• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June 2008 NPD Sales Data

Narcosis

DrGAKMAN said:
-exclussives (NG2 & MGS4) do more to sell higher and help sell systems
-big games that come out on both PS3 & X360 (GTA4 & Bad Company) sell much higher on X360, higher userbase of course but I think it may also be that PS3 owners, in general, are too good for multiplatform games?

As someone who's owned both consoles for over a year, it's only been in this year that I would even consider buying the PS3 version of any mutliplatform game (DMC4 was probably the first multiplatform game I bought for PS3). Throughout the PS3 launch and all of 2007 PS3 ports of of 360/PC games were dogshit.

As for the specific games mentioned in the quoted post, install base on GTA IV is the deciding factor and I really think for most PS3 owners buying a game in June, MGS4 really eclipsed anything else, killing Bad Company's chances on the platform.
I predict the same thing this fall when Left 4 Dead comes out within an arm's reach of Gears of War 2 on 360.

Narcosis said:
As someone who's owned both consoles for over a year, it's only been in this year that I would even consider buying the PS3 version of any mutliplatform game (DMC4 was probably the first multiplatform game I bought for PS3). Throughout the PS3 launch and all of 2007 PS3 ports of of 360/PC games were dogshit.

As for the specific games mentioned in the quoted post, install base on GTA IV is the deciding factor and I really think for most PS3 owners buying a game in June, MGS4 really eclipsed anything else, killing Bad Company's chances on the platform.
I predict the same thing this fall when Left 4 Dead comes out within an arm's reach of Gears of War 2 on 360.

Left 4 Dead is this year's Orange Box (which opened pretty close to Halo 3, IIRC). It'll still do well, and realistically it never would have done Gears level numbers to begin with.

Oblivion said:
Hmm, not bad at all. I think this would make these two the first Nintendo console games to break 3 million in the U.S. since Ocarina of Time!

Thank you very much, btw. :)
Smash Bros. Melee managed 3.875.000 units [source is a next-gen.biz article]. ^^

ivysaur12

Banned
Those Galaxy and Brawl numbers make me a happy camper.

How much did Sunshine and Melee do in America?

EDIT: Also, I know it was released last month, but did we/have we gotten any numbers for The World Ends With You?

Jokeropia

Kapsama said:
You mean the same Time-Warner, Comcast and AT&T who are trying to introduce monthly download caps? DD will die real soon once that $14.99 movie comes with a $4.99 download surcharge from Comcast when you can just get the DVD for $16.99.
Right, because bandwidth will suddenly stop improving and instead start becoming slower and more expensive again. These objections sound extra silly to me as I'm sitting on a quite inexpensive 100 Mbps fiber line.
Kapsama said:
Yes and all Nintendo franchises would have sold better on the PS2 or Xbox. What's your point again?
Are you high? PS2 over Gamecube is debatable, but Xbox? Heck no.

DrGAKMAN

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
I agree with your largely quite salient points. In fact, I was reading the New York Times the other day and saw this graph which really made me smh (shake my head) that I thought might be interesting to share:

5cQldUc.jpg

I just couldn't believe how dogmatic some people are. Religious, even!

As silly as it seems, it's a perception thing still with American audiences (that's why our unassuredness is more towards the bottom of the list while Japan is near the top) and Nintendo has largely fixed their perception from 4/5 years ago. But I think that while it's "fixed" (better) it's seen in a different light (as in, not a serious platform, just a fun one). So while Nintendo has improved their overall image there's still some uncertainty.

This is uncertainty about it being a serious platform and it's longevity against the "big boys" that could *easily* be swayed if say once thought HD-only titles start coming to Wii as well. Multiplatform HD-only games like SF4, RE5, SC4, COD4, GTA4 and now FF13...they are like games that are coming to everything BUT Nintendo...and that does still have a negative stigma. But, look at GH's success with Nintendo, it caused MTV to bring over RB and convinced Activision to bring over COD. Look at RE sales on Wii, it helped in the decision to bring DR (once thought totally undoable on Wii) to Wii and hopefull SF4 & RE5 as well (they *should* in some form considering, as we get closer to their console releases, HD consoles still won't have the needed sales in Japan). This is going to be a slow and gradual thing, but it's happening. I *know* Reggie has been knocking on RockStar's door to bring over GTA, but they didn't seem convinced after Bully & ManHunt...but...GTA coming to NDS could have some sway in their decision. GTA (in some form or another) on Wii would be a bigger announcement than FF13 on X360 for mindshare.

Notice there's a lot of white area there between the perception that 3RD parties either will or won't come to Wii...a white area that can easily be shifted to the possitive scales if say SF4 or RE5 were announced for Wii too *let alone* some type of GTA! Sales and marketshare are one thing, but mindshare is just as important to some buyers.

Busaiku

What were Rock Band 360/PS3 and PS2 numbers during their debuts?
The Wii release doesn't seem too bad, around 200k 6/7 months after those releases.

Gaborn

DrGAKMAN said:
As silly as it seems, it's a perception thing still with American audiences (that's why our unassuredness is more towards the bottom of the list while Japan is near the top) and Nintendo has largely fixed their perception from 4/5 years ago. But I think that while it's "fixed" (better) it's seen in a different light (as in, not a serious platform, just a fun one). So while Nintendo has improved their overall image there's still some uncertainty.

This is uncertainty about it being a serious platform and it's longevity against the "big boys" that could *easily* be swayed if say once thought HD-only titles start coming to Wii as well. Multiplatform HD-only games like SF4, RE5, SC4, COD4, GTA4 and now FF13...they are like games that are coming to everything BUT Nintendo...and that does still have a negative stigma. But, look at GH's success with Nintendo, it caused MTV to bring over RB and convinced Activision to bring over COD. Look at RE sales on Wii, it helped in the decision to bring DR (once thought totally undoable on Wii) to Wii and hopefull SF4 & RE5 as well (they *should* in some form considering, as we get closer to their console releases, HD consoles still won't have the needed sales in Japan). This is going to be a slow and gradual thing, but it's happening. I *know* Reggie has been knocking on RockStar's door to bring over GTA, but they didn't seem convinced after Bully & ManHunt...but...GTA coming to NDS could have some sway in their decision. GTA (in some form or another) on Wii would be a bigger announcement than FF13 on X360 for mindshare.

Notice there's a lot of white area there between the perception that 3RD parties either will or won't come to Wii...a white area that can easily be shifted to the possitive scales if say SF4 or RE5 were announced for Wii too *let alone* some type of GTA! Sales and marketshare are one thing, but mindshare is just as important to some buyers.

I... don't think you got the joke.

donny2112

Stumpokapow said:
If these numbers are not acceptable because you (correctly) feel wary about using numbers that have been fudged, or you're worried the source data is not accurate enough, donny also does a version with only US+JPN sales which is 100% free of any kind of GAF-inflicted tampering.

Thanks, Stumpokapow. :)

SecretDestroyer said:
Did Wii just overtake the Gamecube's N.A. LTD?

The Wii should pass the GCN in August in the U.S. Xbox by the end of the year.

jordan0386 said:
They already spent $100M on PS360.

Who is picking up the check on the Wii version?

Taking the profits from the HD version to fund the Wii games.

If they did decide to bring over IV, there's no way they'd pass up porting GTA3, VC, and SA, as well.

F#A#Oo said:
I mean the DS also still has shortages from time to time...for some unknown reason.

Just the last two Januarys due to putting everything they can into retail by Christmas and then going back to normal shipping methods.

yoopoo said:
http://www.dabbledoo.com/ee/images/uploads/gamertell/npd_chart_june2008.jpg

Wow. WII Rock Band #12 and no sign of the PS2 version. Guitar Hero: Aerosmith leading on the Wii the same way LEGO Indiana Jones did. The market has spoken (again). Wonder if any more publishers will listen this time around. :lol

jibblypop said:
Just because something doesn't make the top 10 doesn't mean it's a bomb. These games can still be profitable. I'm not saying they definitely are.. I'm just saying that you never know.

Last gen, sure. This gen, with the talked about huge increase in costs, I really question whether a next-gen budget game can recoup its costs if it doesn't make the Top 10 in its first month (excluding November/December).

deepbrown said:
Looks like VGCraps chart...we sure this estimates aren't just from that lame website?

Abso-friggin-lutely sure.

Busaiku said:
What were Rock Band 360/PS3 and PS2 numbers during their debuts?

360 was ~300K, and PS3 was ~70K. PS2 was pretty scarce its first month, IIRC, but we don't have its numbers.

Deku

Banned
@ the new Top20 figures.

really surprising stuff. It's really very nearly impossible to spin that 3rd party games don't sell on Wii or DS.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Stumpokapow said:
I agree with your largely quite salient points. In fact, I was reading the New York Times the other day and saw this graph which really made me smh (shake my head) that I thought might be interesting to share:

5cQldUc.jpg

:lol You got one.

DrGAKMAN

Banned
BorkBork said:
:lol You got one.

What...is the joke the "believe" or is it that it's fake?

Either way my post still stands and was less about the pic and more about some points I was trying to make!

Deku

Banned
^ at graph. So basically the US is again at the bottom of 'A' list due to religious dogmatism?

That said I'd like to see what sort of sample size was used, and methodology. I can never tell if these studies can be believed or not.

Grecco

Guitar Hero was already strong on Wii. Now Wii is the current-gen system with the largest userbase. Put together, it doesn't seem that surprising to me

I know GH was strong on Wii but i thought GH3 was still leading LTD on 360 vs Wii. Which is why its suprising.

Theres also the fact that Rock Band debuted on Wii, and even with the posibility of a crossed market, it still beat the 360 and PS2 versions. (And the PS3 version i guess)

Vinci

Danish
Count Dookkake said:
2 questions:

Is the "3rd parties don't sell on Wii" meme officially dead?

What's the next "Wait until ____" game?

LittleBigPlanet, I suspect.

EDIT: They're running out pretty fast.

donny2112

Grecco said:
I know GH was strong on Wii but i thought GH3 was still leading LTD on 360 vs Wii. Which is why its suprising.

The Wii version of GH3 should be ahead of the 360 version (combined) now. Just looking at individual SKUs, I think the Wii version is the best-selling individual SKU (i.e. not combining bundled with non-bundled). I believe Reggie stated as much at E3.

Stumpokapow said:

5cQldUc.jpg

Nice poll remix.

DrGAKMAN

Banned
Gaborn said:

Shoulda read between the "religious" lines there. Guess I have egg on my face...still my post has merit to the actual topic at hang...here it is without the references to the fake stats...

As silly as it seems, it's a perception thing still with American audiences and Nintendo has largely fixed their perception from 4/5 years ago. But I think that while it's "fixed" (better) it's seen in a different light (as in, not a serious platform, just a fun one). So while Nintendo has improved their overall image there's still some uncertainty.

Notice there's a perception that 3RD parties won't come to Wii...a percetion that can easily be shifted to the possitive scales if say SF4 or RE5 were announced for Wii as well as the HD systems *let alone* some type of GTA! Sales and marketshare are one thing, but mindshare is just as important to some buyers.

GhaleonEB

I'm waaay late to this particular party, but wow. PS3 sales have finally really taken off. MS seems content with their current sales level, as that's where they are going to stay through the fall. They're literally handing this year to Sony.

Strange times.

Deku

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
I'm waaay late to this particular party, but wow. PS3 sales have finally really taken off. MS seems content with their current sales level, as that's where they are going to stay through the fall. They're literally handing this year to Sony.

Strange times.

They got FFXIII and is going after Wii's casual market. I'm not sure what more they can do.

Nocebo

GhaleonEB said:

Strange times.
I think it's a bit early to say "sales have really taken off for the ps3".

donny2112

GhaleonEB said:
PS3 sales have finally really taken off.

Just like in Japan with the release of MGS4 (the U.S. also had a new BC SKU to add to the fun), and we've already seen how that played out.

Akira said:
Introduce the 60GB SKU at $299?

Clear out stock of the 20GB at $299 before introducing the new 60GB SKU?

In other words, Microsoft was 100% focused on profitability this FY. They have it. Immediately starting in July, they started back on to the task of trying to actually sell consoles. I hope that 1) the 60GB SKU is Jasper, 2) it drops to $299 right after stock of the 20GB is gone, and 3) they drop the price of the accessories. 1 and 2 are likely, in my opinion.

GhaleonEB said:

Strange times.
You come to that conclusion from just this months sales?

Opiate said:
This is a joke, of course, but I am noticing that the blockbuster AAA PS3 titles are doing much much better than anything else on the system. AAA Blockbusters usually do better, but not this much better: it seems like you're either MGS4/Resistance/GTA4, or you're nothing.
A bit late but I do recall a "post your game collection" thread where just about everyone with a PS3 had the same 6 games plus 1 or 2 others.

donny2112 said:
In other words, Microsoft was 100% focused on profitability this FY. They have it. Immediately starting in July, they started back on to the task of trying to actually sell consoles. I hope that 1) the 60GB SKU is Jasper, 2) it drops to $299 right after stock of the 20GB is gone, and 3) they drop the price of the accessories. 1 and 2 are likely, in my opinion.
You really think 2 is likely? I dunno, man. I could see them moving 20GB 360's through the holidays, then just sticking with the $350 60GBs into the more relaxed new year.

Wallach

Souldriver said:
You come to that conclusion from just this months sales?

He's probably right. They've both got some big titles coming up and will likely see similar boosts in the holiday season; Sony has a new $399 package hitting in September and Microsoft may respond with a "real" $50 price cut in response.

But looking at the year so far, Sony has started to move away from them a bit whereas earlier in the year they were pretty even. Microsoft doesn't seem eager to respond to correct that.

spwolf

Bending_Unit_22 said:
A bit late but I do recall a "post your game collection" thread where just about everyone with a PS3 had the same 6 games plus 1 or 2 others.

8 games attach rate... you think thats bad? :lol

spwolf said:
He was talking about people having the same games, not how many each had.

Of course, either way GAF is not a very good sample group to extrapolate from.

Arde5643

spwolf said:
Actually, if we combine the number of PS3 games with the blu-ray movies then the attach rates will probably near that of 360 or at least the Wii.

Gaborn

Arde5643 said:
Actually, if we combine the number of PS3 games with the blu-ray movies then the attach rates will probably near that of 360 or at least the Wii.

This is a gaming forum, not a movie forum. OT is THAT way ->

Snipes424

spwolf said:

Are they saying like an average 360 owner has 8 games for their console? I think the number is slightly skewed because you have to take into the fact that the console was out a year before PS3 and wii so obviously people would be buying games for a while just on 360.

For example I buy most of my multiplatform games on the PS3 now, but I STILL have more 360 games, and the last 360 game I bought was CoD4 back last year.

If I am wrong about what attach rate means, then please tell me exactly what it is.

Gaborn

spwolf said:

Btw, I think you're misunderstanding what was said there. I think they mean some people have games A, B, and C, some people might have games D, E, and F, or maybe G or H, or some combination of those games, but nothing much BEYOND any of those games. So people might have Resistance and Uncharted, War Hawk, Heavenly Sword, maybe folklore, but not often games after that. In other words, people that buy games for it will buy the same few games in differing combinations rather than a wide swathe of games.

Arde :( My sarcasm meter must be broken today

Snipes424 said:
Are they saying like an average 360 owner has 8 games for their console? I think the number is slightly skewed because you have to take into the fact that the console was out a year before PS3 and wii so obviously people would be buying games for a while just on 360.

For example I buy most of my multiplatform games on the PS3 now, but I STILL have more 360 games, and the last 360 game I bought was CoD4 back last year.

If I am wrong about what attach rate means, then please tell me exactly what it is.
Attach rate when talking consoles tends to mean games/hardware, or accessories/hardware. The faster a console sells the smaller the attach rate tends to be.

Unless that console is the PS2 or PS3. PS2 insanely high attach rate, PS3 insanely low. Under most circumstances that should be opposite.

Snipes424

Thunder Monkey said:
Attach rate when talking consoles tends to mean games/hardware, or accessories/hardware. The faster a console sells the smaller the attach rate tends to be.

Unless that console is the PS2 or PS3. PS2 insanely high attach rate, PS3 insanely low. Under most circumstances that should be opposite.

ahh ok that makes sense, thanks for the clarification.

JoshuaJSlone said:
He was talking about people having the same games, not how many each had.

Of course, either way GAF is not a very good sample group to extrapolate from.
Yeah, I should have been more obvious that I wasn't being that serious there since GAF isn't very representive of gamers in general. Opiate's comment just reminded me of that thread and the big argument that erupted between PS3 owners and everyone else over that very issue.

Arde5643 said:
Should I have put a :lol in my post?

I guess snark doesn't come naturally online. :/
Oh well, at least I'm not the only one.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
I wonder if the Wii Guitar Hero and Rock Band sales are boosted because it's the "cheapest" way for someone without a game system to get either of those games up and running on a current game system.

Looks like RockBand Wii (unfortunately) actually sold well, probably over 200K, which definitely decent considering it's gimped and came out so long after the other versions. Combined with Lego Indiana Jones and Aerosmith being the best selling versions, and I think more people are starting to see what what some of us have been saying all along - 3rd parties are doing well on Wii.

That said, not every multiplatform game is going sell best on Wii. For example, Call of Duty: WoW won't. Even though it looks like the Wii version will actually be pretty decent, the franchise has been firmly established on the 360 (and to a lesser extent PS3) and that's where most of its fanbase will go to for WoW.

Zerachiel

Skiptastic said:
At 14 pages with 100 posts per page, I didn't get a chance to see if I echo anyone's sentiments, but this month shows the power of an exclusive. When GTA4 comes out on two consoles, it doesn't help someone decided it's time to buy a console. When a bigtime exclusive comes out on a console, that will help people decide and move some consoles.

Only someone so enmeshed in the console wars could come to this conclusion. GTA4 is exclusive to the two HD platforms; that's enough. If someone was going to buy a console for GTA4, do you really think they'd say, "hmmm, it's not exclusive, so fuck it!" People who already owned a next-gen console will dampen this effect but not destroy it entirely. Plus, people who are willing to buy two next-gen consoles are such a small portion of the audience as to be statistically irrelevant.

The truth is, no game results in a considerable bump for a console in the short-term. It's a cumulative effect; most people will either pick it up earlier, when they're reasonably certain that there won't be a price drop inbetween their purchase and the release of their anticipated game, or afterwards, once Christmas or other disposable income floats their way. The only thing that causes increases of the like we've seen herre are seasonal variants, new colors, and price drops. This month's increase is due to the MGS4 bundle; without it, PS3 sales would have remained stagnant.

Top Bottom