• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It only took nearly 6 years for Final Fantasy XV to pass 10m sold

yazenov

Who knows?

I suspect FF XVI is going to have some issues if it is PS5 exclusive. FF XV was released on just about everything (need confirmation if these numbers include FFXV pocket edition or whatever its called)

What issue are they going to face if they release it on the PS5 and PC?

The majority of their sales will come from these platforms anyways and the Xbox would have accounted for maybe 10% of the total sales, which SE will recover from the Sony exclusive deal and marketing.

And LOL about the decline in Franchize sales. You're wrong. SE also had additional revenue from the DLC whiich wasnt accounted for in the sales., and later release the Royal addition as a complete pakage. I'm sure they'll do just fine skipping the Xbox version.

Last edited:

abcdrstuv

Banned
I loved 15.. played it after the fix to the final city and that long solo stretch.. so much cut content, I'd pay 100 bucks for a 'director's cut'/remake.. one of the few projects where the gameplay and storytelling are in sync.. loved the cadence of it

any person that bought this should feel ashamed as a human being.

Bought twice. doubly not ashamed. It gets boring, though. The quests across the game are very repetitive. The only quests I liked was when you had to venture into a dungeon, but, then even that got repetitive, too. It's a decent game, bordering good, but certainly nothing great. Got it on PC so I can run my 3080 Ti through it. Performs solid at 4k, maxed.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
any person that bought this should feel ashamed as a human being.
Actually im one of the tarnished ones, i preordered the game and completed it.
Season 3 Mistake GIF by The Simpsons

fermcr

Final Fantasy XV and Final Fantasy VII Remake are absurdly over-hyped.

Don't understand all those "perfect" reviews from several gaming sites. Something Smells Fishy :lollipop_poop: :lollipop_poop: :lollipop_poop:

scydrex

I'm glad i played this garbage with the PS plus collection. After a while playing i just put it in easy a do the story. This game sucks and is just garbage. If I paid something for this i would have felt like a ripoff. Jesus what a bad game it's.

Edit: no one i know who played this game liked it.

Last edited:
Loved Final Fantasy 15 (Royal Edition that is, not the broken mess it was at launch). Fuck the haters. They are just salty they haven't managed to drop the nostalgia goggles for a decade or so and are stuck in the past.
Plenty of people are nostalgic for things they played when they were younger, but have you ever stopped to consider why it is that only Final Fantasy is now widely reviled by its erstwhile fanbase? Compare it to Zelda: there were certainly plenty of people who complained that the series was going downhill post-Majora's Mask, culminating with general distaste for Skyward Sword, but when Breath of the Wild rolled around all was forgiven because it was an actually good game.

The obvious answer is simple: nostalgia doesn't actually prevent people from accurately assessing the quality of new releases, when a series is going downhill people are actually capable of recognizing that fact, and Final Fantasy has been going downhill in a big way. This isn't even taking into account the obvious staff turnover and Square Enix's mismanagement of the development process.

Last edited:
Surprised it sold that much to be honest was pretty barebone at launch
the Royal Edition added new content but it was still pretty bad FF game

For comparison, didn't Persona 5 sell around 5 million copies? Also sure its budget is notably smaller than FFXV's, too.

FFXVI should do better off the bat than XV did, the team seems to be more focused this time around.

The GOAT Final Fantasy game and the GOAT JRPG. Nothing comes close to it. Glad to hear it has been successful.

Both of these are debatable and you know it 😂

I doubt FF games cost as much as western games for 2 factors: Japanese devs don't get paid as much, and most conversations have no mocap/vocal acting. Most Japanese games have their notorious text convos that you need to spend reading instead of enjoying the fucking game/story.

The fact they probably don't get paid as much as they deserve is depressing, just like with anime artists at studios ☹

Last edited:

begotten

Worst mainline FF game in the franchise, and I fucking hate 2 and 8. Only "just okay" thing about 15 was the Ardyn DLC

Last edited:

buenoblue

Played it on PS4 pro on release and really enjoyed it. Such a visual feast. I own in through the PS4 collection of ps5. I'm tempted to play it again on ps5. Hmmmm.

omegasc

No it’s not. Pacing is awful, combat is crap, character development is non-existent, the world is empty, missions suck, plot is told through text, it’s an unsupported mess, etc.
well I liked it and there's nothing you can do to change that. :messenger_sunglasses:
on second thought, give me a million dollars (dr evil style) and I'll hate any game you tell me to! what a bargain!

Last edited:
Final Fantasy is one of those brands you think is bigger than it actually is. Huge amongst gamers but ER a game with 0 prior history out sold a legacy franchise in a month...insanity.

kiphalfton

well I liked it and there's nothing you can do to change that. :messenger_sunglasses:
on second thought, give me a million dollars (dr evil style) and I'll hate any game you tell me to! what a bargain!

You seem to have wack taste.

Maybe you should become a video game journalist?

Last edited:

omegasc

Final Fantasy is one of those brands you think is bigger than it actually is. Huge amongst gamers but ER a game with 0 prior history out sold a legacy franchise in a month...insanity.
yeah, Elden Ring is not even made by a company with previous successful games, a big director and a famous mainstream writer working on it!

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

Absolutely not. Especially when the protagonist is called ... Clive. This new art style and general lack of wow factor that the series really seemed to have during the early days and 32 bit era.

I'm hating on the company in general. Haven't enjoyed a final fantasy since X with the only exception since that date being WOFF. Which went very Kingdom Hearts towards the end. But they don't really make the most of their franchises and honestly their decisions in gaming are just highly questionable. I remember when Eidos was sold immediately I thought terrible idea. When they became the publisher for Sleeping Dogs, completely wrong choice of publisher.

Mmm I'm not sure if that's true. The development process was just the circumstances of SE mismanagement as a whole. Plus my whole point is that it's taken close to six years and for three of those it's been dirt cheap so it's not really that impressive.

This is supposed to be a hugely anticipated title that's taken years to develop across multiple platforms, a flagship title from a historically major franchise and it's sold less than some titles stuck on a single platform in three times the length of time some titles have been on the market.

Kinda classic Medievil Final Fantasy setting with a better combat system than FF15 and probably a better overall game/story ( Hiroshi Takai )
This is the most Ive been excited for a FF16 since X

OsirisBlack

Banned
Absolutely not. Especially when the protagonist is called ... Clive. This new art style and general lack of wow factor that the series really seemed to have during the early days and 32 bit era.

I'm hating on the company in general. Haven't enjoyed a final fantasy since X with the only exception since that date being WOFF. Which went very Kingdom Hearts towards the end. But they don't really make the most of their franchises and honestly their decisions in gaming are just highly questionable. I remember when Eidos was sold immediately I thought terrible idea. When they became the publisher for Sleeping Dogs, completely wrong choice of publisher.

Mmm I'm not sure if that's true. The development process was just the circumstances of SE mismanagement as a whole. Plus my whole point is that it's taken close to six years and for three of those it's been dirt cheap so it's not really that impressive.

This is supposed to be a hugely anticipated title that's taken years to develop across multiple platforms, a flagship title from a historically major franchise and it's sold less than some titles stuck on a single platform in three times the length of time some titles have been on the market.
Clive is pretty badass and we haven’t seen the final art for the game. No need to hate on the company if you feel that strongly about their products just move on. FFXV in its current state is a good game, sorry you didn’t enjoy it.

Rat Rage

Square Enix are fucking morons. They should have shifted the mainline Final Fantasy games to handhelds. There, they would have had no competition. They could have been able to continue doing traditional, turn based games. They could have avoided entering the western 3rd person action game graphics arms race. They could have avoided turning mainline FF into a freaking action game.
IMHO, after Final Fantasy 13, they should have made the switch. I bet, a proper mainline Final Fantasy 15 game on handhelds, could have sold 10 million copies in ONE year alone. They would have established a new, easier to please consumer base on a platform, where graphics don't matter that much (therefore you don't have to spend your entire budget on them), to producse something that stands out. They would have stood out not matter what. Spending an AA home console budget on a handheld market would have yielded them an AAA quality game (just in terms of visuals ans presentation).
If they actually did that, they would have been a good chance they could have developed Final Fantasy 16, 17 and maybe 18 by now, with all of them selling 10 million each easily.
HOWEVER... having said that, I just realized, this would have meant they would have needed to focus on stories, content and gameplay with these hypothetical handheld sequels. I'm not sure if they still had the talent to do that after FF 12... Anyway, it would have been worth trying (and maybe hiring the right people) instead of trying to suddently be an AAA western action game developer, which they ultimately miserably failed at.

K2D

Banned
Another thread for everyone to voice their opinion on a game series/genre they're not interested in, or better yet; let everyone know how overhyped it is.

here we go again GIF

Mindman

I would replay this if I could change places with the dodge and attack buttons to make the controls match every other game ever made.

Nope. I'm talking about FFXV. AKA, the GOAT FF game and GOAT JRPG game to grace this planet.

XVI is going to have to be a once in a generation game to even be considered in the same breath as XV.
Welcome back D.Final

Last edited:

McCarth

Wildly undeserved. If XV didn’t have the Final Fantasy name, it would be unanimously discussed as one of the worst AAA RPGs ever created.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
The final fantasy remake took the sting out of the franchise for many, that game was loaded.

Three

Game was given free on one of the services at some point right? I'm surprised they didn't tout player numbers at some point but 10M sold copies is decent.

Top Bottom