• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

After playing Saints Row 2022 for a bit, I must say...

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
WHY THE FUCK DID I LISTEN TO ALL YOU Y'ALL ONLINE YO! This game is fucking good. Not great. But good.

I was expecting a story about shitty hipsters becoming criminals and shit and that's the not fucking story at all. The story really has me hooked and I love how it unfolds. It's the story of 4 roommates You (that's your name haha), Kev, Eli and Neenah trying to make means end in your shitty apartment. You, Kev and Neenah are already hardened criminals. You have decided to go legit and join the Marshall PMC, Kev works with the anarchist gang The Idols, and Neenah is a smuggler and driver for the gang Los Panteros. Eli just wants to start a business but can never get a loan.

As the story unfolds, you manage to get fired from Marshall, Eli is shot by The Idols forcing Kev to leave them to help save his friend, and Neenah also quits Los Panteros. And the mission before that reminded me that Saints Row's humor is intact.

Saints-Row-20230906204422.jpg

Saints-Row-20230906204556.jpg

Saints-Row-20230906204622.jpg

Saints-Row-20230906204724.jpg

Saints-Row-20230906204754.jpg

Saints-Row-20230906204842.jpg

Saints-Row-20230906204936.jpg

So basically as the crew is driving Eli back to the apartment, they put on his self-help audiobook on to calm him down and it makes You realize that you are all knee deep in crime and were doing the work for others instead of doing it for yourself. So they steal the deed to an old church on 3rd Street (hehe) and become The Saints. And that's where the fun begins. You don't even have any homies at first. Eli can't even hold a gun. Basically, you must construct your criminal empire bit by bit, by taking empty lots as building fronts for your gang. Start a Mexican restaurant...with drug dealing trucks! Start your medical clinic, so you can run in the traffic and get that insurance money (just as fun as always).

Now it's really not perfect. It's glitch filled and sometimes you have to reload a past save to continue. The physics are janky as hell, and hitting any vehicle will send it flying into the fucking sun for some reason.

But still, this is essentially Saints Row 3 that looks better but is not as good. But still good.

There's a full on LARP mission line lol.

Saints-Row-20230907001019.jpg

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
WHY THE FUCK DID I LISTEN TO ALL YOU Y'ALL ONLINE YO!
Most people who shit on it haven't even played it, just repeat the same shit about it being "woke" based on some screenshots even though there isn't a single "woke" thing in the game itself, or at least not things Saints Row hasn't been doing since SR3, and even SR2 to some extent.
I enjoyed my time with this game.

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
OP enjoys game that others do not. Do you also eat and drink what others tell you? This may come as a shock, and I hope you're sitting when reading this, but, STOP LISTENING TO CRITICS/OTHERS. Buy, consume what you feel like, if u dont like it, c'est la vie and move on, but you might enjoy a ton of shit the majority dont, same as not enjoying what the majority like. Welcome to life.

Aenima

Its decent if you can ignore the most cringe writting of all time. Started playing it and enjoying it so far. Going to finish Sea of Stars 1st before going back to it.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
OP enjoys game that others do not. Do you also eat and drink what others tell you? This may come as a shock, and I hope you're sitting when reading this, but, STOP LISTENING TO CRITICS/OTHERS. Buy, consume what you feel like, if u dont like it, c'est la vie and move on, but you might enjoy a ton of shit the majority dont, same as not enjoying what the majority like. Welcome to life.
To be fair the reviews were mediocre as launch and basically no one seemed to like it. It was like universal dislike. And also to be fair, they patched the game up a lot since launch day lol. No bullet sponge enemies here. Headshots baby!

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Most people who shit on it haven't even played it, just repeat the same shit about it being "woke" based on some screenshots even though there isn't a single "woke" thing in the game itself, or at least not things Saints Row hasn't been doing since SR3, and even SR2 to some extent.
I enjoyed my time with this game.
Yup. That's pretty much what happened lol. This is just as over the top and raunchy as SR3. And hell you can have your tits out with no censorship blur!

Godot25

Banned
WHY THE FUCK DID I LISTEN TO ALL YOU Y'ALL ONLINE YO! This game is fucking good. Not great. But good.

I was expecting a story about shitty hipsters becoming criminals and shit and that's the not fucking story at all. The story really has me hooked and I love how it unfolds. It's the story of 4 roommates You (that's your name haha), Kev, Eli and Neenah trying to make means end in your shitty apartment. You, Kev and Neenah are already hardened criminals. You have decided to go legit and join the Marshall PMC, Kev works with the anarchist gang The Idols, and Neenah is a smuggler and driver for the gang Los Panteros. Eli just wants to start a business but can never get a loan.

As the story unfolds, you manage to get fired from Marshall, Eli is shot by The Idols forcing Kev to leave them to help save his friend, and Neenah also quits Los Panteros. And the mission after reminded me that Saints Row's humor is intact.

Saints-Row-20230906204422.jpg

Saints-Row-20230906204556.jpg

Saints-Row-20230906204622.jpg

Saints-Row-20230906204724.jpg

Saints-Row-20230906204754.jpg

Saints-Row-20230906204842.jpg

Saints-Row-20230906204936.jpg

So basically as the crew is driving Eli back to the apartment, they put on his self-help audiobook on to calm him down and it makes You realize that you are all knee deep in crime and were doing the work for others instead of yourself. So they steal the deed to an old church on 3rd Street (hehe) and become The Saints. And that's where the fun begins. You don't even have any homies at first. Eli can't even hold a gun. Basically, you must construct your criminal empire bit by bit, by taking empty lots as building fronts for your gang. Start a Mexican restaurant...with drug dealing trucks! Start your medical clinic, so you can run in the traffic and get that insurance money (just as fun as always).

Now it's really not perfect. It's glitch filled and sometimes you have to reload a past save to continue. The physics are janky as hell, and hitting any vehicle will send it flying into the fucking sun for some reason.

But still, this is essentially Saints Row 3 that looks better but is not as good. But still good.

There's a full on LARP mission line lol.

Saints-Row-20230907001019.jpg
Well. Gameplay-wise Volition did rework combat and other aspects of the game, so if people told you game was shit when it was first released, it does not mean they were wrong...

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Well. Gameplay-wise Volition did rework combat and other aspects of the game, so if people told you game was shit when it was first released, it does not mean they were wrong...
Yeah I adressed that in a later post. The horror stories from launch have been pretty much quelled. Except it's still the glitchiest Saints Row.

The game is NOT good. It's full of baffling design choices and still full of bugs. There are moments of funny NPC dialogue, and that's about it...it's like they had the idea of a reboot but fell at the first hurdle.

I'm not a culture warrior so I don't care that one character has blue hair and likes Ramen or whatever, but there's very little of the old Volition in this or even a very good game. It's worse than Agents of Mayhem.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Game is trash end of story. You are an outlier. Some people have positively reviewed the likes of redfall and forespoken. They usually have a low floor for what constitutes fun
Do Redfall and Forspoken have a mission where you must go to an old pier, to board a creepy boat to go to an island, to participate in a tournament and you "Holy fucking shit is that the Mortal Kombat movie lol"?

Cause if not...Saints Row is better than those!

Last edited:

VN1X

Banned
I tried this game yesterday, couldn't play more than 10 minutes, the characters models reminded me of The Sims 4.

The Sims Yoga GIF

200.gif
Except the Sims 4 looks far less amateur with regards to animation and character design. I could stomach it in previous games because the rest of it was so good but even during SR3 and 4 they looked like they were made out of play-doh or some shit, compared to other similar titles.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
What? It’s one of the worst games I’ve ever played. Not an ounce of fun in this pile.
Did you play at launch? Cause they had to fix and rework over 1000+ things. I remember that at launch people had to adjust enemy health and play on the easiest difficulty because enemies were bullet sponges. Now it feels exactly like my fave, SR3 in terms of combat.

Top Bottom