• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Music (Pop, rock and all 'dat) |OT|

Flower 『やさしさで溢れるように』 【映画『植物図鑑 運命の恋、ひろいました』主題歌ver.】

First time I'm let down by a Flower PV tbh. Way too many shots of the movie which is a shame because they were looking gorgeous.

tumblr_o7mgem2bLr1targgco1_500.jpg
CjMg6mbUgAQwAa6.jpg

that's super shitty, would have been nice to see them try to hand over ownership or go private or something; there's a lot of fansubs that would be sad to lose. if I had to guess, shows/subs will just all find their way to nyaa from here out.

bleh, I'm in a bad mood now.

should be funny to see how many ratio bans JPS hands out in the next few weeks though

also no sign of that Parulingual episode yet :\

except this

broz0rs

also no sign of that Parulingual episode yet :\

except this

That show is aired on TOKYO MX, which is almost like a public access channel in the Kanto region I believe. If it aired on any of the big six stations, it would have been uploaded by now. It's looking doubtful that somebody recorded it because not many people knew that the show was even planned.

Kurita

In a slightly random, but totally awesome news, BABYMETAL was chosen as a featured artist of NXT, which is a pro-wrestling promotion.

https://twitter.com/TripleH/status/735561431400251392

The track they chose to be played at their events is Karate. The YouTube video of it is already starting to get filled with comments from NXT fans.
Not a random promotion at that, it's the (great) developmental territory of WWE
Based Triple H

got drunk, watched the You'll Melt More movie. it's pretty bad but not as bad as I expected? there's a legitimately pretty good recurring gag about Ano being unable to die. Mone is awful. Chi-bo's actually not half bad.

probably don't buy this unless you're a weirdo superfan

Aizo

Banned
Pretty intense show so far. Only VMO and メトロノリ have played so far. The latter of which had a 30second final song for her set. Wha.

VMO all wore white and black face paint and sounded like Noise/Black Metal. They told everyone before their set if they don't like that kind of music, to just close their eyes. Haha

Larsa

Finally watched Wonderful World End, the movie based on the music videos for the Oomori Seiko songs Kimi to Eiga and Midnight Seijun Isei Kouyuu, and really enjoyed it. I was expecting something along the lines of the mediocre Shinsei Kamattechan movie. Did not at all expect it to be so fucking weird and creepy.

That cute scene from the Midnight Seijun Isei Kouyuu music video, where Hashimoto Ai is chasing after Aonami Jun in the park was genuinely kinda scary in the context of the movie. Mostly from the terrifying noise music backing it instead of a catchy Seiko song.

This came out of nowhere and made me jump, lmao.

Remember the scene from the Kimi to Eiga mv where they beat the shit out of the boyfriend character. The way they brought him back at the end of the movie was A++.

I liked the way LINE and twitcasting was implemented in the movie, even had weirdos in the chat asking to see Hashimoto Ai's shoulders and collarbone, so that seems spot on.
Hashimoto Ai is the master of playing sulky and slightly unhinged teens, reminded me her characters in Confessions and The World of Kanako.

Some fun cameos in the movie too. Seeing Rachel of Chelmico without blonde hair is weird now. From watching the credits I noticed that Koshoji Megumi was the voice of a bunny mascot character, because of course she would be involved. Oomori Seiko and her music played a smaller role than I expected.

Aizo

Banned
I want to get around to writing all about Virgin Babylon Night 3, but I just wanted to say that world's end girlfriend's first song was the collab with Have a Nice Day, so they were singing and dancing on stage. They're silly. The live version of that song is so superior, because it has WEG's cello and violin players and live drums. On those big Marshall amps and the venue's big monitors, too... Sounded fucking nice.

evanmisha

How do you guys consume Japanese music? There's nothing on any of the streaming services I use, the major acts either have nothing on YouTube, only clips, or full music videos but they're region locked (or they upload the mv majorly late). Meanwhile, all the kpop acts I follow are all over YouTube and Spotify on day 1 as a major pillar of their distribution.

Why the isolation? All it's done is push me to the few acts that aren't as difficult to reach. Sakanaction, Charisma.com, Suiyoubi no Campanella...

I keep up with the charts and anything that really jumps at me is a nightmare to track down. I just wanna listen ;_;

broz0rs

How do you guys consume Japanese music? There's nothing on any of the streaming services I use, the major acts either have nothing on YouTube, only clips, or full music videos but they're region locked (or they upload the mv majorly late). Meanwhile, all the kpop acts I follow are all over YouTube and Spotify on day 1 as a major pillar of their distribution.

Why the isolation? All it's done is push me to the few acts that aren't as difficult to reach. Sakanaction, Charisma.com, Suiyoubi no Campanella...

I keep up with the charts and anything that really jumps at me is a nightmare to track down. I just wanna listen ;_;

My $0.02 on this is that I get the impression that most of the Japanese music industry just believes in domestically monetizing most of their content. They're comfortable in selling music related content just in their country and not rely on foreign sales. The fact that CD is still the dominant format says a lot about music consumerism in Japan.

This is why I think BABYMETAL is changing the game with their hugely successful world tour. They've allowed their music to be played on Spotify and YouTube, and their view/listen counts are huge. I think much of their international fanbase is a result from being able to freely consume their music anywhere in the world.

As for Korea, literally every act has their music on listening streams and YouTube. I feel the companies there view it as an investment because global outreach for Korean music is far greater than any in Asia. Just like BABYMETAL, Korean acts intend to tour globally to make up for the lack of sales domestically (as a result of streaming and YouTube).

disclaimer: I don't mind the intrusiveness of the Japanese music industry because it's the second largest in the world and its artists get paid. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Japan has no reason to cater to the worldwide audience, their music industry makes them money. It sucks when you want to share music with others and can't, but it is what it is.

However, if you're pushing for international sales and ask people to sign up to your fanclub, the least you could do is translate posts/DVDs etc officially into English
(PTA IM LOOKING AT YOU)

T4NpMa3.gif

evanmisha

My $0.02 on this is that I get the impression that most of the Japanese music industry just believes in domestically monetizing most of their content. They're comfortable in selling music related content just in their country and not rely on foreign sales. The fact that CD is still the dominant format says a lot about music consumerism in Japan.

This is why I think BABYMETAL is changing the game with their hugely successful world tour. They've allowed their music to be played on Spotify and YouTube, and their view/listen counts are huge. I think much of their international fanbase is a result from being able to freely consume their music anywhere in the world.

As for Korea, literally every act has their music on listening streams and YouTube. I feel the companies there view it as an investment because global outreach for Korean music is far greater than any in Asia. Just like BABYMETAL, Korean acts intend to tour globally to make up for the lack of sales domestically (as a result of streaming and YouTube).

disclaimer: I don't mind the intrusiveness of the Japanese music industry because it's the second largest in the world and its artists get paid. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

It's just sad to me. If I hear about a big new track in Denmark, I can listen to it! Hot new single in Turkey? No problem.

Oh, Namie Amuro has a new single? Enjoy your 60 second YouTube clip.

Top Bottom