• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June Hardware Sales Funtime

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
i have a feeling that nintendogs won't do as well as japan's release. it'll still sell a good number of copies, but i dont think it'll take over as the ds killer app. but what the hell do i know

cvxfreak

Wario64 said:
i have a feeling that nintendogs won't do as well as japan's release. it'll still sell a good number of copies, but i dont think it'll take over as the ds killer app. but what the hell do i know

We said that about Pokemon.........

dun dun dun

Go Pee Ess Pee!

:lol for Littlewig, BuzzJive, and Cooltrick, whose pro DS trolling is like clockwork. If there was a PSP vs. DS thread and they weren't there or they supported the PSP, I'd be worried.

Unison

oprah_avatar.jpg

Genius!

donny2112

Rhindle said:
June Hardware Sales

PSP = 294,000
PS2 = 355,000
Xbox = 168,000
GCN = 70,000
GBA/DS = 400,000 (approx)

donny2112 said:
Predictions

Hardware

PS2 - 225K
PSP - 190K
GBA - 180K
Xbox - 130K
DS - 120K
GCN - 50K

How wrong was I

PS2 - -37%
PSP - -35%
Xbox - -22%
GCN - -29%
GBA/DS - -25% (actually over on DS and under on GBA)

aka. I really stink for my first public shot at predictions. Good news (for me): I'll probably be better next month. :p

Mrbob said:
Oh really? Interesting. Too bad Pokemon will be out next year for DS. PSP is starting to get some huge momentum in the USA.

I wasn't paying attention to sales when Pokemon was first released on GameBoy, so I don't have first-hand info on how Pokemon release affects a new system (DS != GB/GBC/GBA). I hope you're right, but by the PSP would probably have long passed the DS, if all the stuff in June didn't get up the DS sales that much. :-/

Does this mean that non-games (UMD Movies) are pushing PSP sales!? :p

Barrage said:
I'm still shocked by how well the GBA continues to sell. When will the GBA fall behind the PSP and DS? It's already happened in Japan, but here, who knows. Especially considering when the GB Micro comes out. I can see Game Boy sales going strong well into 2006.

Yep. I'll definitely have to reconsider my thinking that GBA/GBMicro would be easily passed up by DS/PSP this fall.

Rhindle said:
DS sales got a weak bump due to free games + new color. That should dissipate fairly rapidly.

Unfortunately, I agree. :(

Rhindle said:
PSP weekly sales are tapering off slightly, but reaching a steady state at a very high level. PSP could be the dominant platform over the holidays with a price cut, GTA and the UMD format taking off.

With continued sales this high, what are the real possibilities of a Christmas PSP price cut? It seems they would want to let the $250 launch price ride at least through one Christmas.

Mrbob

I wasn't paying attention to sales when Pokemon was first released on GameBoy, so I don't have first-hand info on how Pokemon release affects a new system (DS != GB/GBC/GBA). I hope you're right, but by the PSP would probably have long passed the DS, if all the stuff in June didn't get up the DS sales that much. :-/

Does this mean that non-games (UMD Movies) are pushing PSP sales!? :p

Yeah it'll be interesting to see how Pokemon pushes a smaller installed base. Also, it will be intriguing to see how GTA: LCS pushes PSP sales. This isn't some hacked down version. It is going to be a big, living, breathing, open ended 3D world just like the console games. The impact could be huge. We've never seen a game like it in the portable arena before. Right now I'd say it is a combination of games and movies pushing the PSP. Just what Sony planned.

LM4sure said:
That's funny that the PSP is doing so well in the states but bombing over in Japan. Crazy.

Well, you gotta look at a couple factors. SCEA has done a hell of a better job supporting the PSP with movies and games than SCEI. Conversely, Nintendo of Japan has done a better job pushing the DS than Nintendo of America. I'd say NoAs window of opportunity to stretch things out is over.

I guess prettier graphics over gameplay is considered to be a "nice stride forward" then.

No, the PSP is graphics AND gameplay over crap. I'd much rather play one of my PSP games over ANYTHING on the DS save maybe Castlevania and Advance Wars, and neither of those two titles require anything resembling special controls to be as fun as hell.

CoolTrick

Banned
Cooltrick, whose pro DS trolling is like clockwork. If there was a PSP vs. DS thread and they weren't there or they supported the PSP, I'd be worried.

Considering how often you are branded a troll yourself, you are one to talk. Again, I do not even have a DS.

donny2112 said:
With continued sales this high, what are the real possibilities of a Christmas PSP price cut? It seems they would want to let the $250 launch price ride at least through one Christmas.

Yep no point in a price cut - maybe a bundleless version at $199 but I doubt that too.

Sales are just going to get higher with more UMD movies, music and games released and of course GTA:LCS.

From this evidence its clear PSP is creating a new multimedia handheld sector with future price drops appealing to more traditional handheld gamers.

CoolTrick said:
Considering how often you are branded a troll yourself, you are one to talk. Again, I do not even have a DS.

Yeah but I intentionally troll. An attack against the DS is an attack against you personally. Read a backlog of all your posts. If you can't figure that out, you are a genuine troll.

Donnie

Ok, so we're supposed to believe DS numbers with no official source what so ever, coming from a guy called Sonycowboy? :lol

I'm new to this forum(have been reading throw it for the last months, so I'm not entirely new, but... yeah it's just my first post), but I choose this sensitive topic to ask questions concerning the DS hardware numbers:
First of all, why do these numbers(the seperate DS numbers from June) come from a user that - as far as I know - has never posted any NPD numbers before? So why does this user know numbers that Bunkum and Co. don't know, even though they always post everything from NPD?
Second thing is, how reliable was this blog for the May numbers of the DS(these 57k)?
I just think that these hw numbers aren't that probable cause of the software sales. May software sales for the DS were ~200k which would mean that the DS had a monthly tie ratio of 3.5 in such an early stage, with nearly no new games in that month(who the hell should buy that many games?). June software sales for the DS were ~441k which would mean that it had a monthly tie ratio of nearly 4 with of course a few new games but 3 out of 5 released in the last 10 days of the month.
On the other hand we have the PSP with a monthly tie ratio of about ~2,4(except for the launch month which had about 1,7) WHICH IS ALLREADY INCREDIBLE GOOD. So why the hell should the DS have a that much better tie ratio in May and June(at least may is a very slow month where I see no reason for people buying relatively much software) with a... quite crappy lineup.

Sorry for the long post, I couldn't do it any shorter :)

Ah, I'm from Germany so please don't ride on my mistakes(I really hope everything I wrote is understandable) :D

CoolTrick

Banned
First of all, why do these numbers(the seperate DS numbers from June) come from a user that - as far as I know - has never posted any NPD numbers before?

Yes, Frankfurter, apparently people think this is an absurd question.

Shao

Drinky Crow said:
No, the PSP is graphics AND gameplay over crap. I'd much rather play one of my PSP games over ANYTHING on the DS save maybe Castlevania and Advance Wars, and neither of those two titles require anything resembling special controls to be as fun as hell.

PSP is gameplay + graphics? DS = crap? haha. You sound like an old man who's mind cannot grasp the newness that is being introduced to him. You're perfectly happy playing sequels to old series evidently. Fair enough, but why hate on new types of games? Not gonna impact on your way of living, if anything it should be interesting for any gamer to see what developers will come up with with new technology besides buttons and movement control, even if you dont buy it.

Backward compatibility alone makes DS a superior machine to PSP. GBA games aren't just GBA games anymore, they can be considered DS games too.

Not to mention the release list of scheduled DS-only games is one of the most appealing (and refreshing) of recent years for any gamer, the fact you refuse to acknowledge that is quite amusing. Isn't this act getting abit old now?

kaching said:
There's 4 Japanese developed games in the NA LTD top ten for PSP:

Code:
NEED SPEED:UND RIVALS  EA  300,259 
TWISTED METAL:HEAD ON  SCEA  275,402 
UNTOLD LEGENDS:BTHRHD  SOE  260,135 
WIPEOUT PURE  SCEA  195,993 
RIDGE RACER  Namco  185,951 
METAL GEAR ACID  Konami  184,202 
T.HAWK UNDGRND2 REMIX  Activision  158,952 
LUMINES  Ubisoft  156,356 
APE ESCAPE:ON LOOSE  SCEA  127,104 
NBA  SCEA  123,407
3, if you want to leave Ape Escape off for being an SCE title. Japanese devs aren't dominating the charts but I wouldn't call it a "pointless" endeavor either.

I was more commenting on if they have an initial choice of working on DS and PSP if they're making a game. ATM the DS is wiping it's ass with the PSP in JP and things will only get worse over there since there are no high profile games even on the horizon to slow the DS down. That being the case the choice is a no brainer on which system to dev for. Of course if they port it over here anything can happen but most JP dev teams don't really take that into account.

Lionheart

Frankfurter said:
I'm new to this forum(have been reading throw it for the last months, so I'm not entirely new, but... yeah it's just my first post), but I choose this sensitive topic to ask questions concerning the DS hardware numbers:
First of all, why do these numbers(the seperate DS numbers from June) come from a user that - as far as I know - has never posted any NPD numbers before? So why does this user know numbers that Bunkum and Co. don't know, even though they always post everything from NPD?
Second thing is, how reliable was this blog for the May numbers of the DS(these 57k)?
I just think that these hw numbers aren't that probable cause of the software sales. May software sales for the DS were ~200k which would mean that the DS had a monthly tie ratio of 3.5 in such an early stage, with nearly no new games in that month(who the hell should buy that many games?). June software sales for the DS were ~441k which would mean that it had a monthly tie ratio of nearly 4 with of course a few new games but 3 out of 5 released in the last 10 days of the month.
On the other hand we have the PSP with a monthly tie ratio of about ~2,4(except for the launch month which had about 1,7) WHICH IS ALLREADY INCREDIBLE GOOD. So why the hell should the DS have a that much better tie ratio in May and June(at least may is a very slow month where I see no reason for people buying relatively much software) with a... quite crappy lineup.

Sorry for the long post, I couldn't do it any shorter :)

Ah, I'm from Germany so please don't ride on my mistakes(I really hope everything I wrote is understandable) :D
A few things:

NPD releases three different sets of numbers: one is for software, one is for hardware and one is for accessoires. bunkum only has access to one of them (software) or he is only allowed to post the software numbers and can't post hardware numbers. So it could be the other way around for others.

Also, like someone mentioned in this topic, sc does not lie about NPD numbers. So when he confirms the numbers of someone else saying they are '100 % real', they are real. He also said something similar in the topic about the 57k number of the DS in May.

About the tie ratios: I guess when hardware numbers are that bad, it's easier to have a high tie ratio as there already is an existing user base that hasn't bought too many games in the months before.

@CoolTrick
Yes, Frankfurter, apparently people think this is an absurd question.

That's what I thought :D

@Lionheart
A few things: NPD releases three different sets of numbers: one is for software, one is for hardware and one is for accessoires. bunkum only has access to one of them (software) or he is only allowed to post the software numbers and can't post hardware numbers. Also, like someone mentioned in this topic, sc does not lie about NPD numbers. So when he confirms the numbers of someone else saying they are '100 % real', they are real. He also said something similar in the topic about the 57k number of the DS in May.

Hmm, so Bunkum isn't the one to ask for hardware numbers, that's okay. But Rhindle posted them, so he of course seems to get the numbers. Now I have to ask why he didn't post the seperate DS/GBA numbers in it's initial post? Or why didn't he edit his post as the other user posted the seperate DS numbers? I for my part think that's a bit strange!

BuzzJive

The Experiment said:
:lol for Littlewig, BuzzJive, and Cooltrick, whose pro DS trolling is like clockwork. If there was a PSP vs. DS thread and they weren't there or they supported the PSP, I'd be worried.

Um - I've made less than 150 posts total - and less than 50 probably have to do with the DS. But I'll be sure to think of you next time I have anything positive to say about the DS.

Lionheart

Frankfurter said:
Hmm, so Bunkum isn't the one to ask for hardware numbers, that's okay. But Rhindle posted them, so he of course seems to get the numbers. Now I have to ask why he didn't post the seperate DS/GBA numbers in it's initial post? Or why didn't he edit his post as the other user posted the seperate DS numbers? I for my part think that's a bit strange!
Rhindle posts the numbers as they are reported by CSFB. That firm just posts some NPD numbers (or just the change (+/- %) in sales compared to the previous month / year) and adds their comments I think and they apparently don't see the need to post GBA / DS numbers seperately. Rhindle does not have access to NPD numbers directly I think.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
CVXFREAK said:
We said that about Pokemon.........

dun dun dun

POKéMON had the anime running 5 days a week for a couple of months in advance of its US release. Nintendon't have that for the dogs.

I agree with the whoever pointed out that the PSP is selling because it is "cool." Sony has a great image in the American market, and their style is always a plus. The PSP not only looks cooler than the DS, but it also has the more appealing hardware for the tech nerds, early adopters, and graphic whores.

DS is certainly not seen as cool, and I'd say it is probably borderline embarrasing to be seen in public with one if you're over 16. Nintendo definately has an image that will probably never again have mass appeal to the older audience.

With that said, it will be interesting to see what the ratio of games owned per system is for the DS and the PSP. Because the "cool" factor of the PSP, I see a lot of people buying it, playing with it for a few months, and then forgetting about it, or using it more for UMD movies. As of right now, I just don't see any game on the system selling the PSP to the consumer. Hell, I love wipeout, but I can play it elsewhere and not have to lay down 250 bucks.

donny2112

Rhindle has access to the CSFB (Credit Suisse First Boston ?) numbers (a group that has access to the NPD numbers and posts a summary of the sales), and CSFB combined GBA/DS numbers. As much as it would play into Nintendo's favor to think there is some conspiracy going on against them with people posting numbers, there's not.

Personally, I question NPD's estimation of Wal-Mart numbers, when there's an unusual sale (the Mario 64 DS pack-in was carried at Wal-Mart every week of the sale whereas other stores varied from week to week). However, there's no way to verify NPD's method/formula, so debating it is pointless. 112K for June is what we have for DS <period> 57K for May is what we have for DS <period> Whether someone chooses to believe them or not doesn't change the numbers. They're all we have.

Also, I think 112K is a reasonable number for June.

Weekly sales in May for DS: 14.25K
<Nintendo reported 86% increase in sales after sale started around June 12>
14.25K*1.86~=26.5K

Therefore, we'd have 14.25K/week for first two weeks of June and 26.5K/week for the last three weeks of June.

14.25K*2 + 26.5K*3 = 108K

That's almost dead-on with the reported 112K from NPD.

In other words, stop trying to say the numbers are wrong and just accept them. There is plenty of circumstantial evidence (the only kind you get unless you have access to NPD numbers) supporting the two totals, and no evidence against it.

Sorry.

@Lionheart+donny
Rhindle posts the numbers as they are reported by CSFB. That firm just posts some NPD numbers (or just the change (+/- %) in sales compared to the previous month / year) and adds their comments I think and they apparently don't see the need to post GBA / DS numbers seperately. Rhindle does not have access to NPD numbers directly I think.

Rhindle has access to the CSFB (Credit Suisse First Boston ?) numbers (a group that has access to the NPD numbers and posts a summary of the sales), and CSFB combined GBA/DS numbers.

Ok, that clears up things a bit. On the other hand the main point still stands and I find it even more questionable that obviously none of the big internetsites(I only know that gamefront.de is quite big and that they are sometimes even quoted here; oh yeah, I read the great thread with the "Erstauslieferungsmenge"(which would be worth a million points in scrabble :D ) of Jump Super stars: GREAT READ!) doesn't have direct access to NPD numbers, but one user - that never posted NPD numbers before - has.
I really don't say that these two numbers are wrong - I'm just not sure why I should trust the source.
Btw. is there any chance that CSFB could change their system and give single numbers for DS and GBA(as it was in November and December 2004 and atleast we got numbers for January and Feb/Mar combined very lately)? Perhaps when the overall performance is getting better(so if we approach christmas) or if GBA's sales are getting worse and worse?

Edit: I almost give up in terms of the May and June numbers..., gamefront.de now has the 57k and 112k in their list(and I think they didn't just write these numbers in the list cause of a post in this forum :D ) :)

cvxfreak

Lindsay said:
POKéMON had the anime running 5 days a week for a couple of months in advance of its US release. Nintendon't have that for the dogs.

:lol (@ Nintendon't)

Nintendogs is much easier to advertise using traditional commercials than the original, unexposed Pokemon games were. I think where Nintendogs lacks (anime), can make up for in well-done, well-timed, well-placed commercials, and advertisements. I'm not expecting Pokemon levels, but I'm expecting a success.

CoolTrick

Banned
I am sure you would be asking the same thing if some source who has never given hardware numbers before showed the DS outselling the PSP in the US.

Frankfurter said:
Edit: I almost give up in terms of the May and June numbers..., gamefront.de now has the 57k and 112k in their list(and I think they didn't just write these numbers in the list cause of a post in this forum :D ) :)

:lol :lol :lol

It's from GAF, as usual. (although, the first person to "break" the May numbers was the writer from the SJ Mercury). Don't you find it strange how they haven't listed April's?

The 112k came from this forum, look at the numbers. They're all Rhindle's rounded numbers. No exact numbers at all.

@sonycowboy
It's from GAF, as usual. (although, the first person to "break" the May numbers was the writer from the SJ Mercury). Don't you find it strange how they haven't listed April's? The 112k came from this forum.

Hmm..., great. I just hope that we'll get a summary of the hw numbers anytime during this year(especially cause the April hw numbers are completely missing).

Does this look familiar? Note the exact numbers for PS2, Xbox, & GC.

Code:
JAHRESVERGLEICH HARDWARE-ABSATZ 2002 - 2005 (Januar - Juni)

Zeitraum          Playstation2       Xbox       Gamecube
--------------------------------------------------------------------
2002 Jan-Juni     2.481.071         970.672      644.936
2003 Jan-Juni     2.319.026         936.912      716.178
2004 Jan-Juni     1.847.507       1.364.859      712.651
2005 Jan-Juni     2.480.501       1.131.871      502.418

=================================================================================
* Hochrechnungen

http://new.ga-forum.com/showpost.php?p=1673816&postcount=136

Sonycowboy said:
PS2 is on essentially track to match it's best year ever - 2002. Of course, it would have to sell almost 4M units in November & December to do so (like in 2002), but if it drops to $99...

Jan-Jun for each of these years.
Code:
Year          PS2             XBX           GCN
2002	2,481,071	  970,672	644,936
2003	2,319,026	  936,912	716,178
2004	1,847,507	1,364,859	712,651
2005	2,480,501	1,131,871	502,418

donny2112

Frankfurter said:
Btw. is there any chance that CSFB could change their system and give single numbers for DS and GBA(as it was in November and December 2004 and atleast we got numbers for January and Feb/Mar combined very lately)? Perhaps when the overall performance is getting better(so if we approach christmas) or if GBA's sales are getting worse and worse?

That's what I figure, too. When the DS numbers become more significant, they'll probably list them separately again.

jett

D-Member
Drinky Crow said:

You know, at the end of the day, it's ugly 3D vs. uglier 3D. I'm sticking to mah consoles.

I somehow forsee Nintendogs bombing as well.

I cant picture jumping all over it when I see no one run into my store preordering, and when they pass by Standee's that bark at them saying "Nintendogs" they dont question what the game is they just go "WTF this shit scared me!"

With Pokemon the show itself, plus the countless articles in gaming magazines helped expose it. Literally I read Pokemon in Nintendo Power many months before it came to the states and instantly got hyped, while Nintendogs, yea Nintendo Power may leave a small snippet about but wont go into much detail until this past issue (Shadow on Cover) where they actually talk about the game into some sort of detail.

Plus no other gaming mags really are focusing on whats suppose to be the next big thing. Really this game is aiming toward the people who own Pokemon games, and currently none of them know about this game other then the people who scower over forums endlessly daily and read up on gaming news *stares at myself and everyone else*

Nintendo really needs to build up some hype.. Whats with me seeing NFSU:2 for DS ads and Metroid Prime Hunter ad's literally 2-8ish months in advance of the game being released and not one on Nintendogs a game thats coming out next month and is suppose to be the next "big" thing.

I can only hope it does good or else I smell doom toward the 4th quarter for Nintendo where they are relying on Mario Kart online and Wifi when not everyone uses Wifi as of yet, nor will kids understand how to use it.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
michael000 said:
I was more commenting on if they have an initial choice of working on DS and PSP if they're making a game.
Of course you were. Nice job on qualifying a pretty unequivocal statement after the fact.

ATM the DS is wiping it's ass with the PSP in JP and things will only get worse over there since there are no high profile games even on the horizon to slow the DS down. That being the case the choice is a no brainer on which system to dev for. Of course if they port it over here anything can happen but most JP dev teams don't really take that into account.
Yes, and the PS2 wiping its ass with the GC AND Xbox in Japan sure did stop all original content production by Japanese devs for those two platforms, didn't it?

Nintendogs will be successful in America but it won't be the OMGSUCCESSAWESOME that most people here are hoping. I'd say at the very most 300,000 or 400,000 per Dog game and thats throughout a course of months into years, not right away.

DS isn't wiping its ass with PSP if PSP is just doing half. In that case, PSP is pissing, puking, and shitting on the DS in the US since its outselling it in nearly a 3:1 ratio.

Pokémon had a lot of things going for it more than the Dogs. It had a TV show, playing cards, toys, etc. Plus it was during the mini pet franchise where it seemed like everyone under 10 and a disturbing amount of people over 10 had some kind of electronic digital pet. I think I even had one but I was pretty young.

dannyQ

anyone remember Animal Crossing ? and how it wouldn't sell here

well guess what it sold more in NA than in Japan :)

GamerShu

Banned
im not too sure...i know tons of people (mainly girls) who are buying the DS or who just recently bought the DS to play Nintendogs.

Its going to be the next pokemon

@The Experiment
Nintendogs will be successful in America but it won't be the OMGSUCCESSAWESOME that most people here are hoping. I'd say at the very most 300,000 or 400,000 per Dog game and thats throughout a course of months into years, not right away.

I would say that 300-400k per version would a absolutely great success - I think all the three versions combined will have an LTD of 1-1.5 millions in a few years, which would mean that they'll sell more than in Japan(they will probably end up at 0.8-1.0 million there).
And I really don't see them selling that much right from the start. Perhaps the dogs will start with about 100k combined in August(which of course isn't bad, as they release at Aug ~22), but if they get a few great reviews(and it's quite sure that the average of the reviews will be about 85-90%) they probably will sell quite constantly.

ziran

worthy competition in the handheld arena is a great thing imo. i see both psp and ds doing well in the long term.

as for nintendogs i think it will be a big seller in the west. wanting a pet is universal. it's not some bizarre japanese title, it's something that appeals to a mass audience. ubisoft's petz series has sold 2 million worldwide, so it's clear the concept of a virual pet is already very popular.

Flo_Evans

nice PSP numbers! (I hate to be late to the discussion but I was away from a computer all weekend^^; )

I have to wonder what the GBA micro will do to the market. I personaly already have 2 devices that can play GBA games (3 if you want to count the PSPs emulation) I haven't really kept up with GBA releases, but what else is currently in development? I would assume with GBA HW selling so well software is still moving on the machine. In JPN at least gamers have moved on to the DS, what will the micro do over there?

Over here I could see nintendo making a nice profit off of the micro, but at the expense of the DS. I said it in last months thread, and I'll say it again: The DS looks to be uncomftrably caught in the middle here in the US. Parents/kids are still buying the GBA over the DS. 18+ are buying the PSP. Nintendo keeps hoping all these girl and non-gamers will buy it, but that doesn't seem to be happening over here. I question if that is even happening in japan, or if its the traditional GBA audience upgrading.

donny2112

PezRadar said:
Really this game is aiming toward the people who own Pokemon games, ...

No. It's aiming towards people who love puppies whether they play video games now or not. ;-) There is no "Gotta catch 'em all" for the puppies. :lol

The Experiment said:
I'd say at the very most 300,000 or 400,000 per Dog game and thats throughout a course of months into years, not right away.

Nintendogs releases on August 22nd, so it should be on store shelves August 24th. Based on the 4/4/5 method sonycowboy mentioned for NPD weeks, August will be a four week month, so it will include probably four full days of puppy sales. I'd say that the three versions combined will probably easily sell 100K in those four days. 200K is not outside the realm of possibility.

Also, it launches at $30 for a system that will already have a 2+ million install base. If people actually get a chance to see this game (commercials, news items, non-gamer magazine articles, etc.), the puppies' spread will be infectious. :)

Frankfurter said:
I would say that 300-400k per version would a absolutely great success - I think all the three versions combined will have an LTD of 1-1.5 millions in a few years, which would mean that they'll sell more than in Japan(they will probably end up at 0.8-1.0 million there).

Japan should reach 1 million by the end of this year. Nintendogs still sells 15K-20K/week in Japan 3 months after it's release. ;-)

Frankfurter said:
@The Experiment

And I really don't see them selling that much right from the start. Perhaps the dogs will start with about 100k combined in August(which of course isn't bad, as they release at Aug ~22), but if they get a few great reviews(and it's quite sure that the average of the reviews will be about 85-90%) they probably will sell quite constantly.

They'll do better for the holidays. I don't think this will be a consistent seller but a person might like one Dog, then get the other two carts later. 300-400k is good but I was hearing stuff like a million each in America and other unreasonably high expectations. As much as people want it to be a success, I doubt that will ever happen.

No. It's aiming towards people who love puppies whether they play video games now or not

I have a puppy and don't intend to get Nintendogs. The market here is children. This is why it can get easily compared with Pokémon. Don't expect teenagers and above to be loud and proud at owning Nintendogs.

donny2112

The Experiment said:
I have a puppy and don't intend to get Nintendogs.

I said it was aiming at people who like puppies, not that it'd hit all of them.

The Experiment said:
The market here is children.

Nintendo always tries to make games that can be good for kids, but I think this game has a much wider target audience of adults (30+, probably not really into games) and a serious push at women. I believe Nintendo has said that 40% of sales of Nintendogs has been to women in Japan.

The Experiment said:
Don't expect teenagers and above to be loud and proud at owning Nintendogs.

Male teenagers to 30 years old guys? Probably not. Non-gamers and women? I expect it to be a decently big fad amongst them if Nintendo actually gets the word out. ;-)

Top Bottom