• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

After playing Saints Row 2022 for a bit, I must say...

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
UElaQIL.jpg

wIzziZ2.gif

I'm going to try it again, see how much they patched :messenger_tears_of_joy:
B31D2CA131C7A3EFE051BB3EDCF80CD5FD8A722F

3.jpg

wIzziZ2.gif

Valt7786

Look, obviously people are free to enjoy what they want, you enjoy this version of saints row, good for you.

It is however, dogshit and a massive spit in the face of all the fans of saints row since day 1. The 4 main "saints" are poorly written, utter jokes of characters. The humour is not there at all and plays it far too safe to avoid insulting anyone. 1 moment sticks out with Eli lecturing you about not stealing an eco friendly car. That is not gangster my friend. None of them are the types of people who would rob a liquor store to pay off student loans of all things. None of them develop into characters you can consider "saints" either. They start as pussies and end as pussies.

There's a certain magic hyping yourself in the opposite way of just how bad something is that makes it a whole lot more enjoyable when you finally get around to it. Going to give it a go at some point when the backlog has died down some and I want something stupid to waste time on.

I bet it could be fun with some buddies. I'd say being an average game is totally acceptable and people really should stop putting things into these "all or nothing" categories. That said, wasn't gonna pay for that obviously heartless game and probably never will unless a buddy gets a hair up their ass and gifts it to play with them. Sucks Volition shutdown, wished they had tried to make a great Red Faction game instead of that Saint's Row and whatever weird ass game before this last one.

I might have been tempted to try it out blindly since I liked SR2 back in the day, haven't played since. But now that cringe shill OP has revealed how dumb the game looks, I'll stay uninterested. Thanks..

You could have at least posted about Generation Zero, another poorly received game that some people find enjoyable. I'm digging that one, dialogue is entirely Swedish, story is straightfoward, no cultural washing / subtext. Terminator vibes. Proper gaming, and yes there are a lot of negative aspects but I enjoy a janky game for personal reasons.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Hardened criminal isn't the term you use for getting arrested in Portland with a wine bottle full of piss and Home Depot knee pads.

skyfall

Look, obviously people are free to enjoy what they want,

No, they're not, people like OP are dragging everything down for all of us. Im so tired of gamers having such little standards. Companies obviously feed us shit, be so many gamers are willing to eat shit (especially when it comes to exclusives), and they even call other people out who expect more as 'entitled'. If you've never played a video game before, sure maybe this saints row would be novel, but those of us who having been playing since playstaion or even nes days should be demanding more.

Last edited:

Osthyvel

Yes, i like it to, its a really fun game. People love to hate, many haters have not even tried the game, but the have read on da internet that the game sucks...

theclaw135

Banned
So it's not the same as the old games. I get that.

But these particular images don't show whatever it is people are so upset about.

proandrad

Trying to find real criticism for games can be hard nowadays. If a game seems like lack diversity there is a vocal group of gamers that will immediately call it out and ignoring any nuance. If the game’s main character isn’t straight and white and you get another group of gamers that will immediately label it as woke and political. This is especially true if the game is a reboot and changes the original tone of game. These companies are immortal entities. They don’t actually care about pushing any sort of agenda and they aren’t on any side. They just exist to make more money than they did last year.

Woggleman

I never played it but would not be surprised if it were a casualty of the culture wars. Some people throw around the woke word like it is nothing.

MirageMew2

What I really don’t get is how the only other competition to GTA was so in the red they were make or break with this reboot. They didn’t need to reinvent the wheel here.

Last edited:

Fox Mulder

This game blew dogshit. I loved Volition games with the original Saints Row games and Red Faction. People cried about it being woke or something like they do with everything, but it was also just awful and cringe at release.

Maybe the studio patched it up hoping people would care or notice, but they’re dead now.

Last edited:
I've played through the game and the DLC. I would say it's mildly entertaining to decent as long as you don't pay more than a few bucks for it.

I hate "woke" crap just as much as most people my age, but this game really isn't as "woke" as the detractors say it is. Sorry, but simply having a black chick as the default main protagonist doesn't qualify as "woke" (even with that godawful haircut).

It is true that the lewdness and crudeness is quite a bit toned down from the original SR series. It's still there, but not quite as in-your-face like before. The dialogue/ jokes sound like cringey elementary school edgelords. There are no more sex worker NPCs and you are not able to use enemies and peds as human shields during gun fights. And even after the update patches, there are still quite a few glitches and bugs. So overall, apart from the graphics, I would say it is a downgrade from previous SR games (but still better than Gat out of Hell). It's still a decent open world (if you're looking at it as a budget game) and I'd be lying if I said I didn't have a bit of goofy fun with it.

My hierarchy:

SR2
SR3
SR1
SR4
SR Reboot
GatoutHell

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
What does Saints Row and Forspoken have in common???
The Wire Reaction GIF

Both Studios are dead ☠️ because of their existence.

There you go rofif!
Forspoken turned out to be great. One of better games this year.
Immortals of Aveum turned out to be great. One of better games this year.

New IP, single player, no micro$ games. Not sequels... and nobody is interested because these games are fun.
I don't understand this industry anymore.

I've only played a bit of SR reboot and it seems totally fine to me. The humor is still Saints Row. Characters are new, graphics are fine.
Nothing can top SR3 but this seems like a good game. nothing to close studio over

Camreezie

The characters and writing are fucking terrible but the gameplay has seemed exactly the same as the previous saints games

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Grabbed it with all DLC for $15 on the PSN sale.

I have zero expectations. Just hope the shooting is decent and I recognize at least one song on the radio.

SHA

To be fair the reviews were mediocre as launch and basically no one seemed to like it. It was like universal dislike. And also to be fair, they patched the game up a lot since launch day lol. No bullet sponge enemies here. Headshots baby!
Reviews shouldn't bother anyone, it's written for guidance, that's it, if you feel intimidated just from reading, relax, even 50 out of 100 is acceptable, perfection is a myth, don't buy all the drama that comes with it.

Mr Hyde

Been on the fence about it. Got put off by the rough launch and the game being seemingly unfinished and littered with bugs. And the awful character design didn't do the game any favors. But it's always interesting to read different opinions about games that got shit on by the majority. if the notorious edition goes down to 10 bucks I might pull the trigger. Maybe some fun can be extracted here.

WHY THE FUCK DID I LISTEN TO ALL YOU Y'ALL ONLINE YO! This game is fucking good. Not great. But good.

I was expecting a story about shitty hipsters becoming criminals and shit and that's the not fucking story at all. The story really has me hooked and I love how it unfolds. It's the story of 4 roommates You (that's your name haha), Kev, Eli and Neenah trying to make means end in your shitty apartment. You, Kev and Neenah are already hardened criminals. You have decided to go legit and join the Marshall PMC, Kev works with the anarchist gang The Idols, and Neenah is a smuggler and driver for the gang Los Panteros. Eli just wants to start a business but can never get a loan...
i think you're going for 'trying to make ends meet'...

'this game if fucking good. not great, but good'. i'm getting strong gotham knight vibes here (which i have played) - a game that was such a step down from what'd come before (arkham trilogy) that, no matter how 'good' it might be (& wasn't terribly bad or anything - it looked good & was mechanically sound), it was always just gonna end up feeling like a pretty empty, hollow exercise by the end...

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
i think you're going for 'trying to make ends meet'...

'this game if fucking good. not great, but good'. i'm getting strong gotham knight vibes here (which i have played) - a game that was such a step down from what'd come before (arkham trilogy) that, no matter how 'good' it might be (& wasn't terribly bad or anything - it looked good & was mechanically sound), it was always just gonna end up feeling like a pretty empty, hollow exercise by the end...
No, Gotham Knights is a piece of shit. SR2022 is a fun game. Things don't have to be mindblowing to be good.

It's good. I said that, I meant that, I still mean it.

No, Gotham Knights is a piece of shit. SR2022 is a fun game. Things don't have to be mindblowing to be good.

It's good. I said that, I meant that, I still mean it.
well, i've got it from ps+, so maybe i'll give it a shot sometime. glad you're enjoying it...

Drizzlehell

Banned
Glad you enjoyed it but it's still a terrible game.

I don't know why people always make these threads about some widely panned pieces of shit months after they were released, and talk about them as if they were actually some underrated gems. Hell to the no brotha.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
well, i've got it from ps+, so maybe i'll give it a shot sometime. glad you're enjoying it...
It's nowhere near as good as Saints Row 2 and 3, but for what it is, it's a fun time in a wacky world. Also titties. You can go topless without censorship on PS, but that's not as HOT as BG3 lol

Bunch of self-insert, hipster millenial characters with no originality? Check
Shitty janky gameplay? Check
Catapult-into-space-on-collision car physics? Check
Completely uninteresting story and plot premise? Check
Graphics miraculously worse than the last game in the series on better hardware? Check

There's no meaningful argument to made for this game even approaching something resembling good.

Maybe the OP has low standards.

To all those claiming the game isn't woke, fucking lol. We're talking about a series that started out as a lampooning of African American urban subculture as an answer to GTA. The story was about the rise of a ghetto gang leader. This new version completely moves away from what was an example of solid representation, in the name of avoiding cultural appropriation and ends up with a largely white-washed, dull, vapid cast, from an almost entirely minority-led cast of actually fucking great characters.

It's wokeness never being satisfied with being woke enough and ending up eating its own tail like an ouroborous.

Not to mention the loony-goon wokester dev studio following the typical leftist playbook of shitting on the fanbase when they don't like the shitty product you just announced; trying to shame them for rejecting your shitty purple-haired self-insert cast of characters.

The whole thing was a woke shit show from the outset.

Top Bottom