bic female disposable razors (Use the female ones for more hair pulling)
£3.00, Hospital grade sanitizer spray

1st, shave you nuts with the razor
2nd, give a good firm rub down with the P60
3rd, apply a few hits with the hammer, claw part too
4th, clean up with the spray

Step 5, know you've had a better time than playing the new Saints Row and be pleased you have some change left over.

rofif

Banned
I've played only an hour of it.
It's a normal saints row game with less edge to it.
Seems like a 360 shooter. Nothing terrible but no experience with it.

I've got it for 10$ and seems good especially for that price.
The graphics and HDR are nice. Stuff explodes good. It's not the worst time to relax and put your mind on hold

It just seems shallow and void of good action. Everything here is fine and it's just more saints row... but it's not the same without classic characters maybe

Last edited:

Vandole

Well, I don't know what more I can say that all the other Rhodes scholars here haven't already said. It was at best a mediocre game, and there are no shortage of better open world games out there.

STARSBarry

Gold Member

Game was so bad it caused management to rethink how they greenlight new games.

Drew1440

The reboot is terrible, avoid it unless you like cringy millennial humor.
The first two are pretty good and can still be bought on the Xbox One/Series, they're even on sale:
Saints Row
Saints Row 2
Avoid the PC version of Saints Row 2, it's a horrible port and misses out DLC.

Nydius

Yes, it’s awful. It’s got 15 year old gameplay that’s repetitive as fuck but has none of the charm or goofiness of the old Saints Row games which covered up those shortcomings. The characters themselves are awful, the premise is dumb as hell (we cant afford our student loans so let’s make a gang to make Santa Ileso better… by murdering and extorting everyone!). The vehicle controls are pure ass.

About the only things I enjoyed from my playthrough were the fake National Park Service kiosks and the radio station being Weird Al “UHF” references.

Riky

$MSFT
Technically it's like an early last gen game, you can just about get a smooth experience with a VRR display but it still looks awful.
Some mindless fun to be had but it wears thin pretty quickly.

oji-san

Banned
Ummm terrible? no, but not great also, some will say not even good, i did manage to enjoy it in the end but it's totally mediocre.

Pros: it runs at 60fps on PS5 which is super important to me. Songs while driving can be awesome, there's on station i can't remember it's name that i like all the songs.
Gameplay loop is nice, there's isn't depth here but driving and shooting is nice.

Cons: it looks not so good and i had noticeable ghosting when MC moves, so graphically i wasn't satisfied.
Story and characters are meh.
Previous SR were better.

I got it for 30 bucks and it was ok i guess, 20 seems more like it.

Rambone

The game is fun to mess around with for a weekend but after that the novelty wears off quickly. The characters are mostly trash, although they have their moments. I think there is fun to be had in the game but its nothing you haven't done before. The games graphics are serviceable but you can definitely tell it was developed for last gen but it does run nice on the new consoles. $20-30 dollars seems like a fair price for the entire experience.

Drizzlehell

Banned
I wouldn't pick this up unless it was on gamepass or in ps plus. It could be a decent 15 hour distraction like you said but for a triple-A game it just doesn't look very good. I feel like it's another Crackdown 3 situation. Not a terrible game when you're playing it with zero expectations just to kill some time, but otherwise unexceptional in almost every way and not worth more than 5 bucks on sale.

Solarium

Neo Member
reboot is mediocre if that's what you're asking

not broken or unplayable, just a cringefest with really boring/outdated/bleh missions especially compared to past iterations within the series

NinjaBoiX

It’s REALLY poor, maybe try it for less than a tenner if you’re really curious but even then it’s a hard sell.

Awful game, shockingly put together.

Top Bottom