• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is this recent generational jump, the lowest ever(PS5/XSX/XSS)?

Kataploom

Gold Member
Yes. The choppy camera movement hurts my eyes, you can always tell when quality animation is being kept from achieving its full potential, and the controls are usually less responsive. Ratchet & Clank and Spider-Man were prime examples. I tried both at 30 fps and really disliked how they felt. And it was very obvious that the top notch animation work wasn't getting its due.

With slower games this was less of an issue, but even there (TLoU2 being one example that I played for several hours before stopping), the realization that I would very likely get to play these games at 60 fps in the future usually made me wait rather than settle for experiencing them at merely 30 fps.

In retrospect, it was one of the best gaming-related decisions I've made, as it provided me with a ton of de facto PS5 exclusives that still felt fresh to me.
You definitely get it. Games at 60 fps do LOOK better, animations LOOK better, like going from 720p to 4K better. Animations at 30 fps look stiff, but also happens that when a game is running at 60 fps and it was originally designed to run at 30 fps, the animations defects shine too much, impossible not to see.

30 fps games are just way easier to do because they require much less attention to detail to motion, but there's also something, I don't remember what it's called, a game at 30 fps can have less visual detail and feel less "empty" than the same game running at 60 fps.

The problem this generation is not 30 fps vs 60 fps though, most of the time that means more GPU scaling (graphics), since pushing CPU with more dynamic environment, etc. is becoming more and more expensive, time consuming, error prone (that's what's so impressive about TOTK, actually, they DARED and succeeded), the problem is human resources, games are too complex and expensive already, they can't just "add more physics, more this, more that" anymore, they'd take forever. Tools like RT (when it matures), Geometry shader ala Nanite and AI will give dev environments the boost in productivity they need to finally make substancial leaps again since they'd be focusing on more meaningful stuff than faking and optimizing stuff.

60fps warriors are going to tear me apart if I told them I deliberately play games at 30fps on my PC that is fully capable of playing almost every game at 60fps with max setting

For single player games, the extra input lag doesn't matter. 30fps will make me more adaptable when I switch to console
Yes because they're trying to aim for 60fps.

I mean, the hardware is literally doubling the work it has to do and so if devs were aiming for only 30fps there would be significant power left for other graphical enhancements.
If 60 fps didn't come with the loss of fidelity we see in most games I would be much more content with this gen. I see some comments saying "there's barely a noticeable difference between 30 and 60" but I disagree. Most of the time playing at 60 feels like a major compromise.
WTF, no game is designed to run at 60 fps primarily on console... I wish they were, though, I just care about the game looking good enough and being good, but I think the actual reason they can push 60 fps is because budgets and HR are so much at their limits devs still can't push those systems as Nintendo do with their consoles, so there's still a lot of CPU left unused to make a "performance mode" by reducing graphical samples/resolution. Even if games started looking way better than they do, as long as CPU isn't actually pushed to its limits at 30 fps, they can just lower graphical quality to get more FPS.

SeraphJan

WTF, no game is designed to run at 60 fps primarily on console... I wish they were, though, I just care about the game looking good enough and being good, but I think the actual reason they can push 60 fps is because budgets and HR are so much at their limits devs still can't push those systems as Nintendo do with their consoles, so there's still a lot of CPU left unused to make a "performance mode" by reducing graphical samples/resolution. Even if games started looking way better than they do, as long as CPU isn't actually pushed to its limits at 30 fps, they can just lower graphical quality to get more FPS.
I don't understand why are you quoting me for that statement, I'm confused

OCASM

Banned
Thats not right. There's RT for reflections, shadows and ambient occlusion. Turn those Raytracing effects off and the demo's image quality falls apart, fast

The next-gen looking thing in that demo is the woman and her rendering requires no RT.

DavJay

When you eat the first slice of cheese pizza it tastes really good. The second slice is also good but not as great. By the time you are in your third or fourth slice it will taste like ****. That’s how everything works. Except for money and love 😔

oji-san

Banned
Graphically? no doubt.

PS2 with CRT to PS3 with HD Ready LCD was amazing, plus wireless controller wow, biggest upgrade i've had.

PS3 to PS4 with FHD LCD/4K LED was good, clearly playing PS3 games on PS4 was much less visually appealing.

PS4 to PS5 with OLED was in some occasions more beautiful but not huge upgrade visually. SSD? best upgrade on new consoles to me. also most games have a 60fps option is pure bliss.

PS2 to PS3 wins.

Infamous 2nd Son and Killzone shadowfall, both launch games showed off ps4 right out the gate, no pro models involved. As for pro models, ghost of tusbimo and gow both ran fine on my baseline ps4... No pro model needed unless you had 4k TV. I still don't have a 4k TV but have a ps5. I don't see much of a difference so far. I had a 1080p set during ps3 Gen and into ps4, I saw a major difference. Not as big as ps2 Gen into ps3 but it was there.

I haven't had my Mgs4, Gta4, uncharted 2.kz2 moment where I am wowed and say damn that couldn't of been done at all last gen.

I honestly think we weren't ready for 4k and still aren't. TV makers pushed that to sell tvs. Our gpus aren't there yet. If we aimed for lower resolution (1080 /1440p) and upscale for people with 4k sets, more graphics could be pushed and more 60fps levels.
Neither of those two games were leaps, they along with Ryse were considered graphical showcases but only when analysts dug into the graphics in videos or on CG trailers at retail. Ryse and Killzone were top for long enough that people were complaining that the gen wasn't pushing ahead, often blaming the APUs. When the Pro consoles were first announced people though that they would be pointless because the core processor was still the same.

Sethbacca

We're hitting diminishing returns on geometry, the next major gains will be ray tracing and shader acceleration and the like. Each subsequent generation is going to feel a bit like a bit less of an advance than the one before it. We'll never again see the type of progression we saw from the 80s into the 90s.

Romulus

When you eat the first slice of cheese pizza it tastes really good. The second slice is also good but not as great. By the time you are in your third or fourth slice it will taste like ****. That’s how everything works. Except for money and love 😔

Idk, I had more fun all the way up until the PS3 generation, then it started going downhill.

efJMW6e.png
e3fOEEE.png

The jump from PS2 to PS3 was big, well devs didn't minded how games ran

RCU005

Of course the jump is tiny when they are still making cross-gen games.

When the PS3 launched, >95% games were exclusive by its second year.The same for PS4 because they were trying to distant as fast as possible from PS3 complicated development.

But this time, they want to suck the PS4’s cow dry.

We won’t see a truly “next-gen” game for the PS5/XSX even if it’s exclusive.

Developers are just making PS4 games with 4K/60fps, that’s all they will continue doing. No improvements in design, AI, physics, gameplay, etc.

And with every publisher focusing on live service games, they won’t even care to do nothing better.

Killer8

It's not perceived as a bigger jump because last gen we got a mid-gen refresh in the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X. Normally we'd be waiting for the next-gen to enjoy 4K as a big selling point, but we had it 3-4 years earlier than expected due to the pro consoles.

If you go from a launch Xbox One to a Series X, or a base PS4 to a PS5, the leap is much more evident in terms of performance, image quality and visuals. In many ways that does feel like a worthwhile leap. PS4 Pro to PS5 and One X to Series X (and especially One X to Series S) on the other hand can sometimes make you question if new consoles were even needed yet.

Another thing is that this gen has been very slow to get off the ground. Most titles have been cross-gen which means the current-gen version tends to be very similar to the last-gen one but with a better framerate or resolution or some extra visual polish. We are mostly still waiting for the games which have been built from the ground up for PS5/XSX with newer rendering techniques and engines like Unreal Engine 5.

We only got in the last couple of months the first games using UE5 and they are from fairly b-grade developers which aren't even flexing the full feature set of the engine. The closest we've gotten to a big 'next-gen' showcase so far has probably been the Matrix demo.

Ok.. another diminishing returns thread.

It's real. What it means is that once we reach a certain level of fidelity, we have already reached that mind you, better graphic become harder and harder to stand out or requires more and more horsepower to achieve. Basically, going from 1.8TF of GPU performance to 10.2TF... is not going to give you over a 5x jump in IQ.

On another note, can't remember who said it when the first UE5 demo was shown running n the PS5. But he said something along the lines of `good luck maintaining that level of fidelity in a game`.

That's not to say that the PS5/XSX arent already capable of running games at that UE5 promise, hell, we have the matrix demo that is actual working physical proof that it's possible. The problem is the time it would take to make a full-length game at that level of fidelity.

Art direction and design have always been more important than raw horsepower. Games with excellent art direction can always stand out.

But yeah, I think the resources are now more constrained to cost and people than just hardware.

squarealex

I don't think it's the lowest in terms of comfort / smooth.
The upgrade to a SSD has been very beneficial for consoles and games. Games now launch faster and loading almost non-existent for some. The console UIs (at least PS5) respond very quickly and access to the store is almost instantaneous.
In addition, their power allows us to finally have 60fps on a lot of games. (Almost all PS5 games are at 60fps minimum)

The problem is not the consoles themselves but this industry which is going to suicide with games that are more and more expensive and take longer and longer to develop. (5-6 years for a AAA is ridiculous too long)

This leads to several things. Output games on several systems including old-gen (even for Sony games). Support from "old-gen" games to "next gen" upgrades (Cyberpunk did this. Also Horzion with Burning Shores. And the rumor of God of War: Ragnarok, I'm pretty sure they also did this with exclusive to PS5).

Japaneese developers for some continue to release their games on PS4 because they are too many players on PS4 again, even in 2024 (GranBlue Fantasy Relink, Yakuza 8, Persona 3:Reload)
And i'm pretty sure some western game will do this again..

Yeah, this generation is dissapointing, but not form console perspective, more of this industry.

Last edited:
It's not perceived as a bigger jump because last gen we got a mid-gen refresh in the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X. Normally we'd be waiting for the next-gen to enjoy 4K as a big selling point, but we had it 3-4 years earlier than expected due to the pro consoles.

If you go from a launch Xbox One to a Series X, or a base PS4 to a PS5, the leap is much more evident in terms of performance, image quality and visuals. In many ways that does feel like a worthwhile leap. PS4 Pro to PS5 and One X to Series X (and especially One X to Series S) on the other hand can sometimes make you question if new consoles were even needed yet.

Another thing is that this gen has been very slow to get off the ground. Most titles have been cross-gen which means the current-gen version tends to be very similar to the last-gen one but with a better framerate or resolution or some extra visual polish. We are mostly still waiting for the games which have been built from the ground up for PS5/XSX with newer rendering techniques and engines like Unreal Engine 5.

We only got in the last couple of months the first games using UE5 and they are from fairly b-grade developers which aren't even flexing the full feature set of the engine. The closest we've gotten to a big 'next-gen' showcase so far has probably been the Matrix demo.

I can't argue with this. Going from base PS4 to PS5 is a genuine generational leap. One thing I'll say is I wish Sony and MS took the mid gen console upgrade more into consideration when designing PS5/SX and given us a bit more powerful systems. Give us something that could at least cope with UE5 better than what we have. They had a good idea of what next gen entails because they had knowledge of the intricate details of UE5 so they had a blueprint. Hell, Sony even acknowledged this by showing us that glorious UE5 demo back in 2020.

Another fact is that the console makers used to take more of a loss on hardware sales than they're willing to these days. Just a bit better gpu, bit more bandwith, slightly faster CPU and this first batch of next gen-ish games like Remnant 2, Star Wars Survivor, Immortals, etc wouldnt have to run at these piss poor resolutions. It feels like a game like Matrix Demo won't actually be possible as a full game on these consoles and that they had to work with Epic just tp squeeze every bit of optomization just to get that sucker running at all.

Boy bawang

Like others said, you can't escape diminishing returns. RDR2, a 5 years old game, will holds its own today.

There might be future breakthroughs at a hardware level, but if the architecture of our computers continues to rely on silicon transistors and a physical partition of the computing and memory units, there's always going to a limit to how far be consoles can go.

Yes. Because people demand 4K @ 60fps so most of the resources of these beefy new machines go toward achieving that. Whereas in the past with new consoles progress was all about just an increase in photo realism and visual fidelity. Now the focus has moved to game performance vs improvement in fidelity. People get what they wanted, so they shouldn’t complain!

Like others said, you can't escape diminishing returns. RDR2, a 5 years old game, will holds its own today.

There might be future breakthroughs at a hardware level, but if the architecture of our computers continues to rely on silicon transistors and a physical partition of the computing and memory units, there's always going to a limit to how far be consoles can go.

Personally I'm done with Consoles. After Nintendo releases the Switch 2, that will most likely be the last console I ever buy and just go PC only.

amigastar

I really really like the DualSense controller. Adds so much to something like Returnal.
Yep, imo Microsoft really should make a competitor controller to the DualSense. Would love to play with better Rumble effects.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
In terms of computational power? No. But there are diminishing returns when it comes to human perception and fidelity. It takes larger and larger improvements in hardware to yield transformative improvements.

And it's only going to get worse. In another generation games will be path traced with CGI-quality assets and hardware limitations will cease.tonbe the main limitations to how a game looks, but rather just the skill of the devs and quality of assets.

In terms of computational power? No. But there are diminishing returns when it comes to human perception and fidelity. It takes larger and larger improvements in hardware to yield transformative improvements.

And it's only going to get worse. In another generation games will be path traced with CGI-quality assets and hardware limitations will cease.tonbe the main limitations to how a game looks, but rather just the skill of the devs and quality of assets.

Not to mention the development time

The leap from PS3 to PS4 is small, while the leap from PS2 to PS3 was very big

You got smaller generational leap over time

I would say PS4 is the last time I was extremely impressed with graphics with Tomb Raider Definitive Edition. Nowadays I'm like the game looks good but doesn't have the same impact as it used to

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
I can't argue with this. Going from base PS4 to PS5 is a genuine generational leap. One thing I'll say is I wish Sony and MS took the mid gen console upgrade more into consideration when designing PS5/SX and given us a bit more powerful systems. Give us something that could at least cope with UE5 better than what we have. They had a good idea of what next gen entails because they had knowledge of the intricate details of UE5 so they had a blueprint. Hell, Sony even acknowledged this by showing us that glorious UE5 demo back in 2020.

Another fact is that the console makers used to take more of a loss on hardware sales than they're willing to these days. Just a bit better gpu, bit more bandwith, slightly faster CPU and this first batch of next gen-ish games like Remnant 2, Star Wars Survivor, Immortals, etc wouldnt have to run at these piss poor resolutions. It feels like a game like Matrix Demo won't actually be possible as a full game on these consoles and that they had to work with Epic just tp squeeze every bit of optomization just to get that sucker running at all.
I think the specs on this hardware is reasonable. That demo ran at 1440p/30fps IIRC, and they likely thought that was totally fine for a "base" system running high-end graphics tech on this hardware (it's better than the PS4 base, and AA today is much better). The issue is that gamers started demanding 60fps in everything, RT was pushed much harder by Nvidia which meant gamers wanted it on console, and overall all this stuff just ramped up extremely quickly. An extra 10-15% of performance would be great but would not move the needle on the situation we are dealing with now.

Last edited:

Fbh

The leap from PS3 to PS4 is small, while the leap from PS2 to PS3 was very big

You got smaller generational leap over time

And it's going to keep getting smaller. As tech matures, improvements each gen will be smaller while the extra cost in hardware will continue to be high.

Look how far 10 years took us from, say 1999 to 2009.
Then compare games from 2013 to 2023.

You could release games like Killzone Shadow Fall or Ryse this year and while they wouldn't be getting awards for their graphics, they wouldn't look out of place.

Last edited:
And it's going to keep getting smaller. As tech matures, improvements each gen will be smaller while the extra cost in hardware will continue to be high.

You could release games like Killzone Shadow Fall or Ryse this year and while they wouldn't be getting awards for their graphics, they wouldn't look out of place.

That's basically my point. I haven't really seen any difference in graphical quality when comparing games coming out in 2010 and 2020 and past that. It mostly been 60 FPS and shorter loading times

EqCGNIu.png

You can see how MGS 1 and 2 are just 3 years apart
I don't think they looked 3 years, some folks who were around their releases think that way

As I said before

Compare the models of PS3 Metal Gear Solid 4 and PS4 Metal Gear Solid 5

I bet you wouldn't even notice the difference

That's how I feel when it comes to graphical power difference nowadays.

Last edited:

Pimpbaa

This was a mid gen refresh, nothing more, not a true "next gen".

There will never be a ”true next gen”. The days of massive leaps in graphics are long gone due to diminishing returns. The specs on current console are most definitely “next gen”, but we are just filling in the small details in graphics now. If we get PS5 Pro and an Xbox equivalent, next gen (as in PS6) will be even more disappointing to you.

Last edited:
There will never be a ”true next gen”. The days of massive leaps in graphics are long gone due to diminishing returns. The specs on current console are most definitely “next gen”, but we are just filling in the small details in graphics now. If we get PS5 Pro and an Xbox equivalent, next gen (as in PS6) will be even more disappointing to you.
This is what I was thinking, the days of true generations are done.

Though tbf, I was disappointed when RE4R was announced to be cross gen, but it looked as impressive as I wanted it to on PC.

Hoddi

AC Unity is the perfect example of this because it genuinely looks better than almost any other game on the market today. You just can't judge it by the console versions because those are still stuck at 900p. But I played through it at 4k last year and it's absolutely stunning.

Killer8

As I said before

Compare the models of PS3 Metal Gear Solid 4 and PS4 Metal Gear Solid 5

I bet you wouldn't even notice the difference

That's how I feel when it comes to graphical power difference nowadays.

The biggest difference in the PS4 generation was in materials quality. In that generation we started seeing PBR materials used so metal started to actually looked like metal, wood like wood, skin like skin etc. The latter was also improved with effects like subsurface scattering ie. how light diffuses through objects (good example is how your ear looks see-through in bright light).

ps3_005.bmp_8r9LkvU.jpg

ps4_002.bmp.jpg

ps3_004.bmp_tWDcQqn.jpg

ps4_004.bmp_cLrcp9U.jpg

The difference in effects quality like particles and motion blur could also be huge:

ps3_002.bmp_mVmf28l.jpg

ps4_002.bmp_O7YOnjX.jpg

The biggest difference in the PS4 generation was in materials quality. In that generation we started seeing PBR materials used so metal started to actually looked like metal, wood like wood, skin like skin etc. The latter was also improved with effects like subsurface scattering ie. how light diffuses through objects (good example is how your ear looks see-through in bright light).

ps3_005.bmp_8r9LkvU.jpg

ps4_002.bmp.jpg

ps3_004.bmp_tWDcQqn.jpg

ps4_004.bmp_cLrcp9U.jpg

The difference in effects quality like particles and motion blur could also be huge:

ps3_002.bmp_mVmf28l.jpg

ps4_002.bmp_O7YOnjX.jpg

That's what I mean

Everything looks more realistic on PS4 due to those tech you mentioned but compare the games with PS5 games and you wouldn't even notice the difference.

For me diminishing returns is a thing. I still game on my PC at 1080p 30 to 60fps and I had that build since 2014 - 2015

Hoddi

This is what I was thinking, the days of true generations are done.

Though tbf, I was disappointed when RE4R was announced to be cross gen, but it looked as impressive as I wanted it to on PC.
I mostly disagree because there's still tons of room for improvement. The new consoles were just stuck with a lousy 8GB > 16GB increase which is nowhere near enough for a true generational leap.

My own 2080 Ti can already run this demo in realtime, for example. The only problem is that it runs out of memory.

Fbh

AC Unity is the perfect example of this because it genuinely looks better than almost any other game on the market today. You just can't judge it by the console versions because those are still stuck at 900p. But I played through it at 4k last year and it's absolutely stunning.

Exactly.
Not only that but it has impressive crowd simulations unlike most "next gen" games

Pimpbaa

I mostly disagree because there's still tons of room for improvement. The new consoles were just stuck with a lousy 8GB > 16GB increase which is nowhere near enough for a true generational leap.

A small increase in ram but a vast increase in storage speed (and hardware decompression), and considering most games stream data (and the PS5 and Xbox series consoles are really good at that) this really isn’t a big issue. Besides I don’t think the GPUs in the PS5 or Series X could handle beyond 16GB of graphic data per frame. Texture detail is already very high, and more ram isn’t going to allow for more RT effects or better lighting.

Last edited:
There is two parts to this.
1. It was only a small jump from the last gen pro consoles to these new ones.
The XOX was 6tflops, and was a really impressive peice of kit. Probably the best console released in its era.
The jump from 6tflops to 12 is not a big jump in an era of diminshing returns.
Infact, most would not be able to tell the difference side by side.

2. Devs are fucking lazy and slow to adopt new tech.
Both consoles have mesh and Primitive shaders, and no third party has adopted them.
Xbox has SFS, and no dev has adopted them.
These things need to be adopted via changes to their engine, so unless UE puts it in, or they change their new own engines, then I can't be done.

Romulus

Of course the jump is tiny when they are still making cross-gen games.

When the PS3 launched, >95% games were exclusive by its second year.The same for PS4 because they were trying to distant as fast as possible from PS3 complicated development.

But this time, they want to suck the PS4’s cow dry.

We won’t see a truly “next-gen” game for the PS5/XSX even if it’s exclusive.

Developers are just making PS4 games with 4K/60fps, that’s all they will continue doing. No improvements in design, AI, physics, gameplay, etc.

And with every publisher focusing on live service games, they won’t even care to do nothing better.

But even when they make games without the PS4 cross gen they still look average.

That was not the case last gen. Infamous and Killlzone were launch games and looked drastically better. There's nothing remotely similar to that 2 years in for ps5.

Hoddi

A small increase in ram but a vast increase in storage speed (and hardware decompression), and considering most games stream data (and the PS5 and Xbox series consoles are really good at that) this really isn’t a big issue. Besides I don’t think the GPUs in the PS5 or Series X could handle beyond 16GB of graphic data per frame. Texture detail is already very high, and more ram isn’t going to allow for more RT effects or better lighting.
Ya, but storage speed only solves a very small part of the equation. It's a common mistake to think textures make up the majority of video memory in use but it's usually closer to a quarter of that. The rest is made up of things that cannot be streamed from disk.

SSDs are obviously still very useful but the memory savings are only like 4GB in Rift Apart on PC.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

I think the reason why people are so underwhelmed is because the devs who typically have set those high bars have phoned it in this gen by tying themselves to last gen games like GG did with Horizon or have gone completely MIA like Crytek.

So far we have zero or only last gen output from studios that released games with massive generational leaps last gen in the first 3 years of this gen. This was their output last gen.

- KZSF - GG
- Ryse - Crytek
- Infamous - Sucker Punch
- DriveClub - Evolution Studios
- AC Unity - ubisoft montreal
- The Order - Ready At Dawn
- Battlefield 1 - DICE
- Uncharted 4 - ND
- Witcher 3 - CD Project
- Rise of Tomb Raider - Crystal Dyammics
- Batman Arkham Knight - Rocksteady
- Doom - ID Tech
- Quantum Break - Remedy
- Division - Massive

When 99.99% of these top tier studios havent shown up this gen or have limited themselves to last gen, are we really surprised that we are not seeing a big leap? When ND, Crystal Dynamics, CD project, ID Tech, Sucker Punch and other studios finally show up, people will see what these consoles can truly do.

Thankfully, Remedy and Division are about to release a couple of incredible looking next gen games that will set the bar when they come out.

alan-wake-2-alan-wake.gif

giphy.gif

This thread was made before E3. Ive seen enough at E3 and Gamescom to say that the leap is going to blow people away when these games finally arrive.

People should see a massive generational leap in the gifs below. spoiler tagging them to not keep gifs from loading for everyone else.

9f750f1633c641498f1d3d9381fa77e13a6d92db.gifv

IpEyFxe.gif

JC7qqJt.gif

5eMkKFU.gif

cyvQMBX.gif
3N3Fy42.jpg

FyW_icfX0AEOYNM

FyW_ibyX0AEPvBD

Last edited:

Hoddi

I think the reason why people are so underwhelmed is because the devs who typically have set those high bars have phoned it in this gen by tying themselves to last gen games like GG did with Horizon or have gone completely MIA like Crytek.

So far we have zero or only last gen output from studios that released games with massive generational leaps last gen in the first 3 years of this gen. This was their output last gen.

- KZSF - GG
- Ryse - Crytek
- Infamous - Sucker Punch
- DriveClub - Evolution Studios
- AC Unity - ubisoft montreal
- The Order - Ready At Dawn
- Battlefield 1 - DICE
- Uncharted 4 - ND
- Witcher 3 - CD Project
- Rise of Tomb Raider - Crystal Dyammics
- Batman Arkham Knight - Rocksteady
- Doom - ID Tech
- Quantum Break - Remedy
- Division - Massive

When 99.99% of these top tier studios havent shown up this gen or have limited themselves to last gen, are we really surprised that we are not seeing a big leap? When ND, Crystal Dynamics, CD project, ID Tech, Sucker Punch and other studios finally show up, people will see what these consoles can truly do.

Thankfully, Remedy and Division are about to release a couple of incredible looking next gen games that will set the bar when they come out.

alan-wake-2-alan-wake.gif

giphy.gif

This thread was made before E3. Ive seen enough at E3 and Gamescom to say that the leap is going to blow people away when these games finally arrive.

People should see a massive generational leap in the gifs below. spoiler tagging them to not keep gifs from loading for everyone else.

9f750f1633c641498f1d3d9381fa77e13a6d92db.gifv

IpEyFxe.gif

JC7qqJt.gif

5eMkKFU.gif

cyvQMBX.gif
3N3Fy42.jpg
I think your gifs kinda prove the point, to be honest. They certainly look very nice but nothing that screams 'generational leap' at me. Being small gifs doesn't really help either since anything can look good in those.

Top Bottom