• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan issues false N. Korea missile alarm instead of todays 6.3-mag earthquake alert

Status
Not open for further replies.

DemonNite

This is how wars can start... gosh

A Japanese official mistakenly announced the launch of a North Korean missile instead of sending an alert about a strong earthquake.

An official at the western Osaka aviation bureau emailed 87 airport offices to say a North Korean missile had been launched, Japan's transport ministry said.

The official was trying to send a message to check on possible airport damage immediately after the 6.3 magnitude earthquake struck near the southwestern city of Kobe, injuring dozens of people and destroying several homes.

But instead the official dispatched a pre-prepared alert ready to go in the event of a North Korean missile launch.

The incorrect message was retracted six minutes later but at least one domestic flight was delayed due to the mistake.

Japan is on full alert ahead of an expected mid-range missile launch by North Korea, with Patriot missiles stationed in its capital to protect the 30 million people who live there.

In addition to PAC-3 batteries, Aegis destroyers equipped with sea-based interceptor missiles have been deployed in the Sea of Japan (East Sea).

On Wednesday officials in the Japanese city of Yokohama were left red-faced after mistakenly announcing the launch of a North Korean missile to 40,000 followers on Twitter.

Saturday night's earthquake was in the area where a magnitude 7.2 quake killed more than 6,400 people in 1995.

The Meteorological Agency warned there may be aftershocks for about a week.

http://news.sky.com/story/1077637/north-korea-missile-alert-after-japan-blunder

as for the real news about the earthquake...

TOKYO — A strong earthquake shook Japan on Saturday near the southwestern city of Kobe, leaving 22 people injured, seven of them seriously – mostly elderly tripping while trying to flee, police said. No one was killed.

The magnitude 6.3 quake left some homes with rooftop tiles broken and cracked walls, while goods fell off store shelves, according to the Meteorological Agency and Japanese TV news footage.

The agency had earlier said the magnitude was 6, but later upgraded it.

The quake was centered on Awaji Island, just south of Kobe, at a depth of 15 kilometers (9 miles).

The quake was in the area where a magnitude 7.2 quake killed more than 6,400 people in 1995.

TV news footage showed that some areas on the island had liquefied, a common effect of strong earthquakes. Japan is among the most quake-prone nations in the world. In March 2011, northeastern Japan was struck with a giant quake and tsunami.

The agency warned there may be aftershocks for about a week.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/12/japan-earthquake-2013-several-injured_n_3074014.html

paully

Banned
And let the waves of irrational fear and panic begin. The 2010 decade is going to be interesting with all this North Korea (and Iran) fear mongering and threats of war. North Korea is asking for it, but I think the whole nuclear weapons situation is going get very ugly.

Replicant

ktFpPd1.jpg

I wonder what this button do?

My first Earthquake was in Tokyo. I just arrived at the business Hotel and decided to relax by surfing the net when I suddenly felt the room swaying to the left and right. I immediately assumed that I got light-headed due to being tired after long travel. It's not until later that I found out from the concierge that the swaying was caused by an Earthquake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom