• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It's the multiplats that matter!

What launch games excite you?

• Total voters
This made me realise that 5 of the games I want are exclusive.

Demon's Souls, Spider-Man, Sackboy, Godfall, Bugsnax. I doubt I'll get all of them when I buy the system, lol, I'll be very very very broke.

Beyond Light already preordered and AC/Watch Dogs are only worth the price when there's a discounted Gold edition.

examples of the bad faith arguments? what would count as empirical proof?

I don't even know if i count this as empirical proof.
Why do I need to provide examples? It's just a poll. I don't really care if you think I've made up people making the argument, the poll now exists either way.

There is no empirical proof, just speculation and random opinion polls.

Concern

You wont really get a proper answer you can use to your summary here OP.

Since 95% of Gaf has PlayStation they'd say exclusives matters most.

Thats the only reason threads like this are made. To echo the same opinion since we know what the majority of plays on.

Common sense and sales clearly show otherwise. Casuals are the majority overall and call of duty, gta, fortnite, and etc show the numbers.

Thats the only reason threads like this are made. To echo the same opinion since we know what the majority of plays on.

Common sense and sales clearly show otherwise. Casuals are the majority overall and call of duty, gta, fortnite, and etc show the numbers.
So you sound upset about Gaf being full of PlayStation fans, but mention sales... Which console leads sales this gen? What are the reasons? Things like brand loyalty and where your friends are don't work since 360 was at the top last gen especially for CoD fans. You might be forced to consider the role exclusives play in purchaseing decisions.

Try and explain Switch sales , as well.

Last edited:

reksveks

Why do I need to provide examples? It's just a poll. I don't really care if you think I've made up people making the argument, the poll now exists either way.

There is no empirical proof, just speculation and random opinion polls.

I am just interested in whether these bad faith arguments are actually a thing that people say.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Multiplats matter, exclusives also matter. Multiplats sell more than exclusives, that's a fact, but I don't think that makes them matter more or less. I play pretty much all the major exclusives on both systems this gen. My library has far more multiplats, probably because they are just more numerous.

If this poll is to suggest or imply that Sony will sell more consoles due to exclusives mattering more...I think the reason is deeper than this. Sony has tenure, mindshare, is launched in more countries and is more of a trusted brand. They've done their proving early on. It's harder to unseat someone on the throne than to defend it.

Microsoft is giving them one hell of a run for their money next gen so it'll be interesting to see. Neither console had any major blunders this time around. No $600 console, no underpowered systems, no PR nightmares.

Last edited:

Concern

So you sound upset about Gaf being full of PlayStation fans, but mention sales... Which console leads sales this gen? What are the reasons? Things like brand loyalty and where your friends are don't work since 360 was at the top last gen especially for CoD fans. You might be forced to consider the role exclusives play in purchaseing decisions.

Try and explain Switch sales , as well.

Who's talking about console sales? Everyone knows that cod sells beyond anything Sony or ms put out. Don't be so upset.

My point is proven. Only "debate" you want in this thread is people agreeing with your fanboy logic.

Who's talking about console sales? Everyone knows that cod sells beyond anything Sony or ms put out. Don't be so upset.

My point is proven. Only "debate" you want in this thread is people agreeing with your fanboy logic.

And what do you make of Nintendo exclusives outperforming CoD? Why switch platforms from one gen to another if CoD is all that matters?

MiguelItUp

From this list definitely Cyberpunk:2077, however Call Of Duty Black Ops: Cold War is a runner-up. Maybe Assassin's Creed: Valhalla? Even if just a little bit.

Everything else is meh to me honestly. I'm sure I'd be excited about Spider-Man if I played the previous game, but I haven't.

Looking forward to Scorn and The Medium as well.

Multiplats matter, exclusives also matter. Multiplats sell more than exclusives, that's a fact, but I don't think that makes them matter more or less. I play pretty much all the major exclusives on both systems this gen. My library has far more multiplats, probably because they are just more numerous.

If this poll is to suggest or imply that Sony will sell more consoles due to exclusives mattering more...I think the reason is deeper than this. Sony has tenure, mindshare, is launched in more countries and is more of a trusted brand. They've done their proving early on. It's harder to unseat someone on the throne than to defend it.

Microsoft is giving them one hell of a run for their money next gen so it'll be interesting to see. Neither console had any major blunders this time around. No $600 console, no underpowered systems, no PR nightmares.
The poll exists on its own independent of anything I want to suggest or believe. It's just statistics and they can be easily used to lie about something. I might have had a specific impetus for creating the poll and I don't mind arguing the validity of that but in the grand scheme it's just an innocuous poll asking your viewpoint

tillbot8

Banned
Mulltiplats in my estimation will be so close in looks and performance it will be hard to tell so I still think that exclusives will be key!

Concern

And what do you make of Nintendo exclusives outperforming CoD? Why switch platforms from one gen to another if CoD is all that matters?

Nintendo is in its own league. Its been in its own league since the wii.

Platform switching was more a thing of circumstances. Ps3 took an extra year and let ms get some more spotlight. This gen Microsoft basically self sabotaged themselves from the beginning.

And even then there are casuals that didn't even think twice switching platforms just because of circumstance.

Exclusives are a good reason to pick one over the other but at the end of the day, the casual market doesn't care and they are the biggest part of the market share.

Skyfox

I'll be playing my existing collection on next gen. I want any performance upgrades going.

Nothing coming out excites me really but ive a ps5 and sx day 1.

Stuff like psvr and games that had one x enhancements are what I'm after and my existing backlog has some crackers.

Hopefully some next gen games that appeal will be announced soon.

Nintendo is in its own league. Its been in its own league since the wii.

Platform switching was more a thing of circumstances. Ps3 took an extra year and let ms get some more spotlight. This gen Microsoft basically self sabotaged themselves from the beginning.

And even then there are casuals that didn't even think twice switching platforms just because of circumstance.

Exclusives are a good reason to pick one over the other but at the end of the day, the casual market doesn't care and they are the biggest part of the market share.
Yeah I'm just not sure it's true. My brother is a good example of a casual, he plays pubg and call of duty he also does Skyrim and fallout. Before the Bethesda acquisition he was considering switching to PS5 for this next generation because of the exclusive games he's missed out on. He went Xbox over PS4 this past generation to stick with his friends. He's now back on team Xbox again because he won't miss a new fallout or elder scrolls game. Microsoft nearly lost him because of their lack of exclusives, he was even willing to leave his group of friends behind but how do they get them back? Exclusives. I mean you have to take my word for it but he absolutely is what you would call a casual gamer most of his time gaming in a given year is divided between only two games.

ToadMan

I used third party sites to figure out what all was a launch game, it appears Cyberpunk comes out post-launch so not sure it belongs? Maybe close enough it should be included, though.

While I'm personally quite keen to try out CP2077 and hope it's as good as the hype, it's not really a next gen launch game... It's been delayed twice. Due to those delays it happens to be coming out at the time when the new consoles are launching - it should've been out near 6 months ago now and if it had, no one would be talking about it as a launch title.

At launch it will only be a BC title too with a next gen patch due next year.

So I can't vote for that.

FrankWza

What’s crazy to me is MM and CP2077 being so close. Must be the next gen patch wait that’s keeping that number down. Also, that DeS is that much higher than MM is telling. The attach rate on these 2 is going to be high.

Tulipanzo

examples of the bad faith arguments? what would count as empirical proof?

I don't even know if i count this as empirical proof.
Yeah, that survey is from before Bloodborne, and near 100% of PS4's best exclusives, released. Performance used to be a bigger factor, because there wasn't much else.

While I'm personally quite keen to try out CP2077 and hope it's as good as the hype, it's not really a next gen launch game... It's been delayed twice. Due to those delays it happens to be coming out at the time when the new consoles are launching - it should've been out near 6 months ago now and if it had, no one would be talking about it as a launch title.

At launch it will only be a BC title too with a next gen patch due next year.

So I can't vote for that.
It's the only multiplat truly competing so I may as well leave it

Last edited:

Concern

Yeah I'm just not sure it's true. My brother is a good example of a casual, he plays pubg and call of duty he also does Skyrim and fallout. Before the Bethesda acquisition he was considering switching to PS5 for this next generation because of the exclusive games he's missed out on. He went Xbox over PS4 this past generation to stick with his friends. He's now back on team Xbox again because he won't miss a new fallout or elder scrolls game. Microsoft nearly lost him because of their lack of exclusives, he was even willing to leave his group of friends behind but how do they get them back? Exclusives. I mean you have to take my word for it but he absolutely is what you would call a casual gamer most of his time gaming in a given year is divided between only two games.

As I said, some casuals truly don't care about anything and will just stay with same console. Even if there drm, always online, etc etc. I mean who you think bought Xbox ones at launch? Fanboys which are usually hardcore gamers but also the casuals who don't come to forums or anything.

A friend of mine is exactly the same way. He gives zero fucks about anything but cod and 2k. And even cod has been ignored by him for years. But he's dumped a shitlad of money in 2k microtransactions.

Has always had a Playstation and will just keep it that way because its what he's played since the ps1. Sony is just a much larger global brand to top it off. Only some ridiculous circumstances like i stated before will cause a massive shift in marketshsre.

As I said, some casuals truly don't care about anything and will just stay with same console. Even if there drm, always online, etc etc. I mean who you think bought Xbox ones at launch? Fanboys which are usually hardcore gamers but also the casuals who don't come to forums or anything.

A friend of mine is exactly the same way. He gives zero fucks about anything but cod and 2k. And even cod has been ignored by him for years. But he's dumped a shitlad of money in 2k microtransactions.

Has always had a Playstation and will just keep it that way because its what he's played since the ps1. Sony is just a much larger global brand to top it off. Only some ridiculous circumstances like i stated before will cause a massive shift in marketshsre.
So how would you predict this generation turns out?

Concern

So how would you predict this generation turns out?

I expect it to continue more or less the same. Xbox sales can drastically pick up depending on how they push their console and services. Xbox biggest market is America and uk while the whole world buys Playstation.

They can gain back some marketshare but how much is dependent on them and also if Sony makes any shitty decisions.

Kusarigama

For me it's Demon's Souls and Destruction All-Stars, which I appreciate is a weird mix.
My reasoning is that both of these games are the only 'exclusive' PS5 only games.

I'd definitely be more excited for Destruction All-Stars if Sony had actually showed off more of the game. I like the concept but we still haven't really seen any gameplay which is crazy for a brand new IP that's launching in a few weeks.

I'd be more excited for Cyberpunk 2077 if the next gen patch was ready day one.

I don't really think any of the other multiplats are that exciting.
This is my thinking too. Word-to-word.

Vawn

Banned
I feel like most Xbox players say multi-platform games are all that really matters.

Nintendo fans say exclusives are all that matter.

But, PlayStation fans say it's the total library - the combination of great exclusives and great games that may also be on one or more other platforms, that counts.

THEAP99

Banned
Cyberpunk is just available via BC at launch is it not?

People expecting anything beyond a better running current gen version of the game on consoles are going to be disappointed.
Please stop this. CD RED have reiterated time and time again that Cyberpunk will be taken advantage of the power the new consoles have to offer, day one. While the full next-gen upgrade with ray tracing and such comes next year.

GHG

Please stop this. CD RED have reiterated time and time again that Cyberpunk will be taken advantage of the power the new consoles have to offer, day one. While the full next-gen upgrade with ray tracing and such comes next year.

So if they are taking full advantage of the power of the new consoles then where will they find the power to add upgrades and ray tracing?

If you want to believe bullshit then go ahead.

Where's the option "buying consoles day 0 is dumb"?

the thread is asking what games you're excited about you can be excited about them without planning to buy a console day one.
Also, there should be a DMCVSE option. 120 FPS. That’s a next gen feature for sure.

I'm not a fan of the franchise so I wasn't sure how much they did to improve it. I did give an other option though.
Yeah I understand that too - take it out and the result is laid bare for everyone...

Medium should have been there though.

Medium actually wasn't listed as a launch game on the websites I checked.
It’s not really an argument it’s facts. GAF will argue the opposite because of console wars.

I would say the only thing that's factual is that some games are so big the publisher is going to put it out on as many platforms as possible to make as much money as possible. if your game is as big as Skyrim they'll even port it to the switch so many years later.

But conflicting with this idea is the fact that exclusives need to be high quality if they are to push hardware. Sony has put a lot of investment in making their exclusives prestige experiences, and this is true regardless of how you personally feel about their games. Saying a lot of effort wasn't put into games like God of war is like claiming avengers endgame isnt a summer blockbuster.

generally speaking timed exclusivity is the only real exclusivity especially considering backwards compatibility options. It's how much time that's the question and if it had no bearing on the console wars you'd have to wonder why bother at all. I would assume companies like Sony have their own internal metrics and know what the reasons are that they do so well. Just keep in mind exclusive games like The last of us make the top 50 best-selling games of all time, you can say imagine if it was multiplied but then the same would be true for the Nintendo exclusives.

I would say I'm on hardcore gamers the question is much more clear especially when you consider how few people on a forum such as this would tell you a call of duty game was the best game of the year of any given year. I'm a shooter fan and there isn't a year in history where I would say call of duty was the best game.

ToadMan

CD RED didn't say that though - they said CP2077 would have improvements day one on next gen and a patch would follow.

Those improvements are the same any BC game would get - unlocked frames gives an FPS improvement and dynamic res will give a more consistent high res. CD RED aren't doing anything themselves for this release - its the console HW and OS that is adding the improvements.

Usually the ones getting excited about launch games exclusively are the ones getting the consoles day 1 though.
I mean I personally have no way of guaranteeing I can get a console day one. Those damn scalpers beat me. and no I am not stupid enough to spend more money than the console is worth just to get it early.

I guess it's a little weird because it's hard to get excited about the games coming out soon unless you're getting a new console right? PC gamers can certainly be excited for the multiplat games and I'm sure their presence on the forum might skew the results a bit. I was kind of hoping people would just vote based on what games pique their interest though and not necessarily based on what they know they're going to be playing this fall. For instance I threw a vote to cyberpunk even though I might wait for the next gen patch in 2021. Im absolutely excited about the game I'm just also able to wait.

I would say the only thing that's factual is that some games are so big the publisher is going to put it out on as many platforms as possible to make as much money as possible. if your game is as big as Skyrim they'll even port it to the switch so many years later.

But conflicting with this idea is the fact that exclusives need to be high quality if they are to push hardware. Sony has put a lot of investment in making their exclusives prestige experiences, and this is true regardless of how you personally feel about their games. Saying a lot of effort wasn't put into games like God of war is like claiming avengers endgame isnt a summer blockbuster.

generally speaking timed exclusivity is the only real exclusivity especially considering backwards compatibility options. It's how much time that's the question and if it had no bearing on the console wars you'd have to wonder why bother at all. I would assume companies like Sony have their own internal metrics and know what the reasons are that they do so well. Just keep in mind exclusive games like The last of us make the top 50 best-selling games of all time, you can say imagine if it was multiplied but then the same would be true for the Nintendo exclusives.

I would say I'm on hardcore gamers the question is much more clear especially when you consider how few people on a forum such as this would tell you a call of duty game was the best game of the year of any given year. I'm a shooter fan and there isn't a year in history where I would say call of duty was the best game.
The situation seems a lot like SEGA in its prime to me. Meaning as long as someone can say “well I don’t care about Sonic and Virtua Fighter” then the entire benefit of buying their console is negated. Sony is in this position with far less of a legacy lineup to boot. It’s way easier to say “well I don’t care about whatever Naughty Dog is doing next or the new Spider-Man”.

But for the sake of argument let’s say PS5 will continue the tradition of Sony bringing the most cutting edge games over the course of the generation; how many of these games is a single person liable to even purchase due to their individual taste? 6 or 7...maybe?

The situation seems a lot like SEGA in its prime to me. Meaning as long as someone can say “well I don’t care about Sonic and Virtua Fighter” then the entire benefit of buying their console is negated. Sony is in this position with far less of a legacy lineup to boot. It’s way easier to say “well I don’t care about whatever Naughty Dog is doing next or the new Spider-Man”.

But for the sake of argument let’s say PS5 will continue the tradition of Sony bringing the most cutting edge games over the course of the generation; how many of these games is a single person liable to even purchase due to their individual taste? 6 or 7...maybe?

Yeah I do agree with the way you're looking at it. For me just one franchise can be enough to sway me though. I think it'd be very interesting if Sony ended up with a stable of franchises that rivals Nintendo while still being a good enough platform for multiplats. For some of us they're already there but clearly in terms of sales Nintendo is at another level with their exclusives. For me the main problem with the Xbox this generation was their exclusives even the ones in franchises I generally like weren't really up to snuff. If games like fallout 5 and starfield are exclusive though, I pretty much have no choice but to get a series x or upgrade my computer. Considering the number of parts I need for my computer I would probably start over from scratch in which case the series x would be the much cheaper option, especially if I'm trying to get the same performance or better. I would have never bought a PS3 if I wasn't interested in playing the killzone franchise. Then I got into resistance uncharted and last of us. When it became clear Microsoft was going to lose the exclusive battle and was going to ship the less powerful console on top of it the PS4 was an easy choice at that point even if I had sunk more hours in my 360 the prior gen. The same thing could easily happen to me again. I get a series x because I need to play the new fallout or starfield and then start trying out the other things I was missing. And it could be that Sony doesn't have as strong a generation as this one in terms of exclusives I can't just make assumptions. Plus some of my favorite franchises have been abandoned seemingly. I got into Xbox for Halo I got into PlayStation for killzone, Microsoft ruined the Halo franchise when they gave it to 343 but I'm holding out hope Halo infinite is still something special. Sony have no announce plans to continue the killzone franchise. And as exciting as demon souls is to me there's no guarantee I'll get anything like it again this generation there's no murmurs of a bloodborne 2 for instance. What I'm trying to say is for me exclusives are always what matters, but like you say not all of them they are ones I will try if I have the console but the franchise that will get me to buy a console are a select few kind of like how I'm waiting for Metroid prime 4 to come into existence to buy a switch

Guilty_AI

I mean I personally have no way of guaranteeing I can get a console day one. Those damn scalpers beat me. and no I am not stupid enough to spend more money than the console is worth just to get it early.
Day 1 or 10 or 30, doesn't matter. Getting consoles early is never worth it. Its better to wait at least an year before getting one, two years ideally

I guess it's a little weird because it's hard to get excited about the games coming out soon unless you're getting a new console right? PC gamers can certainly be excited for the multiplat games and I'm sure their presence on the forum might skew the results a bit. I was kind of hoping people would just vote based on what games pique their interest though and not necessarily based on what they know they're going to be playing this fall. For instance I threw a vote to cyberpunk even though I might wait for the next gen patch in 2021. Im absolutely excited about the game I'm just also able to wait.
In that case, you should include games other than just the ones getting released alongside the consoles. For people not getting the consoles so early nor planning to play these games any time soon, if the game comes out this year or the next doesn't really matter. Many here are probably waiting for titles like HFW or Halo Infinite

THEAP99

Banned
So if they are taking full advantage of the power of the new consoles then where will they find the power to add upgrades and ray tracing?

If you want to believe bullshit then go ahead.
what don't u understand between day one advantages vs a full-on upgrade that's coming later?

Cyberpunk 2077 will eventually get a Playstation 5 upgrade sometime next year. But when it launches next month, the publishing team wants you to know that it will play pretty great from day one without any extra support. That’s because they’ve said as much on their latest advertising posters, which were spotted in Europe and shared on Reddit.

The company's latest investor call, as summarised by Reddit user Tavarish, details the reasoning behind the delay, and gives us some insight into CD Projekt's plans for PS5. For starters, the developer isn't worried about launching alongside next-gen systems primarily because of backwards compatibility.

Secondly, the firm says that Cyberpunk 2077 will be playable on PS5 from day one, and will apparently look better on PS5 than it will on PS4. It's unclear whether this means that the game will receive some sort of update on next-gen machines, or whether the point simply refers to the jump in hardware power.

In any case, Cyberpunk 2077 will be getting a "more robust update" in 2021, supposedly adding all of the next-gen bells and whistles that you'd expect. This update will be free for everyone who owns the game on current-gen consoles. This specific plan was already partly confirmed by CD Projekt Red earlier this year, when it announced that the game would receive a free upgrade on Xbox Series X.

Last edited:

THEAP99

Banned
CD RED didn't say that though - they said CP2077 would have improvements day one on next gen and a patch would follow.

Those improvements are the same any BC game would get - unlocked frames gives an FPS improvement and dynamic res will give a more consistent high res. CD RED aren't doing anything themselves for this release - its the console HW and OS that is adding the improvements.
Okay so yes basically what I just said. Cyberpunk day one at launch this November will take advantage of the ps5 power and thus play better than the ps-4 version. With a full upgrade coming next year. Got it. Simple. We just don't know what exactly the day one benefits are as they've been vague and shakey in regards to the console versions

The company's latest investor call, as summarised by Reddit user Tavarish, details the reasoning behind the delay, and gives us some insight into CD Projekt's plans for PS5. For starters, the developer isn't worried about launching alongside next-gen systems primarily because of backwards compatibility.

Secondly, the firm says that Cyberpunk 2077 will be playable on PS5 from day one, and will apparently look better on PS5 than it will on PS4. It's unclear whether this means that the game will receive some sort of update on next-gen machines, or whether the point simply refers to the jump in hardware power.

In any case, Cyberpunk 2077 will be getting a "more robust update" in 2021, supposedly adding all of the next-gen bells and whistles that you'd expect. This update will be free for everyone who owns the game on current-gen consoles. This specific plan was already partly confirmed by CD Projekt Red earlier this year, when it announced that the game would receive a free upgrade on Xbox Series X.

Rodolink

i thought it was going to be a list of only multiplat games.

anyway obviously I voted Cyberpunk and demon's.

sackboy for me and wife

Desudzer10

This has to be the worst launch i can remember. None of these games for either brand is appealing at all. Cyberpunk is but it's not a next gen game yet.

Top Bottom