• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Music (Pop, rock and all 'dat) |OT|

Tain

I don't want to break character from "grumpy old fuck" but Babymetal were a blast and a half. Thought I knew what to expect from watching so many live shows, this was twice that. I think a big part of it is that the new songs are just so good live. I know I've said around here that Karate is the catchiest song I've heard all year. after seeing it live, it's a contender for best song of the year, period. if I have one complaint, it's that they only did one Black Babymetal song, and it was the one I wanted to see least (GJ!). Sis.Anger would have killed it.

special shout out to 99% of the audience for being normal, non-creepy, not-weird people. there was a family next to me and the father and little daughter looked like they were having the times of their lives together. right on, you guys.

Just saw them myself and yeah, that was a fucking blast. Totally agree about Karate. I also hadn't really seen any of their live performances and was pretty impressed at their choreography all told.

Now the wait to see Perfume...

Peru

Just saw them myself and yeah, that was a fucking blast. Totally agree about Karate. I also hadn't really seen any of their live performances and was pretty impressed at their choreography all told.

Now the wait to see Perfume...

Who share choreographer with Babymetal ofc

Jealous. Really liked the latest Vamp.

I can't even keep track of all their releases and collaborations. but My Heart Will Go On is some of my favorite 8 minutes or so of music this year

--

lute meets idol v. 3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGrwDQNn5H4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQA3T-U7aDQ

I wish I understood more of this (even japanese subtitles would suffice) but the Namaudon girls are hilarious

New フレデリック
https://youtu.be/oCrwzN6eb4Q

their next video will just have a thousand dancing girls

Larsa

Randomly stumbled upon BPM15Q on youtube just now and found out they released a digital single today. After being mildly freaked out by the timing, I bought it and I really, really like it.

Randomly stumbled upon BPM15Q on youtube just now and found out they released a digital single today. After being mildly freaked out by the timing, I bought it and I really, really like it.

I've actively followed them since they started and somehow I missed out on this single even existing :\

e:lol, listening to it now. trap, what/?

Discovered Shintaro Sakamoto; His old band did psychedelic-rock, but his solo work expands to 70's music in general like withYou Just Decided.You Can Be A Robot, Too is like catchy Sesame Street-like tune with a dystopian undertone.

I want to get more into Japanese music, but I'm not really into J-pop, rock or metal. For most the part, I've stuck with Jazz groups like Soil and Pimp Sessions and indigo jam unit, but I discovered some indie musicians like Towa Tei. Any recommendations for a picky listener such as my self?

I want to get more into Japanese music, but I'm not really into J-pop, rock or metal. For most the part, I've stuck with Jazz groups like Soil and Pimp Sessions and indigo jam unit, but I discovered some indie musicians like Towa Tei. Any recommendations for a picky listener such as my self?

well Towa Tei definitely isn't indie, but if you like him, you might want to look into other Shibuya-kei groups and maybe even some city pop.

Cornelius
Pizzicato Five
capsule
Flipper's Guitar
Kenji Ozawa
Cibo Matto

city pop

Seaside Lovers
Kikuchi Momoko
Toshiki Kadomatsu
Especia (modern city pop revivalist idol group)

also "jpop" (or "pops") literally covers pretty much everything that isn't rock/metal/jazz/hip hop by the way

They released this as a live limited single I think last October but it's nice to finally be able to buy it. I don't know if you're already familiar with Yunomi, who produces their music, but there's lots more stuff in a similar vein. And since Nicamoq is Yunomi's vocalist, that mix is basically a BPM15Q album minus Rinahamu.

daydream

Banned
I was not, but yeah, this is fucking dope.

edit: actually I remember hearing that really good Lovely Summer-chan remix

yeah, she remixed several of her songs

speaking of lovely summer-chan, she just released a new single. wish her stuff wasn't so hard to acquire, though

vanty

015cc0dc.jpg

Jintor

Charisma dot com got even better since the last time I saw them. Laser song is a great opener. They got dancers. Crowd participation is wild. Selfie song is a riot live.

Fucking loved it.

Kurita

Let's just get all the scandal/gossip thingy out of the way then

Kawatani Enon announced that he's getting divorced blah blah blah
He wrote a post on his blog about it, too, saying that the divorce was already planned but for obvious reasons he couldn't say he was dating another girl. So you could say that he "cheated" but like, if he was getting divorced anyway, I'm not sure that counts...
It includes apologies to the fans, which baffles me. I mean, last time I checked he didn't do anything to me so. Keep banging whoever you want, the only thing I'm allowed to ask from you is music.

Still firmly believe that people who work for gossip magazines are shit human beings.

He wrote a post on his blog about it, too, saying that the divorce was already planned but for obvious reasons he couldn't say he was dating another girl. So you could say that he "cheated" but like, if he was getting divorced anyway, I'm not sure that counts...
It includes apologies to the fans, which baffles me. I mean, last time I checked he didn't do anything to me so. Keep banging whoever you want, the only thing I'm allowed to ask from you is music.

Still firmly believe that people who work for gossip magazines are shit human beings.

What happened to the woman he was sleeping with? Her career still completely, utterly ruined? At least he still has two successful bands. He got off easy compared to her, and it's still too much.

The Japanese celebrity industry is real fucked. Who cares who sleeps with whom?

Kurita

What happened to the woman he was sleeping with? Her career still completely, utterly ruined? At least he still has two successful bands. He got off easy compared to her, and it's still too much.

The Japanese celebrity industry is real fucked. Who cares who sleeps with whom?
No she came back on TV (this week I think)

Aizo

Banned
Too much I wanted to reply to that I realized I hadn't read in the thread.

Just how I feel. I saw a magazine clipping on the train last week that said Becky no longer holds any feelings for him, and I was like "Huh. New info came out, I guess?" Glad to hear that she's back on TV. I do have to admit that my perspective about his songs about love really changed for a bit after the scandal, but I never held anything against him, though I know you don't care about lyrics as much as other things. I hope that all this crap can be put behind the two of them now.
first reply is perfect. who gives a crap if you like it or not, people are having a good time on both sides of the stage. it's harmless.

hardest thing that fucker's ever listened to is probably Anthrax

people who complain about something ruining metal almost universally have shit taste in metal.
This is so true.
we need a new world's end girlfriend album sometime soon
This is also very, very true.
Pleasantly surprised by Ayu's new album, it's great!
My girlfriend is a huge fan, so she was extremely surprised by the sudden release. Nice that the reception has been pretty good so far. Dumb way to release an album, though.
legit jealous of that show
Jealous. Really liked the latest Vamp.
I love world's end girlfriend so much, and when I went to see him play live last time I discovered that Vampillia puts on one of the best live shows I've ever seen, so I'm really looking forward to it.

I just wish Kashiwa Daisuke would show himself at these shows and play :(

Kurita

I guess Sony realized that Okazaki Taiiku's latest music video was buzzing in Japan so they decided to not geolock it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTwAz1JC4yI
Really looking forward to his first album, he's like an electro version of Kyuso Nekokami, similar humor and all. He released like 6 albums when he was indie but they're impossible to get, which is a shame. He also did a pretty sick remix of a Dramatic Alaska song last year which is how I discovered him.

Jintor

oh, one thing interesting about the charisma dot com concert. since jiidoru is all about selfies for that song and that song only you're allowed to take phone photos during the concert. lmao.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Boris announced a new album, "Crossing Waltz", which will only be available at their merch table at an upcoming show.

CiZ1UBcUUAAb5mW.jpg

Loving the cover. I'm sure it will sound nothing like what I expect it to!

I guess Sony realized that Okazaki Taiiku's latest music video was buzzing in Japan so they decided to not geolock it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTwAz1JC4yI
Really looking forward to his first album, he's like an electro version of Kyuso Nekokami, similar humor and all. He released like 6 albums when he was indie but they're impossible to get, which is a shame. He also did a pretty sick remix of a Dramatic Alaska song last year which is how I discovered him.

still locked in the USA so here's another link:
http://papercoleena.tumblr.com/post/143133890433/okazaki-taiiku-music-video-staring-straight-into

LayLa

Hug Mii leaving BiSH for unspecified personal reasons, last show on June 2nd :(
Auditions for new members to be held soon.

maybe she locked down a job as a sex advice columnist or is going to write AV reviews.

actually the natalie article says it's family reasons, though that could mean anything.

who's going to molest Momoko in her place?

today in "idols being inappropriate"

That love me tenga t shirt tho

Did a quick search and I didn't see this group mentioned ever before:

Qaijff

It's a nice poppy band.

Wonderful Life <-- Their latest single. So breathy.
&#12463;&#12525;&#12473;&#12495;&#12483;&#12481;&#12531;&#12464;
&#12456;&#12531;&#12487;&#12451;&#12531;&#12464;
organism <-- more on the math pop-rock side of things

I really like the vocals.

They're reminding me a bit of WEAVER

Top Bottom