• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June 2008 NPD Sales Data

schuelma said:
So how many more similiar top 20's before we can stop with the "What are Wii owners buying" and "3rd party software doesn't sell on Wii" memes?
Only when No More Heroes sells three million copies.

In Mexico.

That said I expect, when it's released, that The Conduit will be a reality check.

jibblypop

Banned
schuelma said:
So how many more similiar top 20's before we can stop with the "What are Wii owners buying" and "3rd party software doesn't sell on Wii" memes?

Yeah the top 20 really tells a different story to what people have been trying to say about wii software sales. Not that anyone with a brain ever believed that the wii software wasn't selling.

yoopoo

Banned
Are there any multi platform non aaa PS3 games that haven't bombed? Cause it seems if the game isn't COD, GTA, Madden, DMC or AC...its a guaranteed bomb on PS3.

jibblypop

Banned
yoopoo said:
Are there any multi platform non aaa PS3 games that haven't bombed? Cause it seems if the game isn't COD, GTA, Madden, DMC or AC...its a guaranteed bomb on PS3.

Just because something doesn't make the top 10 doesn't mean it's a bomb. These games can still be profitable. I'm not saying they definitely are.. I'm just saying that you never know.

Jammy

Banned
yoopoo said:
npd_chart_june2008.jpg

7 Wii games and 4 DS games. The only PS3 titles are MGS and GTA. No PSP games.

How things change in such short notice...

Zihark

Hmmm seeing that top 20 looks like brawl, rock band, and aerosmith sold over 100k. looks like gh sells the most on wii now-wt should be huge:) nsmb just wow still in the top 20-anyone know when it release? top 20 reminds me of media create-nintendo domination.

Jammy

Banned
:lol :lol :lol

I just realized that the only commercials I saw for Battlefield: Bad Company were advertised for the PS3 and that it didn't even make the top 20.

Neomoto

It's already proven back and forth that 3rd parties sell very well on the Wii and DS.

Just look at this months top 10 for example. I see a whopping million copies sold for 3rd parties and that's just the 3 titles in the top 10 (and 2 of them multiplatform and both on top of the others). And I'm sure the 3 remaining 3rd party titles in the 11-20 positions have sold a lot too considering #10 is at 260k.

It's just because the Wii isn't getting the high profile games that the Xbox360 and PS3 are "often" getting. A CoD4 and GTA IV can skew perception a great deal but the Wii doesn't have those games and what you don't have, you can't sell. And the games that CAN compete come from Nintendo (well, except for Guitar Hero III and games like Lego Indiana Jones and such)

It'll be interesting to see Call of Duty: World at War and Guitar Hero World Tour considering they are getting simultanious releases and such.

yoopoo said:
Rock Band is selling well.. Too well considering the effort that went into it.

Oh well, Wii is quickly becoming the music console of choise, just look what is releasing this year for Wii:

Samba de Amigo,
Guitar Hero World Tour,
Wii Music,
Disney's Ultimate Band,
EA's Boogie SuperStar,
Konami's DanceDanceRevolution Hottest Party 2,
Rock Revolution

And I'm sure Rock Band and GH: A won't drop off very quickly in the july npd.

Grecco

Really suprised at GH Aersomith selling best on Wii

and suprised at how Batlefield Bad company PS3 seemed to really bomb. Not even top 20 ouch.

milanbaros

Member?
schuelma said:

If we got monthly top 50s I think it would take only a couple of months. I remember the glory days of getting every single title :lol

To be fair I believe its only recent months that the top of the chart has begun to show strong 3rd party software sales.

Luckyman said:
For Nintendofans maybe. Just look at those Wii games in the top 20..
You can't gauge The Conduit's sales based on the sales of games that are in different genres. The two big FPS games on Wii have been Red Steel and Metroid Prime 3, both of which sold over a million copies. The success of Conduit relies mainly on which publisher picks it up - I could see Sega or Nintendo doing so.

sakuragi

Banned
Jammy said:
:lol :lol :lol

I just realized that the only commercials I saw for Battlefield: Bad Company were advertised for the PS3 and that it didn't even make the top 20.

They (PS3 owners) were too busy playing MGS4 to care. :lol

kottila

Neomoto said:
It'll be interesting to see Call of Duty: World at War and Guitar Hero World Tour considering they are getting simultanious releases and such.

I can't imagine COD sales being anywhere close on Wii compared to 360 and PS3, it's going to be like Madden last year, with a little better outcome for the Wii due to install bases.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
kottila said:
I can't imagine COD sales being anywhere close on Wii compared to 360 and PS3, it's going to be like Madden last year, with a little better outcome for the Wii due to install bases.

I agree it probably won't be that close, but I think CoD Wii sales will at least be respectable.

Struct09

Neomoto said:
Rock Band is selling well.. Too well considering the effort that went into it.

Oh well, Wii is quickly becoming the music console of choise, just look what is releasing this year for Wii:

Samba de Amigo,
Guitar Hero World Tour,
Wii Music,
Disney's Ultimate Band,
EA's Boogie SuperStar,
Konami's DanceDanceRevolution Hottest Party 2,
Rock Revolution

And I'm sure Rock Band and GH: A won't drop off very quickly in the july npd.

Rock Band 2 is coming to Wii this year too. Hopefully MTV/Harmonix/(Pi?) put more effort into it, otherwise Activision deserves to dominate the console with GHWT.

Neomoto

Seriously? I heard something about the Wii version coming later again? Would make sense too considering RB 1 just came out. For what it's worth, it isn't on the second half of 2008 Wii line-up that was released yesterday. And all the other EA Wii titles are on it.

Zihark said:
neomoto-there's also MMMM and battle of the bands released earlier in the year.
MMMM ? I indeed forgot Battle of the Bands. It's getting a bit ridiculous at this rate :) I think Hudson will also release their WiiWare game that is a karaoke game with a enormous library of games which you can download from, but don't know if that's only in Japan for this year.

kottila said:
I guess you're right, but the game looks very good on Wii both with graphics and features compared to the other versions. We'll see how it goes, CoD 3 Wii outsold the PS3 version and the Wii version was crap. I think there is a audience for FPS games on Wii. Link's Crossbow Training was a easy million seller in the USA alone (Wii Zapper), and games like MP 3 and Red Steel have sold well despite a vast lower userbase at the time (especially with RS being a launch game). Of course I still think the Xbox360 will sell a lot more, but I'm sure Activision wouldn't be upset if the Wii version still brings in respectable sales. I'm sure they would have loved to have a CoD4 Wii version when they saw the sales and such

Jammy

Banned
kottila said:

Well, Call of Duty 3 on Wii sold way more than Call of Duty 3 PS3.

boiled goose

good with gravy
milanbaros said:
If we got monthly top 50s I think it would take only a couple of months. I remember the glory days of getting every single title :lol

To be fair I believe its only recent months that the top of the chart has begun to show strong 3rd party software sales.

This is the issue with the bolded part.

The only non launch 3rd party game that deserved to be at the top of the charts was GH3. It was a version with effort (online, etc) only limited by the hardware (graphics, DLC). Guess what? it was at the top.... for several months.

Most other games released for the console where slow burners (mainstream appeal), not well advertised, or complete crap.

And it is just now that the wii userbase has caught up with the 360 userbase. What happens? Decent Wii versions outsell 360 counterparts.

titiklabingapat said:
Damn, Aerosmith Wii outsold the 360 version.
Grecco said:
Guitar Hero was already strong on Wii. Now Wii is the current-gen system with the largest userbase. Put together, it doesn't seem that surprising to me.
explodet said:
Mario and Sonic DS & New Super Mario Bros. are in the top 20 still?

Damn.
Now that one half surprises me. I remember Mario & Sonic DS didn't have a very big start, but considering the news that the combined Mario & Sonic games had passed 10 million I guess they must have just kept chugging along below where we normally see.
Neomoto said:
Seriously? I heard something about the Wii version coming later again? Would make sense too considering RB 1 just came out.
I haven't followed Rock Band news, but RB2 hitting Wii this year wouldn't be too unlike Guitar Hero 2 and 3 hitting X360 in the same year.

NimbusD

Aaron Strife said:
Only when No More Heroes sells three million copies.

In Mexico.

That said I expect, when it's released, that The Conduit will be a reality check.

Hey I just bought NMH the other day! but Im in the USA... but I'm puerto rican which is practically mexican right? So we're almost there.:D

Jammy

Banned
amtentori said:
This is the issue with the bolded part.

The only non launch 3rd party game that deserved to be at the top of the charts was GH3. It was a version with effort (online, etc) only limited by the hardware (graphics, DLC). Guess what? it was at the top.... for several months.

Most other games released for the console where slow burners (mainstream appeal), not well advertised, or complete crap.

And it is just now that the wii userbase has caught up with the 360 userbase. What happens? Decent Wii versions outsell 360 counterparts.

Very true. I'm assuming thats how DDR: Hottest Party, Carnival Games, and Game Party sold what they sold. Same goes with Lego Star Wars, Harry Potter, etc. Hell, I think looking at the Amazon charts :lol could have told us that.

These games don't chart, but they're slow burners and we're almost always surprised when we find out their LTDs at the end of the year.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
JoshuaJSlone said:
Guitar Hero was already strong on Wii. Now Wii is the current-gen system with the largest userbase. Put together, it doesn't seem that surprising to me.

I'm a bit surprised it outsold the PS2 version.

NimbusD

Grecco said:

and suprised at how Batlefield Bad company PS3 seemed to really bomb. Not even top 20 ouch.

GH Aero Wii is my first Guitar hero, My sister picked me up the wrong one though :(

Neomoto

amtentori said:
[...About Guitar Hero III...] Guess what? it was at the top.... for several months.
For more than half a year constantly in the top 10 actually, untill this month that is when another Guitar Hero Wii version took it's place it seems like.

JoshuaJSlone said:
I haven't followed Rock Band news, but RB2 hitting Wii this year wouldn't be too unlike Guitar Hero 2 and 3 hitting X360 in the same year.
Of course, but I referenced the Wii version, which literally just came out in June. Would they really release a (Wii) sequal 4-5 months later? But then again, if they don't and the other version are ready, they'll miss out on the holiday season. And it's EA were talking about.. I wouldn't put it past them. We'll see though, hopefully it at least won't be a poor PS2 port (again).

shidoshi said:
Oh joy, this again. People were saying the same thing years ago, except replace Blu-ray with "DVD" and DVD with "VHS."

No one with even the tiniest bit of sense ever believed that for a second.

SSM25 said:
Even so, do you think everybody will embrace DD so that there will not be a market for Disc Media?

It's not a question of "no market," it's a question of the size of that market. DVD was the way to watch video; it killed all currently prevalent media and had no meaningful competitors at its height. BluRay won't die or even be a Laserdisc-size niche-within-a-niche because there are people who want to watch movies in HD and movies that look good in HD, but it's not going to take over as the video medium the way DVD did -- it's likely that DVD and DD will each have a huge piece of the video pie going forward from today for years to come.

Azelover said:
You can't apply that reasoning here, we all know why that happened, DS reached a saturation peak of game systems within that population, which is around 20 million.

Er.... The DS is still selling as well in Japan as PS2 in its prime -- it hasn't reached any sort of "saturation peak," since "saturation" would be the point at which it stopped selling. What happened is just that the spike of demand created by Nintendogs/Brain Training/DS Lite/NSMB was so large that it took years to satsify.

deepbrown said:
Looks like VGCraps chart...we sure this estimates aren't just from that lame website?

Those are donny's estimates, which he'll happily tell people about the methodology for and are clearly marked as estimates based on shipped data.

Opiate

sakuragi said:
They (PS3 owners) were too busy playing MGS4 to care. :lol

This is a joke, of course, but I am noticing that the blockbuster AAA PS3 titles are doing much much better than anything else on the system. AAA Blockbusters usually do better, but not this much better: it seems like you're either MGS4/Resistance/GTA4, or you're nothing.

RBH

Opiate said:
This is a joke, of course, but I am noticing that the blockbuster AAA PS3 titles are doing much much better than anything else on the system. AAA Blockbusters usually do better, but not this much better: it seems like you're either MGS4/Resistance/GTA4, or you're nothing.
Third-party sales in general on the PS3 are pretty anemic in the U.S. There are certain high-profile exceptions (COD4, AC), but those are few and far between.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
RBH said:
Third-party sales in general on the PS3 are pretty anemic in the U.S. There are certain high-profile exceptions (COD4, AC), but those are few and far between.

They brought that on themselves.

I (and everyone else i know) dare not get a port on the PS3. Just don't want to risk it. Even if we are told it's ok. Get burned once (college hoops for me) and the fear lasts forever.

Opiate

RBH said:

I don't see a big third party / first party disparity; the two PS3 games in the top 20 this month are both 3rd party games.

I think the dichotomy is more blockbuster AAA / not blockbuster AAA, not 1st party / 3rd party.

donny2112

gofreak said:
PS3 must be selling very well in Europe (and 360 not selling so well at all) if donny's YTD estimates are accurate. i.e. selling as much as NA+JPN combined. I make it that about 2.1-2.2m PS3s have been sold in the US+JPN sofar this year (~750k more than 360). So it would need to have sold..850k more than 360 in Europe alone.

I suppose it is possible, but it just initially struck me as a much larger gap than I'd expect.

I separate into Canada, U.S., Japan, and everything else. Europe is obviously a big part of "everything else", but I just wanted to clarify. As far as the total accuracy of the PAL/Other sales, it's hard to say. Nintendo is the only ones who have broken out sales by region lately, so that doesn't help. Nintendo did have a chart with the first 16 months of sales for the Wii, PS3, and 360 as well as weekly sales in U.K., Spain, France, and (I think) Germany through Week 15 of this year, so that was a big help. For the last couple of months, we've gotten updated France and Italy numbers that show a big Wii increase (corresponding nicely with the April/May U.S. increase), and a general PS3 trending upwards since around GT5:prologue. There were also reports of an increase for the 360 with the price drop that have since faded some.

i.e. It requires a fair bit of guessing based on the little available data.

That said, I do keep the numbers separate, so if more data comes out for those PAL/Other territories, I can go back and change it. I try to be very clear that the worldwide totals are just an "estimate," though. :)

As far as the specific YTD numbers in PAL/Other, I have the PS3 ~800K higher. A good deal of that is carryover from the 40GB increase early in the year, and then the substantial increase with GT5:prologue's release.

First 15 weeks of 2008 in Europe.*

* - I believe they are actually referring to Spain, Germany, U.K., and France combined. They've called that combination "Europe" before, too.

Stumpokapow said:
(not sure if donny's using MC or Enterbrain, but I'd guess Enterbrain)

Media-Create, just because that's what I have readily available.

sionyboy said:
Hey Donny, where will we be able to find the prediction results?

When the prediction thread has been locked before, a new thread has been started for the results. It'll probably be the same this time around once Cheesemeister has the time to compile the predictions.

indie85 said:
Still want to hold such an absurd stance on the future of blu-ray?

What I find disingenuous about every comparison of Blu-Ray to DVD adoption rates is the fact that Blu-Ray already has its trojan horse released (PS3), while at the same point in DVD's lifespan, its large spur (PS2) wasn't out, yet. Once we get past the point of the PS2 release in DVD's lifespan, we'll be in a much better position to compare the Blu-Ray vs. DVD adoption rate lifecycles.

matmanx1 said:
Ugh, Nintendo already owns half the monthly NPD software sales charts. Just imagine what is going to happen when Animal Crossing Wii, Wii Sports Resort and Wii Music hits. We are looking at the very real possibility of an ALL NINTENDO dominated NPD chart in the not too distant future. Oh my...

Historically, what's happened in Japan has been a precursor for how the rest of the world typically plays out. Companies rise and fall much quicker there, and that rise/fall usually makes it out to the rest of the world later. A lot of people have written off Japan's influence this generation, but, at least, the Top 10 seems to be following Japan's level of Nintendo presence.

Jammy said:
Well, Call of Duty 3 on Wii sold way more than Call of Duty 3 PS3.

Like what happened with Battlefield this month when it went H2H with MGS4, COD3 went H2H with Resistance and got its ass whooped. With COD going back to WW2 with Treyarch running the show and a Resistance sequel to compete with, I expect the same result. Although not quite as lopsided if the numbers I remember are correct.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Opiate said:

So true,

Valkyria Chronicles is a high budget game (that will likely receive some critical acclaim), and you know it will sell like SHIT.

As much as I want the game to succeed and sell 300,000+ copies, there is no chance in hell. The game will likely not even get past 150k, especially since Sega is stupid enough to publish it in November, instead of September like originally planned. Good job guys, put a big budget strategy RPG right between big Sony games like Resistance 2.

Opiate

Hcoregamer00 said:
So true,

Valkyria Chronicles is a high budget game (that will likely receive some critical acclaim), and you know it will sell like SHIT.

As much as I want the game to succeed and sell 300,000+ copies, there is no chance in hell. The game will likely not even get past 150k, especially since Sega is stupid enough to publish it in November, instead of September like originally planned. Good job guys, put a big budget strategy RPG right between big Sony games like Resistance 2.

It's possible that this is just the sign of a still maturing system; I don't honestly know.

That is, it's possible when install base is still low-but-growing, the AAA titles are the only ones doing well; then, as the system grows, the smaller titles can flesh out.

That seems possible. Does anyone remember if the 360/Wii sold much 2nd/3rd tier software in their first months? Or was it heavily lopsided towards a few major titles like Gears of War, Wii Play and Zelda?

DrGAKMAN

Banned
Some observations:
-peripheral based games (GH, Rock Band) seem to get a boost on Wii...should be no surprize
-music games do well on Nintendo systems despite sometimes being flooded with them or gimped...big market for Wii Music?
-exclussives (NG2 & MGS4) do more to sell higher and help sell systems
-big games that come out on both PS3 & X360 (GTA4 & Bad Company) sell much higher on X360, higher userbase of course but I think it may also be that PS3 owners, in general, are too good for multiplatform games?
-more Western 3RD party sellers for NDS (who's big games used to only come from Nintendo & other Japanese developers)
-big games on HD systems can get big sales the first month or so, but are usually replaced by the next big game or lose longevity other ways
-big games on Nintendo seem to stay up in the charts higher & longer than HD competitors

The excuses used against Wii were *exactly* the same against NDS, yet NDS still has not peaked, is getting great support/sales from the East & West game makers and is finally considered a true "gamers" platform. Excuses include:
-not powerful enough
-non-games don't count
-it's a fad
-it's selling only 'cos it's cheaper
-only Nintendo games sell on it
-casuals don't buy games
-attach rates aren't as high as competing systems
-profit isn't as high for publishers on other systems
-no/bad Western games on it
-only shovelware comes out on it

Over and over again those points were stated against NDS (and now Wii) and while some were partially true/warrented, the overall system sales have made the userbase so big that it eventually negates or turns those criticisms around to the point that they don't matter...NDS is getting GTA, Spore & GH, still hasn't peaked yet and is finally considered a good system by even early naysayers. The same will happen for Wii in the end. As it stands now, 3RD party support/sales are getting better & better on Wii and it's library (though largely casual crap) is still much bigger than the competitor's...just like the PS2, PSX, SNES & NES before it...there will be gems!

Nintendo-haters can say what they will, but I imagine *because* of what Nintendo is doing (and will continue to do) their competitor's will do their part compete hopefully for the benifit's of you, the Nintendo-hater. I don't believe it's about "winning" anymore 9they seemingly are two distinctly different markets)...this is about having good games, good competition and long lasting platforms. Sony has committed (and sorta has to commit) itself to a 10yr plan for PS3, MS (despite rumors and past buckling history) has remained comitted to X360 and NOT talked about their next box and Nintendo can & will milk their platforms for as long as possible not only for profits and to stay ahead, but also to keep expanding the industry ultimatly giving us a long-lasting healthy generation. That's something we SHOULD be happy with these NPD's & this years E3...that there's no talk of a next-next-gen...this very well could be another (Genisis vs SNES) golden age in gaming!

Jammy

Banned
Rice-Eater said:
Like what happened with Battlefield this month when it went H2H with MGS4, COD3 went H2H with Resistance and got its ass whooped. With COD going back to WW2 with Treyarch running the show and a Resistance sequel to compete with, I expect the same result. Although not quite as lopsided if the numbers I remember are correct.

:lol

Call of Duty 3 Wii went "H2H" with Red Steel at Wii's launch, too.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Damn, this is the first NPD thread that I haven't gotten a chance to really follow since....well ever!

So forgive me if it's already been asked or posted, but do we have ltds for Smash Bros. Brawl? And possible Super Mario Galaxy in this thread?

Struct09

Neomoto said:
Seriously? I heard something about the Wii version coming later again? Would make sense too considering RB 1 just came out. For what it's worth, it isn't on the second half of 2008 Wii line-up that was released yesterday. And all the other EA Wii titles are on it.

EA doesn't publish Rock Band, MTV Games does. You can read the PR here: http://kotaku.com/5022939/rock-band...truments-full-backwards-compatibility?cpage=2

Rock Band 2 will be released on Xbox 360™ videogame and entertainment system from Microsoft this September and will have an exclusive launch window in North America. Rock Band 2 will be available for the PLAYSTATION® 3 and PlayStation® 2 computer entertainment systems and Nintendo Wii™ system later this year.

Oblivion said:
Damn, this is the first NPD thread that I haven't gotten a chance to really follow since....well ever!

So forgive me if it's already been asked or posted, but do we have ltds for Smash Bros. Brawl? And possible Super Mario Galaxy in this thread?
Brawl: 3.297.100 - 3.457.400
Galaxy: 3.016.370 - 3.303.370

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
DrGAKMAN said:
Over and over again those points were stated against NDS (and now Wii) and while some were partially true/warrented, the overall system sales have made the userbase so big that it eventually negates or turns those criticisms around to the point that they don't matter...NDS is getting GTA, Spore & GH, still hasn't peaked yet and is finally considered a good system by even early naysayers. The same will happen for Wii in the end. As it stands now, 3RD party support/sales are getting better & better on Wii and it's library (though largely casual crap) is still much bigger than the competitor's...just like the PS2, PSX, SNES & NES before it...there will be gems!

I agree with your largely quite salient points. In fact, I was reading the New York Times the other day and saw this graph which really made me smh (shake my head) that I thought might be interesting to share:

5cQldUc.jpg

I just couldn't believe how dogmatic some people are. Religious, even!

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Captain Smoker said:
Brawl: 3.297.100 - 3.457.400
Galaxy: 3.016.370 - 3.303.370

Hmm, not bad at all. I think this would make these two the first Nintendo console games to break 3 million in the U.S. since Ocarina of Time!

Thank you very much, btw. :)

Top Bottom