• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is there any reason to keep the One after getting a Series X?

Fart Knight

Al Pachinko, Konami President
NO

the matrix aliens GIF

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
TV tuner capable, HDMI In, the fact that its a better looking system, extra 4K BD player

I have a One X in the living room and Series S in the bedroom no reason to get a Series X since cross-gen is the song that doesn't end apparently

Unk Adams

Banned
These threads get worse every day.

To be fair sometimes an older version of a console has something special that can't be replicated on the newer ones, such as the Gamecube having the GameBoy Player despite the Wii being fully backwards compatible with everything else otherwise. I'm assuming the OP was wondering about something like that before getting rid of it.

dcmk7

Banned
The OG One? No.

But One X would say yes. DF recently found it to be the second best platform to play Halo Infinite. So the value is still there.

If it's just a standard Xbox One then probably not.
However, if it's an Xbox One X then then there are still some advantages as some of the games still perform better on the One X. Not really an issue for all games but as DF keep complaining about, if smart delivery is enabled on games then at the moment they only let you play the version most optimised for the Series X even though that isn't always the most performant.
One of the only real downsides of smart delivery really, it's good when things happen automatically but it's always beneficial to have options when it doesn't quite work as it should. I would imagine at some point they will amend that to let people choose which version of a game you want to run. I think it's probably just an oversight really but hopefully DF bringing it up every time the previous generation version is the more performant will mean thngs change as they do seem to like DF.

The OG One? No.

But One X would say yes. DF recently found it to be the second best platform to play Halo Infinite. So the value is still there.
The One X is basically a Series S with a disc drive. I was surprised to see how nice Halo looked when I compared it to my Series X. I was a bit blown away tbh... AND it holds native 4K MUCH better than the Series S.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Depending on your home, it could be a nice multimedia device for Netflix etc. While not ideal, I plan on using my 1X as an emergency backup w/ cloud gaming if my Series X has problems and I'll be without it for a bit.

intbal

The series X does everything the One does but better. Is there any reason to even keep the One besides collector’s value?

Any reason?
Technically, yes.

I'll give you two. Though they're not necessarily good reasons. But you just asked for "any" reason.

1. The One S (if that's the one you're talking about) consumes much less power at all times than the Series X. That doesn't mean much of anything to me, but it's a fact.
2. You can't play the game Risen through backwards compatibility on a Series X (or One X) without a nearly broken camera/aim system. They're just too fast. The slower One S plays the game with a reasonable camera speed.

DaveinAmaze

Neo Member
Sold my One X as soon as I got my Series X to help offset the costs of the new system. You can get decent money selling the One X on FB Marketplace/Craigslist since the Series X is still pretty hard to find. I sold mine a few weeks ago for $320 Canadian. About half the cost of the Series X, not bad.

Riky

$MSFT
If it's just a standard Xbox One then probably not.
However, if it's an Xbox One X then then there are still some advantages as some of the games still perform better on the One X. Not really an issue for all games but as DF keep complaining about, if smart delivery is enabled on games then at the moment they only let you play the version most optimised for the Series X even though that isn't always the most performant.
One of the only real downsides of smart delivery really, it's good when things happen automatically but it's always beneficial to have options when it doesn't quite work as it should. I would imagine at some point they will amend that to let people choose which version of a game you want to run. I think it's probably just an oversight really but hopefully DF bringing it up every time the previous generation version is the more performant will mean thngs change as they do seem to like DF.

What are you talking about? I don't know of one single game where the One X outperforms the Series X, I think you're getting your wires crossed somewhere.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
The series X does everything the One does but better. Is there any reason to even keep the One besides collector’s value?
I set up the XSX, packed away the X1 and then hooked my XB360 back up. The 360 still can play a lot of OG Xbox and XB360 games that are NOT playable on the X1 or XSX. So, this way I can play the majority of the Xbox library minus a bunch of OG Xbox games. The X1 is really just redundant.

What are you talking about? I don't know of one single game where the One X outperforms the Series X, I think you're getting your wires crossed somewhere.
They're not my wires, they're Digital Foundry's wires, it;s the reason they've talked about how important it is to be able to choose which version of the game to play. 🤷‍♂️

Put it in a room for xcloud streaming of next gen games when you can’t play on you’re main console or if you have guest or kids.

I watch the videos, I've never seen one single video where One X outperforms Series X, which video are you talking about?
There's been three or four that John has mentioned it in, not sure which ones though. You. have access to the same videos I do as a patreon, watch them if you need to.
Don't what else to say to you, I'm not trying to convince you of anything here.

There's been three or four that John has mentioned it in, not sure which ones though. You. have access to the same videos I do as a patreon, watch them if you need to.
Don't what else to say to you, I'm not trying to convince you of anything here.
Stop spreading fud they’ve never said that no can a one x outperform a series x they were talking about the one X and series s.

Stop spreading fud they’ve never said that no can a one x outperform a series x they were talking about the one X and series s.
I was just not going to bother replying to you because I know it's not going to go anywhere but I am in a good mood today as we've been having a lot work done on our house over the past few weeks and it it looks like it's finally bloody over, so...
Firstly, I have no reason to spread "fud" as you so elegantly put it, if benefits me in no way at all and I'm pretty sure that I'm going to gain nothing by taking my time in responding to you. I honestly don't mind if you don't believe me, that really is fine. If it is important for you to do whatever you think it is that you're doing by proving my wrong or some such thing, that's also fine with me.
I do understand that you may enjoy how it feels to believe that there's some great conspiracy and how good it feels because you're intelligent enough to catch the world out when they do this, but in reality that's just not how the world works. Also, let's be honest, nobody should really be thinking that disposable luxuries such as games are that important.
Admittedly, I'm really not a regular on places like this these days although I was previously a moderator on here a few yeas back. I know that arguing about nothing of importance is very much what all social media and forum talk is about, it's the discourse between people on places like this that keeps people posting and people posting keeps the advertising revenues rolling over.
I have no reason to lie to you, I genuinely don't know what else to say about it really...which I think people will be pleased about. :pie_wfwt:

Bridges

Yes! There are a few legitimately great Kinect games. Fantasia: Music Evolved alone is worth keeping one around for. You can also gameshare with it and play co-op if you have someone you live with to do that with.

Otherwise if that doesn't interest you, no. The One X is noticeably worse than the Series X when side by side, but the base One is so hard to go back to I wouldn't recommend it.

ReBurn

Gold Member
The OG One? No.

Halo Infinite, sure. Try playing Guardians of the Galaxy on it and you'll want to smash it against a wall.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
It looks cool …

But yeah hook it up on a different room and witness the awesomeness of auto sync !

Last edited:
Top Bottom