• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Music (Pop, rock and all 'dat) |OT|

evanmisha

Spotify is coming to Japan so maybe we'll get more japanese music there? Or maybe it's region locked? Please don't let it region lock.

Spotify has weird region locking issues as it is. There was this one Danish track I was really into that flickered on and off for weeks as unavailable in my country before finally settling on available. Just recently an American track I had on a playlist got pulled too. When Japanese labels are region locking their YouTube streams arbitrarily, I don't see why they wouldn't lock their Spotify streams just the same.

Zoe

Spotify is coming to Japan so maybe we'll get more japanese music there? Or maybe it's region locked? Please don't let it region lock.

It's most certainly going to stay region locked. I had to create a second Line account with a VPN in order to sign up for Line Music (of course it has no trouble taking my American credit card).

Jintor

i live here so it's easy right now (...well, easy as in, I take a 2 hour bus ride into Osaka or Kyoto or Nagoya to get new stuff or haunt random Book-offs/Manzais...) but in a few months it's gonna be back to the grind.

Kurita

How do you guys consume Japanese music? There's nothing on any of the streaming services I use, the major acts either have nothing on YouTube, only clips, or full music videos but they're region locked (or they upload the mv majorly late). Meanwhile, all the kpop acts I follow are all over YouTube and Spotify on day 1 as a major pillar of their distribution.

Why the isolation? All it's done is push me to the few acts that aren't as difficult to reach. Sakanaction, Charisma.com, Suiyoubi no Campanella...

I keep up with the charts and anything that really jumps at me is a nightmare to track down. I just wanna listen ;_;
It's just that they don't care about an international audience for the most part, so why bother doing all this. Even if CDs sell less than before it doesn't impact them that much : festivals are constantly sold out, people always go to live shows, buy a shit ton of merch...

But honestly, nowadays it's pretty easy to buy Japanese music digitally. The Japanese AmazonMP3 store isn't region locked so you can buy all the hits over there, there's Ototoy, even on my local iTunes I can find a lot of things. A nice amount of labels are making their stuff available worldwide.
Streaming sites are an other problem though.

Peru

Well it's more baffling to actively block people on youtube accessing their content. Happy with local sales: Sure. Making an effort to stop international fans from enjoying it: Less understandable.

But it is a lot better than it was 5 years ago. And the real global acts like Babymetal and Perfume deliver. Although finding hq Perfume videos was an absolute nightmare before they switched labels.

Still with the government pushing for 'cool japan' to be a thing foreigners care about they should start with making the actual cool japan available.

BPM15Q『はくちゅーむ』

NaWBZzE.gif

--

I guess Lovely Summer-chan is doing the music for a movie that stars Aoi from Maison Book Girl

So good. I am a bad person and cute girls smoking is hot.

agreed. also it still cracks me up that Rinahamu is like 24

some cool people hanging out

^ they appeared on the livestream they just did. Plus Yukichan from NDG talking about her boobs and Ichiko Aoba. Noko verbally abused the Kuroneko no Yuutsu girls for a while for demanding his number and e-mail address.

he must not have been too mad at them :)

Larsa

^ they appeared on the livestream they just did. Plus Yukichan from NDG talking about her boobs and Ichiko Aoba. Noko verbally abused the Kuroneko no Yuutsu girls for a while for demanding his number and e-mail address.

Kurita

It's a rainy spring in France, my finals were meh and I got dumped a month ago, Shinsei Kamattechan is perfect for my mood right now. Then in two months I'll say "why the hell am I listening to them".
It's been that way for 6 years.

Hazaku

Well it's more baffling to actively block people on youtube accessing their content. Happy with local sales: Sure. Making an effort to stop international fans from enjoying it: Less understandable.

But it is a lot better than it was 5 years ago. And the real global acts like Babymetal and Perfume deliver. Although finding hq Perfume videos was an absolute nightmare before they switched labels.

Still with the government pushing for 'cool japan' to be a thing foreigners care about they should start with making the actual cool japan available.

That reminds me. Has anyone noticed content from some of the bigger labels' YouTube channels starting to become region locked for them?

All of a sudden I can't watch anything from Victor or even Shishamo's YouTube channels.

Hell I can't even watch AKB48 videos like I did 6 years ago now ...

vanty

That reminds me. Has anyone noticed content from some of the bigger labels' YouTube channels starting to become region locked for them?

All of a sudden I can't watch anything from Victor or even Shishamo's YouTube channels.

Hell I can't even watch AKB48 videos like I did 6 years ago now ...
"YouTube Red is available in Australia, New Zealand, and the United States."

Was US only but launched in Australia and NZ a few weeks ago and instantly Japanese videos that were all fine before are blocked. I thought it was AKB only but I guess not.

Hazaku

"YouTube Red is available in Australia, New Zealand, and the United States."

Was US only but launched in Australia and NZ a few weeks ago and instantly Japanese videos that were all fine before are blocked. I thought it was AKB only but I guess not.

Oh ... I'm in NZ. Thanks for the info!

evanmisha

Depends on the label/management company. Sony seems to have the most coverage.

Anyone in particular?

Almost every artist I would've asked about is on Line Music and I'm extremely impressed. This is what I was looking for! It's not perfect, but it's a huge step up from the access I had before and I'm more than happy to pay for it.

No fra-foa or Tokyo Jihen stings, though. Not gonna lie.

Don't forget moscow club.

It seems Multiple Tap has started a bilingual webzine and one of the columns features the producer of Shoujo Kakka no International writing about the underground idol scene in very interesting and insightful ways. The first part contains sort of philosophical ramblings about the nature of idols. The second part delves into the economics of running a group in pretty frank detail. Despite some translation hiccups you can tell he's a good writer and this is pretty essential reading.

I heard of a rumor that a thriving underground idol spent ten million yen [roughly US$100,000] to create a fancy CD jacket. They too, once used to wrap their CD-Rs in skimpy paper sleeves.

Bellring you think?

also damn those articles are depressing. poor guy.

Jintor

But most of the idols are short-lived. A girl who’s seen her significance and consequences in her speech and behavior within the world, is no longer residing in the purest ― or the idol qualified ― state of a girl.

Significance, responsibility, and their respectable value, all shackle a girl and levy her to ‘act her age’.

“I’m on my way to getting a decent job. I can’t be doing things like this anymore” ― when a thought like that infiltrates the girl’s mind, even by a hint, the rambunctious freedom withers from her stage.

No one can stay ‘insensible’ forever.

I guess the underground idols die young because the duration from their onset to the realization of their connection to the world is just so momentary.

Yooooooooooooooooooooooo this writing holy shit

Kurita

Came to post it too, fun seeing a band I saw 6 months ago in a small hole in the wall do a video with a budget and seemingly awesome GAP sponsorship lol. Good song too, but that was expected :p

Well, their previous videos had budget, they've been with a major label since April 2015 after all :p It's just a special occasion, GAP are doing this with a couple other bands for the summer.
http://www.gap1969.jp/records/summermusic2016/

Guess the shooting was also a party cause I spotted a few models I see on fashion sites.

----
New Bentham, awesome song as usual.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=treVk-N8A9Q

Czecho No Republic will release their fourth major album, DREAMS, on July 20th. It'll be a full on summer album apparently, nice!

Kurita

androp to release their first best-of on July 27
DISC 1「and」

01. Roots
02. Colorful
03. Glider
04. MirrorDance
05. Puppet
06. Bright Siren
07. Noah
08. World.Words.Lights.
09. Boohoo
10. Voice
11. UtaUtai no Karasu
12. Melody Line
13. Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
14. Astra Nova
15. Hana

DISC 2「drop」

01. Tonbi
02. Image Word
03. Nam(a)e
04. Basho
05. Clover
06. March
07. Bell
08. End roll
09. Rainbows
10. Missing
11. One
12. Shout
13. Run
14. Kokoro
15. Sayonara
I'm ok with this tracklist, though I'm sad they didn't include Sensei, Plug In Head and RDM which are in my top 5 androp songs.

RADWIMPS will release a new "album" on August 24. I'm writing "album" cause it's just the soundtrack of the movie Kimi no Na ha. 26 songs, but only 4 of them will have vocals. I'm still excited, instrumental RADWIMPS can be great, too.

New Yukueshirezutsurezure song available for just two hours on their website. It's fucking rad. This group is so much more exciting than Zenbu Kimi no Sei da. Just waiting for my copy of the mini album to arrive now.

that's awesome, they're basically what I wanted ZenKimi to be. Guess I should go ahead and order that mini now. e: it's gone now. is it on the mini? because if not, I saved it if somebody wants it.

禁断の多数決 - 溶け出す前にアイスクリームが怒った - lol

『スターノイズ』MV - リーガルリリー

Top Bottom