• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June Hardware Sales Funtime

CoolTrick

Banned
What reason is there to believe ANY of the hardware numbers here?

Because Rhindle always seems to post these numbers (him and bunkum as long as I've lurked here). Meanwhile who is this person that said the DS sold 112k in America?

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
CoolTrick said:
Because Rhindle always seems to post these numbers (him and bunkum as long as I've lurked here). Meanwhile who is this person that said the DS sold 112k in America?

Well for starters someone who has been here long than you....

CoolTrick said:

i am Vince Klortho, Keymaster of GOZER....are you the Gatekeeper??

Monorojo

Banned
I dont know why people find the 112k so hard to believe, thats a 96% increase from last month for DS where it only sold 57k. Thats preety good.

acklame

<psp hater, last month>PSP sales is just riding on the launch, it's going to keep on dropping. especially with barely any new games in june. DS will take over with new releases.</psp hater>

sly

Banned
Speevy said:
I do. There's no reason to ignore an 1,000+ game library. Well, not again anyway. Besides, I can't afford a next-gen console right now.

Ah, I see :) I assumed you'll be buying the Xbox 360 as soon as it is released.

Shiggy

Monorojo said:
I dont know why people find the 112k so hard to believe, thats a 96% increase from last month for DS where it only sold 57k. Thats preety good.

Who confirmed those 57k?

Speevy

Banned
This sort of thing happens to companies all the time, I'm sure.

Nintendo failed to reach a new market with its DS handheld, and has instead split the market for GBA's virtually in half. Half "I want a Gameboy." kids and half "Ooh, that two screen thing looks neat." kids/teens. Poor strategic decision, but then again, I wouldn't expect a dual-screened PSP to generate more demand with Sony's handhelds either.

And in case you're wondering what I mean, I think that if the DS never existed, the GBA would be outselling the PSP right now in NA.

But I really hope we're tired of these machines when the X360 launches. Judging by recent PS3 game showings, this next-generation has so much to offer.

CoolTrick

Banned
Well for starters someone who has been here long than you....

I have lurked here for awhile. What's wrong with what I am asking? All of a sudden someone throws out a number without any source at all. I don't recall them posting sales numbers (maybe I'm wrong, but I don't remember). So why should I believe it? Me being a newer member has nothing to do with this situation. If that poster is trustworthy then very well, I shall accept the number.

If Nintendo is making all of the money and all of the sales from moving the DS and the GBA...then isn't that like, good? For them, anyway? :-\

Speevy

Banned
Not according to sonycowboy's numbers

400K-112K = 288K

Therefore PSP is slightly ahead of the GBA.

But it is reasonable to assume that the GBA would have captured more than 12K of additional sales if there were no DS.

Speevy

Banned
Someone once told me RE: Zelda's lack of grass and barren ground textures "Welcome..to the desert...of the real..."

:lol

CoolTrick

Banned
If your numbers are right I will be the adult and admit I was wrong, but considering I have no idea who you are and I have lurked here for awhile, don't blame me for not instantly believing you.

jarrod

Banned
littlewig said:
NPD is using shipped untis for the PSP sales. :lol
Not at all...

Q1 shipped (SCEA): 1.530.000
Q1 sold (NPD): 620.000

Q2 shipped (SCEA): 1.210.000
Q2 sold (NPD): 895.000

Total shipped (SCEA): 2.740.000
Total sold (NPD): 1.515.000

...though NPD wouldn't count Canada. So estimate about ~10% added to the PSP sold figures. :)

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Speevy said:
But I really hope we're tired of these machines when the X360 launches. Judging by recent PS3 game showings, this next-generation has so much to offer.
But PSP is going to have connectivity with the X360 AND PS3 - it's only going to help sales ;)

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
acklame said:
<psp hater, last month>PSP sales is just riding on the launch, it's going to keep on dropping. especially with barely any new games in june. DS will take over with new releases.</psp hater>
But PSP sales did drop,

May - 250K (4 weeks = 62.5K/week)
June - 294K (5 weeks = 58.8K/week)

Everyone forgot that June was a 5 week month. :p

Okay,

outside of the PSP vs DS numbers (112k June, 57k May are real), does anybody have any comment on the other numbers?

The PS2 number literally shocks this crap out of me. There were no big releases, and I thought it would be much, much lower. It's unreal and I think it ensures that no price drop will happen until October/November, which should give the PS2 a MONSTER bump for the holidays.

The Xbox just confounds me. It's relatively available at retail (except specialty stores, IMO), although I'm 100% convinced that Microsoft is portioning out distribution, but to what end? If they have limited supply, does it really help to hold some back for the holidays, and how much hardware can they have left?

The GCN is just about dead. Only Zelda will provide anything, and they can only hope that the removal of the Xbox as a price point competitor eventually will help them in that market, although I don't really see that happening, despite the fact that the GCN will be out for another 2 years or so.

Barrage

I'm still shocked by how well the GBA continues to sell. When will the GBA fall behind the PSP and DS? It's already happened in Japan, but here, who knows. Especially considering when the GB Micro comes out. I can see Game Boy sales going strong well into 2006.

Barrage said:
I'm still shocked by how well the GBA continues to sell. When will the GBA fall behind the PSP and DS? It's already happened in Japan, but here, who knows. Especially considering when the GB Micro comes out. I can see Game Boy sales going strong well into 2006.

I think Micro is going to be well received.....Nintendo is deffinitely right about targetting non-gamers, Micro is very sexy and less intimidating than the PSP.

Barrage said:

It hasn't fallen like it has in Japan, but it's much lower than GBA sales have been. They've just been so damn high that it's hard to notice the difference.

GBA sales are down ~32% vs the first six months of 2004 (which were down 17% vs the first six months of 2003).

Odysseus

Banned
sonycowboy said:
The PS2 number literally shocks this crap out of me. There were no big releases, and I thought it would be much, much lower. It's unreal and I think it ensures that no price drop will happen until October/November, which should give the PS2 a MONSTER bump for the holidays.

I don't find it so shocking. PS2 had a monster June last year. I know there was a slight price drop last May, but it wasn't all that significant and the May sales didn't have the same spike as June. I just attributed it to the fact that kids were out of school for the summer and parents were buying PS2s to keep the kids busy. I don't doubt that the same is true this year. Of course, there could be other things at play (like slim PS2s still replacing older models), but the point is that this 355K doesn't surprise me in the least.

Amir0x

Banned
Rhindle said:
June Hardware Sales

PSP = 294,000
PS2 = 355,000
Xbox = 168,000
GCN = 70,000
GBA = 288,000
DS = 112,000

Amir0x said:
PS2: 235k
PSP: 180k
XBX: 175k
GCN: 45k
NDS: 125k
GBA: 165k

Ouch on predictions.

Anyway, yeah, I'm pretty shocked at PS2 numbers as well. Honestly, now that's incredible momentum.

Odysseus said:
I don't find it so shocking. PS2 had a monster June last year. I know there was a slight price drop last May, but it wasn't all that significant and the May sales didn't have the same spike as June. I just attributed it to the fact that kids were out of school for the summer and parents were buying PS2s to keep the kids busy. I don't doubt that the same is true this year. Of course, there could be other things at play (like slim PS2s still replacing older models), but the point is that this 355K doesn't surprise me in the least.

It was ALL about the price drop. $179->$149 is huge. Look at the Xbox's percentage jump just a few months before (last April). $149 is a magical price point for consumers. So is $99.

$179 is the lamest price point in the history of consoles. It gave no bump and was just a way for Sony to extend this generation an extra year.

$129, is a pretty good bump historically, as each price point below $149 really opens up a whole new consumer segment.

I expect Sony to drop to $129 this year and save the $99 for when the PS3 launches. However, given the significant battle with Microsoft, I wouldn't be completely shocked if they went all the way down to $99

Rhindle

Weekly sales for all consoles are actually pretty flat vs. May, so these numbers should not be surprising.

DS sales got a weak bump due to free games + new color. That should dissipate fairly rapidly.

PSP weekly sales are tapering off slightly, but reaching a steady state at a very high level. PSP could be the dominant platform over the holidays with a price cut, GTA and the UMD format taking off.

Elios83

PSP did much better than expected.I think that by the end of the year it will be the new number one handheld console in USA.
Actually I expected this to happen in Japan and not in USA (at least not so soon),and I've never believed that UMD movies could be so successful...so PSP definetly reserved surprises.Now it will be really interesting to see how it will perform in Europe.

Gessle

Does anyone know what is the sell-through for the NDS in the US?

I think it was 1,300,000 as of December '04, then around 450,000 from January to April, then 57,000 in May and 112,000 in June. This would make a total of 1,919,000. Am I right?

Rhindle said:
Weekly sales for all consoles are actually pretty flat vs. May, so these numbers should not be surprising.

DS sales got a weak bump due to free games + new color. That should dissipate fairly rapidly.

PSP weekly sales are tapering off slightly, but reaching a steady state at a very high level. PSP could be the dominant platform over the holidays with a price cut, GTA and the UMD format taking off.

True, but sales rarely are that linear in the US. Although in my prediction threads, I do always tell people to consider the number of weeks in the month. But the US has so many up and down periods from a retail perspective that it's hard to know.

BTW, here's the average weekly sales by month for this year (by dividing the monthly sales by the number of weeks for that month) NOTE: I have to leave GBA & DS out because of the super secret nature of those numbers ;)

Code:
[b]Month /  Period           PS2        Xbox     Gamecube      PSP[/b]
[B]Jan per week[/B]           122,501      60,594       28,082        0
[B]Feb per Week[/B]           134,476      53,261       28,603        0
[B]March per Week  [/B]        98,376      44,984       18,608  123,706
[B]April per Week [/B]         83,030      38,169       15,539   87,769
[B]May per Week  [/B]          68,399      32,715       12,622   62,548
[B]June per Week  [/B]         71,000      33,600       14,000   58,800

Gessle said:
Does anyone know what is the sell-through for the NDS in the US?

I think it was 1,300,000 as of December '04, then around 450,000 from January to April, then 57,000 in May and 112,000 in June. This would make a total of 1,919,000. Am I right?

Nope. Your number is too high

Gessle

Too high? Man, DS is doing worse than I thought. That, or the PSP is doing extremely good. Should catch up with DS in a couple of months, then.

Fuzzy

sonycowboy said:
What we do know about the DS is 1,650,895 (Nintendo's press release said 1.72 million) from launch to March 31st, plus 57K and 112K the last two months plus whatever it did in April (where it was GBA/DS = 250K). I'd say that 1.9 million is pretty accurate.

Monorojo

Banned
I dont know if his numbers are too high, but they are a bit off.The 428,000 mark was Jan - Mar, not April. April DS totals are unkown, May is 57k, June 112k and Nov+Dec. was around 1.15 Million.

Doing the math thats 1.74 Million without April if im not mistaken.

Oh and here is US+Japan for June 2005

US NPD
PSP - 294,000
DS - 112,000

Japan MC May 30th-July 3rd
PSP - 107,880
DS - 166,952

Total US+Japan
PSP - 401,880 (+13% from last month)
DS - 278,952 (+26% from last month)

Fuzzy said:
What we do know about the DS is 1,650,895 (Nintendo's press release said 1.72 million) from launch to March 31st, plus 57K and 112K the last two months plus whatever it did in April (where it was GBA/DS = 250K). I'd say that 1.9 million is pretty accurate.

It's close, but not right. Let's just say April was pretty bad as well.

Fuzzy

sonycowboy said:
It's close, but not right. Let's just say April was pretty bad as well.
Why is it that you always make these kinds of statements instead of actually saying what it is you obviously want to? :p

sonycowboy said:

No, it isn't. At least, not according to the numbers on this forum:

DS Sales

Nov = 479,000
Dec = 745,899
Jan = 152,091
Feb + Mar = 275,909 (from YTD sales through March of 428,000, minus Jan)
Apr = ??
May = 57,000
Jun = 112,000

Total = 1,821,899 plus April's missing #, probably a little less than 100,000. His number looks pretty good. If you have better data, can you post it?

Leondexter said:
No, it isn't. At least, not according to the numbers on this forum:

DS Sales

Nov = 479,000
Dec = 745,899
Jan = 152,091
Feb + Mar = 275,909 (from YTD sales through March of 428,000, minus Jan)
Apr = ??
May = 57,000
Jun = 112,000

Total = 1,821,899 plus April's missing #, probably a little less than 100,000. His number looks pretty good. If you have better data, can you post it?

I've already said that April was << 100k, but not as bad as May. BTW, you do know that most of the DS numbers for past months was because I posted them, right?

Fuzzy said:
Why is it that you always make these kinds of statements instead of actually saying what it is you obvious want to? :p

I'd love to, but I like my numbers more.

Top Bottom