• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is the Blu-ray format dying?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, who has an Internet connection with a downstream speed equal to the bitrate of an average Blu-ray movie? Anyone?

From what I can tell, demand for bandwidth is increasing faster than supply. Rather than increasing speeds, companies are placing new caps on traffic. It's not a matter of Moore's Law, with chip fabs constantly retooling to new designs. Upgrading bandwidth means updating tons of infrastructure, miles of cables all over the country, etc. I don't understand why people think of this happening as a foregone conclusion.

Raistlin

Exactly. That's why I really hope BD doesn't die.

If it does, its basically the end of getting movies, shows, concerts in anything even approaching that quality (both audio and video) ... basically, ever :\

chaostrophy said:
So, who has an Internet connection with a downstream speed equal to the bitrate of an average Blu-ray movie? Anyone?

From what I can tell, demand for bandwidth is increasing faster than supply.

And on top of that, ISPs are heavily pushing download limits and bandwidth caps. Right now, if I were to download a 30GB movie, that's 1/3rd of my monthly bandwidth right there (90GB cap).

NZNova

To pick a recent example here in New Zealand, the new Indy movie on DVD retails for $34.95. Same movie on Blu-Ray retails for $59.95.

I love HD movies, I have a big HD TV and own a ton of HD-DVD and Blu-Ray titles. But come on! Price that shit down, you idiots. Blu-Ray should be $5 more than DVD, not nearly twice the price.

The reason Blu-ray is off to a shitty start is because the economy is in shambles right now. People don't have the money to splurge on an expensive new Blu-ray player. Movies used to be a fun cheap way to spend a Saturday night, but with the cost of a single blu-ray disc being over $30, it becomes less appealing. Sure it looks really nice, but people rather spend their well earned dollar on something a bit more important than a few extra pixels.

SnowWolf said:
I'm going to be buying a PS3 soon mainly for the Blu-ray functionality since there's not too many PS3 games I'm interested in that's not already on the 360. Am I making a mistake or should I just get a standalone Bluray player? I heard the PS3 is actually a pretty awesome Blu-ray player which is why I've been considering it.

PS3 is a great blu ray player and an great dvd upscaler.

Only real minuses is size in my opinion, and lack of ir port for remote.

Pluses are that you have the hdd, and streaming media center type functionality and always getting new features.

harSon

Banned
_leech_ said:
And on top of that, ISPs are heavily pushing download limits and bandwidth caps. Right now, if I were to download a 30GB movie, that's 1/3rd of my monthly bandwidth right there (90GB cap).

The companies pushing for digital distribution have a lot of leverage.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
_leech_ said:
DVDs were that price for years and it did alright. I don't know where people are getting this unrealistic idea that two years into it's life a new format is going to have $15 movies and $99 players. Toshiba did it with HD-DVD because the format was in the shitter, and they lost millions on the way to the bargain bin. Neither VHS, CD, DVD or any other successful format went on fire sales this early, Blu-ray is no different.
The difference back then though was that there was a lot of other tangible advantages beyond image and audio quality that users got making the jump from VHS to DVD that they didn't mind the cost bump. Not having to ever rewind again was a very big motivator for a lot of people I knew.

i could buy a blu-ray player, or i could just watch/rent HD movies through my cable box on demand for much less cost. no need to spend £200 or so, just a couple of quid a view.

seriously, for most people the only real reason to buy a blu-ray player at current prices is because they want a ps3 or have money to burn. an economic downturn might kick that further in the teeth.

economic situations probably wont hurt disc sales too badly (they tend to do well despite recessions, like videogames) but if people were considering investing in a blu-ray setup before, they aren't now.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Jtwo said:
Yeah, I think a lot of people really do underestimate the quality of a GOOD dvd.
No, it's not HD. But it's DAMN WATCHABLE.
I think it's irrelevant in consideration to blu-ray's existence. We live in a world where we constantly improve technology. Non dual core computers are usable, but we continue to upgrade.

If you and other people are satisfied with up-scaled DVD's then great. But there are people who enjoy blu-ray's quality more and rather have that since the TV they invested a lot of in has the power to do it.

It may be too expensive for some, but it's not for others. And the people who can afford it shouldn't be held back. Just like they shouldn't take away your dvd's, which aren't being discontinued.

Onix said:

If it does, its basically the end of getting movies, shows, concerts in anything even approaching that quality (both audio and video) ... basically, ever :\
Yes, and widespread mobile phone services could never be feasible for the man on the street because the infrastructure simply cannot handle providing channels for each user.

The infrastructure will improve over time as installing fibre optics becomes more profitable. Market forces will see to that.

Decado

I don't get the who upscale thing. I've played several DVDs on my PS3 and they look like crap compared to blu-ray movies.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Onix said:

Completely agree.

Forget bandwidth-starved inferior quality versions, I'm willing to pay more for a Bluray when it means that I can get as close to the master's quality as possible. The $10 premium is worth that for me. Yes, this might be a minority opinion, but I'll be damned if it's wrong to want the highest quality possible of something.

harSon said:

Not even Apple could get Rogers (my ISP and local telecom semi-monopoly) to offer an unlimited data plan option for the iPhone. I doubt Netflix is going to get them to increase their bandwidth caps.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
blu ray movies are ridiculously overpriced in aus - why would i bother buying them for close to $40 (sometimes more) when the equivalent on dvd can be as low as 10 bucks at stores like JB hifi?

i bought 1 or 2 movies to check it out when i first got my ps3; but i haven't been tempted since as any discounts on discs are on shit like ultraviolet, xxx, chain reaction (lawl) and other shitfests that don't even belong on the format. im more than happy to buy up if the prices go down across the board, but as it is, studios deserve the low sales.

JimiNutz

Banned
I hope the format dies out.
I own a HDTV and DVDs upscaleD are fine enough for me for now. Blu Rays obviously looks better but as others have said it's not THAT noticeable and I'm certainly not gonna re-buy all my old DVDs again. I'll re-buy my old movies if/when we get 3D movies at home. That's the next big jump for me, full 3D movies, not HD.

Onix said:

You’re a fool if you don't think quality won't surpass Blu-Ray in the next 15 years. That's how technology works. Once the economy picks up and prices of Blu-ray players go down, you'll see an influx of interest in high-def content.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
g35twinturbo said:
if you can't afford a hdtv or sound system then yes it is.
I have a really nice tv, and a soso sound system.
I'm not against BluRay, I recognize that currently it's offers the BEST quality normal consumers can get. But that doesn't mean it's really "worth" it. 70% of the time I watch stuff it isn't in HD.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
NutJobJim said:
I hope the format dies out.
I own a HDTV and DVDs upscale are fine enough for me for now. Blu Rays obviously looks better but as others have said it's not THAT noticeable and I'm certainly not gonna re-buy all my old DVDs again. I'll re-buy my old movies if/when we get 3D movies at home. That's the next big jump for me, full 3D movies, not HD.
You are fucking selfish.

There are a lot of people who prefer blu-ray's over dvd's. Just because you don't, you want no one to enjoy?

What gain do you personally have to completely be gone?

DeathNote said:
You are fucking selfish.

There are a lot of people who prefer blu-ray's over dvd's. Just because you don't, you want no one to enjoy?

What gain do you personally have?

lol way to be dramatic.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
DancingJesus said:
You’re a fool if you don't think quality won't surpass Blu-Ray in the next 15 years. That's how technology works.

I'm sorry, why would I want to wait 15 years when I can have amazing quality right now, in my hands. Will digital downloads catch up to Bluray quality? Yes, obviously. Will it be within the next few years? I doubt it.

Scooter

Banned
Butthurt HDDVD fanboys :lol

I can't believe you're discussing this crap, have you even read it? The guy sounds like a bitter BD hater making excuses to bash Bluray.

OokieSpookie said:
Interesting that the author of the blog is a data storage person "Robin Harris has been selling and marketing data storage for over 20 years in companies large and small."

Now why would a data storage marketer be down on a movie format like blu in favor of downloads...

Or it's this. Anyway the guy has an agenda and his article is shit.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Karma Kramer said:
lol way to be dramatic.
Too dramatic?

What gain does he have? Not having to choose anymore? What's the cost? Millions of people who enjoy blu-ray?

That doesn't define selfish?

He can enjoy DVD's while blu-ray exists. It doesn't have to be a concern to the selfish twat.

takotchi

Blu-ray discs are too expensive... well, in stores anyway; there are good deals to be had on-line. Try finding one under $29.99 in the local Wal-fart, Circuit Shitty, or Worst Buy. Forget it.

Other than that, I couldn't be happier with Blu-ray. Downloading something of the same quality would be extremely difficult, in terms of bandwidth and storage; for me it'd be impossible.

If you can put up with the shitty quality of DVD (and a lot of downloaded video), well, more power to you, but I wish people would at least admit there is a huge difference. If you honestly don't see it, I think you need glasses.

Opiate

DeathNote said:
You are fucking selfish.

What gain do you personally have to completely be gone?

Doesn't this work the other way around too? I assume you want Blu Ray to succeed. The consequence of a massive Blu Ray success would be the decline of DVD.

For someone that doesn't want to upgrade, your personal preference (Blu Ray) diminishes the quality of their personal preference (DVD).

How is this any different? I personally do care about visual quality and have heavily invested in Blu Ray. I hope Blu Ray succeeds, for that reason -- and that is a selfish reason.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
harSon said:

Until they start paying for my ISP to upgrade to fibre, then download limits, caps and throttling are going to get worse.

_leech_ said:
So let me see if I've got this straight: Blu-ray sucks because DVD sales are slowing and Blu-ray hasn't surpassed DVD in it's 2nd year.

FYI, DVD surpassed VHS in late 2002, roughly six years after it launched.
_leech_ said:
So let me see if I've got this straight: Blu-ray sucks because DVD sales are slowing and Blu-ray hasn't surpassed DVD in it's 2nd year.

_leech_ said:

_leech_ said:

This, and also for you "bu bu bu bu bu but DIGITAL DOWNLOADS" peeps:
chaostrophy said:

From what I can tell, demand for bandwidth is increasing faster than supply. Rather than increasing speeds, companies are placing new caps on traffic. It's not a matter of Moore's Law, with chip fabs constantly retooling to new designs. Upgrading bandwidth means updating tons of infrastructure, miles of cables all over the country, etc. I don't understand why people think of this happening as a foregone conclusion.

JimiNutz

Banned
Opiate said:
Doesn't this work the other way around too? I assume you want Blu Ray to succeed. The consequence of a massive Blu Ray success would be the decline of DVD.

For someone that doesn't want to upgrade, your personal preference (Blu Ray) diminishes the quality of their personal preference (DVD).

How is this any different? I personally do care about visual quality and have heavily invested in Blu Ray. I hope Blu Ray succeeds, for that reason -- and that is a selfish reason.

Exactly. If Blu Ray becomes the standard DVDs will decline like VHS before it. This is why I hope the format doesn't take off in a big way. I have no problem with them selling Blu Rays so long as my precious DVDs don't die out and are still easy to buy and cheap.

Edit: Wow I'm a 'selfish twat' :lol
Suck my balls :lol

Opiate

DeathNote said:
Too dramatic?

What gain does he have? Not having to choose anymore? What's the cost? Millions of people who enjoy blu-ray?

That doesn't define selfish?

He can enjoy DVD's while blu-ray exists. It doesn't have to be a concern to the selfish twat.

If DVDs and Blu Rays can live in harmony, then there isn't a problem.

Traditionally, however, that isn't how format evolution works. Either a new format comes to dominate, or it fails and fades forever. It's possible that this won't happen, in the sense that anything is possible, but based on historical evidence and simple logic, it's much more likely that a Blu Ray success would mean a DVD decline.

Please calm down.

Opiate

leech has the right idea here, by the way.

There are plenty of "Blu Ray success!" stories to go around: for example, we can point out that there are significantly more Blu Ray players in people's homes now than there were DVD players at the same point in DVD's lifecycle (this is due to the PS3, of course). We could also point to movies like Iron Man selling 20 percent of the market to Blu Ray users in its first week, over 500k units.

In other words, I see "Blu Ray is doomed" stories like this fairly frequently, while I also see "Blu Ray is more sucessful than even DVD was at this time point" too. Therefore, I've taken a "wait and see" approach, because there seems to be evidence to point in both directions.

Just calm down, and wait a year or two more to see how this plays out. This is a system war that doesn't have an obvious conclusion.

ghibli99

I've been saying this for years, but BRD is to DVD what LD was to VHS, although less so. It's a better format with superior image and sound, but the benefits beyond this are debatable. BRD is absolutely the format for stuff like Planet Earth, Pixar films, etc., but if I'm buying something like The Office or Vacation, does it really matter? Not to most people.

And for the record, I really like BRD, and thoroughly have enjoyed releases like Blade Runner, Planet Earth, Ratatouille/Cars, etc. I have just never really believed that it was the format that would replace DVD. It might've had a chance if the format war never existed and if it offered significant benefits and value over DVD. And yes, I would love to see it succeed. :)

I personally wouldn't mind seeing Blu-Ray fail... because as NutJobJim said... 3D is really the next big jump... so I don't want any new format to take over until 3D technology has reached its potential.

I feel like Blu-Ray is a little early right now... there needs to be additional aspects to a new format to make me want to shift from DVD.

Gagaman

Start using all that Blu-ray disc space for tons of episodes of TV shows (even if it means they're not 1080p HD, just maybe 480p), and people will be interested more, as so far the only advantage is the resolution. These things have six times the space, so why why not use them for six times the content (or at least 3 times) for the stuff that wouldn't necessary benefit from being in HD, like a lot of TV series? If this meant whole box sets being squeezed onto 1 or 2 blu ray discs, that'd be pretty sweet to me.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Karma Kramer said:
I personally wouldn't mind seeing Blu-Ray fail... because as NutJobJim said... 3D is really the next big jump... so I don't want any new format to take over until 3D technology has reached its potential.

I feel like Blu-Ray is a little early right now... there needs to be additional aspects to a new format to make me want to shift from DVD.

3D? 3D won't even catch on until well into or after Bluray's lifespan (if at all). There isn't a single 3D TV I can go out to a store and buy right now, and there won't be one in the near future.

I don't wanna hear about glasses crap, either. 3D won't take off until you can do it without having to wear anything.

Mrbob

As someone who mostly buys TV box sets, Blu Ray prices are absurd.

Many times they are twice the price of the DVD box set.

XMonkey said:
3D? 3D won't even catch on until well into or after Bluray's lifespan (if at all). There isn't a single 3D TV I can go out to a store and buy right now, and there won't be one in the near future.

I don't wanna hear about glasses crap, either. 3D won't take off until you can do it without having to wear anything.

Yeah... so thats when I want to move to a new format...

Opiate said:

There are plenty of "Blu Ray success!" stories to go around: for example, we can point out that there are significantly more Blu Ray players in people's homes now than there were DVD players at the same point in DVD's lifecycle (this is due to the PS3, of course). We could also point to movies like Iron Man selling 20 percent of the market to Blu Ray users in its first week, over 500k units.

In other words, I see "Blu Ray is doomed" stories like this fairly frequently, while I also see "Blu Ray is more sucessful than even DVD was at this time point" too. Therefore, I've taken a "wait and see" approach, because there seems to be evidence to point in both directions.

Just calm down, and wait a year or two more to see how this plays out. This is a system war that doesn't have an obvious conclusion.
I think the conclusion is quite clear. The opportunity cost of buying a DVD over the equivalent Blu-Ray disc for most people is either too low or zero. They simply won't bother to switch.

Which isn't to say that Blu-Ray will cease to exist as a format - it won't. It'll simply be relegated to a niche among AV and tech enthusiasts.

Pellham

Banned
_leech_ said:

HD movies aren't 30G though. The average HD movie is like 5 gigs. Ever DL an HD movie from the PS Store?

90GB is a shitty bandwidth cap, but hey, our infrastructure woes will have to be solved eventually. In the meantime bluray is never going to be mainstream so we're at the mercy of the networks and studios to clean their act up first.

I can't wait to ressurect this thread in a year to show you how wrong you were.

viciouskillersquirrel said:
I think the conclusion is quite clear. The opportunity cost of buying a DVD over the equivalent Blu-Ray disc for most people is either too low or zero. They simply won't bother to switch.

Which isn't to say that Blu-Ray will cease to exist as a format - it won't. It'll simply be relegated to a niche among AV and tech enthusiasts.
You know, prices drop.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Karma Kramer said:
Yeah... so thats when I want to move to a new format...

But you don't mind if Bluray fails? Even if it will have no impact on your preferred format because it's so far down the line?

Makes sense.

Pellham said:
HD movies aren't 30G though. The average HD movie is like 5 gigs. Ever DL an HD movie from the PS Store?

Proper HD movies are that large. Don't give me compressed shit. Why would you want to push something that's technologically inferior.

XMonkey said:
But you don't mind if Bluray fails? Even if it will have no impact on your preferred format because it's so far down the line?

Makes sense.

I don't want Blu-Ray to take over DVD technically... because that would prolong a new technology that would push 3D.

I don't mind at all if Blu Ray exists in its niche market... but I don't want it to become the next DVD.

andthebeatgoeson

I bought a ton of DVD movies because I can find great ones at Walmart and Best buy for under $10. That is the only reason I have a large DVD selection. And by large, I mean, 80. BluRay is not in the cards if all the movies are $30. Sorry.

For instance, finally opened Clear and Present Danger. I bought it 2 years ago. Still unopened. Tag was: $6.99. Impulse buy. I pay $9 at the movies for shittier films. Now, I own a great movie for 2 bucks less. No real thought to it. It has Harrison Ford, his hot wife, Sam Jackson and funny Irish Accents. And a hot chick in a red wig.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Karma Kramer said:
I don't mind at all if Blu Ray exists in its niche market... but I don't want it to become the next DVD.

Studios will make it the next DVD by slowly phasing out DVD versions of new releases.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom