• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What CPU are you using on your gaming machines?

What CPU are you using?

• AMD Zen1 / Zen+

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • AMD Zen2 (includes PS5 and Series S/X)

Votes: 26 16.1%
  • AMD Zen3

Votes: 31 19.3%
  • AMD Zen4

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • AMD with 3DVCache

Votes: 36 22.4%
  • Intel 12/13th Gen

Votes: 45 28.0%
  • Intel 11th Gen

Votes: 5 3.1%
  • Intel 10th Gen

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • Intel 9th Gen

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Intel or AMD from older generations (includes PS4 and Xbox One)

Votes: 18 11.2%
  • ARM CPU (eg: Chromebook, Apple, etc)

Votes: 4 2.5%

• Total voters

winjer

Gold Member
If you overclock. With a proposed 6.5GHz turbo speed, I won’t have to, and that will make the difference.

You must be very tech illiterate, if you can't do something as basic as changing the CPU multiplier on an unlocked CPU.
Seriously, the main selling point of a "K" CPU is that it has an unlocked multiplier.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Still rockin' 8700K which is starting to show it's age, but I can't do a complete platfrom upgrade for now and I'd rather wait and see for what 8th gen Ryzen will bring.

Last edited:

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
You must be very tech illiterate, if you can't do something as basic as changing the CPU multiplier on an unlocked CPU.
Seriously, the main selling point of a "K" CPU is that it has an unlocked multiplier.
No shit, Sherlock. Point is I don’t have to, not that I can’t.

Besides, why the hell do you care? Is it coming out of your pocket?

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
No shit, Sherlock. Point is I don’t have to, not that I can’t.

Besides, why the hell do you care? Is it coming out if your pocket?

The point is that they are the same CPU. Just with 200 extra Mhz.
You'll be lucky to get even 5% extra performance in games. If any at all.
Of course, it's your money, but don't try to make it seem like a good investment. Because it is not.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
The point is that they are the same CPU. Just with 200 extra Mhz.
You'll be lucky to get even 5% extra performance in games. If any at all.
Of course, it's your money, but don't try to make it seem like a good investment. Because it is not.
I said nothing about a good investment. I said one was temporary as I’m buying the next.

It’s like you have a hard-on for telling people how things should go. Get a clue and move on.

Last edited:

Nvzman

I just rebuilt to a 13700k in the beginning of the year. I still use air cooling, so right now my case has 7 fans all manually setup for airflow, so I get pretty decent temps. The cooler itself is a noctua NH-D15. Beastly CPU.

There are many Ryzen 9 cpus but it does narrow it down a bit lol
I was almost right… i have the 7900x, NOT the xt. Was totally thrown off when you called it a gpu, i was like uh…i dont think so, but im a newb at the technical shit so coulda easily made a mistake…(which i did! 4070ti is my gpu)

Last edited:

r0x0rman

Gold Member

Still plays everything I throw at it lol
In my office I have a 6700k with a super clocked GTX 1080 and a 1440p monitor. I was curious how badly it would run Baldur's Gate 3 so I fired it up and it's running at 60 fps with ultra settings detected in the starting area. Since it's on the original AIO, I've never repasted and it's super hot here right now I decided to drop some of the graphic settings (that I couldn't even notice) and capped the fps at 45, which is fine for me in this type of game. I imagine later I may have to play on my newer PC with a 1200k. I mostly play older games on this PC but I'm always amazed how well it performs.

Sethbacca

Still rocking an i7-4770k/1070. I probably won't upgrade the GPU anytime soon, but with the prices of 12/13th gen cpus tanking I've been considering upgrading my CPU/mobo recently.

Drake

i5-13600k

Before this I was using a 4790k and honestly it still worked fine for gaming, but after almost 10 years it was time to upgrade. The upgrade wasn't even that much anyways. I just bought a mobo, CPU and ram. Total cost was like 600 bucks. And I'm rocking DDR5 now as well. I'll be using this CPU for 8-9 years as well. By the time I upgrade this my case and PSU will be almost 20 years old.

Last edited:
i5-13600k

Before this I was using a 4790k and honestly it still worked fine for gaming, but after almost 10 years it was time to upgrade. The upgrade wasn't even that much anyways. I just bought a mobo, CPU and ram. Total cost was like 600 bucks. And I'm rocking DDR5 now as well. I'll be using this CPU for 8-9 years as well. By the time I upgrade this my case and PSU will be almost 20 years old.

My 4690k died recently so I replaced it with a 4790k on the cheap. I don't play the latest releases on PC, so that and my 1070 is still going strong for anything I actually play. And it's beyond sufficient for any other computing tasks I do. Going to ride this sucker out as long as possible.

PeteBull

Oced 8700k here , u should make more choices coz for example my cpu beats all zen1/2 and even some zen3 cpu's from amd yet i had to chose option of older than 9th intel gen who have much weaker cpu's.

Look here how oced 8700k combined with high end gpu(rx 4080) can still rock in cp2077 on ultra, including rt

yamaci17

ryzen 2700 zen+
boosted with 3400 cl14 + tight timings

i turned my machine into a high fidelity 30/40 FPS macihne

nikos

9900k, which is the oldest component in my PC because it was built at its release.

I've since been upgrading my GPU (currently have a 4090), added memory, faster storage, etc.

I think it's time to finally replace it. Waiting to see what Intel releases this year.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

7800x3D with a 4080
5900x with a 2080s
5800h with a 3060 (laptop)
Steam deck Zen 2

Snapdragon 8 gen 2 on my android tablet.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
R2Y363VTkF-1.jpg

Holding out for a 14500.

XxV2Heg.png

Top Bottom