• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What CPU are you using on your gaming machines?

What CPU are you using?

• AMD Zen1 / Zen+

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • AMD Zen2 (includes PS5 and Series S/X)

Votes: 26 16.1%
  • AMD Zen3

Votes: 31 19.3%
  • AMD Zen4

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • AMD with 3DVCache

Votes: 36 22.4%
  • Intel 12/13th Gen

Votes: 45 28.0%
  • Intel 11th Gen

Votes: 5 3.1%
  • Intel 10th Gen

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • Intel 9th Gen

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Intel or AMD from older generations (includes PS4 and Xbox One)

Votes: 18 11.2%
  • ARM CPU (eg: Chromebook, Apple, etc)

Votes: 4 2.5%

• Total voters

winjer

Gold Member
Let's see what are the most used CPUs by our neogaf community.
Vote on the generation of your CPU and then you can specify the model in the comments.
Because some people have several machines, each user can vote pick 3 options.
You can also talk a bit about how happy you are with your current CPU, and if you plan on upgrading any time soon.

Last edited:
AMD 7950X3D, 16 cores/32 threads. Bought it 4 months ago. At the same time I bought 64GB of DDR5 RAM and got an AM5 motherboard.

Previous CPU was a 9900K (8c/16t) that i had since mid 2019. What a difference. In some games I'm getting more than double FPS. I had upgraded to a 4080 and i guess it was bottlenecked.

I could've got a 7800X3D but i don't just game on my PC. the extra 8c/16t come in useful. I was originally looking at the 13900K but it runs too damn hot and uses a fuck load of power.

In idle this CPU runs hotter than my old 9900K by ~10C but when under load it's about the same in games (60C) and under intensive workloads it runs cooler. The 9900K could go to 95-100C but this CPU doesn't go past 89C no matter what I do. I'm using the same cooler/case/fans as I did with the 9900K.

Last edited:

T4keD0wN

12600kf, e-cores disabled, ryzen 2800x for work and stuff, ive tried gaming on it years ago and it was horrendous. Never going anything amd ever again.
I might pick up 14600kf to play cyberpunk dlc if it uses LGA1700.

Last edited:

smbu2000

My desktop has a 3d cache AMD cpu, the 7800X3D (8cores/16threads). I sold my previous i9-12900KS and switched over to the AMD system not too long ago.
My gaming laptop has an i9-12900HX cpu (8p/8e cores). Can't really change the CPU in a laptop, so it's what I'll be using for awhile.

Very happy that I switched over from the i9-12900KS to the 7800X3D.

Still plays everything I throw at it lol
had that one too. what GPU do you have and what resolution?

i could start to tell it was struggling so upgraded to the 9900K in 2019. probably could've got another year or two out of it to be honest. I was playing at 1440p 60fps on it. if i remember right my GPU was a 1070 and then a 2080 for about 9 months.

LostDonkey

had that one too. what GPU do you have and what resolution?

i could start to tell it was struggling so upgraded to the 9900K in 2019. probably could've got another year or two out of it to be honest. I was playing at 1440p 60fps on it. if i remember right my GPU was a 1070 and then a 2080 for about 9 months.

1070G1 at 1440p

I'm on my second AIO watercooler and I've thrown an NVME in over the original sata SSD and it's still a decent machine.

I do plan on upgrading maybe next year

Still rocking my overclocked i7-4770k paired with a 12 Gb 3060. Most of my "AAA" gaming is on PS5/Series X, PC mostly for indies and RTS.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
They are the same CPU, just with higher clocks.
Higher clocks means they are not the same CPU. ;)

Besides, until it releases, we have no idea what else may have changed, but that’s irrelevant anyway as people buy what they want.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Gonna buy my first amd build for my daughter.

I guess there is no point going above 7800X3D?

I've got a b650 tomahawk motherboard for it.

So, don't need a 7950X3D?

Interfectum

13600k, beast i5.
That's mine.

Fitting nice and snug under all this gear:
4m2KA9t.jpg

Roxkis_ii

I'm rocking an AMD Ryzen 7 6800HS.

Had to disable boost because it was hitting like 90 degrees in some gaming sessions. Its seems to be rated to hit like 95 degrees before throttling, but I just feel uncomfortable having a device run that hot. 🤷🏽‍♀️

Thank you for reading Roxkis CPU story time.

winjer

Gold Member
Higher clocks means they are not the same CPU. ;)

Besides, until it releases, we have no idea what else may have changed, but that’s irrelevant anyway as people buy what they want.

They are unlocked CPUs, so you can pick the clock speed.
So yeah, they are the same thing.

Top Bottom