• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Joe Staten is now “Head of Creative” at 343i for Halo Infinite

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
And now, a few parting words from Halo Infinite's Head of Creative Joseph Staten...

Ah, yes. The combat dance. The beating heart of every Halo game.

For grizzled Spartan veterans this should be a familiar scene: imagine a Forerunner interior; a timeless metallic vault with soaring ceilings. It’s quiet, empty… except for a pair of Hunters, shields up, shoulder-spikes twitching, blocking your path forward.

What to do? That’s easy! I said to myself, the first time I fought Hunters in Halo Infinite. Bait them, get them to charge, then step aside, pivot, and direct as much firepower into their exposed, wormy backsides as you can before they turn-and-turtle.

But when I tried these classic dance steps, the Hunters had something else in mind.

As expected, one of the Hunters charged, exposing its weak spot. By the time I’d pivoted to face it, however, it had already pivoted to face me. That’s odd, I thought. Must be a bug. I tried the dance steps again. Same result. Except this time, the second Hunter filled my face with fuel rod projectiles, sending me scrambling for cover.

Crouched behind a Forerunner pillar, shields fried and health deep in the red, I had a quick think: What’s different? Hunters turn faster. OK, assume this isn’t a bug. What’s the game trying to tell me? And what new dance moves have I got?

As another volley of enemy fire rattled my virtual head inside my virtual helmet, I remembered: I have equipment. Specifically, in the case of more reactive Hunters: I have a Grappleshot. Which means I’m faster and more mobile too!

I don’t want to spoil your own fun of experimentation with a detailed description of what happened next. But suffice it to say: the Grappleshot didn’t “cheese” my encounter with the Hunters, it deepened it—simultaneously made me feel more powerful and the Hunters more intelligent. We all knew the rules had changed. But the Hunters weren’t going to let me dance on their graves without a fight.

This is just one example from a single encounter, but for me it encapsulates what’s so exciting about the totality of the work that Quinn, Tim, David, Brian, Elan, Kevin, and the entire Sandbox Team have done to deepen and expand the Halo combat toolkit. It’s great to feel their respect for the legacy. It’s even better to experience how they’ve improved upon it.

Last edited:

magaman

Banned
Can you imagine - seriously - how bad of a state this game had to have been in for them to do this?
  • They delayed the game which spearheaded their entire console launch strategy
  • They brought in at least two LARGE partner companies to work on it
  • The game still has no launch window
This has "all-time greatest flop" written all over it.

Last edited:

Bergoglio

In the end, all the incompetent devs are going to be slowly replaced by Bungie devs.
giyAi4e.gif

Bonnie Ross.

Lone Wolf

Can you imagine - seriously - how bad of a state this game had to have been in for them to do this?
Launch window is fall 2021. They announced this.

Batiman

Banned
It’s gonna be amazing. Bet

It's confirmed holiday 2021! What you on about? You really think this will flop? Even if what we saw was how it looked and played it still played better than 90 percent of FPS's and looked IMO good. The game needed an extra year of development time, its (going from the rumours) a huge game and very ambitious, let's see how it looks and plays later this year. If it disappoints then by all means complain, I will too.

AJUMP23

your analysis is bad and you should feel bad.

Adam_802

Trying to convince yourself, huh? :messenger_winking:

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
  • Halo Infinite is not the only big AAA title that got delayed.
  • So a contract worker for Coalition helping with Halo Infinite means the entire Coalition studio is working on it? What is the other big company that was "bought in"? Halo always had supported studios like Certain Affinity and Skybox Labs.
  • It has a launch window of Fall 2021.
You really didnt think this through before posting this bait to get some positive validation from your circlejerk.

Last edited:

Andodalf

Banned
  • So a contract worker for Coalition helping with Halo Infinite means the entire Coalition studio is working on it? What is the other big company that was "bought in"? Halo always had supported studios like Certain Affinity and Skybox Labs.
We really didnt think this through before posting this bait to get some positive validation from your circlejerk.

I mean heck, Bungie had side studios as well, one of them being.... 343i

I still have my fingers crossed it will be good, but as long as Bonnie Ross is at the helm championing her personal quest through her job I'll remain skeptical.

Whatever direction this game takes, I look forward to it.

If it's an abysmal pile of shit I won't enjoy playing it (assuming I even finish) but I can enjoy the aftermath.

If it's somehow GOTY, I'll enjoy playing it and also enjoy the aftermath here.

magaman

Banned
You really didnt think this through before posting this bait to get some positive validation from your circlejerk.
Don't have to validate anything. The reveal was garbage, and it ruined the XSX launch. Trying to convince yourself otherwise is stupid.

As for contract companies, I'll go ahead and refute your argument quickly and easily:

The launch window will not be met. I'll bet my account on it. Care to make the wager, or are you just big-balling it to show off in front of your fellow fanboys?

Krisprolls

Banned
Are you even gonna play Halo?

Why not ? If it's a good game. I'm not that much into FPS, but I was a PC gamepass subscriber until recently.

What I say is sometimes it's better restarting fresh from scratch to achieve greatness. It's often harder to take back pieces from other people when creative minds change multiple times...

Last edited:

driqe

Don't have to validate anything. The reveal was garbage, and it ruined the XSX launch. Trying to convince yourself otherwise is stupid.

As for contract companies, I'll go ahead and refute your argument quickly and easily:

The launch window will not be met. I'll bet my account on it. Care to make the wager, or are you just big-balling it to show off in front of your fellow fanboys?
I would also like to bet my account on it.

If Halo Infinite does not launch this year ban me from this site. Mod of War Mod of War 👀

However, when it does launch I want to see M magaman banned :messenger_beaming:

Razvedka

Banned
Halo infinite was already talked when they announced it to not have another halo. It's going to go the destiny route, expect expansions that each one is it's own story with it's own locations, villains. So I would assume the future content is what Staten is being made main creative. He's helping them write the lore, and probably get story locked for each expansion/content drop that they will make for the future. They said they want to do like expansions that focus on their own individual stories that will interconnect. So imagine one expansions is on Brutes, another is on prometheon, others covenant, flood, cortana ect.

There is no halo after infinite, infinite is a platform now with each big expansions being treated like it's possibly a stand alone that all is built within infinite.
How does this vision work from a tech perspective? This is meant to be a cross platform game, so the engine and 'focus' must already consider the XBO (which was anemic years ago, let alone 2021). As the years wear on, engines are improved, overhauled, or scrapped in favor of something else. Microsoft and 343i need to have total and complete confidence in Slipspace to actually be competitive with other offerings both present (Decima) and future (UE5) in the looks/features department.

All this to say, I think that their grasp exceeds their reach.

Last edited:
Top Bottom