• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June Hardware Sales Funtime

Gessle

Ok, so we have:
1,650,895 + 57,000 + 112,000 + let's say 60,000 for April = 1,880,000 approx.

This means DS's advantage over the PSP is about 350,000 units.

littlewig

Banned
Considering there will be only 4 weeks of for July, I predict the PSP will come in around 220K for the month, and DS will get 80-100K for the month. So the DS will still be in the lead by August by about 100-200K.

Now the month of August will be interesting, this is when the DS hits it's stream of games. We have Nintendogs, Advance Wars, and Yu-Gi-OH all coming out in August.

For the PSP, the only game coming out for it is Death Jr.

From August and onward, DS will have an edge on the number of software releases, so it will be hard for the PSP to overtake it in US this year.

Prine

Banned
Great PSP numbers. Glad to it double DS sales in US. Just wait until it gets some big name games, should start tearing up the handheld market. US gamers know the score

Keep it up Sony!

littlewig said:
Considering there will be only 4 weeks of for July, I predict the PSP will come in around 220K for the month, and DS will get 80-100K for the month. So the DS will still be in the lead by August by about 100-200K.

Now the month of August will be interesting, this is when the DS hits it's stream of games. We have Nintendogs, Advance Wars, and Yu-Gi-OH all coming out in August.

For the PSP, the only game coming out for it is Death Jr.

From August and onward, DS will have an edge on the number of software releases, so it will be hard for the PSP to overtake it in US this year.

Well, by that logic, the DS should have outsold the PSP this month.

DS had:
-------------------------------
a) A new color
b) A free game bundled
c) 5 games (Kirby, Meteos, Bomberman, Goldeneye, & Splinter Cell) - with only Meteos & SC at then end of the month.

PSP had:
--------------------------------
a) Two games released at the end of the month (MC3: Dub & DTR)

I do think software will make a difference, but unless it's a huge release, it won't move hardware significantly and the DS is already is very low area, so it needs to rebound.

I do expect the PSP to continue to decline (although I've expected that for 2 months and it hasn't gone nearly as low as I expected).

sonycowboy said:
I've already said that April was << 100k, but not as bad as May. BTW, you do know that most of the DS numbers for past months was because I posted them, right?

Great! Why stop now? Everyone loves numbers.

sonycowboy said:
I'd love to, but I like my numbers more.

Including you!

jarrod

Banned
Great PS2 numbers. Glad to it double Xbox sales in US. Just wait until it gets some more big name games, should continue tearing up the console market. US gamers know the score

Keep it up Sony!

Prine said:
Great PSP numbers. Glad to it double DS sales in US. Just wait until it gets some big name games, should start tearing up the handheld market. US gamers know the score

Keep it up Sony!

As a slight clarification, 294k is ~2.6 times 112k

jarrod said:
Great PS2 numbers. Glad to it double Xbox sales in US. Just wait until it gets some more big name games, should continue tearing up the console market. US gamers know the score

Keep it up Sony!

:lol :lol

It's all Sony all the time baby! (Except for that pesky GBA - We'll get you meddling kids!!)

CoolTrick

Banned

DS had:
a) A new color
b) A free game bundled
c) 5 games (Kirby, Meteos, Bomberman, Goldeneye, & Splinter Cell) - with only Meteos & SC at then end of the month.

I think this is a tad fauly logic. New colors are not the boost like they are in Japan.

What you do have coming up are the big Mario titles, the big guns for the DS.

The DS has already shown it can support a million seller. That goes a long way.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
sonycowboy said:

To be fair, this was the third month after the launch of the PSP. If the PSP destroys the DS in August with that lineup, then start posting the bail out pics.

Elios83

littlewig said:

PSP has a stronger lineup than DS for the rest of the year as far as western gamers' tastes are concerned.With all the EA stuff like Madden,Burnout,SSX plus of course GTA Liberty City Stories I really don't think PSP will have any lineup problem this fall in Usa/Europe.

Edit: I forgot to mention all the UMD movies catalogue :p :p :lol

jedimike

jarrod said:

Keep it up Sony!

and finally... jarrod starts to crack. Handheld pressure is just too much. j/k

Prine

Banned
sonycowboy said:
:lol :lol

It's all Sony all the time baby! (Except for that pesky GBA - We'll get you meddling kids!!)

YEp. Sony = underdog in handheld market. Which is why its good to see PSP selling well

jarrod

Banned
sonycowboy said:

DS had:
a) A new color
b) A free game bundled

PSP had:

I do think software will make a difference, but unless it's a huge release, it won't move hardware significantly and the DS is already is very low area, so it needs to rebound.

I do expect the PSP to continue to decline (although I've expected that for 2 months and it hasn't gone nearly as low as I expected).
You forgot PSP's b) 19 or so movie releases. :p

jarrod said:

Keep it up Sony!

Of course, for it to be truly correct, you'd have to modify that line to "Worldwide gamers know the score"[/b] :D

jarrod

Banned
Elios83 said:
PSP has a stronger lineup than DS for the rest of the year as far as western gamers' tastes are concerned.With all the EA stuff like Madden,Burnout,SSX plus of course GTA Liberty City Stories I really don't think PSP will have any lineup problem this fall in Usa/Europe.
Er... everything you mentioned but GTA is hitting DS too. :p

Elios83

jarrod said:
Er... everything you mentioned but GTA is hitting DS too. :p

But the impact those titles will have on the two consoles will be really different in my opinion.
On DS Ea titles will pass without being noticed, on PSP they have the possibilty to be good sellers (and system sellers).

thorns

Banned
I don't understand the low xbox sales.. why? The game sales look quite good but the hardware sales are quite low compared to ps2.

SantaC

thorns said:
I don't understand the low xbox sales.. why? The game sales look quite good but the hardware sales are quite low compared to ps2.

Why buy a xbox now when the X60 is like 4 months away.

sonycowboy said:

DS had:
a) A new color
b) A free game bundled

PSP had:

Yeah, the DS software hasn't done much to help hardware sales. I think the reason is simple: the competition. The PSP is selling 'cause it's cool, simple as that. It's not the games, it's not the movies, it's just fucking cool. And that hurts the DS, a lot. The "different demographics" is BS right now--they are both new handhelds, and people are choosing between them when they buy. The demographic that the DS is supposed to appeal to (aside from non-gamers, who are never coming, guys!) is still going for the GBA. Maybe that'll change as it becomes apparent that the bulk of Nintendo's games are coming on DS.

In Japan, the GBA has pretty much been replaced with the DS. It didn't happen here. I think Nintendo messed up here when they didn't call it the "Game Boy DS". They tried to hedge their bets in case it failed, and now it's struggling because of that. "3rd pillar", yeah right.

jarrod

Banned
Elios83 said:
But the impact those titles will have on the two consoles will be really different in my opinion.
On DS Ea titles will pass without being noticed, on PSP they have the possibilty to be good sellers (and system sellers).
Certainly, PSP's doing a fantastic job at trying to look like a mini-PS2. But that in itself doesn't somehow make it's overall lineup more appealing to "western tastes" when DS has most of those same titles plus essentially everything that made GBA the best selling handheld in history (Mario Kart, Mario, Sonic, Yu-Gi-OH, Harry Potter, Tony Hawk, Kirby, Mega Man, Disney, etc). Be more carfeul in your words, GBA is one of the most successful US platforms ever and DS has pretty much supplanted it's software support.

Kroole

"Yeah, the DS software hasn't done much to help hardware sales. I think the reason is simple: the competition. The PSP is selling 'cause it's cool, simple as that. It's not the games, it's not the movies, it's just fucking cool. And that hurts the DS, a lot. The "different demographics" is BS right now--they are both new handhelds, and people are choosing between them when they buy. The demographic that the DS is supposed to appeal to (aside from non-gamers, who are never coming, guys!) is still going for the GBA. Maybe that'll change as it becomes apparent that the bulk of Nintendo's games are coming on DS.

In Japan, the GBA has pretty much been replaced with the DS. It didn't happen here. I think Nintendo messed up here when they didn't call it the "Game Boy DS". They tried to hedge their bets in case it failed, and now it's struggling because of that. "3rd pillar", yeah right."

Well there are actually quite a number of good NDS software in Japan which isn't really the case in NA (or EU). Nintendo didn't just replace the GBA, they showed the japanese what they NDS really could do and the dug it (Quendan, Nintendogs, Brain training, Band brothers just to name a few.

Pimpwerx

Damn. I guess PSP demand is much better in the US than in Japan. That is really wierd since they are more likely to go for the overpriced gizmos. I wonder if Nintendo will shift focus back to the GBA once the Micro come along, or if the third pillar is really becoming a reality. B/c the DS is clowning the GBA in Japan...and the PSP at the moment. So it's not like they can drop it without losing big over there. But if the Micro comes along and bests both, maybe they can bail on the DS??? Two handheld future might be real afterall. :? PEACE.

Pimpwerx said:
Damn. I guess PSP demand is much better in the US than in Japan. That is really wierd since they are more likely to go for the overpriced gizmos. I wonder if Nintendo will shift focus back to the GBA once the Micro come along, or if the third pillar is really becoming a reality. B/c the DS is clowning the GBA in Japan...and the PSP at the moment. So it's not like they can drop it without losing big over there. But if the Micro comes along and bests both, maybe they can bail on the DS??? Two handheld future might be real afterall. :? PEACE.
I think the iPod did alot to eliminate any American consumer fear of high-priced gizmos over the last 1-2 years. Millions have now crossed the line where they are willing to drop $300+ for a mp3 player. A PSP isn't much of a stretch at all.

jarrod

Banned
Actually, one factor I didn't take into account is iQue DS launching this year in China. Unfortunately, we don't ever get any iQue figures. :/

Kroole said:
"Well there are actually quite a number of good NDS software in Japan which isn't really the case in NA (or EU). Nintendo didn't just replace the GBA, they showed the japanese what they NDS really could do and the dug it (Quendan, Nintendogs, Brain training, Band brothers just to name a few.

I agree. And they need to do that here. They have until Christmas to do so, with only Pokemon to bail them out after that. They've all but abandoned the GBA on the development side, so they're going to be in a very tricky situation if the DS is extremely successful while the GBA retires in Japan (which looks like the case) but the GBA stays strong while the DS falters in the US (which looks possible).

I truly think that if they named the DS "Game Boy", it'd sell like crazy even without must-have software. The GBA sold in record numbers before it had any great games. I think in Japan they've accepted it as the new Game Boy, but not here. Here, they don't really know what it is.

BTW, I have Band Bros--it rocks.

littlewig

Banned
Someone should save this thread for pwning purposing. It's funny how people are alreayd counting out the DS. Japan 2 indeed. :lol

Tonche

My theory on the Microsoft holding back hardware is that if they put it out there and it all sells, then effectively they are killing the console and software sales going forward.

By spacing out the number of units they get into the market, they can sustain the console for a longer period of time and they'd be hoping this will mean that software sales will be stronger.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I think PSP sales will be up quite a bit for july because of the UMD movies. I'd say as much as 400k or at least 350k, so consider DS's instaled base already passed by PSP in NA. But I still don't think it's Game Over for DS yet, it may not outsell PSP but it'll still be a fairly successful system with all the big name games it's gonna be getting like Pokemon and Mario Kart.

Azelover

btw, what are the current worldwide totals for GBA/SP hardware? thanks in advance

Azelover

littlewig said:
Someone should save this thread for pwning purposing. It's funny how people are alreayd counting out the DS. Japan 2 indeed. :lol

uh, don't count on it, really. And I actually like DS.

PS2 is on essentially track to match it's best year ever - 2002. Of course, it would have to sell almost 4M units in November & December to do so (like in 2002), but if it drops to $99...

Jan-Jun for each of these years.
Code:
Year          PS2             XBX           GCN
2002	2,481,071	  970,672	644,936
2003	2,319,026	  936,912	716,178
2004	1,847,507	1,364,859	712,651
2005	2,480,501	1,131,871	502,418

sonycowboy said:
I expect Sony to drop to $129 this year and save the $99 for when the PS3 launches. However, given the significant battle with Microsoft, I wouldn't be completely shocked if they went all the way down to $99

I see Sony dropping to $129 when X360 launches just to take mindshare and media column inches from X360 but not to compete for the same consumers (because after all they won't be)

PS2 really has no competition anymore and a drop to $99 won't happen for at least another year even beyond PS3 launch to offset losses on both PSP and PS3 hardware.

PSP = 294,000

fuck_yeah_200_225_PR.jpg

294,000 is impressive, PSP has it's foot comfortably wedged in the door now. About the only bad thing is that we'll have nothing but american style games to play on it since it's pointless for JP dev teams to work on new content for the PSP :lol

Zeo

Banned
Drinky Crow said:
PSP :D

Good times; good times. Gaming in North America is taking a nice stride forward.

I guess prettier graphics over gameplay is considered to be a "nice stride forward" then.

But people, come on. PSP and DS will be around for a while. They're both hits, with the chance of PSP sales declining in the next few months. But that doesn't mean it still won't sell good either.

They're both staying around.

Rhindle

Zeo said:
But people, come on. PSP and DS will be around for a while. They're both hits, with the chance of PSP sales declining in the next few months. But that doesn't mean it still won't sell good either.
If "hit" has a dual meaning that includes "borderline disaster" then you would be correct.

Zeo

Banned
Rhindle said:
If "hit" has a dual meaning that includes "borderline disaster" then you would be correct.

Uh, neither the PSP or DS are even close to disasters.. What the hell are you even talking about?

Speevy

Banned
1) Graphics over gameplay? The PSP's graphics are passable because they simulate what you see on a PS2. The gameplay is what has been solid, if review scores are any indication.

2) Nintendo and Sony should just call a truce. Neither one is going to have a nice time with the other around. Perhaps a PSP for which Nintendo collects all the revenue and publishes million selling games like Pokemon. Sony doesn't mind losing money, nor being market leader. Nintendo doesn't mind making money, while trailing the market leader. Win-win.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
michael000 said:
About the only bad thing is that we'll have nothing but american style games to play on it since it's pointless for JP dev teams to work on new content for the PSP :lol
There's 4 Japanese developed games in the NA LTD top ten for PSP:

Code:
NEED SPEED:UND RIVALS  EA  300,259 
TWISTED METAL:HEAD ON  SCEA  275,402 
UNTOLD LEGENDS:BTHRHD  SOE  260,135 
WIPEOUT PURE  SCEA  195,993 
RIDGE RACER  Namco  185,951 
METAL GEAR ACID  Konami  184,202 
T.HAWK UNDGRND2 REMIX  Activision  158,952 
LUMINES  Ubisoft  156,356 
APE ESCAPE:ON LOOSE  SCEA  127,104 
NBA  SCEA  123,407
3, if you want to leave Ape Escape off for being an SCE title. Japanese devs aren't dominating the charts but I wouldn't call it a "pointless" endeavor either.

Nintendo just really needs to come out of the gates with a game that demonstrates what makes the DS a seperate line from the Game Boy without using any pre-existing characters from their library.

In other words, fuck Kirby.

Get Electroplankton and Nintendogs stateside now.

Right now the DS just appears to consumers as a more expensive Game Boy.

I'm probably the only person who thinks that Rogue Agent did well on DS especially against the current Nintendo published DS catalog.

Cold-Steel said:
Get Electroplankton and Nintendogs stateside now.

Nintendogs should do well, but Electroplankton is a non-issue.

And I own Electroplankton...after the first 15mins, there is nothing to do.

krypt0nian said:
Nintendogs should do well, but Electroplankton is a non-issue.

And I own Electroplankton...after the first 15mins, there is nothing to do.

For most of us it will be overlooked, but I'd imagine there's an open market for a game like this with girl gamers and casual short-term gamers.

Top Bottom