• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is this recent generational jump, the lowest ever(PS5/XSX/XSS)?

Is this a joke? ps4 was a true leap to me from the beginning. Order 1886, infamous second son, uncharted 4, and star wars battle front at 60fps. Not to mention the later games way before 2020 Red dead 2, and GOW.
I never said it wasn't a leap. I said a TRUE leap isn't usually seen until the end. A leap that is 100% utilizes the hardware at its full potential. Sure, the games you mentioned were leaps, but not as astronomical as later titles in the generation. We have leaps now as well, but people are way too ignorant to realize it now days and are never satisfied. and they also forgot that the world was going through an apocalypse that hurt a lot of the game development. If don't see Ratchet and Clank and Demon's Souls Remake as leaps from the PS4 then people need to seek an eye doctor asap.

Last edited:

zeldaring

Banned
I never said it wasn't a leap. I said a TRUE leap isn't usually seen until the end. A leap that is 100% utilizes the hardware at its full potential. Sure, the games you mentioned were leaps, but not as astronomical as later titles in the generation. We have leaps now as well, but people are way too ignorant to realize it now days and are never satisfied. and they also forgot that the world was going through an apocalypse that hurt a lot of the game development. If don't see Ratchet and Clank and Demon's Souls Remake as leaps from the PS4 then people need to seek an eye doctor asap.
The thing is ps4 made ps3 games looks like shit, especially open world games, and PS5 hasn't. I would argue Red dead 2, GOW: ragonorak, and last of us 2 at 4k/60fps look better then anything on PS5 with a straight face, you can't do that with ps3 games vs ps4, right from the get go there was a true leap.

Last edited:

charles8771

What do you expected when diminishing returns started long time ago?

The biggest jump is from 2D to 3D, no doubts
jv9ik9u.jpg
aFabdJ7.jpg

maybe... but graphics are starting to look very, very good.

even nintendo games are approaching that old CG look from the n64 era (at least during in-game cutscenes).
luigi's mansion on the switch was very impressive.
very excited to see what nintendo will do with switch2 hardware.

personally, the jump to 4k and the variety & maturity of AA methods are things i really, really appreciate.
they clean up the image sooooo well and help resolve so many IQ issues.

even the number of dynamic lights in engines these days is something that still wows me at times.
that crap used to be a massive resource hog back in the day.

path tracing and 4k+ (even if upsampled) is where i want to be. it feels like a legit generational leap. feels cinematic.

now if we can just get hardware-accelerated particles scaled way up, so things like fire and fog are properly volumetric and interactive (sort of like in deep down, but better), my childhood graphics dreams will be more or less realized.

then from there we just need a massive physics-based overhaul (soft body, deformation, physics-based animation/locomotion) and ill be all set.

The tech is probably sufficient enough to warrant a new generation, but the problem is there are so many big budget games these days that lack creative identity. They basically took the style from the 5 to 10 most popular games from last generation and tossed them into a blender and what's left are games that look just slightly different enough from one another, but effectively all have the same backbone.

Coincidentally the games that don't appear to be stressing modern hardware at all like Plucky Squire are the games that actually stand out.

Astral Dog

What do you expected when diminishing returns started long time ago?

The biggest jump is from 2D to 3D, no doubts
jv9ik9u.jpg
aFabdJ7.jpg
Thinking about this, i been playing games for a long time 🤓

even more than "3D" to me the biggest jump felt during the HD generation, i was so used to 3D SD GC/PS2 like graphics(wich i thought they didn't look anything special) that i never thought videogames could look like those Xbox 360 demo stations, my young self was amazed at those highly detailed models ,animations and strange lightning effects it looked like something from the future and the TVs looked so strange like flat panels how they crammed a whole TV in there? with magick?

I think it was the Rare game Kameo, Godzilla ,Gears of War then Bioshock ,i was still impressed i never seen graphics like that in a game 😳

game Graphics after that simply became second nature for me and i started to focus more on the framerate, art, controls etc.

Last edited:
PS1/N64 --> Xbox/PS2 was and will always be the biggest jump. We went from Chrono Cross/Conker BFD to Halflife 2/MGS3/SOTC in ~4 years.

The complexity of old hardware was what allowed them to make such big leaps. Even PS2 to Xbox 360 was incredible.

Reactions: Isa
Rewatching that Summer Showcase with Keighley and Epic games (remember that Unreal demo apparently running on PS5?) before these systems launched, it’s interesting three years in.

I don’t think we have seen Unreal 5 really show off on these consoles. There has been some great looking games so far , just not that oh wow moment for me.

It won’t happen course but I’d be interested to see what would happen if more people held off buying future systems at launch, maybe they would make more of an effort to showcasing the platforms than the marketing.

I feel like its been a real long time since we have had anything like this:

That kind of ambition has been lacking this gen. Especially hurts from the likes of Naughty Dog with Last of Us 1 Remake, which should've been the best looking game ever made, having supposedly being developed "from the ground up on PS5" as well as from Santa Monica studios with GoW Ragnarok.

CD Project seems to still have this boundry pushing spirit but only on PC and possibly only due to an arrangement with Nvidia. Remedy seems to still care about pushing tech- *again only really on PC. Guerilla deserves some props. Bluepoint knocked it out of the park. Insomniac deserves props for Ratchet. Forza Horizon 5 was impressive.

Sony's marquee studios are the most disappointing imo this gen. Ever since Jim Ryan came in they seem to have shifted away from graphics into "let's only do just enough to still make massive profit".

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The last console generation that was a leap was the 360/PS3 era.

Not just better res and more games at 60 fps, but that's when console online gaming took off, as well as a standard dashboard for all including profile, friends lists, game lists, e-store, NF app etc... It was the start of the all-in-one hub generation.

Famipan

Playing Bloodborne on LG C1 in Standard Mode with Image Smoothening on (which makes it look like fake 60fps) makes me wonder if it actually could work to the let the TV fix up the framerate on slow paced 30fps games as a standard measure in the future when TV technology has advanced further.

And yes, the input lag is not that bad without Game Mode even in Bloodborne as I assumed would be unplayable. Quite the opposite.

Last edited:

Klik

It seems we're gonna have to wait for PS6/Xbox to get true UE5 games. I assume around year 2028.

RX 6800XT had 20TF in 2020.
RX 7800XT has around 37TF in 2023.

So in 2028 PS6 could be around 60-80TF? Thats gonna be enough for amazing graphics unless someone doesn't get stupid idea to make games at 8k res

Last edited:

SABRE220

This so much this, this and Crysis were the last two groundbreaking moments in the last two decades but half life 2 was something else for its time. That level of ambition and pride in pushing the industry forward is long gone, legit compare the features in that video with games today and it embarrasses most modern games in physics interactions.

That game was developed for PCs in mind, the PS2 could barely run the first Half Life at 20fps most of the time despite the fact that it was a heavily compressed and optimized port.

In 2004, the biggest games for consoles were Metal Gear Solid 3, GTA San Andreas, Halo 2 which of course they didn't come close to Half Life 2 in terms of tech.

The OG Xbox version ended having the frame rates of a Nintendo 64 game

That game was developed for PCs in mind, the PS2 could barely run the first Half Life at 20fps most of the time despite the fact that it was a heavily compressed and optimized port.

In 2004, the biggest games for consoles were Metal Gear Solid 3, GTA San Andreas, Halo 2 which of course they didn't come close to Half Life 2 in terms of tech.

The OG Xbox version ended having the frame rates of a Nintendo 64 game

I know, for I played the game the first time through on the xbox port. Still, I reckon you will be hard pressed to find jumps forward like that since, even including PC

Gojiira

No Id say PS3 to 4 was the actual smallest jump. Look at how good God of War 3,TLOU,Uncharted 3 looked etc the only thing that changed was PS4 had better resolution. Performance and load times etc were almost exactly the same.
PS5 though has basically zero loading, 60fps or higher, even graphically look at Demons Souls or Rift Apart, the jump is staggering. I think people misrepresent just how good current gen games look on top of all the other advancements.
Yes I hope we get some less graphically intensive, physics heavy, complex AI games but I doubt we will.

No Id say PS3 to 4 was the actual smallest jump. Look at how good God of War 3,TLOU,Uncharted 3 looked etc the only thing that changed was PS4 had better resolution. Performance and load times etc were almost exactly the same.
PS5 though has basically zero loading, 60fps or higher, even graphically look at Demons Souls or Rift Apart, the jump is staggering. I think people misrepresent just how good current gen games look on top of all the other advancements.
Yes I hope we get some less graphically intensive, physics heavy, complex AI games but I doubt we will.

Bruh the graphics jump from ps3 to ps4 was way bigger with more games looking like true leaps and earlier in the gen.

I agree Demon's Souls at launch was a visual leap as was Ratchet but since those games, other than Forbidden West what else has felt like a generational leap?

Ps4 at launch had KZ Shadowfall, Battlefield 4, Ryse and then shortly afterwards had MGS Ground Zeroes and Infamous SS which blew me away.

Then we had stuff like Division, Witcher 3, Driveclub and The Order 1886 followed by Uncharted 4/Horizon/ God of War/Last of Us 2.

This gen we've had Demon's, Ratchet, FW, Callisto Protocol, Forza Horizon 5, FF16, Star Wars Jedi Survivor ...but which of those felt like the same kinda leap? This is purely visuals we're talking about now not framerate.

small_law

This was a groundwork gen, faster storage being the headliner. Remember PS4 Pro and Xbox One X both had HDDs out the box. NVMe SSDs and storage soldered on the mobo was a big economical step for 99% of gamers exclusively on console.

This.

Personally, I think VR is the next big leap.
The biggest hurdle rn is entry price.
VR will never been the next big leap for one reason reason

It will never been mainstream because of it causes motion sickness and other forms of health issues for people that's just too much of a limitation.

It doesn't matter how cheap or good the tech gets either, motion sickness Isis the end of all be all of VR.

VR is a cool different way to play games, but that's about it.

SABRE220

I watched this over and over and over. And doom3 demos.
This stuff blew my mind and for the right reason.
I had so much fun with leaked alpha. God bless than little german kid
Man i just went through a nostalgia trip then despair because I know im never getting half life 3:/

SABRE220

On PlayStation? No

Xbox? Absolutely
Even on the playstation absolutely. The most impressive games on the ps5 are forbidden west a crossgen game which while having great fidelity is not far ahead of the ps4 version, demons souls(probably the most impressive game on the console in terms of sheer detail is still nowhere near the jump from a comparable launch title killzone2 to shadowfall) and ratchet(again impressive but pales in comparison to the extremely obvious jump from ps3 games to ps4 versions. Everything else is below these games or cross gen remakes that are being parodied as next gen aka tlou remake.

Last edited:

8BiTw0LF

Banned
Going from 30fps to 120fps is like night and day. I don't care much about graphics and since Sony and MS went straight from 1080p to 4K (skipping 1440p) I can understand why some players think this gen is underwhelming, but the real "next-gen" feeling is the frames per second we've got. Try Ghostrunner on last-gen and then try it on current-gen. It's a perfect example of the biggest difference between last-gen and current-gen.

At the beginning of this gen everyone said how it was a new true generational leap unlike from ps3 to ps4.

What happened?

Well . .we've had 3 years and hundreds of games to see whats "happened". The obvious answer is everyone was taken in by the hype prior to launch and that the consoles were never as powerful as we thought.

I also think people didn't take into account how much more demanding the latest graphical advancements would be. Unreal Engine 5 games that are trickling in show this well, with devs having to drop resolution to insanely small numbers. Finally, Sony and MS fucked up by not developing a true DLSS counterpart because FSR2 looks like shit most of the time at low native resolutions.

Crazy how last gen with the pro consoles we had better image quality than a lot of games using upscaling this gen. We're about to see a couple disappointments coming to console in October: Lord's of the Fallen and Alan Wake 2. Lord's has already been confirmed to only be outputting at 1080p/60. Alan Wake 2 is also going to be very demanding and the devs confirmed it'll have a performance mode but that it targeted 30 fps. I'm afraid the image quality will be ROUGH for both these games.

We have hundreds of examples to gage the general capabilities of these consoles by now though.

Thinking about this, i been playing games for a long time 🤓

even more than "3D" to me the biggest jump felt during the HD generation, i was so used to 3D SD GC/PS2 like graphics(wich i thought they didn't look anything special) that i never thought videogames could look like those Xbox 360 demo stations, my young self was amazed at those highly detailed models ,animations and strange lightning effects it looked like something from the future and the TVs looked so strange like flat panels how they crammed a whole TV in there? with magick?

I think it was the Rare game Kameo, Godzilla ,Gears of War then Bioshock ,i was still impressed i never seen graphics like that in a game 😳

game Graphics after that simply became second nature for me and i started to focus more on the framerate, art, controls etc.

Funny you mention Kameo, because NOBODY ever does, but I remember going to the mall and playing Kameo and Call of Duty 2 at Electronics Botique just before the 360 launched and holy moly that was a leap.

The "leap" this gen compared to 360 and ps4 gens is not on the same level. Even going from N64 to Dreamcast was huge. Going from say, Ocarina of Time to Sonic Adventure and Resi Evil Code Veronica was massive. Games like MGS2? Massive. Mgs2 to MGS4 was huge. God of War 2 to GoW3? Going from ps3's MGS4 to Ground Zeroes was massive. Gears of War 1 was huge. Soul Calibur 1 on Dreamcast and Tekken Tag Tournament on ps2 from Tekken 3- massive.

Every gen has had a MASSIVE LEAP in graphics except this one! Yet games do look really good today, it's just if you're like me and have grown up seeing these kinda leaps every gen you have to be disappointed this gen to some degree.

Going from 30fps to 120fps is like night and day. I don't care much about graphics and since Sony and MS went straight from 1080p to 4K (skipping 1440p) I can understand why some players think this gen is underwhelming, but the real "next-gen" feeling is the frames per second we've got. Try Ghostrunner on last-gen and then try it on current-gen. It's a perfect example of the biggest difference between last-gen and current-gen.

What sucks though in terms of 120 fps is how big a sacrifice to graphics it is in order to get that fps on these consoles. That's kinda a big caveat. I think this gen 120 fps isn't ready to really shine and we'll have to wait until ps6

S0ULZB0URNE

Even on the playstation absolutely. The only real next gen games on the ps5 are forbidden west a crossgen game which while having greta fidelity is not far ahead of the ps4 version, demons souls(probably the most impressive game on the console in terms of sheer detail is still nowhere near the jump from a comparable launch title killzone2 to shadowfall) and ratchet(again impressive but pales in comparison to the extremely obvious jump from ps3 games to ps4 versions. Everything else is below these games or cross gen remakes that are being parodied as next gen aka tlou remake.
No way, PS5 has shown a bigger jump from PS4 than PS4 did to PS3.

Gojiira

Bruh the graphics jump from ps3 to ps4 was way bigger with more games looking like true leaps and earlier in the gen.

I agree Demon's Souls at launch was a visual leap as was Ratchet but since those games, other than Forbidden West what else has felt like a generational leap?

Ps4 at launch had KZ Shadowfall, Battlefield 4, Ryse and then shortly afterwards had MGS Ground Zeroes and Infamous SS which blew me away.

Then we had stuff like Division, Witcher 3, Driveclub and The Order 1886 followed by Uncharted 4/Horizon/ God of War/Last of Us 2.

This gen we've had Demon's, Ratchet, FW, Callisto Protocol, Forza Horizon 5, FF16, Star Wars Jedi Survivor ...but which of those felt like the same kinda leap? This is purely visuals we're talking about now not framerate.
Nope, I knew people would lol or whut, but seriously look at the fidelity of games like God of War 3, Kratos in particular looks incredible, Tlou goes without saying etc etc and they were PS3 games punching way above their weight. Remastering them was as simple as changing the resolution because the assets were THAT good already.
I stand by what I said, jumping from 720p to 1080p, frame rates and load times staying the same, asset quality being comparable, is not as big of a jump as going to full 4K/60, with possibility of 120fps, instant loading, ray tracing and every other graphical technique present on PS5.
Granted the Pro allowed for ‘4k’ resolution but that wasnt the baseline which is how a generation is defined.

Astral Dog

Funny you mention Kameo, because NOBODY ever does, but I remember going to the mall and playing Kameo and Call of Duty 2 at Electronics Botique just before the 360 launched and holy moly that was a leap.

The "leap" this gen compared to 360 and ps4 gens is not on the same level. Even going from N64 to Dreamcast was huge. Going from say, Ocarina of Time to Sonic Adventure and Resi Evil Code Veronica was massive. Games like MGS2? Massive. Mgs2 to MGS4 was huge. God of War 2 to GoW3? Going from ps3's MGS4 to Ground Zeroes was massive. Gears of War 1 was huge. Soul Calibur 1 on Dreamcast and Tekken Tag Tournament on ps2 from Tekken 3- massive.

Every gen has had a MASSIVE LEAP in graphics except this one! Yet games do look really good today, it's just if you're like me and have grown up seeing these kinda leaps every gen you have to be disappointed this gen to some degree.
I think a big part of this is because of the longer than average cross gen period,and the way the new machines are designed there was less than double the RAM for games this time around,the Xbox Series S wich is a new factor.

The current gen still has potential to impress, i never seen so much quality in the scale of FFVII Rebirth for example, love how that game looks 😁

Smallest leap,but still im sure they will come up with some amazing games for us that justify that new hardware,specially in the CPU area, and of course the Switch 2 should be a big leap compared to what Nintendo has worked before , can't wait to see it

Killjoy-NL

And the fact that lots of people get sick really quickly when playing something where you aren't mostly stationary.
VR will never been the next big leap for one reason reason

It will never been mainstream because of it causes motion sickness and other forms of health issues for people that's just too much of a limitation.

It doesn't matter how cheap or good the tech gets either, motion sickness Isis the end of all be all of VR.

VR is a cool different way to play games, but that's about it.
What does this have to do with VR being a big leap?

What does this have to do with VR being a big leap?
You said it's the next big leap which implies it will eventually become mainstream. Something cannot be a big leap if it does not become the new standard for the rest of the gaming audience. Motion sickness won't allow for that

The next big leap is AI for both game development and gameplay functionality that hasn't been done before. AI will be the next revolutionary step in changing how games play, look, feel. Especially for RPGs with heavy dialogue and characters who have a ton of talking to do.

Blizzard Entertainment is already using AI for their future titles to train it for its art styles as an example that's well known now.

AI doesn't require for you to spend additional money for a device either, and it won't get you motion sick. And it's going to be a big part of next gen consoles as well.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

You said it's the next big leap which implies it will eventually become mainstream. Something cannot be a big leap if it does not become the new standard for the rest of the gaming audience. Motion sickness won't allow for that
That's how you interpret the question. I'm talking about the tech/experience.

Being a big leap has nothing to do with the tech becoming mainstream.
Nor was it the question of the OP.

The next big leap is AI for both game development and gameplay functionality that hasn'tbeen done before. AI will be the next revolutionary step in changing how games play, look, feel. Especially for RPGs with heavy dialogue and characters who have a ton of talking to do.

AI doesn't require for you to spend additional money for a device either, and it won't get you motion sick.
Sure, AI can be a big leap as well, but VR virtually put you IN the game.

That's as transformative as going from 2D to 3D.

Edit:

And tbh, if AI in games would be at least as smart as us, it would be like playing online multiplayer.
We've done that for years, so I wouldn't consider that as big of a leap as AI in that sense...

Same goes for something like dialogue, it's just an improved version of randomly generated content.
We've already had that for years as well.
It wouldn't be as big of a change for experience as VR is.

Last edited:
That's how you interpret the question. I'm talking about the tech/experience.

Being a big leap has nothing to do with the tech becoming mainstream.
Nor was it the question of the OP.

Sure, AI can be a big leap as well, but VR virtually put you IN the game.

That's as transformative as going from 2D to 3D.
I get what you are saying. I'll agree with you about that to a certain extent but it depends on the genre of the game mostly. If we are solely discussing the next revolutionary step for FPS games, then yes, VR is absolutely the next big thing for FPS titles.

Half Life Alyx is a prime example of that. Sadly, I don't know how or when and if big publishers will continue to put big $$$ investments into those kind of experiences. Valve can do , because they have nothing too lose and are too big to fail and they can afford to be experimental. They are also one of the very few developers who never really had a bad track record to this day.

FPS games are very hard to revolutionize. The gAmeplay is extremely basic. DOOM 2 from the early 90s is essentially the same as DOOM Eternal from 2020. The only big change is obviously the visual and graphically fidelity but the fundamentals are 100% the same.

Walk into a room, shoot demons, find a keycard/skull key, walk into a room, fight, rinse repeat. Of course there are the glory kills, grappling hook and all that, but those are just additional gameplay mechanical that complement the foundational core gameplay systems.

God games are also good, like Black and White. I'd love that in VR, but sadly God games are not as popular as they used to be.

But third person games I am not sure, because in VR your head is the camera and you see the character and psychological you know it's not you, it's also not as immersive as FPS VR to look at the world.

Racing games VR is good too, but to be fair, I drive my car every day and that's as real as its going to get lol.

I hope you understand what I am coming from. AI will be a lot easier to implement across genres invasions ways. VR will be good for select genres and not everyone is going to be able to enjoy it due to the motion sickness.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

I get what you are saying. I'll agree with you about that to a certain extent but it depends on the genre of the game mostly. If we are solely discussing the next revolutionary step for FPS games, then yes, VR is absolutely the next big thing for FPS titles.

Half Life Alyx is a prime example of that. Sadly, I don't know how or when and if big publishers will continue to put big $$$ investments into those kind of experiences. Valve can do , because they have nothing too lose and are too big to fail and they can afford to be experimental. They are also one of the very few developers who never really had a bad track record to this day.

FPS games are very hard to revolutionize. The gAmeplay is extremely basic. DOOM 2 from the early 90s is essentially the same as DOOM Eternal from 2020. The only big change is obviously the visual and graphically fidelity but the fundamentals are 100% the same.

Walk into a room, shoot demons, find a keycard/skull key, walk into a room, fight, rinse repeat. Of course there are the glory kills, grappling hook and all that, but those are just additional gameplay mechanical that complement the foundational core gameplay systems.

God games are also good, like Black and White. I'd love that in VR, but sadly God games are not as popular as they used to be.

But third person games I am not sure, because in VR your head is the camera and you see the character and psychological you know it's not you, it's also not as immersive as FPS VR to look at the world.

Racing games VR is good too, but to be fair, I drive my car every day and that's as real as its going to get lol.

I hope you understand what I am coming from. AI will be a lot easier to implement across genres invasions ways. VR will be good for select genres and not everyone is going to be able to enjoy it due to the motion sickness.
I do get your point, which is fair, but for example:

If NMS was made entirely by AI, would it really change the experience of the game? At best you could get a bit more optimized game with unlimited variety, which by itself would be impressive, but the experience wouldn't really change all that much.

Compare that to playing NMS on a tv vs VR and the difference in experience is quite substantial.

Granted, that's 1st person.
But 3rd person wouldn't change about the VR experience, because it's like you're literally there in the game, as if you can physically touch everything you see.

Take Astro's Playroom, it's like you could physically grab the little robots, or bump your head against the environment.

It's a completely different experience. It even completely changes your perspective of space, because what you see around you completely replaces the physical room you're in as far as your brains are concerned.

Edit:

Then again, it probably depends on how you define 'big leap'.

Maybe you're right, depending on how you look at it.

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Nope, people are just very forgetful and memory tends to be much rosier than the actual realities of history. In fact, I would argue this is one of the biggest leaps mostly due to the normalcy of 60fps which of course can't be illustrated via pics shown below:

PS3 vs PS4

OJTmyiz.jpg
24JdxOR.jpg
JRISzHf.jpg
l9FDVC1.jpg
sKVz5ci.jpg
ZzAMnQn.jpg
bY90qIZ.jpg
I44QHxq.jpg
pbKHUIj.jpg

PS4 vs PS5

FAy6dbv.jpg
lM7fGQE.jpg
QyHVc6V.jpg
qo0q8Ai.jpg
GFSn8UU.jpg
dAjW1ql.jpg
6ImVV8H.jpg
QaRvei4.jpg
anSJeUP.jpg
8YFzKwL.jpg

Last edited:
I do get your point, which is fair, but for example:

If NMS was made entirely by AI, would it really change the experience of the game? At best you could get a bit more optimized game with unlimited variety, which by itself would be impressive, but the experience wouldn't really change all that much.

Compare that to playing NMS on a tv vs VR and the difference in experience is quite substantial.

Granted, that's 1st person.
But 3rd person wouldn't change about the VR experience, because it's like you're literally there in the game, as if you can physically touch everything you see.

Take Astro's Playroom, it's like you could physically grab the little robots, or bump your head against the environment.

It's a completely different experience.
Yeah NMS could be and probably is transformative. I've never played it in VR but I could imagine it so.

AI for NMS could let you speak to NPCs using your voice, storyline and quests would be generated on the fly. There would not be a need for additional voice acting lines for both the quest dialogue or the quest text itself because the AI is creating thst experience for you. This is kind of already being done with Skyrim mode chatgpt integrations but on a much smaller scale. I could only imagine what the developers are already doing behind the scenes.

Imagine playing the next big RPG game whether it's Elder Scrolls 6 or something else like another Baldur Gates. You would be able to physically speak to the NPCs, the NPCs would have their own AI voice and react to your actions, words and behavior.

For many years RPGs have struggled with creating something truly dynamic and random to give players something called "emergent gameplay" the one game that does "emergent gameplay" well right now is Sea of Thieves because there are no real scripted events and the players is the random factor that will determine what kind of gameplay session you'll end up having. Any time I've played Sea of Thieves with friends or alone it was always a very different experience. Obviously it didn't have any fancy AI or anything but the game was designed to rely on random player encounters.

Look at World of Warcraft or any MMORPG, they always try to introduce these so called "public events" but they are just a facade for the same repeated event over and over again just at a different location in the same zone. Destiny 2 also has public events. While they are cool to experience the first time, they become boring and uninteresting after a whole because you already know how it plays out. This is where the AI is going to come in and shape your gameplay session differently than the last time you've played.

You could even implement something like this in competitive games as well like Battle Royales. Instead of having some random loot crate drop at a specific location, the AI could do something much more interesting at any point in time and change the flow of the whole match every time.

Imagine playing a new FPS game where you are in a middle of a big battlefield against aliens. The AI could do something drastic, like generate some sort of a group of mercenaries that decide to join the fight and change the favor of the battle either for against you or someone else. They arrive in combat vehicles on land, or come from underground, or jump down from some warped in spaceship or air military vehicle.

Why did they come to help you or hinder you? Maybe you helped their race in the past from before in the storyline or you did something that pissed them off but you had no idea they existed or that it would happen. The AI would be responsible for this.

Right now games are limited to what the developers put in there with the time and resources that they have. My only concern would be the game assets, those are expensive to create, either AI has to get so good that it's able to create assets on its own. I spend a lot of time with AI Imagery and I've even had the chance to speak with Midjourney's CEO in their official discord during their community hours that happen on whednsdsys. I did ask him if text to 3d ai is happening or not and he said yes, it's in the works but won't happen for a while, at least not in high quality capacity at the moment.

Does this mean this will replace 3d artists? I have no clue and that's a very loaded question. But what I will say is that the gaming landscape is going to be very different in the next decade.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

Yeah NMS could be and probably is transformative. I've never played it in VR but I could imagine it so.

AI for NMS could let you speak to NPCs using your voice, storyline and quests would be generated on the fly. There would not be a need for additional voice acting lines for both the quest dialogue or the quest text itself because the AI is creating thst experience for you. This is kind of already being done with Skyrim mode chatgpt integrations but on a much smaller scale. I could only imagine what the developers are already doing behind the scenes.

Imagine playing the next big RPG game whether it's Elder Scrolls 6 or something else like another Baldur Gates. You would be able to physically speak to the NPCs, the NPCs would have their own AI voice and react to your actions, words and behavior.

For many years RPGs have struggled with creating something truly dynamic and random to give players something called "emergent gameplay" the one game that does "emergent gameplay" well right now is Sea of Thieves because there are no real scripted events and the players is the random factor that will determine what kind of gameplay session you'll end up having. Any time I've played Sea of Thieves with friends or alone it was always a very different experience. Obviously it didn't have any fancy AI or anything but the game was designed to rely on random player encounters.

Look at World of Warcraft or any MMORPG, they always try to introduce these so called "public events" but they are just a facade for the same repeated event over and over again just at a different location in the same zone. Destiny 2 also has public events. While they are cool to experience the first time, they become boring and uninteresting after a whole because you already know how it plays out. This is where the AI is going to come in and shape your gameplay session differently than the last time you've played.

You could even implement something like this in competitive games as well like Battle Royales. Instead of having some random loot crate drop at a specific location, the AI could do something much more interesting at any point in time and change the flow of the whole match every time.

Imagine playing a new FPS game where you are in a middle of a big battlefield against aliens. The AI could do something drastic, like generate some sort of a group of mercenaries that decide to join the fight and change the favor of the battle either for against you or someone else. They arrive in combat vehicles on land, or come from underground, or jump down from some warped in spaceship or air military vehicle.

Why did they come to help you or hinder you? Maybe you helped their race in the past from before in the storyline or you did something that pissed them off but you had no idea they existed or that it would happen. The AI would be responsible for this.

Right now games are limited to what the developers put in there with the time and resources that they have. My only concern would be the game assets, those are expensive to create, either AI has to get so good that it's able to create assets on its own. I spend a lot of time with AI Imagery and I've even had the chance to speak with Midjourney's CEO in their official discord during their community hours that happen on whednsdsys. I did ask him if text to 3d ai is happening or not and he said yes, it's in the works but won't happen for a while, at least not in high quality capacity at the moment.

Does this mean this will replace 3d artists? I have no clue and that's a very loaded question. But what I will say is that the gaming landscape is going to be very different in the next decade.
Yeah, I hadn't thought about it in that way.

I said realistic AI would just be like turning everything into "online multiplayer", but just the fact that everything would feel like actual multiplayer would also be a big leap.

I do think that would still take years to work properly, yet we already have proper VR.
But this too is an irrelevant argument, the same way as I argued it's irrelevant to say VR won't go mainstream for a long time.

So maybe we're both right (if we should call it that). Lol

Top Bottom