• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is this recent generational jump, the lowest ever(PS5/XSX/XSS)?

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I think your gifs kinda prove the point, to be honest. They certainly look very nice but nothing that screams 'generational leap' at me. Being small gifs doesn't really help either since anything can look good in those.
Gifs are gifs. you can always watch the trailers on youtube. But if this leap that is bordering on CG or photorealism isnt doing anything for you then im afraid nothing will.

Hoddi

Gifs are gifs. you can always watch the trailers on youtube. But if this leap that is bordering on CG or photorealism isnt doing anything for you then im afraid nothing will.
I previously posted the Meerkat demo running on my own PC and I found that very striking. That demo has also been remade differently in UE5 and I also find that very striking.

There's still tons of room for improvement in raster graphics and these consoles aren't bringing that.

Pimpbaa

Ya, but storage speed only solves a very small part of the equation. It's a common mistake to think textures make up the majority of video memory in use but it's usually closer to a quarter of that. The rest is made up of things that cannot be streamed from disk.

SSDs are obviously still very useful but the memory savings are only like 4GB in Rift Apart on PC.

What else is there in regards to graphic data besides various texture layers and the framebuffer that take up large amount of ram? The GPU in these consoles ain’t some limitless resource. Throwing more ram at it doesn’t automatically mean better graphics. Especially when you are dealing with midrange GPUs from 2020. None of the current gen games that have performance or graphical issues of some sort are due to the lack of ram unless you are talking about the Xbox Series S.

Hoddi

What else is there in regards to graphic data besides various texture layers and the framebuffer that take up large amount of ram? The GPU in these consoles ain’t some limitless resource. Throwing more ram at it doesn’t automatically mean better graphics. Especially when you are dealing with midrange GPUs from 2020. None of the current gen games that have performance or graphical issues of some sort are due to the lack of ram unless you are talking about the Xbox Series S.
Render targets and buffers are their proper names. These are basically the memory that is consumed after you upload all your graphics data from disk and constitute things like Depth of Field effects and depth buffers and whatnot.

It's easier to show in a screenshot so here's the beginning scene in Rift Apart when using frame capture software. And when we look at how the memory is distributed then it looks like this. Note how the textures are only just over 1GB in this frame and keep in mind that this is after they are decompressed. Then note the index and vertex buffers (IBs/VBs) taking up roughly 2GB each as those are what you'd consider geometry in the frame. Those are (broadly speaking) the things that can be streamed from disk while the remainder of ~12GB total cannot be streamed because they aren't disk data.

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
If all you care about is visual fidelity, then yes. From 4k on PS4 pro to 4k on PS5 is the lowest jump. But the technology around making and running games has increased a ton.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Nope.

I think people just don't realize how much extra processing is happening. Computation is getting pushed hard, frame buffers expanding exponentially, effort required for detail growing exponentially, lighting tech improving exponentially, thousands of more detailed and natural feeling animations packed into everything so you're not stuck with highly refined characters moving like robots, phenomenal new technologies like DLSS to translate all the processed detail into quality of rendered presentation so even past generations are vastly enhanced.

I just don't understand why people are complaining or how they don't see it. I mean I can boot up Elder Scrolls Online and it's dated af but more than enough to satisfy me, so I am easily pleased. However that doesn't blind me to the mind-bending quality that top games are pushing out these days. There is soooo much that was faked before that isn't being faked anymore. I wasn't fooled by those illusions so I'm not blind to things being done for real in realtime now. It looks WAY better to me. Yet I know that pulling it off isn't just about how it is crafted, the cost is really high at 4k, so the hardware has to beef up to insane levels to make it happen and it's getting pushed to the max very easily.

Not only this, but if you focus on the bottom line rather than the top line, I am so impressed by how the whole industry made many things accessible to a lot of devs and mid-tier has never been so afforable and rewarding before. Middleware has made it so many companies can bring their vision to life at a really good quality level where before you had to build the whole thing from scratch and most couldn't do it. This has allowed a lot more concepts and competition and made it so there are so many quality games there is no way you'll have time for them all, so you can be as picky as you want with the kind of game you're in the mood for and have like 5 good options no matter what and it's so easy to have a machine that will play them well. The industry just wasn't like that before and these generational developments have made it accessible like that.

Oh and you know what else existed before but only dropped to consumer-accessible price this gen? OLED. And it's amazing. Finally, after all these years, LCD technology that meets and even surpasses CRT. It has been a long wait and it is a huge difference.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I'm currently loving the crap out of Armored Core VI even tho it doesn't have "high tech graphics".

Majority of Japanese devs realized the this whole graphic race has become pointless.

My bigger problem is tis whole "next gen graphics" is only going one direction, towards realism and nothing else which to me super boring.

This gen has been really disappointing
There has not been 1 game where I would say this is why I need a ps5 or a series X , except maybe flight simulator.
Save us gta 6
Save this gen
"We would like to announce that we have opened up Shark Cards for use in the afterthought of a single-player campaign we're shitting out for GTA6."

Wish Monkey Paw GIF by Leroy Patterson

Blade2.0

One thing to keep in mind is that the PS3 generation was the longest one ever before new consoles came out. But also I think Ray tracing is a huge leap when implemented well. Lighting is so much better than ever before.

Klik

Well i've been in gaming since PS2, and this has been the worst start of any gen. I feel like all AAA games are just made for PS4/X1 with some new upgrades.

Devs should stop focus on 4K res. Graphical fidelity is more important than resolution.I think its too soon for 4k,games would look amazing in 1080p-1440p with DLSS/FSR. Imagine the graphical fidelity when you dont spend so much power on higher res

Last edited:

mrmustard

Banned
Except Flight Simulator this gen doesn't feel like a new gen at all. I don't think midgen refreshes or next gen will change that drastically. The times of huge leaps are over.

kevm3

This generation is the 'lowest jump ever' because we are literally still in the 'last gen' since most games are still cross gen and we also had mid gen refreshes last gen. Hard to compare to other generations when they stopped supporting the older generations after a while and focused solely on the new machine.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Tbh, now the true next gen games are coming, I would say this is the worst gen upgrade wise. I'd had SSDs in my pc for years so I knew what fast load times were. These consoles are pretty pathetic and I don't know why? What's up with them? Or developers?

This gen I went all out on my PC and I am very glad I did. Now I can just buy a new gpu every couple of years and slowly move more and more away from console gaming. I still love consoles but I want them as a secondary device for bedrooms etc. All games need cross accounts and save then I can pick up my progress on console and continue. Like diablo 4, xbox cross buy, play.

And I advise everyone else to do the same. Family and friends are now buying more pcs over console and even where I work we are growing strength to strength each year. I think slowly the public are feeling the same. Consoles are marketing trickery now and have entered into a realm where they offer a much worse option than pc.

Seeing games like jedi survivor and more running at resolutions of under 720p with terrible image quality and performance is really not good. Sure a pc costs 2 to 3 times as much as a console for the initial down payment. But you have years of cpu power there and memory. A good pc will last 10 years with gpu upgrades. Maybe more.

Buy a decent pc now and your stomping consoles. Which have somehow turned into really weak pcs anyway.

Hip Hop

I'm not really impressed by graphics anymore.

Last time I was, it was during the Xbox 360/PS3 era.

I feel like that was the biggest technological leap ever when it came to gaming, and absolutely some games from then look beautiful still today.

I really don't expect a big jump next gen, maybe I'll be wowed again two gaming generation systems from now, if there will be a next gen after next gen.
That's when I expect to be wowed again.

Last edited:

Pimpbaa

Render targets and buffers are their proper names. These are basically the memory that is consumed after you upload all your graphics data from disk and constitute things like Depth of Field effects and depth buffers and whatnot.

It's easier to show in a screenshot so here's the beginning scene in Rift Apart when using frame capture software. And when we look at how the memory is distributed then it looks like this. Note how the textures are only just over 1GB in this frame and keep in mind that this is after they are decompressed. Then note the index and vertex buffers (IBs/VBs) taking up roughly 2GB each as those are what you'd consider geometry in the frame. Those are (broadly speaking) the things that can be streamed from disk while the remainder of ~12GB total cannot be streamed because they aren't disk data.

1GB of textures in a frame?! That can’t be right. The game runs poorly with video cards with lower amounts of vram if the texture settings are too high and lowering the texture resolution fixes that. If the game used so little memory for textures, changing the texture setting wouldn’t do much for performance. But the high texture setting is recommended for 8GB cards, and very high you need 10GB+ of vram.

NahaNago

It probably kinda is. We have the push for 4k, 60fps, ray tracing, and add in as someone mentioned the ssd so you was only going to get so much out of a $400 console(add another $100 to be able to use discs). With that said the PS6 should have a larger leap since most of these should be the standard for next gen so we can see a bigger generational jump.

Ammogeddon

This gen has definitely been the slowest out of the gate. These consoles are capable of some great things but they’ve been hamstrung by a number of factors including cross gen compatibility and the pandemic.

Also, mid gen refresh is a blessing and a curse. In retrospect they’re a little like peaking at Christmas presents too early. It softened the Wow factor coming into this gen.

Last edited:

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Well i've been in gaming since PS2, and this has been the worst start of any gen. I feel like all AAA games are just made for PS4/X1 with some new upgrades.

Devs should stop focus on 4K res. Graphical fidelity is more important than resolution.I think its too soon for 4k,games would look amazing in 1080p-1440p with DLSS/FSR. Imagine the graphical fidelity when you dont spend so much power on higher res

Then I've got a game for you: Immortals of Aveum. The devs focused on frame rate and graphical fidelity using the latest greatest UE5.1 tech. The internal resolution is only 720p and less than 480p on the Xbox Series S. The future is here!

Klik

Then I've got a game for you: Immortals of Aveum. The devs focused on frame rate and graphical fidelity using the latest greatest UE5.1 tech. The internal resolution is only 720p and less than 480p on the Xbox Series S. The future is here!

Series S is gonna hold this gen back.On that you can't focus on neither fidelity or res..

Good thing i went to PC after being console guy for decade. Best thing i've done, especially for racing games.Playing games on 100+hz is magical.

Now when i get my hands on new Quest 3 im gonna be into whole new library of games😁

peish

No! With SSD, we are seeing cool stuff like nanite, giving us really full bodied details that surpassed previous generations, imagine a dustbin having more geometry than last gen kratos

Scotty W

Gold Member
Yes. Look at the difference between 91-95 versus 2018-23 and there’s no contest. Starfield looks like an upgraded version of that Star Wars launch game in the gamecube, sorry to say.

squarealex

The biggest difference in the PS4 generation was in materials quality. In that generation we started seeing PBR materials used so metal started to actually looked like metal, wood like wood, skin like skin etc. The latter was also improved with effects like subsurface scattering ie. how light diffuses through objects (good example is how your ear looks see-through in bright light).

ps3_005.bmp_8r9LkvU.jpg

ps4_002.bmp.jpg

ps3_004.bmp_tWDcQqn.jpg

ps4_004.bmp_cLrcp9U.jpg

The difference in effects quality like particles and motion blur could also be huge:

ps3_002.bmp_mVmf28l.jpg

ps4_002.bmp_O7YOnjX.jpg

Lol, this screenshot PS4 feel like more next-gen than some games today... WTF happens

Boy bawang

Specialized hardware like tensor cores instead of general purpose computing units will still offer a bit of headroom, which combined with the progresses of AI, may still offer the illusion of a new generation for the upcoming 10-ish years. But even then, there's a physical limit to what our computers can achieve and the only way to go beyond the diminishing returns is a hardware revolution, whether in terms of materials or architecture. I believe that the latter is more likely in the medium term and the days of the Von Neumann architecture are limited.

This gen has been really disappointing
There has not been 1 game where I would say this is why I need a ps5 or a series X , except maybe flight simulator.
Save us gta 6
Save this gen
Rockstar refuse to move on from their technicaly 2013 PS3/Xbox 360 game(GTA V)

You better forget about GTA 6 when there is not trailer after 10 years

This jump feels the lowest because of last gen pro consoles
Xbox one X for example is a solid 4k machine.
If there was no one X or PS4 pro then imagine the jump from 1080p to 4k would've been massive

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
It is objectively the lowest jump. Even if there are good looking games out.

SNES to PS1 was bigger
PS1 to PS2 was bigger
PS2 to PS3 was bigger
PS3 to PS4 was bigger
PS4 PRO to PS5 is the smallest.

Just pure facts. Doesnt mean every game is ugly. Its just the smallest jump.

Even when the heavy hitters hit, its not going to be bigger than any of these other generational jumps.

A lot of cope in this thread.

Last edited:
It is objectively the lowest jump. Even if there are good looking games out.

SNES to PS1 was bigger
PS1 to PS2 was bigger
PS2 to PS3 was bigger
PS3 to PS4 was bigger
PS4 PRO to PS5 is the smallest.

Just pure facts. Doesnt mean every game is ugly. Its just the smallest jump.

Even when the heavy hitters hit, its not going to be bigger than any of these other generational jumps.

A lot of cope in this thread.
The last point is actually completely false. We don't have a game yet from Naughty Dog that is built from the ground up for the PS5. It wasn't until 2020 that you saw a true leap between PS3 and PS4 thanks to Last of Us 2. Once you see a new title built from scratch for the PS5 from Naughty Dog then you will see a true generational leap and what is possible.

Oh and don't bring up Returnal, or Spiderman 2 or Ratchet, that is not Naughty Dog and the rest are cross gen titles. Also, doesn't help that covid slowed things down by years.

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
The last point is actually completely false. We don't have a game yet from Naughty Dog that is built from the ground up for the PS5. It wasn't until 2020 that you saw a true leap between PS3 and PS4 thanks to Last of Us 2. Once you see a new title built from scratch for the PS5 from Naughty Dog then you will see a true generational leap and what is possible.

Oh and don't bring up Returnal, or Spiderman 2 or Ratchet, that is not Naughty Dog and the rest are cross gen titles. Also, doesn't help that covid slowed things down by years.
PS4 we saw a massive leap on Day 1 with Killzone Shadowfall. Then we got The Order just 2 years in which absolutely shredded anything on PS3. And then Uncharted 4 in 2016 which did the same. Not to mention Witcher 3, Gears of War 4, and Ass Creed Unity, all less than 3 years in. And no game released since 2020 has since SHREDDED TLOU 2 graphically, because the leap is smaller.

I have no doubts ND will deliver the goods with their new SP game. I dont even know what it is yet and its by far my most hyped game.

PS4 we saw a massive leap on Day 1 with Killzone Shadowfall. Then we got The Order just 2 years in which absolutely shredded anything on PS3. And then Uncharted 4 in 2016 which did the same. Not to mention Witcher 3, Gears of War 4, and Ass Creed Unity, all less than 3 years in. And no game released since 2020 has since SHREDDED TLOU 2 graphically, because the leap is smaller.

I have no doubts ND will deliver the goods with their new SP game. I dont even know what it is yet and its by far my most hyped game.
Demon's Souls Remake was pretty astounding at 60 FPS.

The Order while impressive on a technical aspect is really just an interactive film with almost none existing gameplay.

Witcher 3 actually got massively downgraded from its origin visuals. Maybe it looks good now after all the updates. But it has downgrades at the time.

Unity still looks good to this day. That game looked so good, that it turned into a technical mess full of weird bugs that Ubisoft had to downgrade the rest of their AC titles moving forward. Hopefully, AC Japan will look as good or better.

Uncharted 4, yeah it was good, but I don't think it was as mind blowing as TLOU 2 ended up being, then again that was 4 years prior.

I am hoping for a heavy hitter for 2024, maybe Wolverine will be that game. I have high hopes for Death Stranding 2 as that is my currently most anticipated Sony title. The OG game also looked very good.

As for now we have titles like Demon's Souls Remake and Ratchet and Clank that both look fantastic. I don't think Horizon Forbidden West and GoW Ragnarok are that much better than their predecessors, but it makes sense because they're cross gen. Spiderman 2 looks underwhelming.

I am quite impressed with Mortal Kombat 1, that game has the best looking environments I have ever seen in a video game. Take a look at some 4K 60 footage, and even with compression, they have absolutely raised the bar on environmental 3d game art. There is no denying that.

Thankfully, next year majority of the titles will be current gen only. I believe it's also been confirmed that Call of Duty 2024 is going to be a current generation CoD and will ditch the PS4/X1. I heard it will be Black Ops based on Gulf War. Very curious too see the visuals there, Call of Duty has amazing gun models.

zeldaring

Banned

Is this a joke? ps4 was a true leap to me from the beginning. Order 1886, infamous second son, uncharted 4, and star wars battle front at 60fps. Not to mention the later games way before 2020 Red dead 2, and GOW.

Chronicle

At the beginning of this gen everyone said how it was a new true generational leap unlike from ps3 to ps4.

What happened?

Knightime_X

You can see in many new games how much developers care about 4k: NOT MUCH

Many games are 1080p or even 720p...
Lebron James What GIF by SB Nation

720p AAA games? Or indie games?
Until consoles are like $3,000 its going to be an issue for a hot while longer.

*EDIT* To be very fair, DLSS is the solution.
It just needs to be incorporated more when possible.

Last edited:

Bojji

Lebron James What GIF by SB Nation

720p AAA games? Or indie games?
Until consoles are like $3,000 its going to be an issue for a hot while longer.

*EDIT* To be very fair, DLSS is the solution.
It just needs to be incorporated more when possible.

AA or AAA games:

Jedi Survivor drops to 720p in performance mode, FFXVI (same thing), Immortals of Aveum (720p), Remnant 2 (720 in P mode) and probably few more I can't remember.

None of this games also is close to 4K in graphical modes.

4K is irrelevant to game devs mostly.

Last edited:
Top Bottom