• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June 2008 NPD Sales Data

pgtl_10

_Alkaline_ said:
Looks like RockBand Wii (unfortunately) actually sold well, probably over 200K, which definitely decent considering it's gimped and came out so long after the other versions. Combined with Lego Indiana Jones and Aerosmith being the best selling versions, and I think more people are starting to see what what some of us have been saying all along - 3rd parties are doing well on Wii.

That said, not every multiplatform game is going sell best on Wii. For example, Call of Duty: WoW won't. Even though it looks like the Wii version will actually be pretty decent, the franchise has been firmly established on the 360 (and to a lesser extent PS3) and that's where most of its fanbase will go to for WoW.

IF COD sells 500k I think that be pretty successful. Hopefully Activision advertises the Wii version extensively.

Does anybody have a number range for sales after no. 10? I want to see how Guiter Hero and Rock Band Wii did.

Sharp

pgtl_10 said:
IF COD sells 500k I think that be pretty successful. Hopefully Activision advertises the Wii version extensively.

Does anybody have a number range for sales after no. 10? I want to see how Guiter Hero and Rock Band Wii did.
About ten times better than they deserved, that's all you need to know :(

GhaleonEB

donny2112 said:
Just like in Japan with the release of MGS4 (the U.S. also had a new BC SKU to add to the fun), and we've already seen how that played out.
Well, I was referring to relative to last year as well. It's done better than expected all year, and this is a sizable bump.
Deku said:
They got FFXIII and is going after Wii's casual market. I'm not sure what more they can do.
Maybe drop the price a bit?

Opiate

GhaleonEB said:
Well, I was referring to relative to last year as well. It's done better than expected all year, and this is a sizable bump.

Maybe drop the price a bit?

They can't without losing more money. Neither can Sony, of course.

Pachael

Mr. Wonderful said:
With both companies reducing motherboard components again this fall, do we really believe that's still the case?

Maybe - but there's really no way to say as both companies aren't really into releasing unit costs of their consoles to the public. We can only look at profit and loss statements and make conjecture on the profitability of the game divisions.

Of course, Nintendo has the room to match a price cut if required, so... :lol

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
DavidDayton said:
I wonder if the Wii Guitar Hero and Rock Band sales are boosted because it's the "cheapest" way for someone without a game system to get either of those games up and running on a current game system.

#they would buy the ps2 versions if they would just care about the money...

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Does someone know the current tie-in ratios, by any chance?

I'm especially interested in knowing how the Wii has fared against the 360 since the beginning of the year. Did the ratio go up, down? Is it stagnant?

carlosp

Banned
a little question:

does PSN games count while talking about the attach rate? While i dont own any retails games (bough, played, sold) i have a lot of PSN games including all big games (tekken, GT, WH) and many B-Games. Shouldn't the Companies start to release those data like the music industry does with iTunes download numbers etc. ??

carlosp said:
a little question:

does PSN games count while talking about the attach rate? While i dont own any retails games (bough, played, sold) i have a lot of PSN games including all big games (tekken, GT, WH) and many B-Games. Shouldn't the Companies start to release those data like the music industry does with iTunes download numbers etc. ??

To the best of my knowledge, no, none of the digitally distributed games are counted.

cw_sasuke

Luckyman said:
You do realize COD4 did about 10 times COD3 on PS3

so what ? cod3 is the only game u can compare since it`s been released on both platforms ... and btw. i don`t think that cod4 on ps3 alone sold over 4 million units...

Kilrogg said:
Does someone know the current tie-in ratios, by any chance?

I'm especially interested in knowing how the Wii has fared against the 360 since the beginning of the year. Did the ratio go up, down? Is it stagnant?
We hear that stuff a bit infrequently. Here are the last few I've noted that concern this year:

After December 2007
http://wii.ign.com/articles/847/847472p1.html
"Wii's life-to-date software to hardware tie ratio is at 4.64, compared to 4.26 on PlayStation 3 (despite a much smaller installed base) and 7.0 on Xbox 360, according to NPD data."

After March 2008
http://nintendo-ds.dcemu.co.uk/npd-s-latest-software-tie-ratios-for-consoles-107904.html
X360: 7.5
Wii: 5.3
PS3: 4.6
DS: 4.7
PSP: 4.2

And though the PS3/Wii numbers are estimates, here's what the Edge/Next-Gen NPD analysis figured after May's numbers.
X360: 7.7
Wii: 5.4
PS3: 4.9

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
JoshuaJSlone said:
We hear that stuff a bit infrequently. Here are the last few I've noted that concern this year:

After December 2007
http://wii.ign.com/articles/847/847472p1.html
"Wii's life-to-date software to hardware tie ratio is at 4.64, compared to 4.26 on PlayStation 3 (despite a much smaller installed base) and 7.0 on Xbox 360, according to NPD data."

After March 2008
http://nintendo-ds.dcemu.co.uk/npd-s-latest-software-tie-ratios-for-consoles-107904.html
X360: 7.5
Wii: 5.3
PS3: 4.6
DS: 4.7
PSP: 4.2

And though the PS3/Wii numbers are estimates, here's what the Edge/Next-Gen NPD analysis figured after May's numbers.
X360: 7.7
Wii: 5.4
PS3: 4.9

Thank you, JoshuaJSlone.

Interesting. Both the 360 and the Wii gained roughly 1.0. With a system selling as fast as the Wii, you'd expect its tie-ratio to grow at a significantly lower pace than that of the 360.

Vinci

Danish
Pachael said:
Of course, Nintendo has the room to match a price cut if required, so... :lol

It won't be required. They can both go less than the Wii in price, and it'll still outsell them. Actually, I'm really waiting for that to happen - I'm curious whether it would still beat them both combined.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Vinci said:
It won't be required. They can both go less than the Wii in price, and it'll still outsell them. Actually, I'm really waiting for that to happen - I'm curious whether it would still beat them both combined.

That's pretty bold. I know the Wii's success isn't wholly related to price, but as a retailer I'm fairly confident that the HD console's lack of breakout success is due to their price.

Jokeropia

VanMardigan said:
That's pretty bold. I know the Wii's success isn't wholly related to price, but as a retailer I'm fairly confident that the HD console's lack of breakout success is due to their price.
In much of Europe, the Premium 360 already costs the same as a Wii and the Core 360 costs less.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
jeremy_ricci said:
Really, I can't read?

Okay, let me break it down for you, child.

These are not Nintendo 1st party titles that cater to small groups of people (Pikmin, Animal Crossing). These are fairly big name titles.

I bet every single game that I listed will break 1 Million copies sold. As a gamer, I will be interested in the console that is pumping out exclusive content. I don't care about 'sales'. If you think those titles combined aren't a compelling reason to purchase a PS3, you're crazy.

Gamers didn't buy the 360 *just* for Halo 3 or Gears of War. The combination of Dead Rising, Gears of War, DoA4, Lost Planet, Halo 3, and GTA IV all pushed 360 hardware to the point it's at today.

The problem is, the 360 has been heavily reliant on 3rd party software and having the 'superior version'. But what happens when that bucket runs dry? When the users base get's to a 'critical mass' when the number on both consoles really don't increase / decrease sales? When the hardware / software difference between both becomes less and less apparent? Do you *really* think that a strong line up of 1st party titles, no matter how much they sell, is going to have no impact on that console?

You think that come 2009, that big library of 1st party software isn't going to seem appealing to someone? I honestly think KZ 2 has just as much system moving power as MGS4.

Gears of War sold, initially, because it was really good looking, visually. It didn't take off on the sales charts for any other reason, intially. It turned out ot be a great game, but before gamers knew that, they knew it looked amazing.

You're ape shit if you think the line up for upcoming PS3 games isn't going to help push hardware world wide. Even then, FFXIII is only on PS3 in Japan, where 360 sales are already extremely low, and I'm sure it will push at least 50K consoles the weak that FFXIII comes out in Japan (in 2015).

Both Pikmin and AC are million selling franchises, dingbat. AC WW alone has sold 9.5 million as of last count in Nintendo's fiscals.

VanMardigan said:
It'd not really that bold. The Wii grey market is still pretty active. It is the only console that is still being sold on ebay for above retail price.

*Guaraná

Banned
i did! i actually managed to read 90% of all the posts at this thread 9didn't read those HD market crap). it took me around 2 and half hours, 500ml of Pepsi and one pack of Doritos.

Tabris

Anyone notice how the PSP is starting to sell amazingly well with no driving force for it?

Well there is a driving force, it's from the tide that turned in Japan in Sept 07. It's finally reaching these shores.

cw_sasuke

Tabris said:
Anyone notice how the PSP is starting to sell amazingly well with no driving force for it?

Well there is a driving force, it's from the tide that turned in Japan in Sept 07. It's finally reaching these shores.

software-sales says hi :)

Frillen

Tabris said:

Anyone notice that software sales for the PSP is the worst for a gaming system ever?

Tabris said:

That's the problem: no driving force.

RJT

Frillen said:
Anyone notice that software sales for the PSP is the worst for a gaming system ever?

I wonder what the tie ratio for PSP is... 1? 2?

Joshua, do you have an approximation for the Japanese tie ratio?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Vagabundo said:
I had no idea. And City folk will have a bigger audience.

Wozzers...

Damn, I havent been visiting MC's much over the past 6 months, They grew, tiresome...

In order to have a bigger audience, the system needs to have sold more. More than the DS...unlikely

RJT

Captain Smoker said:
2.20 till end of March 2008.

* japanese tie ratio according to Famitsu/Enterbrain
Thanks! So it should be 1.5 due to Monster Hunter and 0.7 for the rest :lol

Tabris said:
18% better than last year so far, but I don't know about "amazingly well". So far this year it's still in fourth of the six consoles we still get numbers from.

RJT said:
Joshua, do you have an approximation for the Japanese tie ratio?
This thread is frequently updated and a good place to check such a thing. The software data comes from more a mish-mash of sources than I use, but it also makes it more comprehensive as far as finding total software sales. According to it, the PSP's tie ratio was about 2.2 as of June 22.

Since I linked to that thread, I'll balance it out with a link to the console equivalent, too.
Captain Smoker said:
2.20 till end of March 2008.

* japanese tie ratio according to Famitsu/Enterbrain
Hmm. Then I guess either it's been stagnant for a few months, or there are yet bits of data missing from Dalthien's threads that could mean it's a little higher now.

RBH

Overall Top 20 Video Game Titles

1. Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (PS3)
2. Guitar Hero: On Tour (NDS)
3. Ninja Gaiden II (Xbox 360)
4. Wii Fit (Wii)
5. Wii Play w/ Remote (Wii)
6. Battlefield: Bad Company* (Xbox 360)
7. Mario Kart (Wii)
8. Lego Indiana Jones: The Original Adventures (Wii)
9. Lego Indiana Jones: The Original Adventures (NDS)
10. Lego Indiana Jones: The Original Adventures (PS2)
11. Grand Theft Auto IV* (Xbox 360)
12. Rock Band* (Wii)
13. Super Smash Bros: Brawl (Wii)
14. Guitar Hero: Aerosmith* (Wii)
15. Mario and Sonic: Olympic Games (NDS)
16. Guitar Hero: Aerosmith* (Xbox 360)
17. Guitar Hero: Aerosmith* (PS2)
18. New Super Mario Bros (NDS)
19. Grand Theft Auto IV* (PS3)
20. Lego Indiana Jones: The Original Adventures (Xbox 360)

Top 10 Wii Titles

1. Wii Fit
2. Wii Play w/ Remote
3. Mario Kart
4. Lego Indiana Jones: The Original Adventures
5. Rock Band
6. Super Smash Bros: Brawl
7. Guitar Hero: Aerosmith*
8. Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock
9. Game Party
10. Mario and Sonic: Olympic Games

Top 10 Xbox 360 Titles

1. Ninja Gaiden II
2. Battlefield: Bad Company*
3. Grand Theft Auto IV*
4. Guitar Hero: Aerosmith*
5. Lego Indiana Jones: The Original Adventures
6. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare*
7. Dragonball Z: Burst Limit
8. Grid
9. Rock Band*
10. Robert Ludlum's The Bourne Conspiracy

Top 10 PS3 Titles

1. Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
2. Grand Theft Auto IV*
3. Battlefield: Bad Company*
4. Lego Indiana Jones: The Original Adventures
5. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare*
6. Dragonball Z: Burst Limit
7. Guitar Hero: Aerosmith*
8. Grid
9. Robert Ludlum's The Bourne Conspiracy
10. Gran Turismo 5: Prologue

Top 10 PS2 Titles

1. Lego Indiana Jones: The Original Adventures
2. Guitar Hero: Aerosmith*
3. The Incredible Hulk
4. Rock Band*
5. Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock*
6. Kung Fu Panda
7. Iron Man
8. God of War II
9. Grand THeft Auto: San Andreas
10. NASCAR 09

Top 10 NDS Titles

1. Guitar Hero: On Tour
2. Lego Indiana Jones: The Original Adventures
3. Mario and Sonic: Olympic Games
4. New Super Mario Bros
5. Mario Kart
6. Kung Fu Panda
7. Brain Age 2: More Training in Minutes a Day
8. Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift
9. Mario Party
10. Imagine: Babyz

* Includes Collector's, Limited, Legendary, Bundled (Guitars) editions

http://www.interactive.org/top-ten.php

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Y2Kev said:
best news of the month! Alone at the Bottom of the Sales Charts bombed. Atari :lol

Jesus look at the post after yours it didn't even make the per-console top 10. holy fuck that's ghastly. Based on previous leaked months it would have done <40-50k. Yikes!

Perdew

RBH said:
Overall Top 20 Video Game Titles

1. Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (PS3)
2. Guitar Hero: On Tour (NDS)
3. Ninja Gaiden II (Xbox 360)
4. Wii Fit (Wii)
5. Wii Play w/ Remote (Wii)
6. Battlefield: Bad Company* (Xbox 360)
7. Mario Kart (Wii)
8. Lego Indiana Jones: The Original Adventures (Wii)
9. Lego Indiana Jones: The Original Adventures (NDS)
10. Lego Indiana Jones: The Original Adventures (PS2)
11. Grand Theft Auto IV* (Xbox 360)
12. Rock Band* (Wii)
13. Super Smash Bros: Brawl (Wii)
14. Guitar Hero: Aerosmith* (Wii)
15. Mario and Sonic: Olympic Games (NDS)
16. Guitar Hero: Aerosmith* (Xbox 360)
17. Guitar Hero: Aerosmith* (PS2)
18. New Super Mario Bros (NDS)
19. Grand Theft Auto IV* (PS3)
20. Lego Indiana Jones: The Original Adventures (Xbox 360)

http://www.interactive.org/top-ten.php

So multi-plat Third party games really do sell best on Wii?

Loudninja

Stumpokapow said:
Jesus look at the post after yours it didn't even make the per-console top 10. holy fuck that's ghastly. Based on previous leaked months it would have done <40-50k. Yikes!

Wow,that bad huh?

Top Bottom